Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any CM's here know the real reason the trams aren't running?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any CM's here know the real reason the trams aren't running?

Looking for some insight as to why the trams still aren't running? After being closed for over a year, and now open for over just shy of 3 months I find it deplorable that they aren't up and operational. I saw the Fresh Baked video awhile back saying that they are simply old and run down, but I'm not buying it. If this was the case, they mean to tell us that they didn't know about the condition of the trams prior to closing? Were they planning on not offering the tram service for months on end even if the shutdown never happened? Paying $25 to park in the M&F/PP garages and having to walk to/from the parks is an absolute joke. (yes I know many opted to walk before the shutdown (including myself), and I know you can park at Toy Story and take their bus shuttle) Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't placed any ODV units along the tram path.
    Big Thunder Ranch > Galaxys Edge

I have been very curious about this as well. The trams are very similar to the same vehicle as the many Airport luggage shuttle's but re-themed to look unique to Disneyland. ( the previous version shuttles were also based of the luggage and runway trams if I remember correctly )

These things are work horses and likely run diesel engines if not electric which either are super reliable and very maintainable for almost unlimited usage with proper maintenance. I do know our last 2 trips pre Covid in early 2020 we saw at least one shuttle having broken down on the path about half way each visit. I wonder if they were facing some much needed maintenance and once it seems like a park close was eminent chapek felt he could squeeze out enough to get them to the upcoming closure, then when the closure looked like it might be indefinite these trans were all left idle and because of this now need extensive maintenance which chapek can't handle because it effects his bottom line for what he is willing to allow for the parks budget.
    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

David talked about this on a FreshBaked episode. It has to do with maintenance. The fleet is old and hasn't been running for a while, so it would require lots of $$ to either buy new trams or overhaul the old ones.

Comment

Originally posted by brerphysicist View Post
        David talked about this on a FreshBaked episode. It has to do with maintenance. The fleet is old and hasn't been running for a while, so it would require lots of $$ to either buy new trams or overhaul the old ones.
        Exactly. The sole issue preventing the trams from running is that Disney doesn't want to spend the money.

Everything in the park gets old. Everything wears down. Everything needs maintenance. Keeping everything running (and running safely) is part of the cost of operating a theme park.

But Disney would rather fatten their bottom line than give their footsore customers a ride to the parking lot after a long day at Disneyland.
        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Exactly. The sole issue preventing the trams from running is that Disney doesn't want to spend the money.

Everything in the park gets old. Everything wears down. Everything needs maintenance. Keeping everything running (and running safely) is part of the cost of operating a theme park.

But Disney would rather fatten their bottom line than give their footsore customers a ride to the parking lot after a long day at Disneyland.
          BINGO - Operation Cost and Get the Guest walk by Stores/Cart
          coming and going in Down Town Disney to the parking area

Another Word "GREED"IMO
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I'm reminded of the time when Disney wouldn't even order new Monorails for WDW until guests were forced to sit in the cabin 30 feet above Florida swampland with the door wide open.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post

I'm reminded of the time when Disney wouldn't even order new Monorails for WDW until guests were forced to sit in the cabin 30 feet above Florida swampland with the door wide open.
              "AMAZING''
              door wide open ,OVER swampland !
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I don't buy the maintenance issue. Any semi-competent fleet manager tracks maintenance, engine hours and mileage. Disney has a limited number of tugs so they could buy 1 per year, and slowly rotate out the fleet.

I think a more plausible reason is that the drivers and maintainers found other work. Tug drivers have a CDL and can find work with any number of trucking companies. Tug maintenance is nothing really difficult or unique and the techs can go nearly anywhere..

So Disney is going to either pay up and get the certified drivers and techs to come back, or start a new training program to get drivers certified.
                Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
                  I don't buy the maintenance issue. Any semi-competent fleet manager tracks maintenance, engine hours and mileage. Disney has a limited number of tugs so they could buy 1 per year, and slowly rotate out the fleet.

I think a more plausible reason is that the drivers and maintainers found other work. Tug drivers have a CDL and can find work with any number of trucking companies. Tug maintenance is nothing really difficult or unique and the techs can go nearly anywhere..

So Disney is going to either pay up and get the certified drivers and techs to come back, or start a new training program to get drivers certified.
                  IMO
                  I also don't buy the maintenance issue........
                  Again it more $Operation Saving Money$ Issue
                  Their bottom line

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Let's not forget the cost-savings Pressler/Harriss era when systematic deferred maintenance and lack of proper training (allegedly) resulted in tragedy on Big Thunder and Columbia. We owe it to those victims to keep the subject in focus.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...ey9-story.html
                    Last edited by merlinjones; 07-22-2021, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MRaymond View Post

I'm thinking about the bread machine at Boudin bakery. DLR has been out of bread bowls since reopening because they only shut down the machine for short-term downtime and didn't maintain it for the long-term closure. If not a single soul touched the trams for over a year, then maybe it's a similar situation (since neither are back yet). But I agree, if they didn't hire back drivers/crew, aren't offering enough pay, etc., then that would be prohibitive.

Comment

It’s almost certainly due to staffing. The Toy Story Buses are contracted out so they’re able to run. At this point they should do something similar for the trams.
                        Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Comment

"No trams" is a 7-way win for Disney:
                          - No need to pay drivers
                          - No need to pay employees to train new drivers
                          - No need to pay maintenance workers
                          - No need to pay crowd control CMs at the loading queues
                          - No need to pay for parts
                          - No need to pay for fuel
                          - No need to pay for operating insurance

And the biggest win of all:
                          - There's no pressure to get the trams running, because the customers don't care. Some complain, but it doesn't stop them from giving Disney their money.

Given the above profit-friendly reality, you can be assured that no TDA or Parks exec is going to risk their reputation by pushing upper management to spend money on the trams.
                          "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                          - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                          - Bob Chapek

Comment

"No trams" is a 7-way win for Disney:
                            - No need to pay drivers
                            - No need to pay employees to train new drivers
                            - No need to pay maintenance workers
                            - No need to pay crowd control CMs at the loading queues
                            - No need to pay for parts
                            - No need to pay for fuel
                            - No need to pay for operating insurance

And the biggest win of all:
                            - There's no pressure to get the trams running, because the customers don't care. Some complain, but it doesn't stop them from giving Disney their money.

Given the above profit-friendly reality, you can be assured that no TDA or Parks exec is going risk their reputation by pushing upper management to spend money on the trams.
                            Nail on the Head again..........
                            Specially
                            No pressure to get the trams running, because the customers don't care.
                            Some complain, but it doesn't stop them from giving Disney their money.
                            $ Win-Win for Disney $
                            imo
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

David Koenig shared on Twitter that he has been talking to CMs about the trams and shared his thoughts on Twitter. Some CMs don't think they will return for a couple of years because (1) no work was done on them during the closure, leading to rats making homes in the tractors, chewing through wires, etc., and (2) TDA wants to replace them with electric trams, likely a more significant expense than repairing or buying new CNG tractors.

Because there are no trams, you may see security stationed along the route to help people who thought they could make the walk without a wheelchair but actually end up needing assistance. It looks like another reply says TDA isn't pulling the trigger because it's waiting until enough guests complain.

Comment

David Koenig shared on Twitter that he has been talking to CMs about the trams and shared his thoughts on Twitter. Some CMs don't think they will return for a couple of years because (1) no work was done on them during the closure, leading to rats making homes in the tractors, chewing through wires, etc., and (2) TDA wants to replace them with electric trams, likely a more significant expense than repairing or buying new CNG tractors.

Because there are no trams, you may see security stationed along the route to help people who thought they could make the walk without a wheelchair but actually end up needing assistance. It looks like another reply says TDA isn't pulling the trigger because it's waiting until enough guests complain.
                                I should take a shot every time Disney doesn't surprise me.

Comment

David Koenig [URL="https://twitter.com/davekoenig/status/1419387884688187392?s=20"]

If Disney wants New CNG tractors- They can get New ones......
                                  and a New Bus for wheelchair guest.........
                                  TDA saving on operation cost , pure and simple!

"THE TRUE RATS are in Burbank Ca at the corporation office "
                                  IMO
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

It's always about the dollars with Disney. Always.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                                      It's always about the dollars with Disney. Always.
                                      and "NO" Sense (cents)
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

With the reservation system, could guests even get their money back if they objected to the walk from parking lot - or is it too late to cancel?

What about concern for (non wheelchair) medical issues or extreme weather?

Could they rent/hire third party buses or trams to do the job like at WDW?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X