• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Disney to require all U.S. employees to have COVID-19 vaccinations

Disney to require employees to have COVID-19 vaccinations

Los Angeles Times
    July 30, 2021

Walt Disney Co. is taking an unprecedented step to require employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19. The new policy could eventually be extended to cover tens of thousands of workers at Disney’s theme parks, including in Anaheim and Orlando.

The sweeping decision comes amid a rise in cases of the Delta variant.

“At the Walt Disney Co., the safety and well-being of our employees during the pandemic has been and continues to be a top priority,” the company said Friday afternoon in a statement.

“Based on the latest recommendations of scientists, health officials and our own medical professionals that the COVID-19 vaccine provides the best protection against severe infection, we are requiring that all salaried and non-union hourly employees in the U.S. working at any of our sites be fully vaccinated,” Disney said.

Disney employs more than 200,000 workers.

Earlier this week, Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood and other theme parks said they would require guests to wear masks in all indoor settings, regardless of vaccination status.

The Burbank entertainment colossus said Friday it has begun negotiations with union officials with the goal of extending the vaccination policy to cover those in bargaining units, including theme park workers and movie and television production crews.
    Vaccinations will also be required for all new employees.

“Employees who aren’t already vaccinated and are working on-site will have 60 days from today to complete their protocols and any employees still working from home will need to provide verification of vaccination prior to their return, with certain limited exceptions,” Disney said in the statement. “Vaccines are the best tool we all have to help control this global pandemic and protect our employees.”

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Disney to Mandate COVID-19 Vaccinations for All U.S. Staffers

Hollywood Reporter
    July 30, 2021

All salaried and non-union hourly Disney employees in the United States will need to be vaccinated against COVID-19, The Walt Disney Co. said Friday.

Staffers working at any of the company’s sites must be fully vaccinated. Employees who aren’t already vaccinated and are working on-site will have 60 days to get the jab, the company said. Proof of vaccination will be required and all new employees must be vaccinated.

Talks with the unions about the requirement are underway. “At The Walt Disney Company, the safety and well-being of our employees during the pandemic has been and continues to be a top priority. Vaccines are the best tool we all have to help control this global pandemic and protect our employees,” read Disney’s statement.

The news comes as Disney pumped the brakes on lifting pandemic restrictions at its domestic theme parks, once again requiring all staff and guests to wear masks — regardless of vaccination status — while indoors at Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

The updates come as COVID-19 cases are skyrocketing in parts of the country due to the highly contagious delta variant. Large employers, including Google, Facebook and Walmart, have unveiled vaccination policies for employees in the past week.

On July 28, Netflix disclosed that it was making COVID-19 vaccinations mandatory on its U.S. film and TV projects in Zone A of sets, the part of the set where actors work. Netflix’s policy change occurred days after Hollywoods major studios and guilds released new set safety protocols July 19, including giving producers “the option to implement mandatory vaccination policies for casts and crew in Zone A on a production-by-production basis.”

Disney World has been opened since 2020. Disneyland reopened April 30. Since that time, the daily capacity has been increased as state restrictions were eased. However, all guests still need to make a reservation in addition to purchasing a ticket.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Good. 👏

Also shoutout to Netflix for getting the ball rolling on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
        Good. 👏

Also shoutout to Netflix for getting the ball rolling on this one.
        Agreed. It's about dang time companies step in to get the ball rolling. Not just Netflix, but the UC/CSUs, federal government, military, etc.

Comment

Hoorah, a definite step in the right direction! But it sounds as if some/the majority of 'public facing' park CMs wouldn't fall under this mandate (at this time). Aren't most of them union, outside of supervisors and managers?

It's going to be interesting to see what stand unions are going to take on this issue. Not just Disney's, all unions.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Even those with immunity from natural infection?

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
              Hoorah,
              I AGREE

It's going to be interesting to see what stand unions are going to take on this issue. Not just Disney's, all unions.
              You would think unions be for mandate.....?....
              What I have read on the News......Most Business are doing the same !
              and I sure it would hold out in most courts . IMO

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

https://www.micechat.com/297599-brea...for-employees/

Part of the update reveals the following:

"We were recently sent an email from a Disneyland employee notified that he, and many of the co-workers at his location, would need to quarantine because someone at his location had tested positive for Covid-19. Disney obviously hopes that mandatory vaccinations will help them stay open as the current surge plays out (and potential others to follow this fall) and decrease pressures to potentially close office buildings and theme parks again."

Comment

I just read it on the NEWS

Attention all WAL-MART customer 's -"wear your mask"........
                  and I sure TARGET is also going back as well !
                  Last edited by Eagleman; 07-30-2021, 07:02 PM.
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Fenix View Post
                    Yes.

Covid Q&A: Will delta make me sick again?

Regardless of whatever variants are circulating, it’s important to get vaccinated even if you have already had Covid-19. We simply don’t understand how long protective immunity lasts after getting Covid. It’s likely that it varies from person to person. Studies have suggested vaccines provide a significant boost in immunity to people who have already had the virus — and a surer bet of protection against delta and whatever other variant comes along. While we don’t yet know how long protective immunity from vaccines last, it’s clear that immunity lasts for at least six months and potentially far longer.

Now, to the question at hand. For advice here we turn to Andrew Noymer, a professor of public health at University of California, Irvine.

Researchers are investigating how likely people are to get Covid-19 a second time. At present, we know that reinfection can happen, as can so-called breakthrough infections in people who are fully vaccinated.

More research on delta is needed, but a new study suggested the variant is able to evade natural antibodies made in our bodies after infection. Looking at blood drawn from 162 patients, scientists found that while antibodies from people infected with Sars-CoV-2 didn’t neutralize delta very well, after just one vaccine dose, antibodies from people with a previous infection were able to neutralize all four strains of the virus tested.

Antibodies from people who had only one dose of a vaccine and hadn’t previously been infected with the virus didn’t fare as well. Antibodies from people who were fully vaccinated but hadn’t had Covid performed well, confirming other evidence that the vaccines are extremely effective against delta. The early evidence suggests that if you’re unvaccinated—whether you’ve had Covid or not—you are more vulnerable to delta infection. Once again: vaccination for the win.

Noymer says the real significance of delta isn’t that it makes people sicker, but that it spreads so quickly — creating more opportunities for infection, and more opportunities for new variants to form that may be better at evading vaccines.

Other variants, he says, are “waiting in the wings.” There are more than enough unvaccinated people in the U.S. to start a new wave of Covid infections, according to Noymer.

”There may be a variant that comes around the corner where the vaccines don’t work,” he says.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Yes.

Covid Q&A: Will delta make me sick again?

Regardless of whatever variants are circulating, it’s important to get vaccinated even if you have already had Covid-19. We simply don’t understand how long protective immunity lasts after getting Covid. It’s likely that it varies from person to person. Studies have suggested vaccines provide a significant boost in immunity to people who have already had the virus — and a surer bet of protection against delta and whatever other variant comes along. While we don’t yet know how long protective immunity from vaccines last, it’s clear that immunity lasts for at least six months and potentially far longer.

Now, to the question at hand. For advice here we turn to Andrew Noymer, a professor of public health at University of California, Irvine.

Researchers are investigating how likely people are to get Covid-19 a second time. At present, we know that reinfection can happen, as can so-called breakthrough infections in people who are fully vaccinated.

More research on delta is needed, but a new study suggested the variant is able to evade natural antibodies made in our bodies after infection. Looking at blood drawn from 162 patients, scientists found that while antibodies from people infected with Sars-CoV-2 didn’t neutralize delta very well, after just one vaccine dose, antibodies from people with a previous infection were able to neutralize all four strains of the virus tested.

Antibodies from people who had only one dose of a vaccine and hadn’t previously been infected with the virus didn’t fare as well. Antibodies from people who were fully vaccinated but hadn’t had Covid performed well, confirming other evidence that the vaccines are extremely effective against delta. The early evidence suggests that if you’re unvaccinated—whether you’ve had Covid or not—you are more vulnerable to delta infection. Once again: vaccination for the win.

Noymer says the real significance of delta isn’t that it makes people sicker, but that it spreads so quickly — creating more opportunities for infection, and more opportunities for new variants to form that may be better at evading vaccines.

Other variants, he says, are “waiting in the wings.” There are more than enough unvaccinated people in the U.S. to start a new wave of Covid infections, according to Noymer.

”There may be a variant that comes around the corner where the vaccines don’t work,” he says.

Questionable. Mandating someone with naturally acquired immunity to get 2 doses of an MRNA vaccine I'm not sure is supported by any quality medical evidence. Will they allow them to get only 1 dose if they choose? The failure to recognize natural immunity is concerning.

Comment

Questionable. Mandating someone with naturally acquired immunity to get 2 doses of an MRNA vaccine I'm not sure is supported by any quality medical evidence. Will they allow them to get only 1 dose if they choose? The failure to recognize natural immunity is concerning.
                        A note for the readers of this thread...

This member habitually disputes and denies scientific evidence and medical guidance about masking and vaccines.

For those who wish to engage with him, he has dozens of such posts in the Debate Lounge, which is where MiceChat allows these debates to happen -- not here in the DLR forum.

If you don't have access to the Debate Lounge, send a PM to PhotoMatt and he'll give you access.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                          I AGREE

You would think unions be for mandate.....?....
                          What I have read on the News......Most Business are doing the same !
                          and I sure it would hold out in most courts . IMO
                          You would think so, wouldn't you, since unions are supposed to be about protecting the worker. The union I belonged to certainly would because (at that time) it would have been the desire of the majority of its members. But I suppose there are locations around the country where the majority of members of a union may be inclined the other way.

I think it would hold up in court, too. Free enterprise and all that. To me, it would be a 'condition of employment' like requiring steel-toed boots, a dress code, or keeping one's license/certificate current. If you don't want to comply with a particular employer's work requirements, you don't take (or keep) a job with that employer.

But I think I'm straying into 'political territory' so as Forrest Gump said "And that's all I have to say about that".
                          "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Oh, and this thread was going so well...

I encourage users to use the flag button, not because of dissenting opinions, but for violation of rules 1, 4,and 6. of Micechat
                            Last edited by Brian PieGuy; 07-31-2021, 11:33 AM.
                            Brian the Pooh

Comment

When did it become acceptable to bash others viewpoints? I see it so often here on Micechat and it's super disheartening. It's really as easy as "agree to disagree" and be on your way. You don't need to "school" another person on what is right or wrong or whats is facts and what isn't. We're all entitled to our own opinions and choices whether that fits another persons agenda or not. If you don't have something nice to say....well I don't have to finish that sentence.

Facebook me!
                              Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

Heresy!! Don't question it. Be good party member and just do what you are told.
                                “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                                WDW Trips: '81
                                EPCOT Trips: '93
                                Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

You would think so, wouldn't you, since unions are supposed to be about protecting the worker. The union I belonged to certainly would because (at that time) it would have been the desire of the majority of its members. But I suppose there are locations around the country where the majority of members of a union may be inclined the other way.

I think it would hold up in court, too. Free enterprise and all that. To me, it would be a 'condition of employment' like requiring steel-toed boots, a dress code, or keeping one's license/certificate current. If you don't want to comply with a particular employer's work requirements, you don't take (or keep) a job with that employer.

But I think I'm straying into 'political territory' so as Forrest Gump said "And that's all I have to say about that".
                                  I AGREE..........I'm Retire now......did belong to a union
                                  I know when a company rules come forth, for all employee -matter who
                                  most of the time -Unions have to go a long.
                                  I seen it over and over
                                  "And that's all I have to say about that"
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
                                    When did it become acceptable to bash others viewpoints? I see it so often here on Micechat and it's super disheartening. It's really as easy as "agree to disagree" and be on your way. You don't need to "school" another person on what is right or wrong or whats is facts and what isn't. We're all entitled to our own opinions and choices whether that fits another persons agenda or not. If you don't have something nice to say....well I don't have to finish that sentence.
                                    It's tricky, because the point of message boards like this is to have discussions, and discussions do inevitably lead to some back-and-forth and differing viewpoints being thrown around. And debates can lead to some very entertaining threads when they are kept civil.

What I find very disheartening is that our administrator made such a big deal a few years ago about how Micechat was going to change and hostility and negativity directed towards members was going to end. Very little enforcement of these ideals seems to have occurred. This applies to quite a few of the members on here, including me at times, admittedly.

The forums will never be as active as they once were, I get that, but I imagine a lot of lurkers might consider posting more if there wasn't so much bashing of viewpoints.
                                    Last edited by Brian PieGuy; 08-01-2021, 11:40 AM.
                                    Brian the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

Heresy!! Don't question it. Be good party member and just do what you are told.
                                      The thing is, we just don't have enough information to make strong conclusions. The virus has not been around long in the grand scheme of things, therefore we really do not have longitudinal evidence. Add to that a rapidly evolving virus.

There is emerging evidence that vaccines boost immunity even further in individuals who had recovered from an earlier COVID infection.

Notably, the breakthrough case rate for vaccines right now looks to be about .08% of vaccinated folks. Even though emerging studies seem to also show similar rates of reinfection, researchers are cautioning that said studies were completed before the current spread of delta. The study above (last link) warns "it is unknown how well natural immunity to the wild-type virus will protect against variants."

I'm more of an err on the side of caution type, so if I had natural immunity, I would get vaccinated.

Comment

Originally posted by JLee1226 View Post

I'm more of an err on the side of caution type, so if I had natural immunity, I would get vaccinated.
                                        IAGREE....and also I still wear a mask in public.......
                                        imo
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X