Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jungle Cruise movie may flop, does that mean the ride is safe?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jungle Cruise movie may flop, does that mean the ride is safe?

So its looking like the Jungle Cruise movie may be a flop. I know many were concerned that a success of the movie would cause the ride to be altered to the movie.

I think that this, and the Haunted Mansion movie failures and even the dating of PotC show that rides which inspire movies, should not be altered to fit a movie.

Build rides that are so creative and inspiring that they inspire movie renditions, if the ride is so good that it inspires a movie, wonderful, but don't alter what made the ride so great to begin with. Don't alter its universe to fit the movie it inspired.

Hopefully if Jungle Cruise flops, it will protect the ride from such transformation.
    I can’t I remember being on the Jungle Cruise ride at Disneyland, but I know it’s popular. So why not make a movie about it? I’ll tell you why not: no one’s going. The $200 …

With or without the movie, bring back the lovely sculptures of Ganesh and the monkey idol!

Comment

Unfortunately, the ride still isn't safe from being turned into a promo for a movie franchise. The film has a "Fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes from the critics (dropping from an opening 70% to a current 63% but holding steady) and a 94% audience score.

While a $30 million domestic opening would be bad news pre-pandemic, the box office numbers are coming in ahead of projections. Worriedly for fans of the ride, the movie is on track to take the weekend's #1 position. Even more worrisome, Hollywood Reporter says it has an audience CinemaScore of A-.

Hollywood Reporter: ‘Jungle Cruise’ Climbs to $13.4M Friday, Sets Course for $30M Debut Despite Delta

Variety: 'Jungle Cruise’ Sailing to No. 1 With Estimated $32 Million Debut
      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Yeah. I heard one reviewer that it's as if they had a bunch of content left over from the POC films and shoved them into this film. When I found out it was going to have a supernatural Avatar tree, I figured it was going to suck.
        “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
        WDW Trips: '81
        EPCOT Trips: '93
        Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

I suspect it's fairly safe anyway, since they just did a massive refurb and won't be in any hurry to do another.
          Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

Unfortunately, with present management, nothing is safe.....nothing.

If they thought that getting rid of Mickey Mouse would result in increased profit, you'd never see him again.

It wouldn't surprise mr if they 'plussed' Jungle Cruise the same way the 'plussed' Pirates.

If they do, it should be done in the winter.....there's be enough of us old-timers blood boiling they wouldn't need to pay for heating anything..........

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post

Hopefully if Jungle Cruise flops, it will protect the ride from such transformation.
              I Hope your Right-my Friend-I Hope your Right !!

But the way-present management operate and love to "Advertise"
              Who really knows..........
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Seems like the changes were already made in coordination with the filmmakers:
                Dwayne Johnson, Emily Blunt and the 'Jungle Cruise' filmmakers discuss honoring, and updating, the beloved Disneyland ride for a big-screen adventure.
                "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

We can't rule it as a failure just yet. Disney+ numbers were not disclosed, which makes up the other half of the film's opening revenue.

And if it was a hit on Disney+, then Emily Blunt could pontentially sue Disney over the money made via Disney+.
                  (See the attached thread for more details!)
                  Looks like not everyone was happy with Black Widow's Hybrid Release. Scarlett Johansson has just filed a lawsuit against Disney, just after 3 weeks the film's release. According to ScarJo, her contract stipulated that the movie would receive an "exclusive theatrical run" instead of the Hybrid release. And because of

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                    We can't rule it as a failure just yet. Disney+ numbers were not disclosed, which makes up the other half of the film's opening revenue.

And if it was a hit on Disney+, then Emily Blunt could pontentially sue Disney over the money made via Disney+.
                    INTERESTING........lawsuit against Disney,...is not good press for the film !
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

The Jungle Cruise was a fun movie to watch, but the Emily Blunt and Dwayne Johnson characters are not essential or desirable for the attraction. I feel the Jungle Cruise will not suffer the same fate Pirates of the Caribbean ride did.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

(See the attached thread for more details!)
                        One can only hope that the creative community will stand against Disney's greed. Disney's nasty response to Johansson's lawsuit is typical of their "Take No Prisoners" attitude, and is rightly getting pushback.

Newsweek: Disney's Brutal Response to Scarlett Johansson Suggests Ugly Legal Fight

Disney responded with a brutal statement, labeling Johansson's lawsuit "distressing"— suggesting the studio has no intention of backing down.

"There is no merit whatsoever to this filing," Disney said in an uncharacteristically blunt statement. "The lawsuit is especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic."...

The response from Disney has shocked many people, with some criticizing the studio on social media.

"If Disney can do this to Scarlett Johansson—a Big Name—imagine what they're able to do to creators/actors with a lot less power and money," tweeted film producer Mallory Yu. "There are implications to this breach of contract beyond ScarJo herself, or even the convenience (& safety) of home streaming."

Variety: Scarlett Johansson Lawsuit: Disney’s Response Is a ‘Gendered Character Attack,’ Says Time’s Up, Women in Film, Reframe

The statement from the advocacy organizations reads, “While we take no position on the business issues in the litigation between Scarlett Johansson and The Walt Disney Company, we stand firmly against Disney’s recent statement which attempts to characterize Johansson as insensitive or selfish for defending her contractual business rights. This gendered character attack has no place in a business dispute and contributes to an environment in which women and girls are perceived as less able than men to protect their own interests without facing ad hominem criticism.

E: Scarlett Johansson's Agent Fires Back at Disney's Response to Her Black Widow Lawsuit

"They have shamelessly and falsely accused Ms. Johansson of being insensitive to the global COVID pandemic, in an attempt to make her appear to be someone they and I know she isn't," Bryan Lourd, co-chairman of top talent group Creative Artists Agency (CAA), said in a statement to E! News on Friday, July 30. "Scarlett has been Disney's partner on nine movies, which have earned Disney and its shareholders billions."

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

"They have shamelessly and falsely accused Ms. Johansson of being insensitive to the global COVID pandemic, in an attempt to make her appear to be someone they and I know she isn't," Bryan Lourd, co-chairman of top talent group Creative Artists Agency (CAA), said in a statement to E! News on Friday, July 30. "Scarlett has been Disney's partner on nine movies, which have earned Disney and its shareholders billions."
                          Off Topic Fun Fact: Bryan Lourd is the father to actress, Billie Lourd and the ex-husband to the late Carrie Fisher.

Comment

From the (very) few new 'bits and pieces' I saw at WDW in May and the pics/vid of DL's completed refurb it looks to me as if they've avoided anything 'too specifically' tied to the movie. Although not having seen the movie (yet) I don't know if any of the new JC ride scenes (or verbiage) are directly copied from scenes in the movie. If not and the movie flops, they can just leave it be and pretend the movie never happened. If so, I expect they made provision for some 'tweaks' to remove them.

From one of the ads it looked as if they may have copied elements from the Skipper Canteen at WDW into an 'indoor set'. It was so fast I couldn't be sure but the 'decor' behind Dwayne Johnson looked a bit familiar. BTW I highly recommend Skipper Canteen if you go to WDW (especially if you have allergies).
                            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Unfortunately, the ride still isn't safe from being turned into a promo for a movie franchise. The film has a "Fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes from the critics (dropping from an opening 70% to a current 63% but holding steady) and a 94% audience score.

While a $30 million domestic opening would be bad news pre-pandemic, the box office numbers are coming in ahead of projections. Worriedly for fans of the ride, the movie is on track to take the weekend's #1 position. Even more worrisome, Hollywood Reporter says it has an audience CinemaScore of A-.

Hollywood Reporter: ‘Jungle Cruise’ Climbs to $13.4M Friday, Sets Course for $30M Debut Despite Delta

Variety: 'Jungle Cruise’ Sailing to No. 1 With Estimated $32 Million Debut
                              That was yesterday.

Today's news isn't any more reassuring for those of us concerned about the future of the ride:

'Jungle Cruise' sets sail with a $90 million debut in theaters and streaming

CNN Business
                              August 1, 2021

...The film, which stars Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Emily Blunt, opened to an estimated $61.8 million at the worldwide box office. That includes a better than expected $34.2 million at domestic theaters.

But that's not all. The film was released simultaneously on streaming via Disney+'s Premier Access for an additional charge of $29.99 — and brought in over $30 million globally on the platform.

Overall, the film, which is based on the beloved Disney theme park ride, notched more than $90 million thanks to theater showings and streaming, according to the company.

So, what does all of this mean? Well, that's not as easy as it used to be to explain.

In a pre-Covid world, a $61 million global theatrical opening for a film that comes with a hefty production budget in the range of $200 million would have been nothing to write home about. But we aren't living in a pre-Covid world. Movie theaters are still trying to reach normalcy, box office numbers have been hit and miss and "Jungle Cruise" opened right in the middle of growing concerns regarding the spreading Delta variant.

Adding streaming numbers to the mix complicates things even further in terms of judging the film's success.

You could look at these totals and conclude that those watching at home on Disney+ really ate into the film's theater ticket sales. You could also laud Disney for being able to bring in $30 million more thanks to offering the film on streaming. And both of those takeaways could be correct.

All in, bringing in more than what some expected at the box office is a good thing right now — and adding over $30 million on streaming is a welcome boost. Now, Disney and theaters will wait to see how the film does in the weeks to come....

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                              - Bob Chapek

Comment

... One can only hope that the creative community will stand against Disney's greed. Disney's nasty response to Johansson's lawsuit is typical of their "Take No Prisoners" attitude, and is rightly getting pushback.
                                To that point, and in light of the $30 million that Jungle Cruise brought in on Disney+ this weekend:

Emma Stone is reportedly 'weighing her options' after Scarlett Johansson's Disney lawsuit

The Week
                                July 30, 2021

Is Scarlett Johansson's major lawsuit against Disney just the beginning?

Johansson filed a lawsuit against Disney on Thursday for releasing the Marvel film Black Widow on streaming and in theaters at the same time, arguing this breached her contract and cost her millions of dollars since her salary was largely based on the film's box office performance.

It seems she's hardly alone in her frustration over compensation for movies that debut on streaming, as Variety reports the lawsuit "appears to be emboldening other stars," and "several Disney actors are considering their own legal challenges."

Disney has released a number of movies both in theaters and on Disney+ for $30 during the COVID-19 pandemic, including Cruella starring Emma Stone and this weekend's Jungle Cruise starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Emily Blunt.

In his newsletter What I'm Hearing, former Hollywood Reporter editor Matthew Belloni reports that Stone is "said to be weighing her options," while Blunt is "likely watching the Jungle Cruise numbers closely this weekend."

Blunt, Belloni reports, had already raised objections over Paramount releasing her film A Quiet Place Part II on streaming about 45 days after its theatrical debut, sooner than the pre-pandemic norm of around 90 days.

"The floodgates might be opening," Belloni writes....

"A lot of other actors are cheering for Scarlett and rooting her on," a Hollywood talent agent told Variety. "She has a lot of power and that makes this a visible conversation that puts Disney on the spot. By doing all of this in public, she might be able to change the rulebook."

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                - Bob Chapek

Comment

Does anyone remember the Country Bears movie? I'm not sure why so many things need to be tied to an IP. Half of the beauty of Disneyland is those original attractions that are their own beautiful thing. Really hoping a Matterhorn movie isn't in the works.

Facebook me!
                                  Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

Originally posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
                                    Does anyone remember the Country Bears movie? I'm not sure why so many things need to be tied to an IP. Half of the beauty of Disneyland is those original attractions that are their own beautiful thing. Really hoping a Matterhorn movie isn't in the works.
                                    Already been done.

"Third Man on the Mountain is a 1959 American family adventure film by Walt Disney Productions, directed by Ken Annakin and starring Michael Rennie, James MacArthur and Janet Munro. Set during the golden age of alpinism, its plot concerns a young Swiss man who conquers the mountain that killed his father. It is based on Banner in the Sky, a James Ramsey Ullman 1955 novel about the first ascent of the Citadel, and was televised under this name. The film inspired the Matterhorn Bobsleds attraction at Disneyland Park.[3] *

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Man_on_the_Mountain

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

The reason so many things need to be tied to an IP is because Michael Eisner said two decades ago that "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."

And Bob Chapek (currently CEO, formerly head of Disney Parks, and before that Disney Consumer Products) agrees:

"As you know, we have unbelievable franchises that we can choose to employ to build our guest experiences.... We have eleven one-billion-dollar-or-more consumer products franchises in terms of retail sales. Eleven of ‘em. And that’s that portfolio that we can draw upon....

At Disney, it’s not about an individual operating unit, it’s about the brand – first of all the brand, the Disney brand, and then all those great franchises that fit underneath it....

A lot of times people say “well why does everything have to be franchise-oriented?” Because that’s our barrier to entry. Because if any of our competitors had our intellectual property, guess what they would be doing? The exact same thing we’re doing. But they don’t have it and we do."

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Disney already did movie about the "MATTERHOOD"
                                        Third Man on the Mountain in 1959
                                        That were the Ideal of a Matterhood , at Disneyland came from ............

As of Country Bear Movie- I feel it one the worst ever came out......
                                        I wanted my Money back ! ! ! ! !
                                        IMO
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X