Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One last ride on Splash Mountain

Since Splash Mountain is going to be closing soon, I am going to be visiting the parks on August 11-13. For those who have recently been to the parks. Is there any advice you can give on the overall run down of how things have been lately? What do the crowds look like? What is the overall atmosphere and feel been?

From what I've heard and experienced first-hand, the parks have been a bit crowded, so mentally prepare for that. The day I went Splash Mountain had a posted wait time of 75 minutes, but the line moved pretty quick. Also, everything is broken on Splash (except the owl at the end!!! They fixed him after two years! MY HEART BURST!)

Assume that most food will probably need to be accessed through mobile order (which is a fine experience, it's just a bit tough to plan sometimes... like realizing your dole whip order is ready when you are in Galaxy's Edge. Prepare to walk!) If you approach a counter that is only offering mobile order, you will be turned away. Standby lines for food are kinda long as well.

Atmosphere depends on who you ask. For me, the atmosphere was off on my trip given how CM's seemed really burnt out. Guests were also a little more vocal with their complaints (usually they would air their grievances in lines, which is where I would eavesdrop because my brother is a man of few words). I don't think this completely ruins a day at Disney depending on how you approach it / what to expect.

I hope you have a very pleasant trip. Stay hydrated, stay safe, and have fun!
    Last edited by Captain Andy; 07-31-2021, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I'm planning on being at Disneyland around the 18th and 19th of August. Even though the Haunted Mansion will be down for the rest of year, I will make the most out of riding Splash Mountain as it is for the last time.

Comment

Originally posted by DaHatTrick View Post
        Since Splash Mountain is going to be closing soon, I am going to be visiting the parks on August 11-13. For those who have recently been to the parks. Is there any advice you can give on the overall run down of how things have been lately? What do the crowds look like? What is the overall atmosphere and feel been?
        Has there been a recent announcement that it's closing? I know it's supposedly due to be rethemed but I hadn't heard it had been actually scheduled (even tentatively).
        "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

With any luck they'll finally realize with it's far more cost-effective to refurb the popular ride as is and cancel the retheming alogether. That will be a Zip-a--Dee-Doo-Dah day!

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post

Has there been a recent announcement that it's closing? I know it's supposedly due to be rethemed but I hadn't heard it had been actually scheduled (even tentatively).
            No announcements yet, but it doesn't seem to be imminent. The most conservative estimates I've seen say late 2021, but most predict 2022, with one liberal estimate saying late 2022/ early 2023 is most likely.

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
            With any luck they'll finally realize with it's far more cost-effective to refurb the popular ride as is and cancel the retheming alogether. That will be a Zip-a--Dee-Doo-Dah day!
            It would be a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Day for sure! Hopefully I'll be able to go on closing day, whenever that is. That will be a bittersweet day for sure.
            Brian the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Brian PieGuy View Post

It would be a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Day for sure! Hopefully I'll be able to go on closing day, whenever that is. That will be a bittersweet day for sure.
              I always ENJOY that music...............""Zip-a-Dee-Doo"""

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

This person makes a persuasive argument that a closure won't happen at all: https://youtu.be/TireqqmiPpg?t=440

Comment

I only went this attraction maybe no more that 7 times! Sad to see it go. Even if I didn't go on it as much as some people did, just knowing it was there and seeing it was like, ahh yeah we're at Disneyland. And just a quick FYI, if you have any merch from or of that ride- HOLD ON TO IT. The value of it is about to sky rocket!

Comment

I for one am indifferent about the change over. I really do enjoy the ride but seldom ride it because frankly I just get too wet to be comfortable for the rest of the day. They really need to fix the logs as the amount of wash over the front and sides is too much. The Log Ride at Knott's it just as wild and wet but you stay mostly dry as they have a better designed notch and shapes into the log to keep water splashing but none pouring into your lap or shoes. Because of this we mostly just skip it. If they could fix the logs we would ride on every visit, crossing my fingers they address this during the update.
                    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

The only reason I ever went on it was because it brought the wonderful Song of the South settings and characters and music to life -- not because it was a log flume ride.

Comment

Update on WDW version:

https://insidethemagic.net/2021/08/s...me-update-ad1/

Comment

During my many voyages around Chickapin Hill, I built up quite a collection of those Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah ziploc bags they hand out. They will make for fond souvenirs now .
                          Brian the Pooh

Comment

I think its going down by the end of the Holidays. Some scaffolding recently appeared on WDW's version of the ride. Also, Splash Mountain's sponsor (Ziploc) is now sponsoring the Jungle Cruise. I think the ride will get a proper send-off, but similar to DCA's ToT, where work has already began before the ride actually shuts down.

Depending on how extensive the work will be, I don't see the PatF version opening until Fall/Late 2022 or 2023. If they announce a mid-Summer 2022 opening, then I will be very concerned on the final product...

Comment

It'll happen when it happens. I think it'll be easy enough at DL to get the outside to 'meld' with NOS and CC as they're both 'vegetated' areas with tall trees nearby. Obvs bringing the LA bayou near the HM 'fits' the theming perfectly although the 'boat in a tree' will be a bit jarring.

CC has always been a bit 'mix n match' with WtP, Brer Rabbit/Bear, and the (leftover) bits of Country Bear still around, but the over all 'theme' has been 'mountain forest' vs 'bayou forest', which is pretty much trees growing in a swamp. Personally, I think they need to rename HB and do a light bit of retheming to make it more bayou-ish. It'd be nice if they could make it look less log-cabiny and more bayou-shacky. Add a cajun chicken salad and a po' boy or muffuletta to the menu. Ok, let's go whole hog. Move Winnie elsewhere (Toon Town? FL?) and have a 'happy kiddie' dark ride, 'Ray's Mardi Gras Madness' or something.

WDW's Splash isn't as vegetated. If they retheme the outside to the bayou, especially the boat in the tree, it's going to look jarring no matter what they do.
                              "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

On a recent podcast WDW Magic Kingdom's Vice President Melissa Valiquette said the process "many, many months or even years before the changes are seen on stage."

I'm pretty optimistic on what could be done with Princess and the Frog, but I'm in no hurry to get rid of classic Splash Mountain.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/disney-wo...150811379.html

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                                  I for one am indifferent about the change over. I really do enjoy the ride but seldom ride it because frankly I just get too wet to be comfortable for the rest of the day. They really need to fix the logs as the amount of wash over the front and sides is too much. The Log Ride at Knott's it just as wild and wet but you stay mostly dry as they have a better designed notch and shapes into the log to keep water splashing but none pouring into your lap or shoes. Because of this we mostly just skip it. If they could fix the logs we would ride on every visit, crossing my fingers they address this during the update.
                                  As a dark ride Splash Mountain is fantastic, but I also don't enjoy getting wet so I don't go on it on most visits.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                                    Depending on how extensive the work will be, I don't see the PatF version opening until Fall/Late 2022 or 2023. If they announce a mid-Summer 2022 opening, then I will be very concerned on the final product...
                                    I see them taking their time on this one at least in DL as they already M&MRR opening next 2022 and they will not want to cannibalize that opening. I see the PatF opening in Summer 2023 if not 2024.

Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post

I see them taking their time on this one at least in DL as they already M&MRR opening next 2022 and they will not want to cannibalize that opening. I see the PatF opening in Summer 2023 if not 2024.
                                      M&MRR is not opening until 2023 due to Covid delays from last year. That leaves 2022 empty with no new attraction. Could Disney have something up there sleeve for next year? Possibly.

Comment

I believe this particular closure happens every year since during the winter season, Splash Mountain costs way more to run than it accumulates guest riders, so it's more cost effective to keep it closed from November to February.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X