Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the Best Disneyland Decade?

In my opinion, I would say 1959-1969 was the best and most expensive decade in Disneyland’s history. The exponential growth it endured during this time was staggering. Each land received many updates, attractions and new rides.

Disneyland Summer 1959-1969

Adventureland:
    1962: Jungle Cruise New Scenes
    1962: Safari Shooting Gallery
    1962: Tahitian Terrace
    1962: Swiss Family Treehouse
    1963: Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room
    1964: Jungle Cruise New Scenes

Main Street USA:
    1959: Disneyland RR adds Ernest S Marsh train
    1960: Electric Cars
    1960: Mickey at the Movies Parade
    1960: Toys on Parade
    1961: Tinker Belle added to Fantasy in the Sky
    1961: Babes in Toyland Exhibit
    1963: Mickey Mouse Club Headquarters
    1965: Disneyland Tencennial Parade
    1965: Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
    1965: Fantasy on Parade

New Orleans Square:
    1966: New Orleans Square opens
    1967: Pirates of the Caribbean
    1967: Pirates Arcade Museum
    1969: The Haunted Mansion

Frontierland
    1960: Mine Train thru Natures’s Wonderland
    1960: Pack Mules thru Nature’s Wonderland
    1960: Dixieland
    1962: Frontierland RR Station renovation
    1962: Indian Village Expansion
    1964: Columbia Below-Decks Museum

Fantasland
    1959: Snow White’s Adventures update
    1959: Peter Pan update
    1959: Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride update
    1959: Alice in Wonderland update
    1959: Motor Boat Cruise update
    1959: Skyway thru Glacier Grotto
    1959: Fantasyland Autopia Expansion
    1960: Peter Pan second update
    1960: Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride second update
    1960: Snow White’s Adventures second update
    1960: Skull Rock
    1961: Snow White Grotto
    1965: Skyway New Buckets
    1966: it’s a Small World

Tomorrowland
    1959: Submarine Voyage
    1959: Matterhorn Bobsleds
    1959: Disneyland-Alweg Monorail
    1959: Autopia Mark V models added
    1960: America the Beautiful
    1960: Art of Animation
    1961: Monorail track extends to Hotel
    1961: Flying Saucers
    1962: Submarine Voyage update
    1963: New York World’s Fair Exhibit
    1964: Autopia Mark VI models added
    1965: Fashions and Fabrics throughout the Ages
    1965: Autopia adds center guard rail
    1965: Submarine Voyage Live Mermaid Lagoon
    1966: Tomorrowland RR Station adds Primeval World
    1967: New Tomorrowland
    1967: Carousel of Progress
    1967: Adventure thru Inner Space
    1967: Flight to the Moon update
    1967: PeopleMover
    1967: Rocket Jets
    1967: Mary Blair Murals
    1967: Tomorrowland Stage
    1967: Coca-Cola Tomorrowland Terrace Stage
    1967: Circle-Vision 360 update
    1968: Alpine Gardens
    1968: Autopia Sting-ray Vehicles added
    1968: Disneyland Monorail Mark III models added

When would you say was the best Disneyland Decade?

It's hard to say which decade was the best. The 1950's gave us Submarine Voyage. The 1960's gave us The Haunted Mansion. The 1970's gave us Space Mountain. In the 1980's, we got Splash Mountain. The 1990's gave us Indiana Jones. The 2000's delivered us Haunted Mansion Holiday. In the 2010's, we were given a brief return of Captain EO.

Comment

Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post
      It's hard to say which decade was the best. The 1950's gave us Submarine Voyage. The 1960's gave us The Haunted Mansion. The 1970's gave us Space Mountain. In the 1980's, we got Splash Mountain. The 1990's gave us Indiana Jones. The 2000's delivered us Haunted Mansion Holiday. In the 2010's, we were given a brief return of Captain EO.
      You know what else the 1950s gave us? Disneyland!

Comment

Originally posted by Ttgal4 View Post

Have to say - That was a Great start..........................."WALT DREAM" come true
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

1950s
          1960s
          1970s
          1980s

-- that's it. Should have stopped in 1984 at the latest. Then the losses begin to mount over the gains. Coincidence that year coincides with WDP becoming TWDC?

Comment

I'd have to agree with the OP's call of 1959-69 as the most expansive ten years in Disneyland's history.

Those of us baby boomers who grew from kid to teenager to adult in those ten years grew up with a Disneyland that was constantly expanding and improving -- not only with more rides, but with more and better entertainment, restaurants and land-specific shops. It was the era that saw royalty and world leaders visit Disneyland. The era when working at Disneyland was the top job that college students wanted. The era that saw many American corporations copy Disneyland's employee training program.

It was the era that defined the "Disneyland experience."

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-04-2021, 12:29 AM.
            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

Honestly, the 90s, this was when Disneyland went through a lot of changes from the additions of Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, Toon Town, Fantasmic, to the complete re-imagining of Tomorrowland. It was also a time where it implemented a lot of unique shows and was also the point where it was sort of the bridge between the past and the future. The reason I don't see the first decade as "the best" is that this was the era that Disneyland was trying to figure itself out, where Fantasyland for example looked like a carnival instead of the amazing European style village we got, it was missing rides like the Haunted Mansion, Small World, Tiki Room, Matterhorn, and Pirates of the Caribbean. The animatronics for a lot of the rides were a lot less impressive, and it didn't even have the greatest land, New Orleans Square, which opened up 11 years after the opening of the park. Then there was the issue with how in order to ride rides, you needed a ticket book and you were limited, where they didn't move away from that until the 80s.

Comment

59-69 were pretty great years. But I think I'd shift it a bit to maybe 64-74. Not just for the available attractions, but also because the prices were low, you could get admission only (for the bands & dancing at Tomorrowland Terrace & Carnation Gardens). And to cap it off, what we considered 'crazy crowded' back then would be considered a 'moderate' day these days. I remember being outraged I tell you, OUTRAGED!!, at a 45 minute wait for Matterhorn.
                "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

For me the 70's. That was the last decade that the additions out paced the losses. I would have said the 80's if we stopped at 84 but the late 80's saw the era of Eisner and the era of IP exploitation over creativity.
                  Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Ttgal4 View Post

And the Matterhorn minus Harold 1.0.

Comment

Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post

And the Matterhorn minus Harold 1.0.
                      Yeah, that’s a toss up.

Comment

Gotta be the 90's for me...

Indiana Jones
                        Splash Mountain (late 1989, I'll say it counts haha)
                        ToonTown - Say what you want about it, I was a kid in the 90's and loved it - the theming is second to none. Riding the Jolly Trolley was fun too.
                        Lion King Celebration Parade - Still have some of my greatest memories in Disneyland sitting curbside watching this awesome parade
                        Fantasmic - Started in the 90's
                        Aladdin - Movie came out in the 90's, loved looking at Jasmine characters from afar (too shy for pics at the time lol). Aladdin's Oasis was pretty cool too.
                        Aladdin Royal Caravan Parade
                        ​​​​​​Billy Hill and the Hillbillies
                        PeopleMover - Last decade of it in operation
                        Honey, I Shrunk the Audience - Loved those movies growing up
                        Original Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks Show - Ended in the 90's

So many good memories, totally nostalgia'd listing these out!

Comment

Def not this decade...

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedog View Post

Indiana Jones
                            ToonTown - Say what you want about it, I was a kid in the 90's and loved it - the theming is second to none. Riding the Jolly Trolley was fun too.
                            Lion King Celebration Parade - Still have some of my greatest memories in Disneyland sitting curbside watching this awesome parade
                            Aladdin - Movie came out in the 90's, loved looking at Jasmine characters from afar (too shy for pics at the time lol). Aladdin's Oasis was pretty cool too.

Agreed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedog View Post

Indiana Jones

This is the decade that inspired me to do what I'm doing today!

90s all the way. There might have been some low points, but I have so many fond memories of all the live entertainment and just a really great energy in the parks.

Comment

The 1970s were the peak.

Comment

I would have to say that the "Best Decade" would be the one where people first found the "Magic" as a child. That means for some, 2019 will be the "Best Decade" at some point. For me, 1960-1969 and sliding into the early '70s I found most enjoyable after the growing years.
                                  “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                                  WDW Trips: '81
                                  EPCOT Trips: '93
                                  Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Another great thing that came from the 1970's was America Sings. America Sings was the last audio animatronics show made for Disneyland. It's sad attractions like America Sings are not made anymore.

Comment

I think between 1959 - 1969 and 1989 - 1999. If Disneyland had gone really big with its initial Disney Decade plans (like adding Tomorrowland 2055, and Westcot expansion) before its EuroDisney financial troubles, the. 1989 - 1999 would have been the hands down best Disneyland Decade.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X