Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm done with Disneyland. Are you?

I've often wondered how far Disney would have to go before I reached my breaking point and yesterday I found out. For a long time now I haven't liked the regularly repeated price increases. I found them justifying those increases by telling me they were for my own good to be truly insulting. I hate that they are making so many changes that have such a negative impact on the quality of my experience with the only motivation being wanting to increase the bottom line. I understand they have needed to adjust the product they are able to offer but I think using Covid as an excuse to put the screws to my wallet, once again, by emplimenting changes they"ve been trying to figure out a way to get away with for many years is nothing short of an absolute obscenity. I now have to make a reservation to go to the park. I have to make a reservation to ride a ride. I also have to make a reservation to get food. As for this Key BS for the life of me I can't understand how anyone can be happy with it. Have you really lowered the expectations you have for your Disneyland experience to the point where "I'm so happy, they're not trying to screw me nearly as badly as I expected" is your standard for quality? But yesterday was in fact the final straw. Two years ago my pass let me go 365 days in a year. Now they want me to pay $100 more a year for A CHANCE to go even one day. I am guaranteed zero days in the park for my money. ZERO DAYS! I moved 500 miles to be closer to Anaheim and up until they a large part of the park to install that, what in my humble opinion is a, theme park abortion star wars land there was no place on earth I world rather be. What a difference a few short years can make. If someone can still enjoy Disneyland I'm happy for them. Sadly I'm no longer one of those people.

My sentiments exactly Norcalxx!!! I agree 110% with everything you have experienced and how Disney is really socking it to the suckers who want to except this bull crap for more money!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Norcalxx View Post
      I've often wondered how far Disney would have to go before I reached my breaking point and yesterday I found out. For a long time now I haven't liked the regularly repeated price increases. I found them justifying those increases by telling me they were for my own good to be truly insulting. I hate that they are making so many changes that have such a negative impact on the quality of my experience with the only motivation being wanting to increase the bottom line. I understand they have needed to adjust the product they are able to offer but I think using Covid as an excuse to put the screws to my wallet, once again, by emplimenting changes they"ve been trying to figure out a way to get away with for many years is nothing short of an absolute obscenity. I now have to make a reservation to go to the park. I have to make a reservation to ride a ride. I also have to make a reservation to get food. As for this Key BS for the life of me I can't understand how anyone can be happy with it. Have you really lowered the expectations you have for your Disneyland experience to the point where "I'm so happy, they're not trying to screw me nearly as badly as I expected" is your standard for quality? But yesterday was in fact the final straw. Two years ago my pass let me go 365 days in a year. Now they want me to pay $100 more a year for A CHANCE to go even one day. I am guaranteed zero days in the park for my money. ZERO DAYS! I moved 500 miles to be closer to Anaheim and up until they a large part of the park to install that, what in my humble opinion is a, theme park abortion star wars land there was no place on earth I world rather be. What a difference a few short years can make. If someone can still enjoy Disneyland I'm happy for them. Sadly I'm no longer one of those people.
      Sorry to hear that. APs have increased in price annually for a while now. I would hold judgement until you see how difficult it is to get a reservation. If it's anything like the Flex pass, you'll have no problem getting reservations.

Yeah, I'm upset about how SWGE turned out, too. I miss the Ranch behind Big Thunder. I miss petting the sheep/goats and hanging out back in that little Ranch oasis that most people passed by (I'm getting upset just thinking about it being gone). Oh well. I still keep coming back b/c they still have DLRR, HM, PoTC, Indy, Space Mtn, Matterhorn, Mainstreet Vehicles, the musical overlay that seamlessly blends between lands, and so forth.

Comment

Me wondering what in the world has been happening that's got some people so wound up over MC

Comment

Originally posted by lemuth0922 View Post
          Me wondering what in the world has been happening that's got some people so wound up over MC
          This kind of frustration pops up from time to time on this board, no doubt due to the strong opinions and tribal mentality that is often present. Ironically, the ones who complain about criticism and negativity are often the ones spewing the most criticism and negativity into the threads.

(This post and the one above it were made in response to a since deleted post).
          Last edited by Brian PieGuy; 08-04-2021, 09:01 PM.
          Brian the Pooh

Comment

Still not as bad as the bird app!

Comment

Dusty and I have talked about this at length, and he has made this very clear. He does not want me censoring opinions. He just won't allow politics, personal attacks, or bashing MiceChat. You can do it once, but that's all you get, and your temper tantrum won't stay online for very long.

If you can't handle other people's opinions you should not be on the internet - period.

I have tried deleting posts. I have tried moving threads to the debate lounge. I have tried virtually everything, but nothing satisfies everyone, and it never will.

I will say this one more time. If you can't handle reading other people's opinions then you should not be on the internet. I am tired of trying to be a censor, and the forum owner doesn't want it. Stop blaming MiceChat for the negativity in the world, and stop having unrealistic expectations that we can delete everything you don't agree with.

To be clear, we do need to do a better job stopping personal attacks. Consider this a warning: our tolerance for personal attacks is non-existent right now, so think before you post, please.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
                Dusty and I have talked about this at length, and he has made this very clear. He does not want me censoring opinions. He just won't allow politics, personal attacks, or bashing MiceChat. You can do it once, but that's all you get, and your temper tantrum won't stay online for very long.

If you can't handle other people's opinions you should not be on the internet - period.

I have tried deleting posts. I have tried moving threads to the debate lounge. I have tried virtually everything, but nothing satisfies everyone, and it never will.

I will say this one more time. If you can't handle reading other people's opinions then you should not be on the internet. I am tired of trying to be a censor, and the forum owner doesn't want it. Stop blaming MiceChat for the negativity in the world, and stop having unrealistic expectations that we can delete everything you don't agree with.

To be clear, we do need to do a better job stopping personal attacks. Consider this a warning: our tolerance for personal attacks is non-existent right now, so think before you post, please.

Thank you.
                I also may resemble that remark. Kudos for stepping in. I always try to keep it civil
                Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!! ~~|~~ Katherine's 11th Birthday Dapper Day trip with Club 33 ~~|~~ Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~~|~~ My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report ~~|~~ Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report ~~|~~ World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party ~~|~~ My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club ~~|~~ My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2011 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

I think I’m more on a ‘Disney, let’s see other people, maybe will catch up when your over your Chapek’ phase.

For some like myself going waaaay back to the Disneyland Light Magic days, I’ve come to realize my interest in all things Disney comes in waves.

For all the ‘Bob C. will crash and burn Disney’ threads and comments (and I am no Bob fan; I really wish he would pull a Pressler and run a Target/Amazon retailer), much of the same was said during the last years of Eisner before Iger helped right the ship.

The talk of Avengers Campus being cheap and rather off-the-shelf; the same comments were being discussed when DL got Pooh, and DCA before ToT (even that was cited by many as the in-the-cheap version) got Bugs Land and a county fair-level extreme stunt show. But once Iger came in, the brand debit (for the most part) spending happened again and we got things like Buena Vista Street and Carsland.

I’ve really learned two things over my years following Disney:

1.) When Disney is down (more often than not due to the intentions of the CEO at the helm), if feels as fun as being in the middle of an economic recession, but chances are as leaders change it will get better

2.) Your Disney preferences may be the polar opposite of my Disney preferences, just like almost anything in life, but at the end of the day, if we’re here on Micechat then it likely means we still mutually have some interest in Disney and for that I can respect everyone, even those I disagree with.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaygatzby View Post

1.) When Disney is down (more often than not due to the intentions of the CEO at the helm), if feels as fun as being in the middle of an economic recession, but chances are as leaders change it will get better
                    The only problem is that in the past, there were people in the ranks that were around during Disneyland's infancy and Walt's time. They had the "history" to right the ship.

Unfortunately today, those people do not exist in the corporate ranks. And because of Eisner, Pressler, Iger, and Chapek, they managed to purge the old guard and replaced them with Wall Street "yes men" and pencil pushers. Each generation at Disney gets more and more diluted that most people at Disney would rather have nothing to do with "Walt's" Disneyland. These people have no loyalty to the brand. They would be just as happy as working for 3M marketing tape as they are working for Disney.
                    “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                    WDW Trips: '81
                    EPCOT Trips: '93
                    Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

The only problem is that in the past, there were people in the ranks that were around during Disneyland's infancy and Walt's time. They had the "history" to right the ship.

Unfortunately today, those people do not exist in the corporate ranks. And because of Eisner, Pressler, Iger, and Chapek, they managed to purge the old guard and replaced them with Wall Street "yes men" and pencil pushers. Each generation at Disney gets more and more diluted that most people at Disney would rather have nothing to do with "Walt's" Disneyland. These people have no loyalty to the brand. They would be just as happy as working for 3M marketing tape as they are working for Disney.
                      The way it looks today, it is hard to disagree and I’ll admit, it does look rather bleak (I sometimes wonder when I am going to hear in the news that Chapek announces they are going to sell Disney to either Apple or Amazon and he’ll get a nice platinum parachute).

But I have hope.

Many of those sadly from Walt’s time may have passed on, but there may yet be some who were working at Disneyland as cast members in the early 90’s, or got to work with Tony Baxter on Euro Disneyland, or Tokyo DisneySea, or when DCA when big between 2010 - 2012.

To me, until Disney is sold (please not to Target, Chapek) there is a small part of me that believes it still has a chance to get better.

Comment

The way it looks today, it is hard to disagree and I’ll admit, it does look rather bleak (I sometimes wonder when I am going to hear in the news that Chapek announces they are going to sell Disney to either Apple or Amazon and he’ll get a nice platinum parachute).

But I have hope.

Many of those sadly from Walt’s time may have passed on, but there may yet be some who were working at Disneyland as cast members in the early 90’s, or got to work with Tony Baxter on Euro Disneyland, or Tokyo DisneySea, or when DCA when big between 2010 - 2012.

To me, until Disney is sold (please not to Target, Chapek) there is a small part of me that believes it still has a chance to get better.
                        Hope springs eternal.
                        “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                        WDW Trips: '81
                        EPCOT Trips: '93
                        Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

We're taking a break.

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

Baxter and Rhode would have disagreed with you. That being said, until you run a P&L, you won't understand what it takes. I'll gladly give up here/there for innovation, but at the end of the day, I'm personally accountable for X Y, or Z. that holds true with Disney.
                            Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!! ~~|~~ Katherine's 11th Birthday Dapper Day trip with Club 33 ~~|~~ Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~~|~~ My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report ~~|~~ Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report ~~|~~ World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party ~~|~~ My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club ~~|~~ My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2011 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

I have been the edge of this for a while now. I was about 70/30 in basically waiting for chapek to be gone before I returned but one thing kept me with one foot in the door way and that is my kids and my wife. My Wife loves DLR and she weekly brings it up and wonders when we can go back. She also mentioned that our kids are about to become teenagers and we might only have a couple more years before they find going anywhere with their parents a negative. So her argument is if we can accept that we are not getting as much as we did before at least we can have a couple more years at the parks with our kids. Who knows our girls may never get to a point where They don't want to join us for an outing but it's a hard gamble to take. We drew a line in the sand and the line was a certain level of Pass for a certain cost. Shockingly the MK scenario that works for us was cheaper and provided enough benefit to be within our threshold (not by much though.)

The reservations are something that I have faith will not be a major problem. We had FLEX for a year and never once had an issue nor did other friends of ours who also had Flex passes. Now if they do become problematic like some have said it would be ripe for a class action or mass tort suit.

Before my Dad past away some years back when he knew he might not be around much longer he told me that "Time with those you love is the most valuable part of life. No amount of wealth or things can replace the joy you will feel having a quality time with your loved one's." I know that we do not need Disneyland to spend time together but it has become a place where we can all enjoy a day together and everyone can get something they want out of it. I hate that Disney Corp. has become such a shareholder led dumpster fire of a corporate implosion but I am not going for the benefit of the execs. I am going because of the part of the parks that was there before the eisners, pressers, Iger's and chapeks. Much of what I like they had nothing to do with, much of what I hate is totally on them. One day chapek will be gone as well and it may be sooner than later. One of my fiends bothers is an analyst for Sony Pictures and he was told the buzz is pretty palpable in Hollywood that Iger is about to stage a comeback. Who knows, Iger isn't the greatest but he is better than chapek.

I would never fault anyone for giving Disney the big Mickey glove finger and moving the entire park into their own personal yesterland. I admit I am close to doing so myself but the MK scenario happened to work out for what we want and we know that once the annual adjustments happen after the first year runs out we might be done. I applaud those willing to stand their ground and say "no more". We are just not there yet.
                              Last edited by Starcade; 08-05-2021, 07:49 AM.
                              Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                                ...One day chapek will be gone as well and it may be sooner than later. One of my fiends bothers is an analyst for Sony Pictures and he was told the buzz is pretty palpable in Hollywood that Iger is about to stage a comeback. Who knows, Iger isn't the greatest but he is better than chapek...
                                And the buzz in town is getting louder all the time.

The question is will Bob2 last until D23 (assuming it isn't canceled). The Street loves his profiteering. But the Company needs a face. A frontman in the band. An entertainment-savvy CEO who echoes, however faintly, the public-facing role that Walt originated.

Eisner did it (for a while, before he self-destructed).

Iger did it more smoothly.

But in that role Chapek has been an embarrassment, as shown by his last D23 appearance and his Star Wars Land video.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                - Bob Chapek

Comment

I think I’m more on a ‘Disney, let’s see other people, maybe will catch up when your over your Chapek’ phase.

For some like myself going waaaay back to the Disneyland Light Magic days, I’ve come to realize my interest in all things Disney comes in waves.

For all the ‘Bob C. will crash and burn Disney’ threads and comments (and I am no Bob fan; I really wish he would pull a Pressler and run a Target/Amazon retailer), much of the same was said during the last years of Eisner before Iger helped right the ship.

The talk of Avengers Campus being cheap and rather off-the-shelf; the same comments were being discussed when DL got Pooh, and DCA before ToT (even that was cited by many as the in-the-cheap version) got Bugs Land and a county fair-level extreme stunt show. But once Iger came in, the brand debit (for the most part) spending happened again and we got things like Buena Vista Street and Carsland.

2.) Your Disney preferences may be the polar opposite of my Disney preferences, just like almost anything in life, but at the end of the day, if we’re here on Micechat then it likely means we still mutually have some interest in Disney and for that I can respect everyone, even those I disagree with.

This helps. Thank you very much.

Comment

I suspect Scarlett Johansson is done with Disney, just like Shonda Rhimes. Look at how cheaply Disney treats it's top revenue producing talent and then consider that you bring in 1 billion times less than them. How do you think you'll be treated?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X