Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember when going to Disneyland seemed so simple...

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember when going to Disneyland seemed so simple...

The recent threads and discussions about the new Magic Key Program, Mobile Food Ordering, MaxPass, Paying for FastPass, Park Hopping after 1pm, Attraction Reservations at 7am (and being fully booked in a matter of seconds), etc.. has really done a number on me. It is a shame, it really is a shame that this is what has become of trying to visit the DLR as of late. I am getting bummed out when I think about how carefree it was to go not all that long ago. Now there is nearly zero spontaneity left and that is what was so darn fun about it. You want to do this, ok cool, lets go do this. But now; you want to do this, oh wait, do we have a reservation? Oh wait, did we add that perk (paid) on to such and such Pass.

This whole thing just really bums me out.

*edit* (8/18/21)
    And now add Genie+ to the mix!
    Last edited by BigThunda; 08-19-2021, 10:03 AM.
    Big Thunder Ranch > Galaxys Edge

I mean not simple. If you wanted to maximize your visit you always had to pay, know the ropes, or both. The current debacle of reservations, limited times for hopping, no ability to maximize anything means I won't be back anytime soon. I'm committed to October of next year, but as of right now, Disney is losing 20k+ I used to spend yearly to attend due to their tomfoolery.
    Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!! ~~|~~ Katherine's 11th Birthday Dapper Day trip with Club 33 ~~|~~ Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~~|~~ My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report ~~|~~ Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report ~~|~~ World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party ~~|~~ My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club ~~|~~ My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2011 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

Originally posted by whoever View Post
      I mean not simple. If you wanted to maximize your visit you always had to pay, know the ropes, or both. The current debacle of reservations, limited times for hopping, no ability to maximize anything means I won't be back anytime soon. I'm committed to October of next year, but as of right now, Disney is losing 20k+ I used to spend yearly to attend due to their tomfoolery.
      I am totally with you on this one. My family, while Sig+ would also get lots of extras throughout the year, special parties, etc.

However, with the current arrangement, we have lost interest in going for the time being. It is just not worth it, our time or money. That makes us sad as we have so many incredible memories in the park. A Disneyland that only lives in our hearts now.

For us, it's a matter of value and worth, as Eagleman has often said. He has reminded us all that there is also more to life than Disney.

For now, that pause is in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post

For us, it's a matter of value and worth, as Eagleman has often said. He has reminded us all that there is also more to life than Disney.

For now, that pause is in place.
        My Friend
        I sure like Disneyland ,when it was simple to Enjoy !
        Going a Theme Park suppose be Fun and Relaxing.........
        But it is matter of value and worth
        There a Big pause for Disney.

I rather go to your neck of the woods ,NEWPORT BEACH and being around the Bay,
        There so much to do and see and to Enjoy !​​​​​​​!
        IMO

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Brand loyalty is based on having a positive perception of the brand. That perception is made up of the brand's emotional associations.

For years, Disney has been adding "unpleasant crowds" and "higher prices" to the associations that make up the DLR brand.

Now the Chapek regime is bending over backwards to add "complicated," "frustrating" and "no spontaneity."

Knotts' should hire skywriting airplanes to fly over TDA and write "THANK YOU BOB FOR ADDING 'SIMPLE, CAREFREE AND FUN' TO OUR BRAND."

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
          - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
          - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
            Brand loyalty is based on having a positive perception of the brand. That perception is made up of the brand's emotional associations.

For years, Disney has been adding "unpleasant crowds" and "higher prices" to the associations that make up the DLR brand.

Now the Chapek regime is bending over backwards to add "complicated," "frustrating" and "no spontaneity."

Knotts' should hire skywriting airplanes to fly over TDA and write "THANK YOU BOB FOR ADDING 'SIMPLE, CAREFREE AND FUN' TO OUR BRAND."
            Entertainment and Food is Good at Knott's....................
            and There Cast Member are Friendly as well !

Side Note:
            I just wish - they still have Summer Fireworks, like old days
            around the lake !
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

At first I didn't mind the added complexity. As children and young adultsFast Pass used to not be a thing and we would go from ride to ride as whim and wait times dictated, but after Fast Pass was introduced it was nice for the must do rides (and the nifty paper souvenir if we happened to not use one). I liked MaxPass at first, but once we started with that DH began to feel the entire day was about being optimized versus being spontaneous. Mobile order was nice for ordering allergy friendly meals or skipping the to front of the Dole Whip line, but it could also be frustrating, so we rarely used it. But reservations now have taken to too far and made me realize how much better we used to like a day at Disneyland. All of the complexity makes it impossible to forget the outside world because we're always looking at our phones, which we didn't do before the Disneyland App became the main way to manage our day in the park.

Our son got us Rise of the Resistance reservations back in May when we took a family trip (a disappointing family trip, I would say). DH could hardly wrap his mind around the idea of a ride you couldn't wait in line for -- after all we'd waited in long lines when Star Tours opened, and for Indy on the first day (day after press event), and even for Guardians of the Galaxy. How could you buy a ticket (or have a pass) and not even be allowed to wait in line?

For us, simplicity and serendipity are partners in a great Disneyland experience. We want to be able to stop and watch the band and not be worrying about getting to a ride before the FastPass window ends. We want to be walking past a restaurant, smell something delicious cooking or baking or see a sign for a special, and decide to get in line and eat right then without navigating the app and finding out we have to wait a couple of hours.

We're on a break with Disney -- I suppose we could say the relationship status is "It's Complicated". My first photo at Disneyland is in utero. I spent the first half of my childhood seeing Disneyland fireworks outside my window on summer weekends, and we had extra tickets sitting in our silverware drawer well past when Disneyland stopped taking them. Our first real date was Disneyland, and we went on our honeymoon too. Our kids probably have more childhood photos at Disneyland than anywhere else. When we realized our teens would be venturing off soon we bought Sig+ passes so we could go nearly every weekend, it being something we all loved to do. We logged close to 50 single day visits per year in 2017 and 2018 -- maybe more. But I won't buy a pass that requires reservations. We're now at the point where our kids are going to be at university out of state, and after taking a break from passes the year SW:GE opened, DH and I thought we might buy Sig+ passes just for ourselves. But of course the C19 pandemic happened, sunsetting the previous AP program, and this replacement isn't good enough. We've decided to wait and see what happens. Our boys want to go at Christmas, but it'll depending on C19 and on Disney. After the May visit this spring we'll never go again without entertainment, and who knows what will happen with the pandemic and who knows if Disney will work out their labor conflicts. One thing I hate most about all visits requiring reservations is it allows Disney to dance on the edge of understaffing.

Comment

Things were a lot simpler before 2001. That year Disneyland shut down the Haunted Mansion to convert into Haunted Mansion Holiday. Nowadays you have to plan ahead to experience the classic version. The addition of fastpasses didn't help either. And before a certain horrific event, it was easier getting into the theme parks.

Comment

I think for me from just a pure Disneyland park experience that made me wish for the simpler good ol’days was the Rise of Reservation (Resistance) Lottery. I thought it was just wrong on so many levels, especially for out of state tourists with families that had to go through that experience.

Imagine being a parent or grandparent whose children/grandchildren waited years watching the next PotC / RSR -level Disney attraction to get built and the realizing all those thousands of hard earned dollars your family saved up came down to an arbitrary, Disney created reservation lottery?

“Sorry son, I guess we didn’t ‘win’ a Rise of the Resistance ride reservation. Let’s go ride Space Mountain again and hope we win the next time we can afford to come out here again in three years.”

I know I’m a old timer now and I know asking some people to wait in line more than 30 minutes seems like a lifetime, but so wish Disney would do even a couple ‘classic magic’ after hours park nights where you could just enjoy the park sans reservations on phones and fast passes.

I’m grateful I got to experience new attractions like ST, SM, and IJA waiting in line for hours, the anticipation building, and just enjoying actually sharing the excitement of my family and friends as we got closer each step to the newest Disney e-ticket worthy experience.

Comment

Many people have said this before, but I have so many good memories of joking around in the lines with friends and family. The rides are amazing, but they go by fast. It's the time with our families (not our phones) that are so memorable. The Disney queues are so immersive. The anticipation helped make the rides exciting, Jaygatzby, that's exactly how I would put it.

Comment

^^ ^ Jaygatzby's and nostalgic's posts x 10.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Jaygatzby View Post
                        I think for me from just a pure Disneyland park experience that made me wish for the simpler good ol’days was the Rise of Reservation (Resistance) Lottery. I thought it was just wrong on so many levels, especially for out of state tourists with families that had to go through that experience.

Imagine being a parent or grandparent whose children/grandchildren waited years watching the next PotC / RSR -level Disney attraction to get built and the realizing all those thousands of hard earned dollars your family saved up came down to an arbitrary, Disney created reservation lottery?

“Sorry son, I guess we didn’t ‘win’ a Rise of the Resistance ride reservation. Let’s go ride Space Mountain again and hope we win the next time we can afford to come out here again in three years.”
                        Lotteries are garbage. Everything should be meritocracy. First come, first serve. Want to guarantee something, get up early and be the first in the park to get your reservations.

Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!! ~~|~~ Katherine's 11th Birthday Dapper Day trip with Club 33 ~~|~~ Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~~|~~ My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report ~~|~~ Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report ~~|~~ World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party ~~|~~ My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club ~~|~~ My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2011 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

I know many will say its always been busy...but not like this

I used to go when rides could drop down to walk on before the fireworks....now its just Pirates has a 30+ min wait all day after 10 am until fireworks. Indy is the same you have to wait in lines and no way around it but their used to be days when they were slow and you could just walk on things...but not now
                          Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MouseObsessed View Post
                            One thing I hate most about all visits requiring reservations is it allows Disney to dance on the edge of understaffing.
                            This is one thing I am most concerned about in the coming year. Anyone else would take advantage of it and it could allow you to staff well beyond what is needed while still being able to use less hours over the year. However chapek though is more than willing to exploit it to the point where he is will let the parks look haggard if it helps him achieve his bonus.
                            Last edited by Starcade; 08-06-2021, 09:34 AM.
                            Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                              I know many will say its always been busy...but not like this

I used to go when rides could drop down to walk on before the fireworks....now its just Pirates has a 30+ min wait all day after 10 am until fireworks. Indy is the same you have to wait in lines and no way around it but their used to be days when they were slow and you could just walk on things...but not now
                              Supply and demand. Only way around it is to increase supply (not feasible), or reduce demand.

Comment

Well based On my first hand experiences with people around South OC and what others have said on here they appear to have definitely achieved the goal of decreasing demand. The biggest problem with the argument then that "there are plenty of other people willing to take the their spots" is yes, but every time you bring in the next group they are closer to the bottom of the bucket of interest and spend or they would have already been going.
                                Last edited by Starcade; 08-06-2021, 09:53 AM.
                                Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                                  Well based On my first hand experiences with people around South OC and what others have said on here they appear to have definitely achieved the goal of decreasing demand. The biggest problem with the argument then that "there are plenty of other people willing to take the their spots" is yes, but every time you bring in the next group they are closer to the bottom of the bucket of interest and spend or they would have already been going.
                                  Which is another symptom that under Chapek, DLR is in a race to the bottom.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                                    My demand is only decreased by the following items:
                                    No EMH
                                    Minimal Character M&Gs
                                    Reservation system
                                    Lottery system for the new attractions
                                    Minimal Mousekeeping at the resort hotels
                                    Park hopping restrictions
                                    No FP
                                    Mask mandates

The MINIMAL price increases are pretty irrelevant to me if the aforementioned items were appropriately addressed. I'm an experience guy on vacation. I can make more dollars... I can't get my experiences back.
                                    Last edited by whoever; 08-06-2021, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Disney officials hinted that 1pm park hopping is here to stay, and the conditions of the AP program appears to cement this. It’s considered a successful tool in managing crowds.

Park hopping at 1pm is not a bump for me. I hadn’t even scratched the surface of Disneyland until around 3pm. I park hopped twice during my recent visit — once for lunch and then again to enjoy three hours worth of attractions.

Comment

Originally posted by whoever View Post

My demand is only decreased by the following items:
                                        No EMH
                                        Minimal Character M&Gs
                                        Reservation system
                                        Lottery system for the new attractions
                                        Minimal Mousekeeping at the resort hotels
                                        Park hopping restrictions
                                        No FP
                                        Mask mandates

The MINIMAL price increases are pretty irrelevant to me if the aforementioned items were appropriately addressed. I'm an experience guy on vacation. I can make more dollars... I can't get my experiences back.
                                        This is where I am. I usually go for a 3 day weekend once a year. You could knock off $50 from each 3 day pass I get for my family and it wouldn't make me any more likely to visit the parks.

I'm hoping that some of these things are temporary, covid environment changes. My next conceived, but not even planned trip is in December. I'm hoping that some of these things go away by then. I'll probably reassess once we get to November.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X