Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget Cuts Hitting Avengers Campus?

Avengers Campus has been open for just over two months, and I’ve noticed some updates. Wondering if others think the changes might be an example of declining by degrees?

Spider-Man’s new show doesn’t involve as much flipping and mild stunts. It’s more like he rolls over the spread out boxes now. When he descends down the wall he doesn’t do the trademark wall climb and just repels down. Poor Spider-Man was struggling to figure out what to do with his extra time before the theme music ends and he crouches for photos.

The Wakanda warriors show now only has the leader and one additional performer instead of the previous two.

PYM’s test kitchen was serving alcohol in standard green cups instead of the oversized beakers.

Originally posted by Goldendreamer View Post
    Avengers Campus has been open for just over two months, and I’ve noticed some updates. Wondering if others think the changes might be an example of declining by degrees?

Spider-Man’s new show doesn’t involve as much flipping and mild stunts. It’s more like he rolls over the spread out boxes now. When he descends down the wall he doesn’t do the trademark wall climb and just repels down. Poor Spider-Man was struggling to figure out what to do with his extra time before the theme music ends and he crouches for photos.

The Wakanda warriors show now only has the leader and one additional performer instead of the previous two.

PYM’s test kitchen was serving alcohol in standard green cups instead of the oversized beakers.
    That was one of the main reasons why Walt pursued Audio-Animatronics. You get a consistent show and experience with AA. You don't have the problem with fatigue, boredom, change in performers, budgets, motivation, or collective bargaining. When I hear that Disney is including human performers in their Attractions, I cringe. Because I know in the end, everyday it's going to suck a little bit more, before it ends up being a "performer" walking around as a meet-n-greet, or scrapped altogether.

I know they use an AA Spiderman for part of the performance, but the rest is just a cheesy human performer - wearing a stupid safety harness most of the time - and flopping around with some childish tumbling acts (eyes rolling)

Save the human performers for things such as musical performances (Golden Horseshoe) or dance performances (Tomorrowland Stage).

Again, the cheapening of the Disney "experience". You are correct to see it as "declining by degrees" and yet the new generation of Disney Guests put up with it. Bravo people *sigh*
    Last edited by stovk; 08-07-2021, 10:46 AM.
    “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
    WDW Trips: '81
    EPCOT Trips: '93
    Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Really?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Goldendreamer View Post

Not surprising. Budget cuts were predicted before Avengers Campus opened. It's the standard M.O. of the Chapek regime, and can be expected regardless of how well the P&L is doing.
        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Again, cheapening of the Disney
          No surprise here......Guests Paid More and get Less!
          It's the standard M.O. of the Chapek regime..............and will continue to be .
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

There’s just something cheap about superheroes in any iteration at any theme park. The pajama suits, wigs, bad casting, cringe stunt performances and posing. It’s just bad anywhere. Six Flags, Universal and now Disney. No one gets it right. I think it’s impossible.

Comment

I'm not into superheroes
              Sure they can be Entertaining ......But I can not see them , as real heroes
              Firefighters, policemen and policewomen, ambulance medics, Ect.
              It is People that risked their lives, to try to save or protect the lives of others.
              IMO
              Last edited by Eagleman; 08-07-2021, 07:01 PM.
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by wdimike55 View Post
                There’s just something cheap about superheroes in any iteration at any theme park. The pajama suits, wigs, bad casting, cringe stunt performances and posing. It’s just bad anywhere. Six Flags, Universal and now Disney. No one gets it right. I think it’s impossible.
                Thank God someone finally said it!

They work in comic books. They work (conditionally) in movies.

But in theme parks...

Click image for larger version  Name:	hqdefault.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.2 KB ID:	8644544
                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek

Comment

Amazing what extensive post production and movie lighting can do lol. Part of the problem is that they often don’t adjust much about the film costumes when they transplant them into the parks, almost everyone has seen fantasy or sci fi movie props. All of them look awful to the naked eye without movie magic because they are made to look good on screen after everything is done not walking around a park on a sunny day.

Comment

Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post

Amazing what extensive post production and movie lighting can do lol. Part of the problem is that they often don’t adjust much about the film costumes when they transplant them into the parks, almost everyone has seen fantasy or sci fi movie props. All of them look awful to the naked eye without movie magic because they are made to look good on screen after everything is done not walking around a park on a sunny day.
                    Fun Fact: The costumes for Iron Man, Iron Patriot, Pepper's Rescue Suit, Vision's Armor and Spidey's Avengers Suit* are all created via digital effects. They did use an actual physical costume for RDJ in Iron Man 1, but it was very uncomfortable. Starting on with Iron Man 2, they used digital effects to create the costumes that would be too cumbersome to actually wear.

We should actually be glad that Marvel has at least redesigned or changed some of their more awkward costumes. Case in point, the recent redesign of the Scarlet Witch's suit . Or better yet, how the MCU didn't even bother even creating Carol Danver's OG suit (AKA her Ms. Marvel suit). Both wouldn't of gone well with the public eye. They even mocked Scarlet Witch's and Vision's original suits in WandaVision.

*The Spider-Man Suit seen in Infinity War & Endgame

Comment

In defense of Avengers Campus and character costumes –– Captain America's costume looks very high-quality and great, as do the Wakanda costumes. In person, I was fascinated, and very pleased with what I saw, and that aspect of the land did not feel cheap.

While I think the Spiderman show is a bit awkward, it's a shame to hear AC is going to suffer a worse fate than that of Galaxy's Edge. Galaxy's Edge without entertainment can at least stand on its own, and with an E-ticket, it has a boosted sense of life. AC doesn't have that luxury, and if they strip it of live entertainment, I think the land itself will be sent to its grave. I mean, not to be super negative, but AC doesn't even have any shade... the area will become completely useless and dead.

I didn't think of myself as a huge Marvel fan, but this news breaks my heart, which made me realize that the brand does mean a lot to me, and it's very sad to be let down this much.

Comment

“While I think the Spiderman show is a bit awkward, it's a shame to hear AC is going to suffer a worse fate than that of Galaxy's Edge. Galaxy's Edge without entertainment can at least stand on its own, and with an E-ticket, it has a boosted sense of life. AC doesn't have that luxury, and if they strip it of live entertainment, I think the land itself will be sent to its grave. I mean, not to be super negative, but AC doesn't even have any shade... the area will become completely useless and dead.”

I agree with you and wonder if Disney sees it too. I get the impression that Disney is trying to convert the rest of Hollywood land into a cheap overlayed version of Avengers Campus so if they do cut back on live entertainment you hopefully won’t notice as much. They added theming to the temporary seating situation outside of Hyperion. They have Mickey and Chip and Dale dressed up in Avengers t shirts on the stage near Monsters Inc. for meet and greets. My gut tells me that we won’t have an actual live performance of any kind for the near future (there or Fantasyland Theatre). The only show rumored to be coming is a Spiderman and Friends for the toddlers. Stage 17 still has the collectors items for sale. Honestly they would do well to move items from Stage 17 into the Guardians gift shop because, ya know, Tivan’s famous as being The Collector and what not.

Comment

Bugs Land at least had the wonderful landscaping and shade to relax in. In the evenings it felt like a quiet escape. The really cool bamboo forest area just between where Guardians is and the Bugs Land entrance will be missed. This new land just doesn't "feel" right. It should have been built in the city area by the old muppers movie attraction instead of taking away ride that kids used to love. And atmosphere that people like me enjoy of Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Thank God someone finally said it!

They work in comic books. They work (conditionally) in movies.

But in theme parks...

Click image for larger version Name:	hqdefault.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.2 KB ID:	8644544
                            and I have to Agree....
                            But again ,I not into COMIC-CON / Superheroes neither......
                            That just me ......
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by MychaelP View Post
                              Bugs Land at least had the wonderful landscaping and shade to relax in. In the evenings it felt like a quiet escape. The really cool bamboo forest area just between where Guardians is and the Bugs Land entrance will be missed. This new land just doesn't "feel" right. It should have been built in the city area by the old muppers movie attraction instead of taking away ride that kids used to love. And atmosphere that people like me enjoy of Disney
                              They could have used Hollywood Land for Avengers Campus and just rethemed Bug’s Land to Ant-Man instead, all while maintaining the idea of being in the front lawn of the tower.

Red Skull could have had a show at the Hyperion. Sort of like The Producers’ Springtime for Hitler. 😄

I think they gave up on DCA 2.0 too soon but even I recognize the pressure to use Marvel. It’s too bad they had to rush it. So they didn’t want to wait or invest in a dedicated Marvel park but then it seems they didn’t want to wait or invest in a proper takeover of Hollywood Land either. Instead we got this half of a loaf.
                              Last edited by wdimike55; 08-08-2021, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I don't think it's impossible, but one of the big problems is that the locations in comic-books aren't exactly made-for-theme park material. Whether it's New York City, Gotham, etc., the locations in super-hero stories are often gritty, sordid urban environments. Disney's Avengers Campus and Universal's Super Hero Island are great examples of this environment not translating well into a three-dimensional theme park land.

Of course, there are some whimsical realms in super hero comics/movies that would look cool as theme park lands: Atlantis, Wakanda, Asgard. But these are locations that are made with copious amounts of CGI, and couldn't be easily captured in theme park space. Something like Star Wars or Harry Potter, on the other hand, is shot largely on location, and can thus be more easily recreated at a theme park.

I'm of the belief that just about in "blue-sky" idea could hypothetically work with the right execution, budget, creative team, et cetera, but it seems the theme park industry hasn't yet cracked the code for super heroes.
                                Brian the Pooh

Comment

Literally I was on TikTok and the love for so called Disney fans that believe D'Amaro is the savior - Then I see this

Yes some things may be impacted by the Pandemic but with falling visitor rates to the resort, I am not surprised budget cuts have hit, One thing I have noticed is that even advertising is down, unless your on ABC stations and there using Weather segments to show Disney daily right now
                                  Follow me on Twitter @hurricanefreak

"hope for the best plan for the worst"

Comment

I just keep thinking about the loss of Bugs Land and how it had plenty of shade and did not require a single costumed CM or show to make the land. It worked and it stood on its own and provided a great experience for all guests. Sadly though it did not have a restaurant and gift shop which lets face it was what sold the conversion to Marvel's Crapmess.

Had they just added a gift shop and restaurant to Bugsland they could have cashed in with minimal effort and down time while still keeping what was once one of the best parts of DCA imho.

Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                                      I just keep thinking about the loss of Bugs Land and how it had plenty of shade and did not require a single costumed CM or show to make the land. It worked and it stood on its own and provided a great experience for all guests. Sadly though it did not have a restaurant and gift shop which lets face it was what sold the conversion to Marvel's Crapmess.

Had they just added a gift shop and restaurant to Bugsland they could have cashed in with minimal effort and down time while still keeping what was once one of the best parts of DCA imho.

Outside of the pulsing sun on the concrete, Avengers Campus is a straight up win over Bug's Land in my opinion. Pym's Bar and Grille (TM) is pretty ace, the Dr. Strange show is cool beans and the Spidey ride is fun, if not a bit frivolous. Love that I can get a schwarma too. Haven't tried the space churro thing but it's on my list.

I'm a pretty casual Marvel fan but it was so much fun to watch a group of 4 teen girls shriek at the sight of a man who is not even a Hemsworth dressed like Thor. Was legit like Beatlemania. Same for when "President" Loki came out - the entire campus lit up. This doesn't make it great or in needing of a little more substance but it's hard to hear people romanticize such a worthless piece of space like Bug's Land when I've seen the potential of AC.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X