Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the shutting down of steakhouse 55

I think that closing of this place is despicable! This was one of the roughest reservation to get get hotel. And with Disney's wisdom they announced it's closure. I was trying to organize a way to let management know how disgusted we are of their decision. Does anybody have a email address or a address to write a letter to someone's attention. I would hate to see this place go away with some protest.

/.

Originally posted by whoever View Post
    It was ALWAYS the BEST value for a meal anywhere on property. They closed it because they can likely eek out some crappy replacement for it which will drive more dollars from tourists who have the palate of a 3 year old.
    It was getting pretty dated, but there’s always the balance at Disney between dated and nostalgic, I’m somewhat surprised that they didn’t close for a Reno to update it to a more modern steakhouse feel, added some trendy impossible meat options and called it a day.

i do agree with you about the masses though, it happens all the time...good unique and interesting food options released.....guests want burgers and fries.....interesting and unique options replaced with expensive fast food.

Comment

Meanwhile, on the other coast, a similar major high end restaurant with a good reputation at the Contemporary Resort was shuttered ("The Wave"). It is being torn apart right now. The rumor is that it will be replaced with a retro themed Steakhouse.

Kinda like Steakhouse 55.

One slight problem is the rumored injection of IP.

It is going to basically be Steakhouse 55, at WDW, but themed to... The Incredibles.

The renovated rooms at the Contemporary are loosely themed to The Incredibles as well, so it is not much of a stretch to expect the Incredibles theme in the restaurant as well.

I think we know how this will turn out.

It'll be a grand opening of the new concept on both coasts once construction is done in Florida. Bonus is the cost savings as they won't have to change much at the DLH since it's already a retro design.

Comment

I've been going there since it was Granville's Steakhouse. We often went there for one breakfast and one dinner on each vacation. I'm going to miss it.

Comment

I would like to see us complain about their decision instead of accepting managements choice. I would like to know where to direct our complaints..

Comment

I, too, was disappointed at the closure of 55. It was my favorite sit down location at the resort. We went there several times a year. Living about 22 miles from the resort, it was nice to pop in for a very nice dinner and then a walk through DTD. Great food, service, and atmosphere. Not that I don't love the little ones, but it was a place that had an overwhelmingly adult customer base. It was a nice break from the frenetic pace that the parks generate. I'm gonna miss the rib eye, the lobster mac and cheese, and the 24 layer chocolate cake! That leaves only two "nice" restaurants on property. Carthay (which requires park admission) and Napa. I hope that they replace it with another high end sit down rather than expand Goofy's Kitchen or some other such nonsense. Although the party line will be "enhancing the guest experience", $$$ is always the driving factor. (BTW...first world problems; yes?? )

Comment

I feel There there others Steak House near by the resort ,that is cheaper and better . IMO
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by allretired View Post
                Not that I don't love the little ones, but it was a place that had an overwhelmingly adult customer base. It was a nice break from the frenetic pace that the parks generate. I'm gonna miss the rib eye, the lobster mac and cheese, and the 24 layer chocolate cake!
                They killed the chocolate cake a few years back. Such a loss. That Lobster Mac was also beyond amazing. We took our kids there frequently for both dinner and breakfast.

That leaves only two "nice" restaurants on property. Carthay (which requires park admission) and Napa.
                There are two other "nicer" restaurants on property......albeit expensive/hard to access.
                Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!! ~~|~~ Katherine's 11th Birthday Dapper Day trip with Club 33 ~~|~~ Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~~|~~ My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report ~~|~~ Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report ~~|~~ World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party ~~|~~ My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club ~~|~~ My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2011 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

Originally posted by allretired View Post
                  I, too, was disappointed at the closure of 55. It was my favorite sit down location at the resort. We went there several times a year. Living about 22 miles from the resort, it was nice to pop in for a very nice dinner and then a walk through DTD. Great food, service, and atmosphere. Not that I don't love the little ones, but it was a place that had an overwhelmingly adult customer base. It was a nice break from the frenetic pace that the parks generate. I'm gonna miss the rib eye, the lobster mac and cheese, and the 24 layer chocolate cake! That leaves only two "nice" restaurants on property. Carthay (which requires park admission) and Napa. I hope that they replace it with another high end sit down rather than expand Goofy's Kitchen or some other such nonsense. Although the party line will be "enhancing the guest experience", $$$ is always the driving factor. (BTW...first world problems; yes?? )
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0358.JPG
Views:	700
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	8644675 RIP 24 Layer Cake and best restaurant at Disney.
                  My wife is the rebel spy.

Comment

My friends and I used to go once a year, we actually happened to be there on the last day of operation. They were very nice and light-hearted towards us, we even got the leftover desserts at no extra charge, 6 crème brulee! (They donated all non-perishables to a local food bank). We also had the same waitress for every time we showed up. We had a personal connection to that restaurant, I was very saddened to see it go. Most of our group weren't even passholders, but they loved the Disney touch. I hope Beth (Our waitress) is doing well!

Comment

I'm surprised that many of you are "surprised" that Disney closed it. Have you not been paying attention the last several years?
                      “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                      WDW Trips: '81
                      EPCOT Trips: '93
                      Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post
                        I'm surprised that many of you are "surprised" that Disney closed it. Have you not been paying attention the last several years?
                        Yes, unfortunately.

Comment

Did you check their website? Most often they leave a customer service address, phone number and email. Check also if they have customer service box where you can direct your concerns.

Comment

thanks

Comment

And it's back... In a way.

They just announced Steakhouse 71... In Orlando at the Contemporary Resort. Even the same chocolate cake and logo.

Comment

If one is smart, they appreciate the “gems” in their life while they are there. Experiences/places/people, come, stay a while and eventually leave. I enjoyed this gem when visiting the Disneyland Resort. It ranks up high in my many memories of my trips to the DL.
                                BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by ClownLoach View Post
                                  And it's back... In a way.

They just announced Steakhouse 71... In Orlando at the Contemporary Resort. Even the same chocolate cake and logo.
                                  They describe it as "casual," though. Unless there's a Western theme, which this definitely won't be, steak houses are usually a little more "fancy."
                                  I hope the cake is the same. That would make a lot of people happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post

They describe it as "casual," though. Unless there's a Western theme, which this definitely won't be, steak houses are usually a little more "fancy."
                                    I hope the cake is the same. That would make a lot of people happy.
                                    The phrase "casual" seems to get thrown around a lot in Orlando though. It's a completely different clientele. Understand that "casual" should be synonymous with WDW resort restaurants that anywhere else would be called "fancy."

​With 95% or more of their guests flying in from around the world there is next to zero room for anything catering to the formal suit and tie/cocktail dress crowd. They don't want to scare them off.

I would rate Tiffins at Animal Kingdom as one of the top 5 restaurants I have ever eaten at - this was when it was still firing on all cylinders in 2017 - everything about it was formal except for the guest dress code. It exceeded all expectations and blows past Napa Rose and Carthay Circle in every aspect. We were each handed a Joe Rhode sketch as a welcome - simply unbelievable experience with unforgettable good food. For the life of me I can't remember their names but my family was seated between two tables that both had plaids leading families on the infamous private tours. We didn't realize it then but both were major celebrities on what were at the time big TV shows, one was featured on the Parks Blog a few days later confirming our suspicions. Disney again uses the "Casual" phrase for Tiffins and its dress code.

Realistically when you compare DLR to WDW - at DLR as we know there are just a few truly formal restaurants where the price and service are worthy of being considered "fancy.". Napa Rose, Carthay, Club 33. Meanwhile there are dozens of what are truly destination resort quality restaurants around the WDW property that are comparable but you can still safely eat your filet mignon with shaved truffle at Le Cellier for example while wearing your favorite Mickey T Shirt and shorts.
                                    ​​​​​
                                    If they are saying Steakhouse 71 is "casual" - I'll say again it's going to be at a minimum on the level of a Ruth's Chris or Capital Grille. It's replacing a comparable higher tier restaurant (The Wave of Contemporary Flavors) and they're remodeling to make it fancier. This isn't going to be a Disney version of Sizzler with Mr. Incredible walking around posing for pictures by the salad bar. Nor will it be at the level of a chain Steakhouse like Texas Roadhouse, Black Angus, Saltgrass, Outback, Longhorn, etc. It'll be a cut above for sure to live in the Contemporary Resort. Disney is going to be looking for a $100/head average ticket. You aren't going to get a Top Sirloin with fries included at Steakhouse 71 and there isn't going to be a dinner combo plate.

I would expect it to be a better Mid Century Modern style version of Steakhouse 55. I'll bet it comes out as a Florida version of The Arthur J (from Manhattan Beach - a restaurant where it is hard to determine the most stunning part - the food, service, atmosphere, or how much the final bill is at the end of the night). I guarantee you Chapek and his high paid execs have been there before and have been trying to shoehorn such a concept into one of their properties. This is their chance.
                                    Last edited by ClownLoach; 08-22-2021, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Maybe they're going to start swapping restaurants between resorts like they do parades. What restaurants recently closed at WDW?
                                      "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X