Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long/should they send out letters to former CMs asking them back?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long/should they send out letters to former CMs asking them back?

I asked this last year, wondering if enough CMs would come back after Disneyland reopened.

Now here we are and apparently it has come true. Not enough CMs willing to come back/stay.

So how long do you think it will be...if ever, that Disneyland sends out letters to former CMs asking them back?

This happened back in the 90's. They even asked back CMs who were terminated and had no-rehire status. (For attendance or minor things.)

Has the time come to do it again?

Sounds like some of the former CM’s are standing their ground and won’t allow the abusive relationship to continue.
    Big Thunder Ranch > Galaxys Edge

Comment

I know CMs in skilled trades who chose not to return to the parks and take different jobs in the same field. Disney could try to send out the letters, but that won't be enough to hire the workforce you need at scale. I still find it incredible that D'Amaro said just two months ago they were keeping staffing at half of preclosure levels (maybe staffing was bloated pre-COVID, but not by double). If 15,000 people are skipping returning to the parks alone... they need to seriously revamp their strategy for luring and retaining talent.

The problem we see here is that it's absolutely having a negative effect on the guest experience across the resort. Blue Bayou has empty tables every day despite there being no reservations, simply because they don't have enough waiters to take orders. Absolutely no entertainment to speak of creates an abysmal experience for people wanting to rest their feet and get out of lines/walkways. And now for the first time in as long as I can remember, we see trash cans piling up and bathrooms going uncleaned. If Disney waits until things get so bad people start staying away, I worry it might be too late.

Originally posted by whoever View Post
      It would be very simple... increase the comp.
      Very true. Labor is in high demand throughout California, and other major employers have done the same. The unfortunate truth for both Disneyland and the employees at HQ in Burbank is that even pre-COVID Disney often paid below-rate for their value because they are at Disney and that comes with certain benefits and cachet. It seems like that goodwill might be drying up and that's just not enough for people anymore.

Comment

Bottom line DLR supposedly has still failed to call back several CM's who have gone on a record and claimed they are still waiting for their return to work call. I do not know the exact numbers or details but I would think they would have to call these laid off CM's first before needing to dip into the past CM's list.

A lot of the reason DLR was able to underpay as long as they have was as some have said the perks used to be part of the package. The free entry into the parks while allowing you to bring guests with you, the discounts, promotional items and gifts exclusive to CM's the added training giving you a carrot on your resume to take with you beyond the DLR job you have etc. Almost all these perks have been removed over the past couple of years.I have a cousin who left being a CM a couple of years back as these perks started to disappear he saw the writing on the wall. Without bringing them back DLR needs to compensate accordingly to make up for their loss. DLR needs to figure out what is more costly to them the perks or the increase in compensation because one will have to return or they will continue to struggle with staffing. When I was a teen in the 80's a job at Disneyland was seen as prestigious and the first step to a career, now working at McDonalds is more beneficial and supportive, and parking and uniforms are much better at a Micky D's than Mickey Mouse's.
        Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
          Bottom line DLR supposedly has still failed to call back several CM's who have gone on a record and claimed they are still waiting for their return to work call. I do not know the exact numbers or details but I would think they would have to call these laid off CM's first before needing to dip into the past CM's list.

A lot of the reason DLR was able to underpay as long as they have was as some have said the perks used to be part of the package. The free entry into the parks while allowing you to bring guests with you, the discounts, promotional items and gifts exclusive to CM's the added training giving you a carrot on your resume to take with you beyond the DLR job you have etc. Almost all these perks have been removed over the past couple of years.I have a cousin who left being a CM a couple of years back as these perks started to disappear he saw the writing on the wall. Without bringing them back DLR needs to compensate accordingly to make up for their loss. DLR needs to figure out what is more costly to them the perks or the increase in compensation because one will have to return or they will continue to struggle with staffing. When I was a teen in the 80's a job at Disneyland was seen as prestigious and the first step to a career, now working at McDonalds is more beneficial and supportive, and parking and uniforms are much better at a Micky D's than Mickey Mouse's.
          Those perks cost them practically NOTHING. It was beyond shortsighted to remove them. I recall leaving late at night or early in the morning pre-park opening and the CMs were lined up for CM-only events.
          Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!! ~~|~~ Katherine's 11th Birthday Dapper Day trip with Club 33 ~~|~~ Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~~|~~ My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report ~~|~~ Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report ~~|~~ World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party ~~|~~ My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club ~~|~~ My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2011 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
            ...When I was a teen in the 80's a job at Disneyland was seen as prestigious and the first step to a career, now working at McDonalds is more beneficial and supportive, and parking and uniforms are much better at a Micky D's than Mickey Mouse's.
            Exactly. And it's not only Disney's laughable pay and lack of perks, it's also the idiotic scheduling and asinine treatment from management that is flushing DLR's employment reputation down the crapper.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Exactly. And it's not only Disney's laughable pay and lack of perks, it's also the idiotic scheduling and asinine treatment from management that is flushing DLR's employment reputation down the crapper.
              IMO-love to laugh......But myself, I find it sick......
              Over all - employment reputation going down ,in the whole company.
              Except with the Leadership
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I'm a disney retiree and can't even sign myself in. I have to pay just like any other guest. Also all of the complimentary passes that were given out will be expiring, cancelling all of those perks. Just another example of non appreciation of cms. Also, forget about signing in guests or family which was one of the big perks for working at the park. Where has Walt's statement that cms make the magic. I'm afraid the magic is slowly dwindling, if there is any left>

Comment

Originally posted by Area patrol 1 View Post
                  I'm a disney retiree and can't even sign myself in. I have to pay just like any other guest. Also all of the complimentary passes that were given out will be expiring, cancelling all of those perks. Just another example of non appreciation of cms. Also, forget about signing in guests or family which was one of the big perks for working at the park. Where has Walt's statement that cms make the magic. I'm afraid the magic is slowly dwindling, if there is any left>
                  As for Cast Member perks ,has dwindling away....I
                  TODAY Disney, Have No concept of "TEAM" nor longer.
                  DLR's employment reputation went down the Greedy drain!

But in my eyes = Cast Member are still "MAGIC" of Disney Parks.........
                  Last edited by Eagleman; 08-10-2021, 05:19 PM.
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Area patrol 1 View Post
                    Where has Walt's statement that cms make the magic. I'm afraid the magic is slowly dwindling, if there is any left>
                    The moment Disney started looking at Cast Members as expenses rather than assets.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X