Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News OC Register: Disneyland annual passholders won’t get Magic Key pre-sale access

Disney management finds yet another way to tell former APers, "We don't give a rat's rear about you."

OC Register: Disneyland annual passholders won’t get Magic Key pre-sale access

Disneyland has provided former annual passholders with a host of perks, but the Anaheim theme park withheld the benefit their biggest fans may have wanted the most: Pre-sale access to the new Magic Key annual pass.

Former Disneyland annual passholders will have to wait in a virtual line with everybody else when Magic Key annual passes go on sale.

Magic Key passes will go on sale for all guests at the same time on Aug. 25, according to Disney officials. (That on-sale time is not before 10 a.m. PT.)

Disneyland made a commitment to provide Legacy Passholders with discounts on merchandise, food and beverage until a new membership program was announced and to notify them first about the new Magic Key program, according to Disney officials.

Disneyland ended its four-decade-old annual pass program and bestowed the fervent fan base with a “Legacy Passholders” title in January while developing the new Magic Key replacement.

Disneyland officials won’t say how many people have annual passes, but theme park industry observers have estimated the number to be 1 million. Annual passholders comprise an estimated 50% of Disneyland resort attendance, according to UBS financial analysts.

What’s going to happen when passholders all log on at once after 17 months of patiently waiting to purchase Magic Key annual passes?

Disneyland’s recent online ticket sales have seen virtual crowds overwhelming the website for A Touch of Disney food festival in March and virtual waits stretching up to 28 hours for tickets and reservations for the reopening of Disneyland and DCA in April following a 412-day pandemic closure.

Full story at the link above.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

WARNING: My response is salty.

The joke's on you, Disney! Your AP smear campaign will not be forgotten and I'm not purchasing anything until your extensive "closed" list gets flipped.

The kids say "F around and find out!" Disney, you're about to find out!
    Last edited by Captain Andy; 08-11-2021, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Disney sure have ways playing there game..........
      Another reason why ,I do not mess with Disney .
      The trust is- not there!>
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

The 25th will be another "fun filled" day with ticked off people just trying to give them money. Or it will be a breeze if they get a lot fewer MK's than they expected. DLR has had an interesting recent history of unveils and launches where things that they most thought would be a mad house end up being ghost towns and vice versa. Cedar Fair and Knott's have already begun promoting their 2021-2022 Season passes likely to try and squeeze out as many more holders as they can before Magic Key launches and they see their numbers drop a touch.

I already am going to into the 25th knowing I will need 3-4 devices all logging in to try and get our Keys early as even though I do not see any of the levels selling out, I am not sure they won't be throttled leading to false scarcity.
        Last edited by Starcade; 08-13-2021, 10:53 AM.
        Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Was it ever confirmed if there will be a cap on passes sold? If not, I don't see the need for a day one rush. I read on the other thread that it might be limited, but I don't really see how that would work -- wouldn't people's passes be expiring at all different times and make it really difficult and sporadic trying to get a pass for the first time?

Comment

Originally posted by tyrannosaur View Post
            Was it ever confirmed if there will be a cap on passes sold? If not, I don't see the need for a day one rush. I read on the other thread that it might be limited, but I don't really see how that would work -- wouldn't people's passes be expiring at all different times and make it really difficult and sporadic trying to get a pass for the first time?
            AP's have always been labeled as "limited" when they were first launched we did not have the multiple media touch points like we do today where when something happens that you may be interested in the information comes to you from multiple sources. So that being said AP's were always being purchased and expired daily in large batches as there has never been a single day surge like we are likely to see on the 25th. A lot of folks will likely buy the AP's on opening day as that will allow them first crack on making reservations.

I remember when they launched AP's in 1984 you had to buy them at the ticket window (no online purchases) they were like $65 bucks and I wanted one so badly but my parents were like "That crazy expensive we don't even go once a year why would we spend $260 when we wouldn't go but once? I did not see their logic and to be honest I still don't since we lived about the same distance from the park as I do now (15 min on a Sunday) and they made close to what I make now (thanks stagflation)

Now it is been all over the news and everyone has received at least one email or seen a banner ad letting them know MK's are coming. If they simply get a 1/4 of previous AP's to sign up on day one that is estimated to be 250K which is not small feet to process even via the web.
            Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

If someone would have been able to buy a ticket online in 1984 that would have been very impressive. 😉

Comment

If the servers crash or when people wait insane length, it makes the local news (that’s what happened when it opened this year). I don’t like it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney did. It is free advertising with the spice of FOMO. Even if you were not interested in getting one, you will likely hear about others getting it.

Comment

I think the key word for me is 'former'. When you are 'former' it means 'not anymore'. Disney made that pretty clear that this is a new pass program and a level playing field. So as former passholders I don't think there should be an expectation that one gets bumped 'to the FOTL' to buy the new pass.

That being said, I doubt very much if Disney's capping these passes, at least not the two highest levels.
                  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

They're "limited" in the sense of creating an artificial scarcity. That way those who want them will storm the gates to get at them thinking they're getting that rare commodity,

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
                      They're "limited" in the sense of creating an artificial scarcity. That way those who want them will storm the gates to get at them thinking they're getting that rare commodity,
                      Yes 100% just a marketing and sales trick to drive FOMO behavior in the crowds.

Disney does more of what it is rewarded for, so if lots of people fall over themselves to give Disney money, they will continue to treat the customers this way.

I'll pass on the "pass" for now.

Eagleman there's more to life than Disney

Comment

I can also report Disney just told me in the app chat the 3-day SoCal tickets are non upgradable to Magic Keys.

Comment

Beyond shortsighted.
                          You know, I have the strangest feeling that I've seen that ship before. A long time ago, when I was very young. ―George Darling
                          It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell. ― Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by loungefly97 View Post
                            I can also report Disney just told me in the app chat the 3-day SoCal tickets are non upgradable to Magic Keys.

The way Disney works
                            that why ...the special3-day SoCal tickets....was Advertise before the Magic Keys
                            I was sure.......about that......In Disney Eyes $ not same product
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

The way Disney works
                              that why ...the special3-day SoCal tickets....was Advertise before the Magic Keys
                              I was sure.......about that......In Disney Eyes $ not same product
                              I had an annual pass from 2009-COVID cancellation and it originated as a “Summer Fun Pass” for SoCal residents, a 3-day park hopper that I upgraded on the final visit. They even gave me credit for the full price of a ticket for the first 2 days.

Without passes or magic keys, I never thought to check the fine print about upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by loungefly97 View Post

I had an annual pass from 2009-COVID cancellation and it originated as a “Summer Fun Pass” for SoCal residents, a 3-day park hopper that I upgraded on the final visit. They even gave me credit for the full price of a ticket for the first 2 days.

Without passes or magic keys, I never thought to check the fine print about upgrades.
                                YEP
                                Got to always read ...the small printslol
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X