Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Magic Key, a Disney Genie, and the Wish of the Citizens

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Magic Key, a Disney Genie, and the Wish of the Citizens

    Bob Chapek said on today’s call that Disney Genie will be rolling out in WDW soon. It was explained as basically paid fastpass like Paris got. Do you think Disneyland will be getting a version of it too at the same time? What do you think will be in it? What do you wish would be included with it?

    Personally, I think AP’s should get something included with the Magic Key program - even if it’s just one pass per reservation. It felt like a slap in the face (and the all too common feeling of a money grab) that they touted the program to Legacy AP’s and didn’t even give us an opportunity to purchase early (even if an hour before they go on sale to the general public).

  • #2
    Answer is Yes....IMO
    But I not for it......Another $ MONEY GRAB " $

    Disneyland will be getting a version of it too .........
    Disney might see how it works at WDW first ,then it be at Disneyland
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

    Comment


    • #3
      My concern is it will unbalance the way the entire park operates (in a negative way) for short term gain. Once everyone has moved to WDW except the Disneyland team, I think they will try to make every ride it’s own separate price and only the highest earning rides will get extra attention. I know that was done a long time ago, but you weren’t charged $200/day on top of it.

      Comment


      • #4
        We can easily shutdown Chapek and his wishes simply by not going to the park or buying this pathetic new AP. Do not buy his crappy excuse for an AP. Do not go to the parks for a couple of months and Chapek will reverse course on everything and give us what we want. We have the money/power in this relationship. Stop paying top dollar for a poor product and you will get parking, and the reservation system will be thrown away. Don't pay for an AP that they can decide to limit you on whenever they get a whim. And make no mistake that is what this reservation system will be used for. On weekends when customers are buying lots of the multi-day tickets, Disney will reduce the amount of reservations available at the drop of a dime if it suits them. This new program is way too one sided. Don't let Disney rip us off with grossly understaffed and dirty parks without entertainment. Demand more for your money.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
          We can easily shutdown Chapek and his wishes simply by not going to the park or buying this pathetic new AP. Do not buy his crappy excuse for an AP. Do not go to the parks for a couple of months and Chapek will reverse course on everything and give us what we want. We have the money/power in this relationship. Stop paying top dollar for a poor product and you will get parking, and the reservation system will be thrown away. Don't pay for an AP that they can decide to limit you on whenever they get a whim. And make no mistake that is what this reservation system will be used for. On weekends when customers are buying lots of the multi-day tickets, Disney will reduce the amount of reservations available at the drop of a dime if it suits them. This new program is way too one sided. Don't let Disney rip us off with grossly understaffed and dirty parks without entertainment. Demand more for your money.
          Today Disney Motto.....Let guest pay more and we give them " LESS"
          I still vote with my wallet.........imo
          Last edited by Eagleman; 08-12-2021, 06:49 PM.
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
            We can easily shutdown Chapek and his wishes simply by not going to the park or buying this pathetic new AP. Do not buy his crappy excuse for an AP. Do not go to the parks for a couple of months and Chapek will reverse course on everything and give us what we want. We have the money/power in this relationship. Stop paying top dollar for a poor product and you will get parking, and the reservation system will be thrown away. Don't pay for an AP that they can decide to limit you on whenever they get a whim. And make no mistake that is what this reservation system will be used for. On weekends when customers are buying lots of the multi-day tickets, Disney will reduce the amount of reservations available at the drop of a dime if it suits them. This new program is way too one sided. Don't let Disney rip us off with grossly understaffed and dirty parks without entertainment. Demand more for your money.
            This, x 10.
            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

            - Walt Disney

            "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

            "It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

              This, x 10.
              Geeee
              remember how concern in the 80's
              Reliance Group Holdings launched a hostile takeover bid for Walt Disney Productions...?.....

              Well the a takeover did take place slowly by other's ,with in the company....LOL
              This is a New Disney-Not Better- again going get worst - IMO
              I X your 10 X 2.
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

              Comment


              • #8
                The App appears to have other features, such as building a itinerary for your visit, forecasting wait times & showtimes, and travel directions to attractions.

                I can't help but wonder if Robin Williams's family is happy about the program's name, though. Just yesterday was the 7th anniversary of Williams's death. Disney notoriously sabotaged their relationship with Williams during the Aladdin film series, by ignoring his request of keeping the promotion of the Genie to a miminal*. And once again, the Genie is being marketed again for Disney's gain.


                *Williams wanted too avoid his movies from being competed against each other. Disney ignored his request repeatedly and heavily marketed his involvement in Aladdin.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I’m still waiting to see pricing on this new fastpass experience. As I’ve said in another post for me it will be the final straw. Looking at $100 plus dollars per day per family member on five day park hopper with what additional cost now? I could stomach maxpass, but dropping up to $40 dollars for my family per ride for a fastpass to overcome unmanageable crowds? I don’t feel like spending $1000 a day on tickets and something that was free.

                  My other concern with “Genie” is how much free reign it will have. I’m guessing it’s “curated” choices will be made based on park usage, subtly directing you to underutilized experiences to spread out the crowds, will the interface make it infuriatingly difficult for you to override these curated choices? Will I easily be able to click and select a fastpass for a ride I want, or a restaurant reservation? OR will I need to work my way through a needlessly complicated mess of choices the app keeps making for me? I don’t want that kind of hassle on vacation....I don’t give two mickeys about how long I’d need to wait in line for a dole whip or what time I may be able to snag a fastpass for haunted mansion even if it’s right near the end of the night; if I want to do those things on MY vacation I want the option to do so I don’t care what Chapek says and if that’s something that’s gone so will my money, pretty simple.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If they want 'pay per ride' why don't they just bring back the ticket books and do away with all the hype-nonsense?

                    I can't see myself paying for this, other than for a ride I've never ridden before and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same. And I don't think they're going to make as much money off it as they think they are. I don't know how true it is but many people (here & other Disney forums) insist that FP increases wait times. So I'm wondering if perhaps part of the reasoning behind this is to affect wait times by restricting the FP line to paying customers.

                    It'll be interesting to watch the 'roll out' for sure. But I think part of the problem is that you can never trust Disney's numbers, especially when they're trying to sell something to the public. So I have a feeling there is going to be a bit of 'fudging' on the popularity of this to create FOMO.
                    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                      If they want 'pay per ride' why don't they just bring back the ticket books and do away with all the hype-nonsense?

                      I can't see myself paying for this, other than for a ride I've never ridden before and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same. And I don't think they're going to make as much money off it as they think they are. I don't know how true it is but many people (here & other Disney forums) insist that FP increases wait times. So I'm wondering if perhaps part of the reasoning behind this is to affect wait times by restricting the FP line to paying customers.

                      It'll be interesting to watch the 'roll out' for sure. But I think part of the problem is that you can never trust Disney's numbers, especially when they're trying to sell something to the public. So I have a feeling there is going to be a bit of 'fudging' on the popularity of this to create FOMO.
                      I agree. It’s funny, because after the Magic Key program was announced, Disney sent us yet another survey. They were clever in that nowhere could you free type your response. My belief is people would have taken the time to criticize having their old pass removed and brought back. The survey only wanted to know which level you were excited about and your top three favorite aspects of the pass. 🙄 It’s beginning to feel like an echo chamber so they can say everyone is so hyped for “x” program/offering/etc to justify what they want to do.

                      The public response to the new paid Fastpass/Standby Fastpass (boarding group) program in Paris has not gone over well from what I’ve read on Twitter and other places. The wait times apparently shot up to three times the initial wait because of the new Standby system. What I read was people were afraid that they would miss their reservation time so they all stuck around. It’s my understanding that Europeans are very much against this kind of behavior (feeling rushed on holiday/paying more for something that should just be standard) and have a real chance at putting a stop to it.

                      I think Disney has the numbers and capacity information for Disneyland, and when this eventually comes to the park I look for it to be as close to capacity as they can make it without having people leave. I read on a different site that there is concern in Florida that Disney is low key trying to push people for all these up charges (ie. the Boo Bash) by intentionally offering the average day guest a lackluster experience so they feel like they have to pay for all of this to have a more optimal experience. I really hope they figure it out quick that Disneyland is unique and needs to be looked at as an independent entity (I know, I’m dreaming).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Goldendreamer View Post
                        I agree. It’s funny, because after the Magic Key program was announced, Disney sent us yet another survey. They were clever in that nowhere could you free type your response. My belief is people would have taken the time to criticize having their old pass removed and brought back. The survey only wanted to know which level you were excited about and your top three favorite aspects of the pass. 🙄 It’s beginning to feel like an echo chamber so they can say everyone is so hyped for “x” program/offering/etc to justify what they want to do....
                        Exactly. For years, DL fans have commented that Disney's in-park and mailed surveys seem designed to tell management what it wants to hear.



                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                        designed to appeal to everyone."

                        - Walt Disney

                        "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                        - Michael Eisner

                        "It's very symbiotic."
                        - Bob Chapek

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Free fast pass is one thing that made Disney special and different than the other parks. With this, and Avenger's Campus disappointment it appears Disney is trying to look just like Universal Studios.
                          Soon no paper tickets to keep as a souvenir, no maps, no birthday buttons, etc.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The more I read, the less I want to return and likely won't. It is so convoluted now and Disney's attempt to make things "easier for the guest" is sooooo contrived it is sickening. It is plain to see all they are doing is data mining for their benefit, not yours. All while charging more, and providing less. I really wish it wasn't like this, I WANT to believe in the magic that once made my trips so fun and memorable, but those days are loooooong gone. I'm afraid that all of this recent Chapek'ing of the DLR will be too hard to get out of my mind when/if I ever decide to visit the parks. Which is a major bummer because I want to make some great memories there with my young kids...and I know they won't have any idea of how crappy the park is currently being managed, err, mismanaged these days.
                            Big Thunder Ranch > Galaxys Edge

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If it is hitting WDW then I put it at an 80% likelihood it is coming to DLR. As long as they price it ridiculously so it keeps those using it to a minimum I have no problem, but if it is used like FP/MP then that would be a negative to the experience as removing line cutting options created a much better experience with a reduction in line lengths overall and removes a point of divisiveness from the parks. Even as a multi year Max pass owner I would have preferred the program be gone for good.
                              Last edited by Starcade; 08-13-2021, 10:51 AM.
                              Disneyland Fan since the 70's

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Random thought. .
                                With all of the policies/procedures/cut backs/price increases for a diminished product/etc., (that, I guess, are part of the vaunted "enhancing the guest experience") I wonder if any of the current leadership has bothered to pick up a book that chronicles the life of Walt Disney. That chronicles the history of the WDC. That chronicles the history of the park(s); especially the early years.
                                They just might discover some valuable information to guide them.
                                Wishful thinking, I suppose.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by allretired View Post
                                  Random thought. .
                                  With all of the policies/procedures/cut backs/price increases for a diminished product/etc., (that, I guess, are part of the vaunted "enhancing the guest experience") I wonder if any of the current leadership has bothered to pick up a book that chronicles the life of Walt Disney. That chronicles the history of the WDC. That chronicles the history of the park(s); especially the early years.
                                  They just might discover some valuable information to guide them.
                                  Wishful thinking, I suppose.
                                  Shortly after the advent of Eisner, the buzz at Burbank was that one of the quickest ways down the management ladder was to quote Walt.

                                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

                                  - Walt Disney

                                  "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

                                  "It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by allretired View Post
                                    Random thought. .
                                    With all of the policies/procedures/cut backs/price increases for a diminished product/etc., (that, I guess, are part of the vaunted "enhancing the guest experience") I wonder if any of the current leadership has bothered to pick up a book that chronicles the life of Walt Disney. That chronicles the history of the WDC. That chronicles the history of the park(s); especially the early years.
                                    They just might discover some valuable information to guide them.
                                    Wishful thinking, I suppose.
                                    Disney War should really be required reading with a test for anyone taking an upper management position at the company. Every time I hear new information it makes me think of the different situations that the company dealt with. It serves as a wonderful reference guide so they wouldn’t even have to read the entire book if they didn’t want to.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                                      Shortly after the advent of Eisner, the buzz at Burbank was that one of the quickest ways down the management ladder was to quote Walt.
                                      This. If anyone thinks that Disney as a corporation is anything different than Coca Cola, Microsoft, or Boeing they are sorely mistaken. There is nothing to do with Walt beyond marketing now, it’s a business run like any other massive business in America. The very fact Chapek referred to guests in purely mechanical terms citing “yield” etc should tell you everything you need to know.

                                      In fact, the massive rotation at the upper management level in the parks is in part to prevent the creation of another “Walt” having a personality that could take some ownership over a park and therefore be difficult to remove or become bigger than the corporate machine.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post
                                        This. If anyone thinks that Disney as a corporation is anything different than Coca Cola, Microsoft, or Boeing they are sorely mistaken. There is nothing to do with Walt beyond marketing now, it’s a business run like any other massive business in America. The very fact Chapek referred to guests in purely mechanical terms citing “yield” etc should tell you everything you need to know.

                                        In fact, the massive rotation at the upper management level in the parks is in part to prevent the creation of another “Walt” having a personality that could take some ownership over a park and therefore be difficult to remove or become bigger than the corporate machine.
                                        And even worse, could be liked "too much" by the Cast (e.g. Matt Ouimet).


                                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                        designed to appeal to everyone."

                                        - Walt Disney

                                        "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                        - Michael Eisner

                                        "It's very symbiotic."
                                        - Bob Chapek

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X