Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland increasing to full capacity

Disneyland is increasing to full capacity. I thought they already did. What does this mean for reservation system?
    https://ktla.com/news/local-news/dis...d-theme-parks/
    Last edited by Cali-Gal; 08-13-2021, 07:51 AM.

LOL....means a complete cluster F awaits everyone

Comment

I don't think this means what everyone thinks it means.

What they are trying to say is that DL and WDW are increasing staff to pre-COVID levels. This should mean that all the restaurants and shops are able to reopen, and all attractions can operate at full capacity. It might also mean that we get the trams back, but who knows? Chapek is not the one who has to walk from M&F to the park, so why does he care? It might also mean that we get parades and not cavalcades.

People mistakenly believe that the capacity limits set when DL opened in April are still in place. This is not true. Whatever attendance limit DL has set hasn't been reached in a week or two (or maybe longer). This means that anyone willing to buy a ticket (usually a Park Hopper) can enter the parks. When this is the case it makes no difference what arbitrary attendance cap DL chose. The only factor determining attendance is the price of admission.

I really wish more people would understand this. A popular vlogger recently said that DL was only operating at slightly higher capacity than when it opened. His sources are leading him astray, as this information is 100 percent wrong.

If you don't believe me check the reservation availability for today. You can buy any type of ticket and get in to either park. When this is the case, whatever attendance cap Disney set is meaningless. Attendance is now being set by the number of people willing to buy tickets for a given day. The only exception to this in the near future is the Sunday before Labor Day. As of right now, Disney has reached its limit for 1 day reservations for DCA on that day.

People also think that the reservation requirement is going to kill the Magic Key program. Once again, this information is not true. The Flex Pass was popular, which is why reservations are a requirement for the Magic Keys.

Finally, I want to remind those that think the Magic Key program will mean that insane crowd levels will return. That's just not going to happen. There is a crowd level at which guest spend starts to decrease. Once again, I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. The reservation system will allow Disney to push right up against this attendance level without going over. I agree that we won't see an off season again, but the insane pre-COVID crowds are not going to return.

Disney is implementing the Magic Key because it will generate a tremendous amount of recurring monthly revenue. It does NOT mean that guests will actually be able to go to the park when they want to. It's pretty sinister, but then what does anyone expect from Chapek and Co?

Comment

Yea reservations are wide open because Disney really screwed a lot folks over and were sick and tired of excepting excuses about why they do dumb crap, because its Disney! Until they can figure out how "we" (the consumer) can enjoy these parks again w/o a stupid smart phone and apps to essentially OCD "plan out my entire damn day"...well, not coming back.
        When they start treating their high paying customers and employee's with some dignity then I'll come back...until then. Im having a great time counting the thousands of dollars I use to throw away going to DL and DCA....but enjoy

Comment

The limited staffing levels (free market needs to take hold here and allow wages to meet the demand unless the DLR union is holding them back), make me hesitant to believe much will change for 90 days. SO many things are either non-existent or limited right now. They SIMPLY do NOT have the staff to go full-capacity and with potential Newsome restrictions looming, they've been hesitant to ramp just to lay people off.
          Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!! ~~|~~ Katherine's 11th Birthday Dapper Day trip with Club 33 ~~|~~ Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~~|~~ My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report ~~|~~ Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report ~~|~~ World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party ~~|~~ My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club ~~|~~ My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2011 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

With waits over an hour it seems more capacity will just mean longer lines, or more boarding passes so you can't ride what you want potentially. After 8/25 it will be massively packed again. Magic Key or AP, whatever they want to call it, will just pack the parks. Iger said it late last year and again earlier this year. Reservations could be used to slow the crowds, but at the risk of complaints so it's probably more a reason to know when to bring in more part time cast. Saves them money.
            AP's spend a ton of money on all those buckets and spirit jerseys and headbands and Disney knows it. Summer showed Disney that all locals don't want to pay full price for less of an experience and tourists are not packing the parks and local hotels after August.
            It appears I won't be going there for my birthday in September after all. Just too many people and less to do than back in 2018 when I was there last.

Comment

"If you don't believe me check the reservation availability for today. You can buy any type of ticket and get in to either park."

Good point PhotoMatt. I did check availability this week and it was wide open through October. I also got an email from Disney Destinations reminding me that hotels are 25% off which shows they are not booked solid.

To all MiceChatters who were considering joining the Magic Key program, will the news that the park is going back to full capacity, which to be honest was always a madhouse, affect whether or not you will now purchase a Magic Key? My family is still on the fence about it. We have no interest in the incentive gifts that Disney is offering to Charter Members (now, if Disney offered a monthly drawing for Charter Member Magic Key holders to be able to win a lunch or dinner at Club 33, I would definitely buy a Magic Key on August 25th),

Comment

I mean, I thought they were at a high capacity when they first opened. It always seemed to be more crowded than that of 30% capacity they were claiming they had implemented . I think we should all be mentally and physically prepared for Disneyland to open the flood gates at any moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Cali-Gal View Post
                  [I]
                  Good point PhotoMatt. I did check availability this week and it was wide open through October. I also got an email from Disney Destinations reminding me that hotels are 25% off which shows they are not booked solid.
                  Yeah, why pay full price to have to carry your own bags, get next to zero amenities, no housekeeping, and one of the largest perks of staying onsite is not available (EMH).
                  Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!! ~~|~~ Katherine's 11th Birthday Dapper Day trip with Club 33 ~~|~~ Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~~|~~ My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report ~~|~~ Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report ~~|~~ World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party ~~|~~ My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club ~~|~~ My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2011 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

I have never been under the spell that the parks would not be returning to fully crowded and the launch or MK is proof that is DTA's intention. The articles and reports taking about the share holders meeting can sometimes get easily miss quoted. I had to read several before I realized what they meant was what PhotoMatt is saying, in that they are going to try and staff up to pre-covid levels since they are now planning on pre-covid levels of guest volume.
                    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                      I have never been under the spell that the parks would not be returning to fully crowded and the launch or MK is proof that is DTA's intention. The articles and reports taking about the share holders meeting can sometimes get easily miss quoted. I had to read several before I realized what they meant was what PhotoMatt is saying, in that they are going to try and staff up to pre-covid levels since they are now planning on pre-covid levels of guest volume.
                      But this goes against Josh's assertion that they will keep staffing levels at 50%?

Regardless, a lot of what is coming out is not lining up / making sense. Upon reading the direct quotes, it seems clear that they mean park availability. I don't know how that can be interpreted differently. If it's the latter, maybe they've realized their wrongs and they're on the path to correcting themselves, but I have my doubts.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

But this goes against Josh's assertion that they will keep staffing levels at 50%?

Regardless, a lot of what is coming out is not lining up / making sense. Upon reading the direct quotes, it seems clear that they mean park availability. I don't know how that can be interpreted differently. If it's the latter, maybe they've realized their wrongs and they're on the path to correcting themselves, but I have my doubts.
                        Park availability is already beyond what demand is. I think they know the MK was their nuclear option and the crowds will be hitting precovid levels. Because of this they know they will have to staff up to meet demand problem is they will be behind the wave. They also do not want to say directly “we are about to diminish our profit by increasing our staffing expenditure” they love the spin.
                        Last edited by Starcade; 08-13-2021, 04:05 PM.
                        Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by whoever View Post

Yeah, why pay full price to have to carry your own bags, get next to zero amenities, no housekeeping, and one of the largest perks of staying onsite is not available (EMH).
                          Exactly. I didn't mind paying to stay on-property, knowing that I got Magic Morning and a chance to conveniently walk over to Steakhouse 55. I also didn't mind paying for a Signature-Plus AP when it included Max Pass and Photo Pass. But I'm reluctant to pay full price for what is being offered today.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland67 View Post

Exactly. I didn't mind paying to stay on-property, knowing that I got Magic Morning and a chance to conveniently walk over to Steakhouse 55. I also didn't mind paying for a Signature-Plus AP when it included Max Pass and Photo Pass. But I'm reluctant to pay full price for what is being offered today.
                            The Bell service workers at the Grand probably made more per hour than I did. I always gave them $30 for 5-10 minutes of work. That's $500k/yr if they worked a solid 40

Comment

I think PhotoMatt is right also.........they (Disney)
                              trying and staff up to pre-covid levels since they are now planning on pre-covid levels of guest volume.

The key word is Trying
                              Got to love the Mouse? on the wage Disney wants to pay .
                              IMO

Note:
                              We have to see.......Knowing Chapek, He have his own concepts,
                              when comes to crowds and $ MONEY $.
                              Last edited by Eagleman; 08-13-2021, 06:07 PM.
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Park availability is already beyond what demand is. I think they know the MK was their nuclear option and the crowds will be hitting precovid levels. Because of this they know they will have to staff up to meet demand problem is they will be behind the wave. They also do not want to say directly “we are about to diminish our profit by increasing our staffing expenditure” they love the spin.
                                This is a sensible take, then. Shall wait and see how Disney brings up staffing to pre-COVID levels. I think they might have to get creative as some other businesses have.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

This is a sensible take, then. Shall wait and see how Disney brings up staffing to pre-COVID levels. I think they might have to get creative as some other businesses have.
                                  YEP...I have to agree.....
                                  I seeing hiring signs all around town........Business having hard time finding people
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
                                    I don't think this means what everyone thinks it means.
                                    Once again, I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. The reservation system will allow Disney to push right up against this attendance level without going over. I agree that we won't see an off season again, but the insane pre-COVID crowds are not going to return.
                                    Sensationalism sells clicks. I've been saying what you've been saying all along - people are too fixated on "a number" when they don't actually understand what "the number" actually means.

Comment

Fill the Parks up for the NEW FAST PASS !
                                      $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
                                      IMO
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X