Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I learned something new...

Today I learned that Disneyland, and DCA, are not connected to the Anaheim sewer system. I could not believe this could possibly be true, but I heard it from DL CM's who work at night and have to deal with the consequences of the unpleasantness when the tanks are pumped out.

DL is 66 years old and they never bothered to upgrade. DCA was built in the late 90s and they were so cheap that they didn't connect DCA to the sewer system then. I still can't believe this is true, but it is.

Seriously...

Disneyland and DCA use septic tanks...in the middle of Anaheim, California...in 2021 (not 1821).

Mind boggling.

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
    Today I learned that Disneyland, and DCA, are not connected to the Anaheim sewer system. I could not believe this could possibly be true, but I heard it from DL CM's who work at night and have to deal with the consequences of the unpleasantness when the tanks are pumped out.

DL is 66 years old and they never bothered to upgrade. DCA was built in the late 90s and they were so cheap that they didn't connect DCA to the sewer system then. I still can't believe this is true, but it is.

Seriously...

Disneyland and DCA use septic tanks...in the middle of Anaheim, California...in 2021 (not 1821).

Mind boggling.
    """DANG""""not connected to the Anaheim sewer system,((((()))))))
    UN- REAL ???????? smell.......too!
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I don't want that Special Bathroom "Magic Key Pass"
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Ohhhh...so that's why it smells like a bromine fart in a few places in the resort.
        Last edited by Spongeocto4; 08-13-2021, 08:21 PM. Reason: Mixed up bromine & brodine

Comment

I'm not sure the septic tank story is true. Here's the sewage section from City/DL proposed upgrade. From what I can tell, it's seems a given that the county provides sewage service. This all could be a replacement for septic tanks. They talk about "existing facilities that will be abandoned".

The Disneyland Resort Specific Plan Section 4.0: Public Facilities Plan (September 3, 2015)

4.7 Sanitary Sewer • . Treatment of wastewater will be provided by the County Sanitation District of Orange County (CSDOC), which operates Sanitation District Treatment Plant Number 1 in Fountain Valley. This facility will eventually receive wastewater generated by The Disneyland Resort. The currently programmed expansion of this facility will be able to accommodate development of The Disneyland Resort. In addition, the CSDOC may construct one or more facilities in the region that would eventually provide reclaimed water for landscape irrigation purposes.

The Disneyland Resort Specific Plan Section 4.0: Public Facilities Plan Page 4-33 date development of The Disneyland Resort. In addition, the CSDOC may construct one or more facilities in the region that would eventually provide reclaimed water for landscape irrigation purposes. Average additional daily sewage generation at build-out is expected to be 1.77 million gallons per day, and daily peak flows are estimated to be 3.54 million gallons per day. These figures incorporate reduction in use due to existing facilities that will be abandoned. Existing sewers on surrounding streets generally carry sewage south and west. CSDOC has completed its trunk sewer construction program within The Anaheim Resort and their lines are now in operation. The District’s improvements serve The Disneyland Resort, as well as other developments in the City. Several of the CSDOC new trunk sewers are outside the Specific Plan area. Some area-wide sewer projects proposed to alleviate local sewer main deficiencies are listed below: • Construction of a City replacement or parallel line to the existing 24-inch sewer main in Katella Avenue from the existing 27-inch District trunk sewer line at Walnut Street or Ninth Street to Harbor Boulevard; and, • Construction of a City replacement or parallel line to the existing 15-inch sewer main in Harbor Boulevard from Katella Avenue to Manchester Avenue. New sewer lines to be constructed or relocated specifically for The Disneyland Resort include the following: • Construction/reconstruction of the existing pipelines in West Street/Disneyland Drive when the street is widened (Phase II); • Reconstruction of the existing 10-inch diameter line in Winston Road from The Disneyland Resort property line to West Street/Disneyland Drive with a 12-inch line (Phase II); and, • Construction of a 15- to 21-inch pipeline in Cerritos Avenue between West Street/Disneyland Drive and Walnut Street when the existing street is abandoned and relocated (Phase II). Exhibit 4.7a, ‘Sewer System Improvements,’ shows the location of the proposed improvements to the sanitary sewer system in and around the Specific Plan area.

Public Facilities Plan - Anaheim.net

https://www.anaheim.net › Home › View
          Last edited by sailor310; 08-13-2021, 09:57 PM.
          Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
          Mark Twain

Comment

I find it difficult to believe that DLR is on a septic tank system. The system's capacity would have needed to be enlarged over the years as the park expanded: Huge underground tanks would have been built. There would have been large areas of construction to prepare the leach fields. Considering how closely DLR construction has been monitored by fans for the last two decades, I doubt it could have gone unnoticed -- nor would the periodic visits of fleets of tanker trucks to pump out the sludge.

And there's this:

OC Weekly 10/22/2009: Disney Praised for Wastewater Treatment in Anaheim, Spanked For It in Burbank

"Paradise Bay lagoon at California Adventure in Anaheim will soon be refilled with 16 million gallons of water that was recycled through central Orange County's Groundwater Replenishment System, which converts sewage into drinking water. Disneyland Resort won a state award last month for the project, which has already replenished the Rivers of America water at Disneyland. An Orange County Water District flack says in the post, 'It's visionary what they are doing.'"

Disneyland Public Affairs: Waste Reduction

"In 2016, the Disneyland Resort began an initiative to reduce liquid waste from unfinished beverages in onstage areas. Funnel-equipped recycling cans were developed and placed at strategic locations. The specialized recycle cans encourage guests and cast members to empty their beverage containers before disposal. Collected liquids are disposed in a sewer drain, which is sent to the Orange County Water District Groundwater Replenishment System for recycling."

Industrial Maintenance Plumber - Full Time job - The Walt Disney Company - Anaheim, CA

Technical Skills, Abilities and Experience:
            • Experience with installation, repair and maintenance work including with pumps, motors, controllers, fixtures, piping, valves, fittings, strainers, sand filters, water heaters; drinking fountains, eyewash stations, drains and sewer systems, diversion valves and lift stations
            • Experience in the demolition of existing, and/or installation of new, systems or components
            • Experience conducting preventive maintenance including the use of augers and hydrojetters to clean and clear storm drain and sewer lines
            • Experience in the start-up and operation of pumps and motors, sand filters, chemical injectors, fountains and water effects
            • Ability to follow checklists or standard operating procedures, blueprints/schematics, specifications and other technical publications associated with the design and construction/installation of systems and equipment

Cannon Consulting Corporation: Disneyland California Projects

Grand Californian Hotel: "...The project included detailed grading, water, sewer and drainage design."

Downtown Disney Entertainment Center and Parking Facilities: "...Services included on-site demolition, grading, drainage, dry and wet utilities, an underground parking garage, underground 100-year storm drain detention system, and a sewer pump lift station."

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-14-2021, 12:56 AM.
            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

This is exactly the weird Disney detail that I enjoy on this discussion board! A debate about septic systems...I love it. I am not being sarcastic when I say I am going to be checking back in to see what the consensus is...

Comment

It's pretty common for large commercial entities to have their own treatment/pre-treatment facilities. So it wouldn't surprise me if DLR has, not a 'complete' septic system as we think of it, but holding tanks and a sewage plant that pre-treats the wastewater before it is sent into the county sewage lines for final treatment before being recycled or sent to a public waterway/ocean.

nDH is a retired WWTP operator. I know more about WW plants than I really need to, but it can be pretty interesting! As 'the guys' used to say 'turning wastewater into your next cup of coffee'.
                "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

While definitely kind of gross, I think it’s actually not that surprising. Disney Properties have always behaved mostly like their own cities. As long as they have it under control I think it seems to make sense. Anyone know if they’ve ever had issues?
                  You know, I have the strangest feeling that I've seen that ship before. A long time ago, when I was very young. ―George Darling
                  It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell. ― Walt Disney

Comment

That explains the backed up septic tank smell near the bathroom close to the Tiki Room.

Comment

And wafting in on the breeze from past threads...

The Not So Good Smells Of Disneyland

Fixing the odor in the Midway Mania queue...

Disneyland Resort Smells!

Why the Vomit Smell Near the Churro Carts?

Sewage Smell At Disneyland

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

This thread has me like...

Click image for larger version

Name:	oprah.jpeg
Views:	868
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	8645099

Comment

While we're at it...The area in front of the restrooms at the exit of Space Mountain often smells badly of sewage.
                          Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Gross....I know and "AMAZING"
                            I Learn something new
                            about commercial entities to have their own treatment/pre-treatment facilities!

But as recycled water goes
                            Orange County's has been using - grey water ,for many years now.....
                            So it not a real surprise.......That Disney is keeping there own .

That why I don't like water here in O.C.

Now won't be surprise when smell something funny at the resort...........
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by sailor310 View Post
                              While we're at it...The area in front of the restrooms at the exit of Space Mountain often smells badly of sewage.
                              I too have smelled this.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                                It's pretty common for large commercial entities to have their own treatment/pre-treatment facilities. So it wouldn't surprise me if DLR has, not a 'complete' septic system as we think of it, but holding tanks and a sewage plant that pre-treats the wastewater before it is sent into the county sewage lines for final treatment before being recycled or sent to a public waterway/ocean.

nDH is a retired WWTP operator. I know more about WW plants than I really need to, but it can be pretty interesting! As 'the guys' used to say 'turning wastewater into your next cup of coffee'.
                                Your up to date
                                In fact Orange County use to
                                get grey water from other Country's as well.........
                                But Because of the water shortage - the other country's are now keeping there own !
                                LOL
                                That why some day my coffee can be bad....other's days good !
                                Last edited by Eagleman; 08-14-2021, 04:28 PM.
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Not a septic tank...that just likely means that they bypass the City Municipal Waste agency that the rest of the city uses and deals direct with the treatment plant operator which is often fed from multiple cities in a dense urban area like Anaheim.

So while it os probably true that they do not use sewer facilities directly from the City of Anaheim their crap is flowing somewhere!

...any they likely do recycle grey water on site less so as a good steward of the environment and more so cuz most waste contacts get essentially charged by the gallon for discharge.

Grey water can stank big time...ask anyone that has an RV. That is more of the smell throughout the park that guests smell..raw sewage would be even worse!

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyPilot View Post

Grey water can stank big time...ask anyone that has an RV. That is more of the smell throughout the park that guests smell..raw sewage would be even worse!

LOL
                                    This like going to school
                                    "Smell" - Grey water - Sewage - Municipal Waste -101

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I seriously doubt if DL uses a septic tank, for the amount of wastewater they generate, it'd have to be huge.

Most likely they have a small SBR (Sequenced Batch Reactor) somewhere on site, maybe even underground. This would be much smaller than a septic tank and would need the sludge pumped out less often.

The water that comes out of a SBR is treated effluent and is suitable for irrigating just about anything.

What they don't use on site is likely fed into either the storm drain (generally, it's ok to discharge treated effluent into a storm drain, not always though), the city sewer or as noted a dedicated line to one of the city WWTPs (Waste Water Treatment Plant....also known as a sewer plant).

I doubt if there is a drainfield on site, it'd need to be a couple of acres in size even with pourous soil.

The smell prevalent in spots is most likely a result of improperly installed sewage lines. They need to be graded at 1/8" to 1/4" per foot slope. If it's too shallow, the water will drain away from the solids and it'll smell bad. If it's too steep, the water will outrun the solids and again, it'll smell bad.

One solution to an improperly graded sewer line is to have water (treated effluent is ok) continuously flowing in the pipe. But that requires another line from the treatment plant to the high point of the sewer line.

One bad thing about the sewer gas smell is it contains both hydrogen sulfide and methane, both of which are flammable......and often explosive. Hydrogen sulfide is also quite poisonous while methane is not.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X