Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August 11th-13th Trip Report

Since I just got back im gonna post my thoughts and in the morning when I wake up I’ll post more

havent been to Disneyland since March of 2016
    been about five years
    i went 8-11/8-13-2021

BEFORE I BEGIN I DO NOT SUPPORT MOBILE QUEUES FOR RIDES
    I GOT ONE FOR SPIDER MAN YESTERDAY
    I HAD TO STILL WAIT AN HOUR IN LINE TO RIDE
    EVEN AFTER HAVING A MOBILE QUEUE RESERVATION

MOBILE ORDERING FOR RESTAURANTS AND RESERVATIONS THAT ISNT A PROBLEM FOR ME AS MANY RESTAURANTS DO THAT ANYWAYS

RESERVATIONS FOR THE PARK
    IDK HOW I FEEL
    I SEE THE PROS
    YOU MANAGE THE CROWDS

I SEE THE CONS
    THIS IS AMERICA I SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET UP AND GO ANYWHERE WHENEVER I WANT

HOW I FEEL
    INDIFFERENT
    I LIKED HOW THE CROWDS WERE MANAGEABLE
    I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO GO TO DISNEYLAND WHENEVER I FEEL LIKE

On the first day, we went through security at Pixar parking lot. That didn’t bother me so much, it was the walking. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, and it really was put on full display this week for me. The most aggravating part of the journey for me this week was the walk from the parking structure to Disneyland. I missed the trams more than anything and the blisters on my feet can prove it. The first day I went, I never had been to Disneyland before the park opened, I waited in Tomorrowland and walked to Space Mountain and it was nearly a walk on. Then I went to Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear, Indiana Jones, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Han Solo..
    after Han Solo I went to McDonald’s across the street and luckily at 11:59 I was able to secure the ROTR boarding pass. The first day I was a Disneyland I had my mind set on getting on the new ride and for the first few hours I was just praying to the Lord to be able to ride. When I got the boarding pass I felt blessed beyond belief.
    After we are, and drove back to the park.. it was time to ride Star Wars ROTR. I walked around galaxy’s edge before the ride, entering through fantasyland. I liked how hidden the land was, how it didn’t obscure what is regular from Disneyland. But walking into the village, there just wasn’t any motion. Yeah people were walking but at the same time the music wasn’t loud and full of vibrancy. There wasn’t droids, there weren’t Jedi, there weren’t a lot of storm troopers or interaction from anyone. There isn’t alot of character in the land, it feels bland in alot of ways. The full Star Wars experience isn’t really felt until you walk into the queue for ROTR. I enjoyed seeing the rebel base and the flight suits and the armory and weaponry. It made me feel the way Indiana Jones queue does with how immersive it is. As soon as you get into the BB-8 briefing room it feels like you are experiencing a briefing as any person in the movies would. It felt real, and it felt authentic. The elevator part with Captain Beck, I enjoyed that part too, I enjoyed how you felt like you’re in the space cruiser, how you’re involved in the scene. Then when they open the doors to the stormtroopers… I was mind blown. I haven’t been smiling lately in my life but just seeing how real it felt, like I was actually in a Star Destroyer. How I felt like the stormtroopers actually were real. How the cast members made you feel as though you are a prisoner awaiting going to your cell. How you have to stand up straight and look at them and not lean against anything. When they put you in the holding cell and the doors open and the rebels help you escape I like the effect with the door opening. As soon as you get into the vehicle for the ride however, the experience that you pay 100’s of dollars for just to visit. Was well worth it just from the starting scene. The AT-AT room was so badass, I didn’t realize at first that you were gonna be on an elevator sort of experience but that was new to me and caught me off guard. I liked when Kylo Ren had his lightsaber come through the ceiling, I also liked how he used the force when he pushed the vehicles back. The best part is when he pushes the vehicles towards him, and the Star destroyer’s window breaks the wind comes through and the sensation of deep space is felt being vacuumed. Climaxing into the getaway scene where you fly back to camp, that is the most exhilarating part of the experience and my favorite part. That ride makes the entire land what it is, and it is an extraordinary ride I have no complaints about bar none my all time favorite ride I think they knocked it out of the ballpark and it was well worth the money I spent to go to Disneyland. After that, if any ride could give ROTR a run for its money I went to DCA cause I had park hopper and went to GOTG. I enjoyed the rocket raccoon scene the animatronic is entirely realistic. What I enjoyed most about the ride is how different it is from TOT. Going up and down seeing the different scenes from the ride, the randomization of going up and down. TOT never did that, and TOT wasn’t as long as GOTG. I felt like the ride was realistic as it could be and captured the essence of the franchise to the T. I really enjoyed that ride at DCA. Even after not believing I would. After that I went on Incredicoaster, and was “incredibly.” Impressed with the experience. I enjoyed how the ride had a story compared to Cali screaming which had no story. I enjoyed the mini scenes in the tunnels, especially the one where Jack Jack turns into fire and violet uses the force field after you go on the loop. That’s my favorite part.
    DCA to me, it has no theme anymore. The beginning of the park.. buena vista and grizzly peak are DCA to me. All else is just random lands that do not relate to California. Cars land is a great land, the greatest land at the entire resort. The most cohesive and immersive land that Disney ever built. Avengers campus looks like it was built rather quickly and there is just nothing to do. From one angle in the land you can see everything it has to offer which isn’t much. I believe they need to tear down Hollywood land and make it all avengers campus, Hollywood land has no meaning and no rides. Fantasyland, needs a serious upgrade. Tear down the old motorboat lagoon and make a ride there. Tomorrowland, is in a sad sad state. Riding autopia seeing the tracks for old rocket rods, seeing the old color scheme for rocket rods still having the paint. Man… Disney has fallen far from where it once stood.

1. I was wrong about Guardians of the Galaxy (Tower of terror was my favorite ride at DCA, now GOTG takes that spot) more details in the morning
    2. Avengers Campus ain’t worth the time or the money
    (more opinion in the morning)
    3. Splash Mountain got me real wet, so much so I didn’t ride it everyday. (More opinion in the morning)
    4. I hate mobile order, queue. Etc
    since I don’t live in Anaheim, and I was only there for three days. Luckily I got to ride Star Wars ROTR all three days. 7 Am Wednesday morning the queue was full for Star Wars, yet at 12 I got the access. Imagine I never got the access what would have been the outcome?
    5. Tomorrowland needs a makeover more than ever (more details in the morning)
    6. The energy of the staff was very pissy (the abrasive attitudes most cast members displayed would have worked well as a first order trooper guiding you to your jail cell in the Star Wars ride. But the rest of the resorts cast felt as though they all received training from Kylo Ren himself. There was no magic from the staff, they didn’t create an environment that made me feel like I’m not in the real world.
    7. The Incredicoaster is a great replacement for Cali screamin’ and I was a huge fan to boot
    8. Galaxy’s edge isn’t much exciting, not too much to do. Not a lot of action going on, not as immersive as I would have hoped. Not enough droids, not enough motion, not enough movement, not enough action. I enjoyed ROTR but was sorely disappointed by nearly everything else the land had to offer. Drinks are expensive at Ogas cantina and it isn’t even that big. There’s not a lot of “atmosphere.” For it being a land beyond the atmospheres of earth. Not a lot of emotion or heart in the land.
    9. Soarin Over California is a greater film presentation even 20 years later compared to soarin over the world.
    10. Fantasyland needs to receive an upgrade
    (more opinion in the morning)
    Last edited by DaHatTrick; 08-14-2021, 10:48 AM.

Looking forward to reading the rest of your trip report!

6. The energy of the staff was very pissy (the abrasive attitudes most cast members displayed would have worked well as a first order trooper guiding you to your jail cell in the Star Wars ride. But the rest of the resorts cast felt as though they all received training from Kylo Ren himself. There was no magic from the staff, they didn’t create an environment that made me feel like I’m not in the real world.
    This is just my opinion, but when employees are not paid a good wage (I don't think the wages for CM's are good), they just don't put love or pride into their work . If Disney paid salaries that showed respect for their employees, they would get more people applying for jobs (no staff shortages), happy employees, and happy customers. Again, just my thoughts. Such a shame that the CM's you dealt with were "pissy". Being at Disneyland is fun but interacting with happy, helpful CM's really makes the visit shine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cali-Gal View Post
      Looking forward to reading the rest of your trip report!

This is just my opinion, but when employees are not paid a good wage (I don't think the wages for CM's are good), they just don't put love or pride into their work . If Disney paid salaries that showed respect for their employees, they would get more people applying for jobs (no staff shortages), happy employees, and happy customers. Again, just my thoughts. Such a shame that the CM's you dealt with were "pissy". Being at Disneyland is fun but interacting with happy, helpful CM's really makes the visit shine.

I wholeheartedly agree that the Cast Members are an important part of the Disneyland Experience and their empathy, humanity and compassion is one of the many reasons I enjoy visiting. Just this trip you can see though that the disputes with wages is in full effect you can see it In the body language. Hopefully they can afford to pay their workers living wages.

Comment

Some of the cast attitude may be related to the covered up covid outbreak. People need their jobs and they're taking massive risks to their health for a terrible wage.

I agree with your all of your other comments DaHatTrick, except for the mobile order. I'm a big fan and like being able to say "i'm gonna eat this in 20 min, i don't want to wait in line, and just have it ready for me by the time I get from, say Splash Mountain, to Jolly Holiday. Capacity for ordering just needs to grow so that more times are available.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
        Working...
        X