Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enough is enough.

The Walt Disney Corporation is trying to take advantage of our love for Disneyland and it's time we all take a step back and reevaluate our relationship with Disney. Right now Disney is planning on jerking us around and ripping us off for years to come. And make no mistake about it, this is just the beginning.

But the good news is we can change this for the better. We went without Disney for over a year so we can easily take a step back for a couple of months to get our parks back the way they were before Chapek ruins them with his shake down schemes.

All we have to do is stop going completely for a few months and Chapek will give in or get fired. It really is that simple. Bob Igor had zero confidence in him and I'm sure members of Disney's board must be concerned and have him on a short leash as well. This latest Disney quarterly report was bad in Wall Street's view. No cash dividend is bad news for institutional investors and they will lose their patience if Disney reports another bad quarter. All the talk about Disney increasing their profits was just PR hype. Chapek failed to deliver the goods last quarter and if we stop going to the parks we will give Chapek another bad quarter and show Wall Street what all of us already know. Chapek is completely clueless and is unfit to run the Walt Disney Corporation.

So if you dislike the recent changes all you have to do is wait this guy out. It won't be a long wait either. And if you are on the fence about things, don't worry, it will get worse and worse if Chapek is allowed to stay and screw the parks up even more. We are all here because we love Disneyland. Certainly we all have different views on things but we are united with our love for the park Walt built. Please take a step back now for a couple of months. Let your wallet do the talking for you. A couple of months away from the parks now will cause long-term positive changes at the parks. Demand more for your money. Don't pay top dollar for a second rate experience. Don't pay extra for what we use to get for free. Don't get RIPPED OFF by Disney.

They pretty much have lost me. I was looking forward to taking both of my daughters there, when they are old enough, but I don't know if that will ever happen. As long as Chapek is in-charge, I will avoid the parks.

Comment

I used to drop about $6k/yr on DL.

I'm going to Oogie Boogie Bash in October. That will be the first time since the pandemic that I attend a Disney park. I was going to purchase whatever AP they came out with, but after this Genie business, I'm done.

I'm gonna take an extended break from the parks. I'll follow along on here to see how it's going, but I think we're about to sink into a pretty dark place at Disneyland.

Comment

The problem is that there will always be people to plug the holes created by 'deserters'. And there will never be enough deserters to create enough dip in profits to make TPTB even blink, let alone flinch. Add to that those who have the ready cash or will remortgage their homes gladly to meet the costs of a 'primo' Disney trip. No, unfortunately we've been here before with other changes, MP for one, doing away with APs for another. People screamed I am DONE with Disney, this is the last straw!!! And yet, here most of us still are. Maybe a few have deserted, but the rest of us (+ a few newcomers) are still here, using MP with nary a complaint (pre-Covid) and now waiting impatiently to buy our Magic Key.

We talk a good game and we really do mean it, but most of us cave after awhile and come sheepishly tip-toeing back into the fold. It's the nature of fan-dom. I'm sure each of us has a particular 'breaking point', but the chances of the vast majority reaching that breaking point over the same issue at the same time is basically nil. And Disney knows this all too well.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Have to agree. While I admit to spending probably far more than a normal person would previously at Disneyland, it's a place that brought me joy. Now, things aren't quite the same. I just feel there so much of the core of Disneyland's philosophies that are being overlooked. The complete "appification" of the Disney experience to me pulls away from all the things people will miss; the little details that make a Disney park what it is. Everyone will have a pro/con list but for me, at this moment, the con list is far longer, and seemingly growing, for the direction they're pulling the Disneyland Resort.
          I'll always hold out hope that things will change - have to hold on to some dreams, regardless of how far out they may seem.
          Just another DL fan :yea:

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
            ...Please take a step back now for a couple of months. Let your wallet do the talking for you. A couple of months away from the parks now will cause long-term positive changes at the parks. Demand more for your money. Don't pay top dollar for a second rate experience. Don't pay extra for what we use to get for free. Don't get RIPPED OFF by Disney.
            Amen, x 10!

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
              The problem is that there will always be people to plug the holes created by 'deserters'. And there will never be enough deserters to create enough dip in profits to make TPTB even blink, let alone flinch. Add to that those who have the ready cash or will remortgage their homes gladly to meet the costs of a 'primo' Disney trip. No, unfortunately we've been here before with other changes, MP for one, doing away with APs for another. People screamed I am DONE with Disney, this is the last straw!!! And yet, here most of us still are. Maybe a few have deserted, but the rest of us (+ a few newcomers) are still here, using MP with nary a complaint (pre-Covid) and now waiting impatiently to buy our Magic Key.

We talk a good game and we really do mean it, but most of us cave after awhile and come sheepishly tip-toeing back into the fold. It's the nature of fan-dom. I'm sure each of us has a particular 'breaking point', but the chances of the vast majority reaching that breaking point over the same issue at the same time is basically nil. And Disney knows this all too well.
              Yes I really mean it. In 2019 I probably dropped 10k for my family at Disneyland but none of that is going to Disney this year and next year is not looking good if this garbage keeps up. But if you are trying to convince yourself its ok to give in and spend lots of money at the parks this fall, just know your are enabling Chapek and his policies which do not in any way enhance your experience at the parks. In fact he hopes to degrade your experience at every turn and charge you double for your lesser experience. Please go to Universal and/or Knott's or anywhere else but Disney this fall if you care about the future of the parks. Demand more for your money.

Comment

I totally agree the Genie thing stinks and they are looking for more money to come in. How come people don't complain about food prices or every other thing in the park that isn't worth the price? The whole Disney experience is HIGHLY overpriced not just the Genie + thing coming. Is anyone not buying trinkets or food? I think my big complaint right now is that yes I'm going in October (booked months ago) and spending huge amounts of money to stay at the Grand etc... I can't even get a reservation at Blue Bayou or Carthay for the life of me. So not only are you going to charge me outrageous prices but I can't even eat at the places we normally go to. If you look at the menus at ANY restaurant they have like a quarter of what they normally have. I look forward to one decent meal in the park that isn't a hot dog or crappy pizza for $50. The whole thing is a rip off at this point not just Genie + or whatever they want to call the scam. I tried looking for reservations the DAY it became available to look and nothing for either! I saw ONE for Carthay and as I booked it with my card it said the system couldn't process it and failed.. I tried multiple times then it just went away.. I'm supposed to have faith in their computer savvy skills to book reservations on food, rides and tickets? Heck.. Oogie Boogie tickets were a NIGHTMARE to get (no pun). Genie is going to be a huge mess!

Comment

I told my wife this morning I can't imagine going back. I feel we really lucked out going recently and getting on ROTR after only getting the 2nd virtual queue and then having the ride go down. If we didn't get on that day I would have had the nagging feeling that I missed out, but now I can be content with my memories and not go back.

Things just feel different there now. Disney used to be the masters at making you feel like you were getting so much more than you paid for, but it doesn't feel that way anymore...

L + L = R

Comment

Great post Tarheelalum.

I think for many, especially those like myself that enjoy these boards, ‘breaking up with Disney’ is understandably hard, but also increasingly necessary.

If a person had a friend that continually chose to spend money at a restaurant where the ‘new manager’ continued to deliver an increasingly lower quality dining experience, charging more, and in so many little ways, insulting your friend, a true friend would see that as a toxic relationship and insists they don’t go back to that restaurant.

If there is any hope building a grass roots movement that would capture the public’s attention to cast a spotlight on Chapek’s failures, I think three core elements are needed:

1.) Reject Disney with your wallet: As many others have said, do your part to hurt them in the pocketbook/spreadsheet.

A simple thing I did a while back was look at any Disney expenditures I made last year in an Excel sheet and, with a column next to them, I wrote alternative spending (and in some cases savings) choice I would do instead.

2.) Reject Disney in being a promoter for them: My friends and family used to consider me the ‘Disney person’ and ask what hotels they should stay at, best parks, upcoming movies, fav restaurants, and such I would recommend. Not anymore.

At a July 4th gathering this summer a family member asked for my suggestions for a WDW trip they were thinking about in early August; I was able to talk them out of WDW and instead they took a fun family road trip together visiting some parks and historical sites (they had a great unexpected time at a fraction of the costs)

3.) Reject Disney as your primary source of entertainment joy: To me this was harder than the first two. When you invest so much in terms of time, money, and memories, it’s tough to let go. But ask yourself the hard question: Do you think Disney, and more directly Bob Chapek, really cares about your continual investment?

Like was mention earlier, lost consumers can be replaced with new consumers (holes on the boat). But lost consumers that actively detract, dissuade, and influence others from purchasing Disney goods and services has a much greater lost revenue and income effect on Disney’s bottomline.

Bob Chapek may gratuitously view us Disney fans as dollar signs.

Let’s show Bob Chapek, as long as he remains the CEO, that we are Disney consumer warning signs instead.

Comment

jaygatsby That's a really good post. I never really thought about how many customers I take with me if I quit going. A lot of friends and family just go to humor crazy DL mom.

Comment

All we have to do is stop going completely for a few months and Chapek will give in or get fired. It really is that simple. Bob Igor had zero confidence in him and I'm sure members of Disney's board must be concerned and have him on a short leash as well. This latest Disney quarterly report was bad in Wall Street's view. No cash dividend is bad news for institutional investors and they will lose their patience if Disney reports another bad quarter. All the talk about Disney increasing their profits was just PR hype. Chapek failed to deliver the goods last quarter and if we stop going to the parks we will give Chapek another bad quarter and show Wall Street what all of us already know. Chapek is completely clueless and is unfit to run the Walt Disney Corporation.
                        THIS IS A BINGO

What I have read news wise......Wall street is not happy.........
                        IMO

All Chapek have done is given Lips Service "PR" not for the fans....but to the investor .

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by skoolpsyk View Post
                          I told my wife this morning I can't imagine going back. I feel we really lucked out going recently and getting on ROTR after only getting the 2nd virtual queue and then having the ride go down. If we didn't get on that day I would have had the nagging feeling that I missed out, but now I can be content with my memories and not go back.

Things just feel different there now. Disney used to be the masters at making you feel like you were getting so much more than you paid for, but it doesn't feel that way anymore...

"Walt Disney" use to give you a Bang for your Buck.

Chapek will give no bang ,but take many Bucks $$.$$
                          Pay more for Less
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Amen, x 10!

Add another X 10 and Amen
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I agree with ya tarheelalum. The distaste for the current direction of the DLR is growing in bunches and bunches across forums, FB Groups, Reddit, etc. As someone else pointed out, the negative comments on the disneyblog page about Genie+ grossly outweigh the people that like it. I feel like this may just be the last straw for the public, and could be (really hoping) the beginning of the end for the current leadership. People are speaking out in droves about this, and I'm sure they (I know I am) are spreading the info to their peers that might not be as savvy as we are about the current ongoings of the DLR. They are fooling NO ONE with this crap, and people have had it. We can only hope that the momentum carries of people speaking/voting with their wallets and sending a message that this fleecing of guests won't be tolerated!
                              Big Thunder Ranch > Galaxys Edge

Comment

Originally posted by BigThunda View Post
                                I agree with ya tarheelalum. The distaste for the current direction of the DLR is growing in bunches and bunches across forums, FB Groups, Reddit, etc. As someone else pointed out, the negative comments on the disneyblog page about Genie+ grossly outweigh the people that like it. I feel like this may just be the last straw for the public, and could be (really hoping) the beginning of the end for the current leadership. People are speaking out in droves about this, and I'm sure they (I know I am) are spreading the info to their peers that might not be as savvy as we are about the current ongoings of the DLR. They are fooling NO ONE with this crap, and people have had it. We can only hope that the momentum carries of people speaking/voting with their wallets and sending a message that this fleecing of guests won't be tolerated!
                                Your right ........I was reading the News last night on Genie+
                                and there are many.....long time fans is really angry..........and this can be the last straw, for the public !
                                people speaking/voting with their wallets "NO to DISNEY" and that only way send the message
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I went almost a decade without Disneyland. I lived fine. I refocus on my other interest and hobbies during those times. I also worked A LOT during those times to have a saving. I was only 18 years old on my last Disney trip with no jobs prior of my Disney trips.

The long hiatus has definitely make me want to come back. I’ll likely will sometime this year. For now my current health state is really holding me back to enjoy a trip to Disneyland. I can’t walk long hours with my edema condition of my legs.

When I am better in my health state, I don’t think I spend a lot of money toward Disney anyways (no on site stays, spend little as possible inside, spend more outside of property). I rather give local outside business their fair share than Disney.

Comment

Pips Thanks. I know, it’s wild when you start to see that effect. I’ll admit it felt very weird actually talking a family member from taking their family to WDW, especially not going to AK, and making a case there were better options. I remember feeling almost Scroog-ish like ‘their children are missing rides on Everest and Flight of Passage because being a mean old uncle I talked their parents into taking them into a couple parks. I’m such a bad uncle.’

But when I saw the joy on their FB post later, I had no regrets.

When I also saw how much I spent on Disney in 2019, without posting the number (that was way too embarrassing) it was nearly 50% more than I initially estimated on the high end.

I guess as a positive, because of Chapek and his retailer battalions continued path of value destruction and yield desperation, myself and others are maybe finally getting clarity in the Disney fog and realizing there is more to explore in our ‘real’ world, rather than just Disney’s world.

Comment

Originally posted by DLR92 View Post
                                      I went almost a decade without Disneyland. I lived fine. I refocus on my other interest and hobbies during those times.
                                      I do too....
                                      Disney Garbage ,have taught me

"There to Life than Disney"

I take cheaper and better trips ,also see more of life have to share.......there many place's to go
                                      and to do..........TODAY DISNEY,I do not want , nor NEED !

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Yes I really mean it. In 2019 I probably dropped 10k for my family at Disneyland but none of that is going to Disney this year and next year is not looking good if this garbage keeps up. But if you are trying to convince yourself its ok to give in and spend lots of money at the parks this fall, just know your are enabling Chapek and his policies which do not in any way enhance your experience at the parks. In fact he hopes to degrade your experience at every turn and charge you double for your lesser experience. Please go to Universal and/or Knott's or anywhere else but Disney this fall if you care about the future of the parks. Demand more for your money.
                                        I believe you absolutely do mean it. And I applaud your intention. My only point is that there are not (and likely will never be) enough people boycotting/giving up Disney over a single issue to ever make them really sit up and take notice, let alone really 'drive' a policy reversal. If it didn't happen when they got rid of the old GAC 'FOTL' pass, and there was a HUGE nationwide outcry, boycott threats, and lawsuits, it isn't going to happen over Genie+. Disney Parks made $356 MILLION last quarter. If things continue as they are they will make roughly $1.5 BILLION in FY2022. You are planning to withhold $10K. Do you think enough people will withhold enough money to really make a big enough dent in that $1.5 billion to drive a policy change? I don't. More power to those who choose to boycott, but we need to be realistic here. I've lived long enough to see public gestures cause sweeping social changes in the '60s with civil rights and ending the war in Viet Nam, but also result in resounding defeats with the ERA in the '70s. Being realistic doesn't always mean rolling over and playing dead nor does it mean you get what you want. It can mean to make a gesture for your own satisfaction while realizing it may not have the impact one thinks it will.

The problem with the other parks you mention is that there is very little for me to do there. I have motion sickness so a great number, if not the majority, of rides are 'off limits'. Just as you will not pay for a 'diminished experience' at DL, why would I pay for a diminished experience at KBF, USH, or 6Flags? Plus doesn't USH already charge over $100 for premium access? And isn't that your only option, either standby or the expensive upcharge? What's the difference between that and what DL is doing?
                                        Last edited by Stormy; 08-20-2021, 05:59 AM.
                                        "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X