Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

News Disneyland increasing guest capacity, hasn't fixed dining reservations problem

Excerpted from the August 18 San Francisco Chronicle:

Disneyland is increasing guest capacity but hasn't fixed its dining reservations problem

Capacity is about to increase at Disneyland, according to Disney's top executives. But without fully restored operating systems, many guests are still struggling to adjust to the new normal in the parks, especially when it comes to in-park dining....

While Disneyland is operating with more functionality than it did when the park reopened in April — more restaurants and rides are available now than were open in the beginning of the reopening — there are still many things that are unavailable to guests.

Visitors have been raising consistent complaints on social media about the park experience.

The lack of the tram back to the Mickey and Friends parking garage, which means a three-quarter mile walk each way between the structure and park gates, has been a regular source of difficulty for guests, especially those with mobility issues or young children....

The biggest problem, though, doesn’t have to do with transportation — it has to do with dining. Limitations on which restaurants are available and capacity caps on those restaurants are severely restricting guests’ ability to eat inside the parks....

The most in-demand restaurants, like Blue Bayou inside the Pirates of the Caribbean ride and Napa Rose in Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel, are all but impossible to book, even when the 60-day booking window opens. Many are reporting on social media that they are waking up at 3 a.m. on the 60th day out from their desired dining date, the time rumored to be when dining reservations open for the day. Even with that early wake up, many are still not able to secure a spot at the restaurant they want.

Difficulties have arisen because the restaurants are operating at limited guest capacity, due in part to the park’s capacity restrictions but also to the park’s limited staff. Currently, Disneyland employs about 19,000 people, down from its pre-pandemic 32,000, the OC Register reported....

Staffing issues aside, the quantity of dining options at the Disneyland Resort in total has fallen this year. Steakhouse 55 and the Steakhouse 55 Lounge in the Disneyland Hotel are permanently closed, as is Disney’s PCH Grill in the Paradise Pier Hotel and the Alfresco Tasting Terrace inside Disney California Adventure Park.

The sit-down, reservation-based Carnation Cafe inside Disneyland Park is reopening next month, but plans for the reopening of other walk-up quick service restaurants like Royal Street Veranda, Troubadour Tavern, Daisy’s Diner and Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta have not been announced.

Even at quick service restaurants that are currently operating, visitors aren’t guaranteed they’ll be able to get food...

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek
  • BigThunda
    BTR > Galaxys Edge
    • Aug 2018

What a complete joke. Nothing surprises me anymore at this point. I can’t believe people are even entertaining the idea of going to the parks with all the hoops they are being forced to jump through just to get a meal. Never in my wildest dream, uhh nightmare would I think I’d have to wake up at some unGodly hour to make a dining reservation at a stinking theme park!!! The only time I’m waking up at 3:00am voluntarily for is to take a leak.
    Big Thunder Ranch > Galaxys Edge

Comment

• Mr_IvanStark
      One Stormy Night Long Ago
      • Jul 2016

I've been saying this for a few weeks now- they need to get rid of the mobile ordering. I don't want to feel the pain from all the money I'll be spending

Comment

• The Real McDuck
        MiceChatter
        • Feb 2014

It's as if Bob Paycheck is doing everything in his power to screw up.

Comment

• Eagleman
          Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by BigThunda View Post
          What a complete joke. Nothing surprises me anymore at this point. I can’t believe people are even entertaining the idea of going to the parks with all the hoops they are being forced to jump through just to get a meal. Never in my wildest dream, uhh nightmare would I think I’d have to wake up at some unGodly hour to make a dining reservation at a stinking theme park!!! The only time I’m waking up at 3:00am voluntarily for is to take a leak.
          I Laughing my Friend
          I take Blood Pressure Med-Darn I’m waking up at 3:00am un-voluntarily
          to take a leak...............
          Last thing I want to do, is making dining reservation .
          No - it is Disney that have this wildest Dreams , I just want go back to bed , to "sleep"
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Eagleman
            Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by The Real McDuck View Post
            It's as if Bob Paycheck is doing everything in his power to screw up.

I feel like BOB have been on the """Grizzly River Run"""
            one to many times....He is all screw up !
            IMO
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• linkeq2001
              MiceChatter
              • Oct 2012

It’s just negative story after negative story for Disneyland now. Couldn’t fathom going to the parks in their current state. Imagine having a hungry family and basically not being able to go for food anywhere because it’s booked or massively backed up with mobile order or mobile order only. I think I’d actually be demanding my money back at that point or a whopping discount; you’re paying full price for trash as this point.

Comment

• Eagleman
                Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post
                It’s just negative story after negative story for Disneyland now. Couldn’t fathom going to the parks in their current state. Imagine having a hungry family and basically not being able to go for food anywhere because it’s booked or massively backed up with mobile order or mobile order only.
                Geeeee sound better going to Knott's
                Food is on the pricey side.........but you get better portion and BETTER FOOD
                Now another reason
                Your not playing the Disney game with .........mobile order-and reservation !
                IMO
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Tomorrowland67
                  Tourist
                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

Your not playing the Disney game with .........mobile order-and reservation !
                  IMO
                  I've only mobile-ordered two items: A Dole whip from the Tiki Juice Bar, and an ice cream cone from Gibson Girl. Both times I found the process to be very frustrating. It would have been much simpler and quicker to do a walk-up order.

Comment

• Spongeocto4
                    Paper Mario Fanatic

• Jul 2011

I get the sense we may get an executive shake-up in TDA(and only in TDA ). Whether it does anything, is another story. Could we see the exit of the newly installed Ken Potrock? Or the long serving Mary Niven, whom allegedly clashed with Chapek's former ally/spy, Christie Fleischer?

Never in my wildest dream, uhh nightmare would I think I’d have to wake up at some unGodly hour to make a dining reservation at a stinking theme park!!! The only time I’m waking up at 3:00am voluntarily for is to take a leak.
                    Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

I Laughing my Friend
                    I take Blood Pressure Med-Darn I’m waking up at 3:00am un-voluntarily
                    to take a leak...............
                    Last thing I want to do, is making dining reservation .
                    No - it is Disney that have this wildest Dreams , I just want go back to bed , to "sleep"
                    Don't you guys know that 3AM is the best time for a Krabby Patty?!

"...but life without cake is no life at all"
                    -Lysithea von Ordelia, Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Disneyland: 1997, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2015, 2020, 2023
                    WDW: 2006
                    Universal Hollywood: 1998, 2007, 2023

Comment

• Eagleman
                      Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                      I get the sense we may get an executive shake-up in TDA(and only in TDA ). Whether it does anything, is another story. Could we see the exit of the newly installed Ken Potrock? Or the long serving Mary Niven, whom allegedly clashed with Chapek's former ally/spy, Christie Fleischer?

Well
                      IMO- I think whole Company, in for a ""Shake-Up""
                      and Disney Parks changing names soon, long with it !
                      Last edited by Eagleman; 08-21-2021, 05:35 PM.
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Eagleman
                        Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

LOL-Krabby Patty

Geeeeee.....
                        I just Thankful to "GO BACK TO SLEEP"
                        I hate be awake all morning

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• linkeq2001
                          MiceChatter
                          • Oct 2012

Ugh if that’s true losing Mary Niven May very well be a deathblow to the resort in terms of culture and quality of the experience. I wouldn’t be surprised though, the presidents are on a constant loop so they always buy into the latest and greatest from the CEO, the VPs are much more long-standing and may represent pushback to the current massive cultural shift, dumping them ensures you have no one but yes men and women at the corporate level in the parks.

Comment

• jcruise86
                            former CM

• Jul 2006

"But we at Disney have been listening. Soon you'll be able to walk right up & order at most of the nearly most popular restaurants if you pay for "Lightning Lane Double Plus Good"!

"But what if you suddenly want to eat at the most popular sit down restaurants and have your food served when you arrive?
                            Then for a small (if you're Bezos or Musk) fee, you can do this! You don't even have to have Lightning Lane Double Plus Good to spend the small (if you're Musk or Bezos) fee for this option.

"Just go to Genie+ and click on the 'Make it happen!' option -- the same one that will let your family of four ride Rise of the Resistance for $80 (just $20 per 'guest') during this 2021 Christmas break, or ride the Tron Coaster for $160 during the 2022 Christmas break."

I recommend walking across Harbor Blvd. and eating at Mimi's till this mess is fixed.
                            Last edited by jcruise86; 08-22-2021, 06:35 AM.

Comment

• YeaDZNY
                              Banned User
                              • Apr 2016

LOL....my sentiments exactly!!! Unfortunately the more and more people keep buying tickets to go to this once shell of a park the more all of this nonsense will stick around....so sad

Comment

• Spongeocto4
                                Paper Mario Fanatic

• Jul 2011

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
                                "But we at Disney have been listening. Soon you'll be able to walk right up & order at most of the nearly most popular restaurants if you pay for "Lightning Lane Double Plus Good"!

"But what if you suddenly want to eat at the most popular sit down restaurants and have your food served when you arrive?
                                Then for a small (if you're Bezos or Musk) fee, you can do this! You don't even have to have Lightning Lane Double Plus Good to spend the small (if you're Musk or Bezos) fee for this option.

"Just go to Genie+ and click on the 'Make it happen!' option -- the same one that will let your family of four ride Rise of the Resistance for $80 (just $20 per 'guest') during this 2021 Christmas break, or ride the Tron Coaster for $160 during the 2022 Christmas break."

I recommend walking across Harbor Blvd. and eating at Mimi's till this mess is fixed.
                                After reading that hypothetical/alternate universe scenario, I'm would just skip the meal and just get a drink (or two) at the nearest decent establishment. Then IHOP later for the hangover. All in the Anaheim Resort District! (Throws imaginary confetti). Where Reality Comes True!

Comment

• bigcatrik
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • May 2012

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
                                  Brown bag -- sandwich, apple, can of soda/bottle of water.

Comment

• linkeq2001
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bigcatrik View Post

Brown bag -- sandwich, apple, can of soda/bottle of water.
                                    How long until Disney no longer allows outside food and drink now? My guess is that this is coming to, won’t be policed too hard if people really want to sneak it in, but at bag check if it’s seen and it’s not for a baby it’ll be tossed.

Comment

• Laugh-O-Grams
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Dec 2018

Restaurant Reservations in the Park should only be allowed on the day of the visit; not weeks or months out.
                                      Disney Finally Admit They Went Too Far, But Is It Too Late?

We need another Walt...and fast!

"It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
                                      The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

Comment

• Spongeocto4
                                        Paper Mario Fanatic

• Jul 2011

Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post

How long until Disney no longer allows outside food and drink now? My guess is that this is coming to, won’t be policed too hard if people really want to sneak it in, but at bag check if it’s seen and it’s not for a baby it’ll be tossed.
                                        I disagree that it will happen. If they allowed it, then guest would be less likely to buy food in the parks. The only exemption I could see (other than baby food), if they bought food at DTD or the hotels. Even the latter might be a stretch, as I could only see DCA allowing GCH guests to bring hotel food in.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X