Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Influence of Genie+ on RotR and Theme Park Industry in General

I’ve been thinking about the future of virtual ques since the new Genie+ was announced, and I honestly think that Disney is going to push people into using Lightning Lane to mask the issues surrounding the ride capacity of Rise. To do this they would still continue to offer virtual que, but quietly throttle the number of allotted spots available to the general public and reallocate the existing space for the upcharged group. It makes me think that they may have been losing revenue due on the upkeep of this ride since it’s notorious for breaking down. The people paying for Lightning Lane (and I’m sure VIP tour groups will make this an additional charge - not to mention the SW hotel attendees in Florida) must receive priority access to keep Genie+ and LL from becoming failures. So what happens if enough people really do want to just pay to ride and Disney doesn’t have enough allocated openings on a consistent basis? Will they just remove the option of virtual que completely from that ride and make it solely an additional up charge (since it doesn’t offer a stand by line)?

What do you think? Is it just slippery slope logic? Prior to the announcement of Genie+ and LL, I’d heard that the design of the current plan is to make the average day less magical and more frustrating as a way to entice park goers to pay for upcharges to have a more magical experience.

Could this plan also influence other theme parks to do the same? Universal charges hundreds extra for Fastpass the later in the day you try to purchase it and they restrict the number of Fastpass packages they sell in a day. At least with their program all rides are included.

I could definitely see shenanigans happening to further entice people to purchase lightning lane+ and genie+ to make their day more “enjoyable” in the future. I’m not sure if Disney would ever push to have a new attraction completely closed off to the public so openly as to only have it as an upcharge though. I think instead the number of boarding groups would be throttled back to next to nothing instead.

What I find sad about the situation is that this will likely apply to every new ride to the resort. No more anticipation and joy waiting in line. Now you luck out with a boarding group or just pay extra (and likely wait in line a long time since it will be very popular) for a ride you already “paid for”.

In terms of Universal. I think they are going to have a wait and see approach. If all these upcharges continue to be poorly received they may be in a position where their current front of the line program actually looks better, and they may market as an alternative to Disney’s nickel and diming of guests. Disney is in a position where’s it’s trying to squeeze money from its clients; Universal would be happy stealing guests from Disney even if their profit off of each guest was lower, I could even see adjustments to Universals front of line program that makes it more desirable if they felt this was a time to strike, especially whenever Epic World finishes.

Comment

Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post
      I could definitely see shenanigans happening to further entice people to purchase lightning lane+ and genie+ to make their day more “enjoyable” in the future. I’m not sure if Disney would ever push to have a new attraction completely closed off to the public so openly as to only have it as an upcharge though. I think instead the number of boarding groups would be throttled back to next to nothing instead.
      I can see that happening as well !
      Last edited by Eagleman; 08-22-2021, 06:50 PM.
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Question about this new Genie+ is it $15 or $20 per day or per ride? Just got into a conversation with my friend and she thinks it's per ride. I thought it was more like Max Pass per Day. Any info thanks
        Janette

Comment

Per day. There are a couple (3?) rides that one can pay even more for($9-13?) to get in super short queues.
          Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Leofoenget View Post
            Question about this new Genie+ is it $15 or $20 per day or per ride? Just got into a conversation with my friend and she thinks it's per ride. I thought it was more like Max Pass per Day. Any info thanks
            To my knowledge it’s three parts:

1. Disney Genie - free app that lets you know what wait times look like and makes suggestions for your day.
            2. Disney Genie+ is what replaces Maxpass for $20 and includes photopass. Not all rides are included. If you have a Magic Key pass it is NOT offered as an add on, so you have to pay every time you go to the park, per ticket.
            3. Lightning Lane - pay per ride for up to of the more exclusive rides per day. Rise of the Resistance and Radiator Springs Racers will be in this category.

Things to note: rides that have standby lines left over from Fastpass/Maxpass days can still be utilized. Disney said that during the day if the lines for those rides get too long they will implement a virtual boarding group style system.

We don’t know which rides will be categorized as Disney Genie+ or Lightning Lane. The thought process is the heavy hitting must see rides will fall under the LL system. We also don’t know what the allotment of riders will be per category (ie. Standby vs. Genie+). They could throttle the number of standby guests to process more pass holding guests and make the wait miserable to entice people to upgrade.

Cost - we don’t know what the cost per person for Lightning Lane rides will be. We also Don’t know if surge pricing will be installed.

Comment

" I honestly think that Disney is going to push people into using Lightning Lane to mask the issues surrounding the ride capacity of Rise. To do this they would still continue to offer virtual que, but quietly throttle the number of allotted spots available to the general public and reallocate the existing space for the upcharged group. It makes me think that they may have been losing revenue due on the upkeep of this ride since it’s notorious for breaking down. "

I think you're spot on. According to the buzz on this board, attendance didn't spike enough to make up for the investment of building Star Wars Land (I know the real name --- pffftt!), so they are irritated and want it to pay for itself.

Comment

I wonder will people ask the question, "is it worth it"?

I do wonder if it will really be worth it in the long run, tastes, preferences, etc change over time. Disney is pushing things to become a "one and done" type affair.

This is purely anecdotal, but many Disney fans I know have simply lost interest in going to the parks, it just doesn't seem like fun anymore.

Are there enough potential guests to keep volume up? I don't know.

Part of the magic of going to Disneyland was the escape, the escape from reality and to just mull about the park and explore your "dreams".

Now it is a difficult, preprogrammed affair with upcharges around every corner. Since every charge inflicts pain in the guest, will many guests simply decide to pay the price once and then not go again?

The outcome of this experiment won't be known for a few years. Sadly after Chapek has benefited from the short sighted liquidation of 60+ years of accumulated goodwill and guest nostalgia.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post
                  I wonder will people ask the question, "is it worth it"?

I do wonder if it will really be worth it in the long run, tastes, preferences, etc change over time. Disney is pushing things to become a "one and done" type affair.

This is purely anecdotal, but many Disney fans I know have simply lost interest in going to the parks, it just doesn't seem like fun anymore.

Are there enough potential guests to keep volume up? I don't know.

Part of the magic of going to Disneyland was the escape, the escape from reality and to just mull about the park and explore your "dreams".

Now it is a difficult, preprogrammed affair with upcharges around every corner. Since every charge inflicts pain in the guest, will many guests simply decide to pay the price once and then not go again?

The outcome of this experiment won't be known for a few years. Sadly after Chapek has benefited from the short sighted liquidation of 60+ years of accumulated goodwill and guest nostalgia.
                  I join you my FRIEND with X 2
                  As Disney pushing things goes -- it like "one and dumb" type affair.
                  Chapek is a very short term thinker......&......lack in goodwill !
                  IMO
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X