Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dtimeisnow View Post

First of all, I don't watch Fox News...or ABC, CBS, or NBC. They all have at least a bias slant.

Second of all, cancel culture is real because the social media crowd is not what people think it is. A lot of companies, especially Disney, have poured in a lot of resources to try lure in fans that are active on Twitter, Instagram, and Tik Tok. The problem is that unlike the old guard of marketing (which caters to everyone on a equal level), the new guard of marketing is aware that the a lot of social media users lean left, thinking they can eliminate all hate through finger wagging and publicly shaming those that disagree with them. But people have started to understand that people that view the world through social media aren't getting the REAL picture but a PERSPECTIVE picture. It's become easier to think that what your seeing is real because all the other people and sources you follow validate those points. Regardless of the left or right, theres always a crowd that hates their viewpoint being challenged and rather then debating it, they make sure the other cannot get another word out.

In essence, those that participate in cancel culture are small dogs with loud voices. They think their making a difference by instead of making their own lives better, join a group of people to feel like their a part of something.

This quote above proves my point as this person doesn't want to debate me but try to paint a picture without evidence. Just because I said something controversial, they assume I must be far right leaning. That isn't true. I equally dislike both sides .
    I am not trying to attack or bully you here, but you should be aware that, however you meant it, all of this sounds like right wing echo chamber crazy talk. I understand that doesn't match your self-description of yourself, but if that's how everyone who hears what you have to say immediately responds to it, you might want to ask yourself why that is.

And if people aren't debating you, that's less likely a sign that nobody can cope with the realness of your objective truth bombs, and more likely it's a sign that you're not presenting yourself as a person worth engaging with. If you have some cogent, specific observations on the Splash Mountain situation I think many of us are happy to hear those out, but I don't think anyone has any interest in "debating" what stupid stuff the imaginary cancel culture people which you've made up are doing in your imagination, or in the imagination of some Newsmax or OANN nutjobs, which is honestly how your posts are coming across.

Anyway, hopefully this comes across as helpful rather than hostile.

Comment

• Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post

I am not trying to attack or bully you here, but you should be aware that, however you meant it, all of this sounds like right wing echo chamber crazy talk. I understand that doesn't match your self-description of yourself, but if that's how everyone who hears what you have to say immediately responds to it, you might want to ask yourself why that is.

And if people aren't debating you, that's less likely a sign that nobody can cope with the realness of your objective truth bombs, and more likely it's a sign that you're not presenting yourself as a person worth engaging with. If you have some cogent, specific observations on the Splash Mountain situation I think many of us are happy to hear those out, but I don't think anyone has any interest in "debating" what stupid stuff the imaginary cancel culture people which you've made up are doing in your imagination, or in the imagination of some Newsmax or OANN nutjobs, which is honestly how your posts are coming across.

Wholeheartedly agree with you, BasilOregano.

Comment

• I am not trying to attack or bully you here, but you should be aware that, however you meant it, all of this sounds like right wing echo chamber crazy talk. I understand that doesn't match your self-description of yourself, but if that's how everyone who hears what you have to say immediately responds to it, you might want to ask yourself why that is.

Before I continue, answer me one question,

Let's say you were enjoying a day at Disneyland. Someone with a Fox News shirt came up to you to say, "I just wanted to tell you I love your haunted mansion shirt".

Would you be their friend?

Comment

• BasilOregano you have a beautiful way of wording your posts.

Comment

Let's say you were enjoying a day at Disneyland. Someone with a Fox News shirt came up to you to say, "I just wanted to tell you I love your haunted mansion shirt".

I know this question is not directed at me, but I want to say that it's very odd.

Friendships are far greater than two people politely saying hello to each other at Disneyland. They are built on love, trust, and an understanding of one another's experiences over a much longer period of time.

Comment

• Though I probably could have worded my viewpoint differently, this is one of the reasons why I don't even like to debate at all. it's a lose-lose situation. It's clear that a lot of people don't like my perspective and I'm okay with that. I'm not looking to validate my point, but bring up an opinion. People can like or dislike it, but I'd rather it's at least out there.

Splash Mountain going through a big change was going to be controversial no matter what. I've already gone into detail several posts back on why I wasn't in favor of it (short answer: It's the current management doing it I have a problem with, not The Princess and the Frog) and it's difficult these days to discuss that without the movie, and even more so without the history.

I've already decided months ago that I wasn't going to buy into the new magic key pass to show I don't support the various decisions going on with the parks. Splash Mountain is one of the reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

Wholeheartedly agree with you, BasilOregano.
                Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post
                BasilOregano you have a beautiful way of wording your posts.
                Thanks! =)

Originally posted by Dtimeisnow View Post

I can't take this seriously, I'm sorry.

Comment

• I can't take this seriously, I'm sorry.
                  If you can't answer one question, then this says A LOT about you and therefore, cannot continue this discussion

Comment

• Originally posted by JLee1226 View Post

...ok, I don't understand how we're making the delineation between IP and non-IP then. How is Splash Mountain anti-IP? The film the ride is based on is an adapted work from an author that Disney bought the rights to. The fact that Disney currently does not make the film available doesn't somehow undo that.
                    Sorry for the confusion......What I mean by SM as "anti-IP" is the ride is based on an IP the company want's to distance itself from.

Comment

• I'm excited for this project so long as they do it RIGHT. I still have faith in imagineering to make a fun, exciting ride experience. This cannot be done cheaply, they need to go all out and there are so many ways they can do this, we know they can. They've given us RotR, Millennium Falcon (To a degree) Radiator Springs Racers etc. They just need to use the technology we all know they have access to to make an immersive experience. But if it's because they want a "cheap fix" count me out. Disney can redo any ride they want to long as they improve on what made the version before it great and innovate a little.

Comment

• Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post

I am not trying to attack or bully you here, but you should be aware that, however you meant it, all of this sounds like right wing echo chamber crazy talk......, but I don't think anyone has any interest in "debating" what stupid stuff the imaginary cancel culture people which you've made up are doing in your imagination, or in the imagination of some Newsmax or OANN nutjobs, which is honestly how your posts are coming across.
                        Complaining about cancel culture isn't necessarily rightwing crazy talk - some Democrats have done the same, including Barack Obama, de facto leader of the Democratic Party, who's made some of the same points Dtimeisnow made in the very post you're marginalizing.
                        Last edited by J. Thaddeus Toad; 09-02-2021, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• There are 3 main reasons I can think of for why some people refuse to accept the re-theme:

1: Racism.

2: Being a person that doesn't cope well with change in general.

3: Fearing that the re-theme won't be given the budget it needs and will end up being inferior to the original attraction.

I can relate to the last one, but other than that I really don't see the problem.

Is The Princess and the Frog my favourite Disney movie? No.
                          But guess what? Most people that love Splash Mountain haven't even seen the movie it was based on and somehow it still works for them.

If for no other reason (even though there are many), from a sheer marketing perspective it makes 100% sense to update the attraction to that of a movie that people can actually watch.

And no, I'm not suggesting that all attractions should be "IP'd" for the sake of marketability, just that when the choice is between two movies, it's probably best not to pick the one that has already been banned due to problematic content for over 30 years.

Yes, I too will definitely miss parts of the original attraction, especially the music. But I also trust that there is at least a good chance that the new attraction could be equally as good and maybe even better than the original.

Comment

• Originally posted by DLcub View Post
                            There are 3 main reasons I can think of for why some people refuse to accept the re-theme:

3: Fearing that the re-theme won't be given the budget it needs and will end up being inferior to the original attraction.
                            I think this a nice way to sum it up.

Originally posted by DLcub View Post
                            If for no other reason (even though there are many), from a sheer marketing perspective it makes 100% sense to update the attraction to that of a movie that people can actually watch.
                            Yeah. I wonder how central this consideration is, actually. (If nothing else, this provides the admittedly very thin silver living that if this reskin is badly received, they're less likely to put Frozen into the Matterhorn, etc.)

Comment

• Originally posted by kjhorton25 View Post
                              I'm excited for this project so long as they do it RIGHT. I still have faith in Imagineering to make a fun, exciting ride experience. This cannot be done cheaply, they need to go all out and there are so many ways they can do this, we know they can.
                              I AGREE
                              But the question is

Is the Higher Up Leadership ,specially Chapek regime , going let the Imagineering people do there job ?
                              My fear is ,it has been ......
                              Chapek regime ,who have control of budget, and to operate attraction as they wanted" and his record
                              it will be done Cheaply " ! IMO
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

First of all, I don't watch Fox News...or ABC, CBS, or NBC. They all have at least a bias slant.

Second of all, cancel culture is real because the social media crowd is not what people think it is. A lot of companies, especially Disney, have poured in a lot of resources to try lure in fans that are active on Twitter, Instagram, and Tik Tok. The problem is that unlike the old guard of marketing (which caters to everyone on a equal level), the new guard of marketing is aware that the a lot of social media users lean left, thinking they can eliminate all hate through finger wagging and publicly shaming those that disagree with them. But people have started to understand that people that view the world through social media aren't getting the REAL picture but a PERSPECTIVE picture. It's become easier to think that what your seeing is real because all the other people and sources you follow validate those points. Regardless of the left or right, theres always a crowd that hates their viewpoint being challenged and rather then debating it, they make sure the other cannot get another word out.

In essence, those that participate in cancel culture are small dogs with loud voices. They think their making a difference by instead of making their own lives better, join a group of people to feel like their a part of something.

This quote above proves my point as this person doesn't want to debate me but try to paint a picture without evidence. Just because I said something controversial, they assume I must be far right leaning. That isn't true. I equally dislike both sides .
                                Seems contradictory that "cancel culture" can both be a real problem but also those who participate in it are "small dogs with loud voices."

...anyways.

I'm still holding on to cautiously optimistic. But yeah, the biggest obstacle is the chance that they will short Imagineering the funding they need to do a ride to a high standard.
                                Restore Walt's Disneyland: bring back the Aluminum Hall of Fame!

Comment

• Originally posted by JLee1226 View Post

I'm still holding on to cautiously optimistic. But yeah, the biggest obstacle is the chance that they will short Imagineering the funding they need to do a ride to a high standard.
                                  I Agree....
                                  I also feel same way ....
                                  Like see Imagineering to be able do there job.....and see the ride in high standard
                                  But with the Today Disney leadership-and there track record,
                                  I fear that not going be the case....because of funding !
                                  IMO
                                  "We will See".....

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Originally posted by DLcub View Post
                                    There are 3 main reasons I can think of for why some people refuse to accept the re-theme:

That's really nice, thank you for telling us how we feel. Don't worry, none of are nostalgic and just don't want to see a beloved attraction hacked to bits, we must just be racist instead!? This is exactly what's wrong with America. If you don't "this" (ie. comply to certain ideologies that meet a particular agenda) then you must be "this" (a completely terrible garbage human).....
                                    Why make someone who opposes you feel inferior? I wonder what the gain is there...

Facebook me!
                                    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

Friendships are far greater than two people politely saying hello to each other at Disneyland. They are built on love, trust, and an understanding of one another's experiences over a much longer period of time.
                                      Matter if Friends Agree to Dis-Agree
                                      Friendships are far greater
                                      I Agree
                                      They are built on love, trust, and an understanding of one another's experiences !
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Originally posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post

That's really nice, thank you for telling us how we feel. Don't worry, none of are nostalgic and just don't want to see a beloved attraction hacked to bits, we must just be racist instead!? This is exactly what's wrong with America. If you don't "this" (ie. comply to certain ideologies that meet a particular agenda) then you must be "this" (a completely terrible garbage human).....
                                        Why make someone who opposes you feel inferior? I wonder what the gain is there...
                                        I agree. I understand there are issues with the ride, but it also happens to be one of my favorites because I like the characters on the ride, I’ve seen the film once I think so for me the ride is pretty separate. None of that makes me racist, or someone who fears change......I just like the ride 🙄

We could put in those extremes of thought into any change.

”Those who hate that POTC is being redone are either

1) Sexists because pirate culture is inexorably linked to the abuse of women

2) Fear change

3) Worried the new attraction won’t be given the same care”

As someone in the thread already said theme parks are different, when something changes or is removed it’s gone forever and unable to be experienced anymore. Some people just need to come to grips with the fact that others just genuinely like the ride and are sad they won’t be able to ride it anymore. That doesn’t need to come with moral grandstanding

Comment

• Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post

I agree. I understand there are issues with the ride, but it also happens to be one of my favorites because I like the characters on the ride, I’ve seen the film once I think so for me the ride is pretty separate. None of that makes me racist, or someone who fears change......I just like the ride 🙄
                                          Yeah actually, now that you mention it, I'm going to change my vote and agree with you that "fear change" is probably too broad and/or unnecessarily negative. What if instead we modified DLcub's proposal to the reasons for not liking the redo as:

a) political reflex (could be outright racism, but is more likely an emotional sense that your 'side' is probably somehow 'losing' here, or that the 'wrong people' are 'winning')

b) nostalgla/missing what won't there anymore (the old ride is a classic and masterpiece of imagineering, they don't build them like that anymore, even if they did it wouldn't have the exact same magic anyhow, and once a ride is gone, it's gone, etc)

c) concern that the retheme will share at least some of the problems that have been plaguing their recent projects (things look cheap, fewer animatronics, TV screens everywhere, less of an evocative atmosphere, the "gotta include this character too" approach instead of staging scenes, etc)

On the other side, I guess we could list reasons for liking the change as:

a) its a win for inclusivity, broadens the kinds of stories and experiences that are represented in the park, and hopefully makes the parks more accessible and enjoyable to greater diversity of guests

b) Princess and the Frog is a great movie with a lot of great visuals, songs, settings and characters that would could be fantastic on a ride

c) getting a brand new-ish E-ticket ride is exciting, and maybe WDI has some great tricks up its sleeve that will help DLR keep up with the times in terms of impressive and enjoyable 21st century rides

Hopefully that looks like an alright-ish summary?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X