Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrawn?

>>“In a strange way,” Iger says, “I am the brand manager of Disney.” He sees his job as building, in the words of his friend the late Steve Jobs, more “brand deposits” than “brand withdrawals.” (Fortune, May 2012)<<

Iger's successor has made it clear how he sees his job...

Chapek's "We've Got An Embarrassment of Riches" video

(For those who can't make it through the stomach-churning video, here's the transcript.)

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
      Iger's successor has made it clear how he sees his job...

Chapek's "We've Got An Embarrassment of Riches" video

(For those who can't make it through the stomach-churning video, here's the transcript.)

It clear to me...........It's GREED imo
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

This way of thinking is not exclusive to Chapek or to Iger though, it’s simply the new way of doing things in entertainment. Blame streaming, where audiences now have constant entertainment at their fingertips all the time; there needs to be a justification for the monthly payment and there also needs to be enough content to keep consumers paying month to month.

Every major company everywhere is leveraging its IP holdings, squeezing every last drop out of franchises until their are a desecrated corpse. Amazon, Apple, Netflix, you will see every franchise from the past rebooted, sequeled, prequeled, and spun off in the coming years.

For Disney and Universal they have the added bonus of pumping these brands up even more through the parks, what better way to get people excited about your sequel to the spin off of Treasure Planet than to include some merch in the parks and maybe a meet and greet.

Comment

Yes, the constant entertainment has its drawbacks. As some of us have said, the anticipation in the lines is half the fun. (Overplanning our Disney-commando style trips is fun as well - but that is MY overplanning, not forced on me, and I have the freedom to be flexible) In streaming, with every episode dropping immediately, we are denied the week in between to wait and digest and analyze and predict before the next episode of a show comes out. I know I could do that myself, but invariably I see a headline that spoils some twist, so I have to resort to binging it. Also, having that week to chat with friends about something and sharing our predictions heightens the experience. I have found when I finish a season so quick, 6 months or a year later I can't even remember what happened and I have to watch it all again. It's like I was zombified while watching it and can't retain anything. Strange phenomenon. These companies are just trying to get paid for the equivalent of fan fiction. I don't blame them, but I also don't blame people who try to get filtering services that eliminate anything relating to Jar-Jar. Ugh. rambling.

Comment

Originally posted by nostalgic View Post
            Yes, the constant entertainment has its drawbacks. As some of us have said, the anticipation in the lines is half the fun. (Overplanning our Disney-commando style trips is fun as well - but that is MY overplanning, not forced on me, and I have the freedom to be flexible) In streaming, with every episode dropping immediately, we are denied the week in between to wait and digest and analyze and predict before the next episode of a show comes out. I know I could do that myself, but invariably I see a headline that spoils some twist, so I have to resort to binging it. Also, having that week to chat with friends about something and sharing our predictions heightens the experience. I have found when I finish a season so quick, 6 months or a year later I can't even remember what happened and I have to watch it all again. It's like I was zombified while watching it and can't retain anything. Strange phenomenon. These companies are just trying to get paid for the equivalent of fan fiction. I don't blame them, but I also don't blame people who try to get filtering services that eliminate anything relating to Jar-Jar. Ugh. rambling.
            Getting a little off the parks centric topic but fun fact. That whole anticipation of an episode and the “water cooler” talk about shows is the reason lots of streaming services have no reverted back to weekly episode releases for their heaviest hitters. The dump and binge process wasn’t working because 1) people would finish the content too quickly and therefore your hundred million dollar season was done and dusted in a weekend 2) The hype and anticipation around shows just didn’t build because people didn’t have those conversations. Big marketing difference between “Hey I watched this show it’s great” versus “Wow what do you think is going to happen next, did x character survive?”

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
              >>“In a strange way,” Iger says, “I am the brand manager of Disney.”
              YEP today world BRAND and ADVERTISMENT goes hand hand........in Business
              There BRAND...you pay it and you Advertise it for them.....

And that Why you have people like Chapek as CEO..........
              and Turning the Disney's Park ,into "BILLBOARD" that you pay for ADMISSION !
              I find it "AMAZING" and not in a good way
              IMO
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
              Working...
              X