Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] So what's coming to DLR for 2022?

2022 is a bit of a weird spot for the Disneyland Resort, as there currently isn't anything major scheduled to open or set to premiere next year. The opening of Mickey & Minnie Runway Railway was originally slotted in 2022, but the pandemic delayed it to 2023. The Princess and the Frog makeover has no date attatched to it and no work has even begun yet, making a 2022 opening less likely (but not impossible). And DisneylandFoward is still in the blue sky development phase, with no potential plans to be decided til 2023.

We know that Marketing will want something new to promote for next year's summer season. So my question is this: What do you think DLR's major plans are for next year?

Here is my potential guesses:
    • Return of revamped entertainment. A 30 year anniversary version of Fantasmic; World of Color update with new scenes based on recent movies
    • A new Parade for DCA (which has gone without one for several years, due to Avenger Campus construction/Trolley Realignment).
    • Finding Nemo Subs get updated to include characters from Finding Dory & Luca.
    • New Stage Shows for Fantasyland Theatre and/or Hyperion Theater
    • Return of the Electrical Street Parade
    • An updated return of Soarin Over California.
    • Disney having another filler year long parks promotion(ala "Year(s) of a Million Dream, Celebrate!); Disney could tie in WDW's 50th, similar to DL's 50th.
    Your guesses?

It's a great question. You are correct that they'll want something for next year. Best guest is something cheap. Rolling out Electrical Parade and Fantasmic is very likely.

But I don't understand why it's going to take until 2023 for Runaway Railway. The show building is done, the video elements have already been produced, they just need to install a ride system (if they haven't already) and props. This ride could be done in 6 months if they wanted.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
    Save

Comment

I'd love to see the Main Street Electrical Parade again. Our first trip in 5 years is next summer...and I'm guessing it will be our last in a good while, so I'm just hoping most everything is up and running.

Comment

Soarin' Over California seems like the best bet for an early summer comeback. My brother was at the park on Thursday hoping to see Over California but he didn't and he must've made some sort of expression of discontent because the employee standing in front of the sign told him " Don't worry, we all miss it too." It just seems to be management refuses to put it back. My dream is for them to remaster all of those scenes from the old film (Not CG like Over the World). I can't imagine for most scenes it would be too hard to film. The only scene I could see them having trouble reshooting is the helicopter in San Diego. But I really wish they'd put some real effort into it.

Comment

I need them to announce a refurb for Indiana Jones. I know, I'm harping on this one thing a lot but YIKES.

All in all, good predictions, Spongeocto4! Any traction on the above would entice me a bit for a return; however, with all of the above there's a requirement of adequate staff... which sounds to be an unnecessary pain for Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by kjhorton25 View Post
            Soarin' Over California seems like the best bet for an early summer comeback. My brother was at the park on Thursday hoping to see Over California but he didn't and he must've made some sort of expression of discontent because the employee standing in front of the sign told him " Don't worry, we all miss it too." It just seems to be management refuses to put it back. My dream is for them to remaster all of those scenes from the old film (Not CG like Over the World). I can't imagine for most scenes it would be too hard to film. The only scene I could see them having trouble reshooting is the helicopter in San Diego. But I really wish they'd put some real effort into it.

I'd love to see SoC come back and remastering would be cool. The hang gliding community recently lost the pilot who is shown flying Yosemite and it would be nice to 'see' him remastered into crystal clarity, but I'd hate to have them replace him with a different pilot.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Soarin' Over California, make me feel like soaring "EAGLE" over this pretty state.
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Electrical Parade would come on D C A side
                Something tell me-there not going be any water show/WOC
                In 2021, the lighthouses that house projectors and lights in Paradise Bay, were removed.
                They were removed due to the wood rotting away. Because of this, the show had to go on hiatus once again.
                IMO- I think there more to it, than wood rotting away, and going be very long time
                when come back -If it come back?

Of course Fantasmic ,would be at Disneyland on the River of America.

All have wait to see what 2022 would bring......
                with Disney all things is subject to change
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post

I'd love to see SoC come back and remastering would be cool. The hang gliding community recently lost the pilot who is shown flying Yosemite and it would be nice to 'see' him remastered into crystal clarity, but I'd hate to have them replace him with a different pilot.
                  I didn't know it was a real hang glider! It always looked CG to me.
                  Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Genie 2: The Phantom Menace
                    Last edited by merlinjones; 08-31-2021, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Well those are very good guesses there. Good work to the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                        Finding Nemo Subs get updated to include characters from Finding Dory & Luca.
                        There's no way Luca characters will be put in a ride about a separate movie. Chapek may be all about slapping IPs on everything, yes, but I've found he hasn't tried to lump two completely-separate IPs into a single ride, showing he at least understands the importance of thematic consistency.
                        Disney visits over the years:
                        • Disneyland, December 2000 (plus Legoland)
                        • Disneyland, Summer 2003 (plus Legoland, SeaWorld, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Model Railroad Museum, and Knott's Berry Farm)
                        • Disneyland, December 26, 2004-January 2, 2005 (mom's 40th birthday at Plaza Inn; New Year's at Disneyland)
                        • Disneyland, July 2005 (Pre-Disney Cruise visit)
                        • Walt Disney World, December 15-25, 2006 (plus Kennedy Space Center)
                        • Disneyland, August 2007
                        • Disneyland, July 1-4, 2009
                        • Disneyland, July 2011 (plus Universal Studios)
                        • Disneyland, November 2011 (dad's 50th birthday)
                        • Disneyland, June 2013
                        • Walt Disney World, July-August 2013 (plus Universal CityWalk)
                        • Disneyland, June 7-8 2014
                        • Disneyland, December 27-31 2014 (mom's 50th birthday; my tenth visit)
                        • Disneyland, Summer 2015 (plus Universal Studios)

Comment

Thank You for the great post. My money is on Runaway Railway going full speed ahead for Summer 2022 opening! 🤞

Comment

Originally posted by sailor310 View Post

I didn't know it was a real hang glider! It always looked CG to me.
                            Yep, real guy and a hang gliding legend. He had (prior to his death) the most flights off Glacier Point, although I don't if that record still stands.
                            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I can't believe Fantasmic is going on 30. I was hoping its long hiatus would give Disney time to bring the Peter Pan segment back. I doubt that's a priority for management at the moment, but it would be perfect for Fantasmic's 30th anniversary. Disney could even do a Summer Nighttastic 2 campaign for 2022.

Originally posted by Stormy View Post

Yep, real guy and a hang gliding legend. He had (prior to his death) the most flights off Glacier Point, although I don't if that record still stands.
                              That's such a cool fact! It's sad that he died, but what an amazing thing he got to be a part of.
                              Brian the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by kjhorton25 View Post
                                A Soarin' over California remake would be fascinating, as some of the settings look different now: The Los Angeles skyline has grown, Redwood Creek has shrunk, and the orange grove is apparently a neighborhood now (I can't confirm the last one, but that's what I've read). The attraction is becoming a time capsule of turn-of-the-century California.

Regardless, they need new screens; I can't stand the warped effects when I'm sitting on the side of the theater.
                                Brian the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Steve43 View Post
                                  Thank You for the great post. My money is on Runaway Railway going full speed ahead for Summer 2022 opening! 🤞
                                  Attraction is Sure Wait and See.......

it would depend if Disney wants/needs more guest , in Summer 2022.
                                  If so, I think would do Go ahead.......

I believe Disney is using the attractions as palm ,part of the bag of tricks !
                                  IMO
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                                    It's a great question. You are correct that they'll want something for next year. Best guest is something cheap. Rolling out Electrical Parade and Fantasmic is very likely.

But I don't understand why it's going to take until 2023 for Runaway Railway. The show building is done, the video elements have already been produced, they just need to install a ride system (if they haven't already) and props. This ride could be done in 6 months if they wanted.
                                    There is a severe chip shortage that has impacted anything electronic (ride system) . The chip shortage is a result of shutting down production across the globe due to COVID-19. It also is related to a realignment of production that used to be done in China and is now going to be done elsewhere.
                                    --
                                    http://www.bewaterwise.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                                      There are likely additional reasons for the delay. Disneyland's MMRR had to be built from scratch, while DHS's version reused the building for the Great Movie Ride. DL's version appears to be bigger and has a different shape than it's east coast version(DHS's version is slanted). This means the layout will be different.

Before the pandemic happened, the ride was given an initial 2022 date because TDA had to do some backstage reorganization to accommodate the ride. There has been some speculation that the ride building may hold some office space on the 2nd flooring. In addition, there is currently an access road that runs between Toontown and the building. They will either have to eliminate the road, build a pedestrian overpass to enter/exit the building or add "elephant doors" in the queue line that will allow vehicles to cross (something similar to the ones between Cars Land & Pacific Wharf).

And finally, there is a chance that the view of the building will be covered up. The giant tongue-in-cheek posters on the building imply this, by asking "What Building? Hopefully the new cover/hills will block out the exposed side of Galaxy Edge's trees as well*.

*No, those aren't mountains in Batuu. They're giant petrified trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian PieGuy View Post
                                        I can't believe Fantasmic is going on 30. I was hoping its long hiatus would give Disney time to bring the Peter Pan segment back. I doubt that's a priority for management at the moment, but it would be perfect for Fantasmic's 30th anniversary. Disney could even do a Summer Nighttastic 2 campaign for 2022.

That's such a cool fact! It's sad that he died, but what an amazing thing he got to be a part of.
                                        ^ This ^ and also what savarese04 posted in another thread

"..if it was me, my plan would always have been to bring it (fantasmic) back in 2022 and make a big deal about shows/parades returning. They need something to stir excitement in 2022 and, honestly, it should be something cheap (read: pre-existing) given the money being spent to refurb WDW for their 50th."

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X