Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hows park attendance?

How has park attendance been holding this last week since now that school is back in session while Magic Keys are now available?

Reports have shown it’s been kind of dead; however, given it’s a holiday weekend, there may be an uptick in guest attendance.

Some Magic Key holders I’ve been following say that while crowds are light, there’s still some staffing troubles in the parks that are pretty obvious (mostly custodial and restaurant service).

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
      Reports have shown it’s been kind of dead; however, given it’s a holiday weekend, there may be an uptick in guest attendance.

Some Magic Key holders I’ve been following say that while crowds are light, there’s still some staffing troubles in the parks that are pretty obvious (mostly custodial and restaurant service).
      I hear Knott's also still have staffing troubles.......
      In fact ,I seeing lot's Hire Signs at many Business ,around were I live....

I can't see how guest at the Theme Parks ,really having good time, with so many Issue
      going on.....?....IMO
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

From what I saw yesterday crowds at DL were very reasonable until about 3pm then it started to take off. By 5pm the parks were very busy and some of the staffing issues became obvious at restaurants. Refreshment Corner had closed all doors and appeared to be completely closed, but was processing some mobile orders that you had to pick up in the Candy Palace (makes no sense)...

They need to give up on the ridiculous mobile order push. They are actually spending MORE payroll on some locations and getting LESS out of it plus aggravating the guests. Stage Door Cafe was the stupidest operation I've seen yet. Three out of four doors outside are for mobile order pickup. Last door is for regular orders. So the now super slow line for regular orders winds up blocking all three mobile pickup doors. Plus once inside I heard two guests confused because the one regular order line still has the stained glass mobile pickup sign over it. But they had five cast members standing around waiting for mobile orders. That's right, five. And these orders weren't coming in because the app said no order windows were open for the next 30 minutes. After I waited in line to save time over the mandatory mobile order wait I had to wait for my food to be cooked (not a bad thing). It's not rocket science here. If they completely threw out the mobile order here and just went back to four lines, four cast members, four registers they would be able to constantly serve customers in a higher velocity than they are now. While I was there I saw the five mobile order cast members help two customers total. I saw at least two dozen people who approached, saw the ridiculous line and walked away. Guarantee those folks didn't decide to make a mobile order that wouldn't be ready for another 30 minutes. With the original four lines four registers it would have appeared very reasonable to anyone and they would have been served in less than 5 minutes.

But, in the infinite brilliance of the Chapek cost cutting regime, when Disneyland replaced their cash registers with cheap iPad based units they removed all but one cash register from the Stage Door. Then they have an iPad on their counter for the online orders. So now they don't even have the infrastructure to flex to the customer demands. If NOBODY ordered online they can't just flip the sign from mobile pickup to regular purchase because there is no register to take the money. I'm assuming that if the mobile order system crashed they literally have boxed themselves in that these restaurants now only have one cash register so they would have one giant slow moving line with five or six cast members standing watching the line crawl by. This is a company worth billions of dollars that supposedly has a decent relationship with Apple, so it's really preposterous that they couldn't afford to replace registers on a one-to-one basis when they swapped out all the point of sale equipment last year.

An even more ridiculous attempt that fell flat at selling the mobile ordering was at the Red Rose Taverne. Two cast members were assigned to the front door ACTIVELY DISCOURAGING ENTRY without a completed mobile order. They told us it will be much faster and that we will have a very long wait without one. Walk in and the ENTIRE RESTAURANT IS LITERALLY EMPTY. They have removed all but one register. Cashier is there with no wait, took our one item order and sent us to the counter where we were served instantly. (the "Grave Stuff" is really delicious by the way). Sat down and just for fun looked at the app-all windows were booked for the next ten minutes. Why would you pay cast members to stand there and lie to the guest?

I actually think that the mobile ordering system has serious systemic problems that can't be seen from the TDA building or Chapek Manor up the coast. It seems like the system is throttling orders down to nothing when the kitchens and restaurants are clearly staffed to handle the volume of guests. Seeing the Stage Door fiasco last night I cannot imagine that sales at that location would not be down more than 75% at this time compared to my last Pre pandemic visit.

Some park executive clearly has a bonus plan that only pays out if mobile orders are over a certain percentage of total orders. Clearly they will do anything to get that bonus payout, even if it actually costs the company more payroll and reduces overall sales and profit. This is the problem with executive compensation plans on Wall Street... They create scenarios where doing the wrong thing for everyone (but that executive) delivers a huge payout. Even if it costs the company more in the end.
        Last edited by ClownLoach; 09-04-2021, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I went the 26th and it was lightest I've ever seen it. Mostly walk ons, though PP is always at least 20 min and RSR has been busy. I've been checking and most week days are staying super light. Even weekends are much lighter than pre-pandemic.

Just checked waits for today. It's nuts! Lots of 70 and 45 minute waits that were 10-15 Thurs.
          Last edited by sailor310; 09-04-2021, 11:35 AM.
          Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
          Mark Twain

Comment

We have been 3 times since getting our MK and the crowds each time have been very light. The last day we were there was 31 August and most attractions were walk on with the longest wait being Space Mountain at 10 minutes.
            In fact we got a boarding pass for Rise of the Resistance at 4pm, with a 120 minute wait time.
            The staffing is somewhat noticeable, and the mobile ordering is a pain in the butt, would prefer more walk up ordering. But again, it didn't diminsh the experience for us.
            We will be there tomorrow (Sunday 9/5) so let's see if a holiday weekend changes my outlook....

Comment

Originally posted by ClownLoach View Post
              From what I saw yesterday crowds at DL were very reasonable until about 3pm then it started to take off. By 5pm the parks were very busy and some of the staffing issues became obvious at restaurants. Refreshment Corner had closed all doors and appeared to be completely closed, but was processing some mobile orders that you had to pick up in the Candy Palace (makes no sense)...

They need to give up on the ridiculous mobile order push. They are actually spending MORE payroll on some locations and getting LESS out of it plus aggravating the guests. Stage Door Cafe was the stupidest operation I've seen yet. Three out of four doors outside are for mobile order pickup. Last door is for regular orders. So the now super slow line for regular orders winds up blocking all three mobile pickup doors. Plus once inside I heard two guests confused because the one regular order line still has the stained glass mobile pickup sign over it. But they had five cast members standing around waiting for mobile orders. That's right, five. And these orders weren't coming in because the app said no order windows were open for the next 30 minutes. After I waited in line to save time over the mandatory mobile order wait I had to wait for my food to be cooked (not a bad thing). It's not rocket science here. If they completely threw out the mobile order here and just went back to four lines, four cast members, four registers they would be able to constantly serve customers in a higher velocity than they are now. While I was there I saw the five mobile order cast members help two customers total. I saw at least two dozen people who approached, saw the ridiculous line and walked away. Guarantee those folks didn't decide to make a mobile order that wouldn't be ready for another 30 minutes. With the original four lines four registers it would have appeared very reasonable to anyone and they would have been served in less than 5 minutes.

But, in the infinite brilliance of the Chapek cost cutting regime, when Disneyland replaced their cash registers with cheap iPad based units they removed all but one cash register from the Stage Door. Then they have an iPad on their counter for the online orders. So now they don't even have the infrastructure to flex to the customer demands. If NOBODY ordered online they can't just flip the sign from mobile pickup to regular purchase because there is no register to take the money. I'm assuming that if the mobile order system crashed they literally have boxed themselves in that these restaurants now only have one cash register so they would have one giant slow moving line with five or six cast members standing watching the line crawl by. This is a company worth billions of dollars that supposedly has a decent relationship with Apple, so it's really preposterous that they couldn't afford to replace registers on a one-to-one basis when they swapped out all the point of sale equipment last year.

An even more ridiculous attempt that fell flat at selling the mobile ordering was at the Red Rose Taverne. Two cast members were assigned to the front door ACTIVELY DISCOURAGING ENTRY without a completed mobile order. They told us it will be much faster and that we will have a very long wait without one. Walk in and the ENTIRE RESTAURANT IS LITERALLY EMPTY. They have removed all but one register. Cashier is there with no wait, took our one item order and sent us to the counter where we were served instantly. (the "Grave Stuff" is really delicious by the way). Sat down and just for fun looked at the app-all windows were booked for the next ten minutes. Why would you pay cast members to stand there and lie to the guest?

I actually think that the mobile ordering system has serious systemic problems that can't be seen from the TDA building or Chapek Manor up the coast. It seems like the system is throttling orders down to nothing when the kitchens and restaurants are clearly staffed to handle the volume of guests. Seeing the Stage Door fiasco last night I cannot imagine that sales at that location would not be down more than 75% at this time compared to my last Pre pandemic visit.

Some park executive clearly has a bonus plan that only pays out if mobile orders are over a certain percentage of total orders. Clearly they will do anything to get that bonus payout, even if it actually costs the company more payroll and reduces overall sales and profit. This is the problem with executive compensation plans on Wall Street... They create scenarios where doing the wrong thing for everyone (but that executive) delivers a huge payout. Even if it costs the company more in the end.

Post of the Year.

Are you listening, Bob? The wheels are coming off of your clown car.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
              - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Post of the Year.

Disney and there short term thinking ,Leadership ..........
                This is the problem ,with executive compensation plans on Wall Street !
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Post of the Year.

Bob Chapek: "Tut Tut...You assume my car HAS wheels!"

(Artistic rendering of Chapek's ride seen below)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by spongeocto4 View Post

bob chapek: "tut tut...you assume my car has wheels!"

(artistic rendering of chapek's ride seen below)

"Executive compensation plan"
                    Short Term ThinkerLoL
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

"Executive compensation plan"
                      Short Term ThinkerLoL
                      The sad thing is that is exactly how the executive compensation plans work and destroy companies. I'll explain what is surely in place, I just don't know the real names and titles aside from Mr. Bowser, sorry I mean Mr. Chapek. So I'll make them up.

Mr. Bubba Gump, the EVP of Food Service Operations for Parks and Resorts, will submit their proposed performance objectives to the CEO. Mr. Gump is compensated at let's say $1M/year salary. However, they are eligible for up to $10M/year in "performance based bonuses.". Mr. Gump sells Chapek on the Mobile Order program with a slick PowerPoint that if they can just convince more of the guests to use it they could someday save payroll, drive more sales, etc. Then they set the goal... Let's say year prior to closure Mobile Order was 5% of sales but they want to move it up to 20%. Thus the only performance objective is set for this executive - being a mover and shaker Mr. Gump was hired to just move the needle in this one category so profit, guest satisfaction etc. aren't on his bonus plan.

In this fiscal year, if Mobile Order is 20% of total food orders than Mr. Gump gets his "target payout" of a $5M bonus. BUT, if Mr. Gump can somehow get more mobile order percentage he gets more money. So for every 2% over the 20% target he gets another $100K, up to another $5M. For every 2% under the 20% target his "target" bonus of $5M is REDUCED by $200K, so in theory if mobile order tanks he loses most of his bonus. This sounds good to Chapek (promise of potential future profit increases through less cashiers) so he sends Mr. Gump's Executive Compensation Plan to the Board and recommends approval. Since the Disney board looks like the old car commercials with the guy with the rubber stamp that says "approved, approved, approved..." the contract is cemented until the end of the fiscal year. The teleprompter for Mr. Chapek's next investor briefing will be set up to include some fluff that park guests love mobile ordering so we will focus on it more in 2021, and a few Photoshopped pictures of happy guests somehow juggling food and phones with pixie dust above them will be placed in the investor PowerPoint.

In this scenario that means if Mr. Gump can move the parks from 5% mobile order to 20% he gets $5M. BUT if he can magically find a way to get the parks to move at rocket speed from 5% of total orders being mobile last year to something ridiculous like 45% mobile this year - he personally pockets a doubled bonus.

So now what seemed like a reasonable objective that is probably in line with customer expectations, one in five orders going via mobile, suddenly turns into the person running the entire Foods category trying to use their entire organization of employees to manipulate you into getting a mobile order you don't want or need at the expense of everything else. This is why it suddenly looks like a good idea to remove cash registers, and PAY CAST MEMBERS TO STAND AT THE DOOR AND TELL YOU THAT YOU WILL HAVE A BAD EXPERIENCE AND LONG WAIT WITHOUT A MOBILE ORDER - when behind the doors is literally an empty restaurant, cooks and cashiers standing around doing nothing, and plummeting sales. Forget the "keys" of "courtesy" and "efficiency" because we need cast members to now actively tell you that if you won't mobile order you're going to be miserable waiting and should just starve or maybe eat a churro until you can get out of the park and eat elsewhere. But Mr. Gump is going to make Max Bonus.

This is Corporate America 2021 and I guarantee you there is something exactly like this set up for an executive somewhere at the parks.

I'm sure that this followed Mr. Gump's stellar tenure as VP of Foods where he brilliantly eliminated the cost of cup lids and straws, an act so amazing that it deserved promotion to Executive Vice President (EVP).

Next year's plan will probably include tray rental fees.

Comment

^ Bingo. And if anyone wonders how a Heinz 57 marketing executive became head of Disney Home Entertainment, then head of Disney Consumer Products, then head of Disney Parks and Resorts, then CEO of the entire Disney Company... that's how.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

^ Bingo. And if anyone wonders how a Heinz 57 marketing executive became head of Disney Home Entertainment, then head of Disney Consumer Products, then head of Disney Parks and Resorts, then CEO of the entire Disney Company... that's how.
                          It's a popular trend in generic, plastic Chief Executive Officers these days. To grow your business - instead of running great operations, providing great services and products the customer wants, building outstanding teams etc. - you have a leverage mentality.

If you pull a magic lever, like mobile orders, park reservations, etc. somehow those will do more to grow the business than good old fashioned hard work, quality, etc.

​​​

Comment

This weekend seems to show Disney can have their cake and eat it to

Aps are here and so are normal ticketed people, its crowded and sure they are making hand over fist money
                            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I’ve noticed the same as far as wait times until yesterday when it seemed busier.

However, Touring Plans predicted yesterday would be a 6/10 and it was actually a 5/10.

Considering a 5 was a pleasurable day before the closure, I am guessing the cap on APs was due more to staffing than actual capacity.

Comment

X2..........Amazing
                                Pay More and Get less !......
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I was just there this past weekend (sept. 5) and it was manageable! I park hopped and it really wasn't that bad. In fact, traffic was very light even getting there! Usually takes me about an hour/ hour and a half to get there. Arrived in 35 min. The 5 freeway was empty!

Inside the parks, it wasn't that bad. I felt like it was more busy in DTD. Although I did encounter a glitch on the app trying to secure a boarding pass for SW. I was still able to secure one for Spiderman at 12 pm. Did DLR first. The most I waited for an attraction was 40 min (Jungle Cruise) but it felt like 15 min! Oh and the HM was about the same (40-50 min wait). The time felt shorter as well. Over at DCA the most I waited for an attraction was about 50 min (GOTG) but that felt like 30 minutes.

Overall, it really wasn't that bad at all. I still heavily dislike the mobile ordering! Hahaha. Beside the warm 95 degree weather and a few grumpy cast members. Yes, I encountered a few! Even when I was polite and courteous. Oh well. I didn't let that ruin my time. They're getting paid to be there while I'm paying to be here
                                  Last edited by Mr_IvanStark; 09-07-2021, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownLoach View Post

In this fiscal year, if Mobile Order is 20% of total food orders than Mr. Gump gets his "target payout" of a $5M bonus. BUT, if Mr. Gump can somehow get more mobile order percentage he gets more money. So for every 2% over the 20% target he gets another $100K, up to another $5M. For every 2% under the 20% target his "target" bonus of $5M is REDUCED by $200K, so in theory if mobile order tanks he loses most of his bonus. This sounds good to Chapek (promise of potential future profit increases through less cashiers) so he sends Mr. Gump's Executive Compensation Plan to the Board and recommends approval. Since the Disney board looks like the old car commercials with the guy with the rubber stamp that says "approved, approved, approved..." the contract is cemented until the end of the fiscal year. The teleprompter for Mr. Chapek's next investor briefing will be set up to include some fluff that park guests love mobile ordering so we will focus on it more in 2021, and a few Photoshopped pictures of happy guests somehow juggling food and phones with pixie dust above them will be placed in the investor PowerPoint.

The real sad thing is often the compensation agreement does not have contingencies that the over all sales must maintain a certain level within a percentage of the previous year. If you have for arguments sake a 100 orders a year and 5 are Mobile and your target is 20% all you need to do is maintain your mobile order volume while eroding the walk up orders so once you are making 5 mobile orders to 15 walk up ( down from 95 ) Bingo bonus is coming because you will argue that the overall sales drop is not your fault as you helped your sales volume through the downturn. ( even though you likely caused it )

I have said it many times in the past corporate America has become addicted to yield over growth ( wall street is like heroin to corporate American ) Once they get that injection of easy money they become addicted to it until they are a rotting husks of their former selves.

Last edited by Starcade; 09-07-2021, 02:10 PM.
                                    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post

I have said it many times in the past corporate America has become addicted to yield over growth ( wall street is like heroin to corporate American ) Once they get that injection of easy money they become addicted to it until they are a rotting husks of their former selves.
                                      I have to Agree with you......Sadly

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X