Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone estimate when the trams might return?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone estimate when the trams might return?

Have heard a lot of complaints about the walk from the parking structures to the main gates. Just curious what is the key metric that would allow Disney to start trams again?

What I heard about...........TRAM
    It not going to be anytime soon ,if at all
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

They have to construct new facilities for them. Maintenance and permanent fueling stations. And they don't seem to be in any hurry after their plans changed for the new hotel a few years ago, resulting in the demolition of the brand new facilities that had just been built to make room for the Pixar parking garage. They're just not going to make this a priority until the entire DisneylandForward plans are solidified and they know where everything is going.

Personally I think they should just give up on trying to reuse the same old smoggy trams and replace them with electric units. Then they wouldn't need a new fueling facility. Electric can go anywhere and chargers can easily be moved, plus maintenance is minimal (new tires every now and then?). Highly explosive CNG powers the existing trams.
      ​​​​​​
      But these are the people who are using the Disney World Monorail trains that had a 20 year lifespan - and running them in their 35th or so year with just new carpet. They break down requiring evacuation daily. So a few new electric trams clearly will break the bank of Chapek.

They will keep saying that if you can't walk, are disabled etc then to use the Toy Story Lot. That is increasingly becoming a disaster. Today it took 45 minutes to get a bus to the parks and it wasn't even busy. Chapek payroll cuts clearly are in place so there weren't enough busses for a busy holiday. They even had cast members saying "it's only a 20 minute walk to the parks!". ONLY 20 minutes. Simply awful guest experience.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownLoach View Post
        They have to construct new facilities for them. Maintenance and permanent fueling stations. And they don't seem to be in any hurry after their plans changed for the new hotel a few years ago, resulting in the demolition of the brand new facilities that had just been built to make room for the Pixar parking garage. They're just not going to make this a priority until the entire DisneylandForward plans are solidified and they know where everything is going.
        The official proposals for DisneyFoward aren't going to be presented to the public til 2023. And even then, it's Disney's official pitch for DisneyFoward, not a guaranteed plan(look at how WestCot turned out).

I don't see the trams going AWOL for that long. I think they are either having severe matinence issues and are being overhauled/replaced. Or Disney suspended service because of Covid guidelines. The latter reason would explain why other "transportations"(like the Monorail or Red Car Trolley) have not returned.
        Last edited by Spongeocto4; 09-06-2021, 07:31 PM. Reason: Missing conjunctions

Comment

"No trams" is a 7-way win for Disney:
          - No need to pay drivers
          - No need to pay employees to train new drivers
          - No need to pay crowd control CMs at the loading queues
          - No need to pay maintenance workers
          - No need to pay for fuel
          - No need to pay for parts
          - No need to pay for operating insurance

And the biggest win of all: the customers don't care. Some complain, but it doesn't stop them from returning to DLR time and time again.

Bottom line: Disney has no motivation to resume tram service, and every motivation to not resume it.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
          - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
          - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
            - No need to pay drivers

And the biggest win of all: the customers don't care. Some complain, but it doesn't stop them from returning to DLR time and time again.

Bottom line: Disney has no motivation to resume tram service, and every motivation to not resume it.
            X 2 bottom line
            : Disney has no motivation to resume tram service
            It's a walk -and shop at downtown disney
            going and coming back...........
            parking garage...........
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

- No need to pay drivers

And they can keep pointing at the Toy Story Lot on Harbor for those who want transportation. (then fail to adequately schedule enough vehicles through the 3rd party vendor to save money).

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

The official proposals for DisneyFoward aren't going to be presented to the public til 2023. And even then, it's Disney's official pitch for DisneyFoward, not a guaranteed plan(look at how WestCot turned out).

I don't see the trams going AWOL for that long. I think they are either having severe matinence issues and are being overhauled/replaced. Or Disney suspended service because of Covid guidelines. The latter reason would explain why other "transportations"(like the Monorail or Red Car Trolley) have not returned.
                But again they do not have a maintenance facility at this time, nor a fueling station. The temporary facilities are gone, hence the fact they were temporary (and probably never should have been approved as they were). So unless they can get a new temporary facility approved somewhere on property there aren't going to be any trams. No new building is going up only for plans to change and get demolished AGAIN. It has nothing to do with COVID. It's a combination of cheapness and a complete lack of strategic leadership planning.

Comment

- No need to pay drivers

If only there was no need to pay chapek. ( Oh I know we have all paid for chapek and his destruction )

Disney had a very easy option to appease guests they are simply choosing not to use it. The bus fleet could be split between Toy Story and the parking garages as they can bring back more buses and the buses can make the tram route as all the lanes are both wide enough and the turnarounds are even larger.

This is no longer just a "trams are broke and we can't fix it" negligence. They are obviously making a choice to neglect help for their guests to save a buck.
                  Last edited by Starcade; 09-07-2021, 08:10 AM.
                  Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

- No need to pay drivers

Some customers do care. I will not return on a daily basis until the trams return. After a long day the walk back to Mickey & Friends for an 80 year old is not in the plan. As for Covid, riding in an open tram vs a closed bus? No decision here.

Comment

Originally posted by AhpalovestheDuck View Post
                      Some customers do care. I will not return on a daily basis until the trams return. After a long day the walk back to Mickey & Friends for an 80 year old is not in the plan. As for Covid, riding in an open tram vs a closed bus? No decision here.
                      Amen. Unfortunately, those of us who love Disneyland but are voting No with our wallets are a tiny minority -- and Disney management knows it.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by AhpalovestheDuck View Post

You normally visit daily?
                        "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post

If only there was no need to pay chapek. ( Oh I know we have all paid for chapek and his destruction )

Disney had a very easy option to appease guests they are simply choosing not to use it. The bus fleet could be split between Toy Story and the parking garages as they can bring back more buses and the buses can make the tram route as all the lanes are both wide enough and the turnarounds are even larger.

This is no longer just a "trams are broke and we can't fix it" negligence. They are obviously making a choice to neglect help for their guests to save a buck.
                          And... Instead they watched idly as the original Toy Story bus fleet of LNG powered units was scrapped. They clearly did not get enough of the new electric busses to handle the volume from Toy Story, and based on the fact that those are now 100% operated by Anaheim Resort Transit with the costs reimbursed by Disney - I don't believe there is any way to get a bus fleet set up for the garages without the purchase of more vehicles. It looks like they only have 20 of the new electric busses and they're sometimes using the half sized ART units to fill in at times. I believe they had at least 60 of the previous busses, which were former OCTA units that were only put into service in the early 2000's and seeing far fewer miles daily driving between the two parks than they would have been under OCTA.

I wonder if Disney is trying to see if they can outsource the tram operation as well? Maybe they can get a third party vendor to take it over. They could disconnect the tractors and take them off site at the end of the night for refueling and repairs. Disney could provide parking somewhere for the trailer units without building any kind of maintenance facility. (The most a trailer would need is a lift for changing tires occasionally). Plus they would be off the hook for benefits, union relations etc. and wouldn't have to build a new facility on the property which is the current excuse. (The history is the original fueling and maintenance facility was displaced by Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge construction, so they built a new one next to the Mickey and Friends Garage. Then the parking and hotel plans were scrapped and the brand new facilities were demolished to build the new Pixar garage. No new facility was built and now the temporary facilities are gone)

I wonder if they wait long enough with the tram operation discontinued and the employees gone - if the Union contracts just go away and they become free to do what they want with subcontractors? If there are no Union workers doing the job, and nobody else is doing the job either, then there isn't really a Union to deal with?
                          Last edited by ClownLoach; 09-07-2021, 11:49 AM.

Comment

In fact they're so short on bus units that they are back to driving the strange prototype unit that had Chinese gauges and buttons for the driver to decipher. It's a very strange bus with a five digit 'bus number.'. I believe the battery life was minimal on that unit, less than 200 miles per charge.

Comment

When they feel it's costing them money to not have trams is when you will see them.
                              Last edited by tarheelalum; 09-07-2021, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I wanted to say something about this in this week's Disneyland Update, but we get so many complaints when we complain it's just not worth it. So, I will complain here.

The parking situation at the resort just sucks - big time. If you park at M&F you have a mile walk each way. If you park at Toy Story you can potentially wait an hour for a bus, and when you get in that bus there's no AC. No, I am not joking or exaggerating. I rode the bus from Toy Story on Saturday afternoon at 4pm. The outside temp was 97. When I got off the bus the air felt at least 10 degrees cooler, and there was no breeze so that was not the reason why. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and just said the problem was because of the direct sunlight. When I rode the bus back at 8:15 I had the same problem. It was miserably hot inside, and it felt 10 to 15 degrees cooler when I got off the bus.

I am just going to pay to park somewhere else. I'm not putting up with this nonsense. If you choose to, that's fine. It's your choice. I refuse to do it any more.

There is NO reason why a company worth billions of dollars can't pay to fix their trams. Any excuses translate to greed and management's unwillingness to provide even the most basic customer service. It absolutely sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
                                  I wanted to say something about this in this week's Disneyland Update, but we get so many complaints when we complain it's just not worth it. So, I will complain here.

The parking situation at the resort just sucks - big time. If you park at M&F you have a mile walk each way. If you park at Toy Story you can potentially wait an hour for a bus, and when you get in that bus there's no AC. No, I am not joking or exaggerating. I rode the bus from Toy Story on Saturday afternoon at 4pm. The outside temp was 97. When I got off the bus the air felt at least 10 degrees cooler, and there was no breeze so that was not the reason why. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and just said the problem was because of the direct sunlight. When I rode the bus back at 8:15 I had the same problem. It was miserably hot inside, and it felt 10 to 15 degrees cooler when I got off the bus.

I am just going to pay to park somewhere else. I'm not putting up with this nonsense. If you choose to, that's fine. It's your choice. I refuse to do it any more.

There is NO reason why a company worth billions of dollars can't pay to fix their trams. Any excuses translate to greed and management's unwillingness to provide even the most basic customer service. It absolutely sucks.
                                  So much this!!!
                                  Big Thunder Ranch > Galaxys Edge

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post

So what do you do with a handicapped placard? My father was just issued one and is accompanying us this weekend. I had read they have wheelchair rentals at the garage but it would just be simpler to be able to park closer.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThunda View Post

So much this!!!
                                      I concur!

I hadn't realized they had cut the bus fleet. Holy heck what the fudge are they thinking. Wonder what they do the first time a guests collapses trying to make it back to their car. When Knott's has superior parking ( they use a dirt lot across the street for many. ) then you are failing your customers big time.

The original trams were literally Airport luggage tractors. There are tons of options in this pulling tractor world electric power as well as natural gas options. I do not buy the "we just don't want to make another temporary fueling station" excuse something far nefarious is happening. Somebody somewhere is doing somebody a favor they shouldn't be.
                                      Last edited by Starcade; 09-08-2021, 09:18 AM.
                                      Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

5 months in, after reopening, and their only option to get to the theme parks from the parking structures is to walk! How pathetic, idiotic, and embarrassing!
                                        Big Thunder Ranch > Galaxys Edge

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X