Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should DCA Finally Get a Name Change?

This has been a debate for a while, and I'd thought I'd bring it up again. Should Disney's California Adventure still go with the original name or is it finally time for a name change.

This wouldn't be the first time it's happened as Disney/MGM Studios would eventually become Disney Hollywood Studios. Of course, that's because that park shifted away from the studio theme into more of "Ride Disney's Movies...with a slight Hollywood theme".

With DCA...it's gotten difficult.

When the park opened in 2001, it was always meant to be a tribute to the state of California and the design, though cheap and more focused on stores, still reflected a continuous idea of a condensed walkthrough. You could see the reflections of Hollywood, San Fransisco and even the Redwoods. '

As of 2021, the park is caught in a tug of war between a past that wanted to keep the California theme with new IP with current management that wants to go in on themed lands, regardless if theres anything California about it (Yes Avengers Campus, I'm talking about you!). Individual lands can look great, but when you consider the flowing aesthetic as a whole, it's kind of a Frankenstein monster of ideas. You now go from past Grizzly Peak and a forest looking area...to a very bougie and modern looking complex...back to a San Fransisco Fisherman's Wharf...to a very tacky Pier with consistent Pixar characters slapped on the the walls (Sorry, not sorry, but I really don't care for the design of Pixar Place).

Years ago, I remembered when people were throwing the name Pixar Place as a replacement...but with the addition to a Marvel Land, now they can't.

My prediction is that we're not gonna see any new additions with the California theme in favor of more established IP based experiences. But with that In mind, is it time for a new name?

How about... "Parking Lot"?

Comment

IP Kingdom

Comment

Tricky one. One the surface, a simple name change seems like it would be the quick fix. However, doing so then creates a scenario where the would-be "California" remnants of the parks make less sense. So the question could be, "What is Disney more willing to invest in adjusting?". Because they could simply keep the current park name and instead just be more flex about what "California Adventure" means and adjust their attraction offerings to reflect the new hybrid meaning.

For example, they could keep the name "Disney California Adventure" and spin it to basically mean "Disney Adventures you can only have in California" (filling the park with rides and shows that don't exist elsewhere to sell it as totally unique) + a general celebration of the state/it's people and culture here and there. Either direction would lead to the removal/adjustment of several attractions but this one feels like it would be a direction current Disney management would most likely agree to.

Attractions that would need to be removed or re-worked in this scenario would be: PhilharMagic, Turtle Talk, Toy Story Midway Mania, Little Mermaid and Soarin' (or close the clone attractions down in the other parks). Soarin' already becomes the more popular "Soarin' Over California" at-will and 3 out of 4 of the others are already screen-based offerings. Just something I wish they'd think about.

But as much as it's fun to talk about, the honest, sad and most realistic scenario we will face is: it's just the park that no longer tries to make any sort of sense whatsoever because screw it. Name be damned.

Comment

"Acquisitionsland" would be fairly honest, I think.
          Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

DCA = Disney's Chapek Acquisition

Comment

DRL.....Disney Ripoff Land

That Other Park

Disneys FPL........Former Parking Lot

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
                DCA = Disney's Chapek Acquisition
                That what coming too !........
                I agree

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Or just California's Disney Adventure
                  Last edited by rld275501; 09-08-2021, 02:49 PM. Reason: changed it to more likely option
                  2012-2015 Era DCA rides/attractions we went on regularly:
                  Soarin' Over California
                  Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
                  Radiator Springs Racers
                  Grizzly River Run
                  California Screamin'
                  Aladdin-A Musical Spectacular

2019 Era-Present DCA rides/attractions we go on regularly:
                  Grizzly River Run
                  Radiator Springs Racers
                  Incredicoaster

Comment

I think the New Name should be
                    Chapek $-Advertisement Bill Boards-$ Adventure
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Taking a serious attempt at this, maybe something like Disney Beyond or Disneyverse?

Please check out my website too!

Comment

Disney+® Park

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                          Disney+® Park

M E M O

TO: Ken Potrock
                          SUBJECT: DCA Name Change

Ken,

That merlinjohns guy on MouseChit or whatever it's called is on to something. Disney+® Park looks good on a poster, and has the additional benefit of expanding our brand inclusivity range while appealing to the California-phobic portion of our non-local demographic yield. Add a to "Park" and send it to Publicity for a press announcement.

Bob

P.S. One of those old Walt-era guys at WDI says mervinjones is a Disney© movie character. Tell Feige I want to see a pitch on a sequel. Put that Rock guy in the lead.

P.P.S. Stick Scarlet Johnsson in the female lead. That'll shut her up.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                          - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                          - Bob Chapek

Comment

^^Post of the year.

Comment

I like one of the original ideas from the 90's:

Eureka!

Comment

They should call it Disney Afternoon and theme to all the Disney afternoon cartoons that are very popular with Millennials. Plus let's face it you can do the whole park in an afternoon.

The reality though is they should call it Disney Park Lite. When you make a spread sheet listing the attractions at DLR and then next to it you list DCA and you realize they charge the same to visit each park you see there is only one things more exploitive than DLR and that is DCA.
                                Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

DCA- The Half Day Park With The Full Day Price. (under constant construction)
                                  My wife is the rebel spy.

Comment

DCA is the Hollywood Studios of Disneyland. How I managed to spend a full day at Hollywood Studios, I will never know. I spent most of my time at Galaxy's Edge and ToT. We didn't park hop on that trip so we were stuck in one park each day but ended up filling our time to make the most out of it with leisurely meals, repeating attractions, and shopping/browsing.
                                    I would never do the one park per day ticket (if that still exists) at Disneyland. If I can't park hop, that's not worth it for me.

Facebook me!
                                    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

DCA's name was already changed. It was originally Disney's California Adventure. Now it's just Disney California Adventure. They just removed the 's.

As naive millennial who grew up alongside DCA, I will go against the MC grind, and voice my support to keep the name. Is it a hodgepodge of a park? Yes, but my nostalgia is clouding my judgment.

If they wanted a new name, they could shorten it down to Disney Adventures. This would be a nice homage to the long running kid's magazine of the 90s-2000s.

Comment

Originally posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
                                        DCA is the Hollywood Studios of Disneyland. How I managed to spend a full day at Hollywood Studios, I will never know. I spent most of my time at Galaxy's Edge and ToT. We didn't park hop on that trip so we were stuck in one park each day but ended up filling our time to make the most out of it with leisurely meals, repeating attractions, and shopping/browsing.
                                        I would never do the one park per day ticket (if that still exists) at Disneyland. If I can't park hop, that's not worth it for me.
                                        I think the normal strategy for filling a Hollywood Studios day is that you spend like 70% of your time waiting in the lines.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X