Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Accessing Tickets in App

Over the last three visits, I have had a problem with accessing my Magic Key tickets on my phone. I have virtually no service from T-Mobile and the Disney WiFi is abhorrent. Last night we were in line and the family of four in front of us was asked to leave the line because they couldn't get their tickets to display on their phones.

Since my family were having similar issues, I took a screen shot of the pass (with barcode) and printed it out just in case. We used the printout for parking, admission to both parks, and a food discount at Plaza Inn without any issues.

However, at DCA, we were purchasing cookies at Trolly Treats, and she asked if we had an Annual Pass - my wife whipped out her phone - no access - so she took out the printout. The cast member said she wasn't allowed to accept it. So she called her manager, who was very nice, but explained that it had to be 'Disney Issued" to be valid. She then suggested we exit the park, go to a ticket booth and request a temporary paper printout of our pass, which we could then bring back into the park and get the discount. We didn't want to hold up the line so we left - the lady behind us held up her blank screen and said she had the same problem.

I was curious as to whether this was going to be a trend throughout the resort or just an isolated incident. In the meantime, I took a screen shot at home of my pass and used a program called Photo Shortcut on my Android phone to assign the screenshot so that I could get to it readily without an internet signal. I'm sure there's a way to do that in iOS as well.

Anyone else have issues like this, and if so, what solutions have you been successful with?
    Last edited by pjhorton21; 09-10-2021, 06:46 AM.

There have been a lot of reported glitches with the Magic Keys. I say report as many issues as you can, and cross your fingers that Disney fixes it.

It's a terrible situation to be in. I'm too proud to spend $20 on a paper pass, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
      There have been a lot of reported glitches with the Magic Keys. I say report as many issues as you can, and cross your fingers that Disney fixes it.

It's a terrible situation to be in. I'm too proud to spend $20 on a paper pass, lol.
      GEEEEEEE...........
      Not hire-and Glitches, sure goes together with Disney.....
      But always someone on line to fill in the sale........no lose to Di$ney.

I agree it is a tick-off situation......But once again Disney don't care !
      IMO
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

There was a rumor here that some folks have gotten their first paper pass for free.
        Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by sailor310 View Post

There was a rumor here that some folks have gotten their first paper pass for free.
          Yeah, I saw that too. It seems like a gamble, sort of like asking for ticket refunds.

I liken the experience to asking your mom if you can have dessert, being told no, and then going straight to dad to ask the same question hoping for a different outcome... but with CM's.

Comment

They charge for a paper pass? No wonder their system is glitchy. I wouldn’t hold my breath for any improvements soon.

Comment

Also not sure if anyone has noticed but on the most recent update of the Disneyland app for Android - they have enabled changing barcodes. It doesn't change every time you open the app, but I have watched the bar code change which means the old one is invalidated. We were linking tickets with a friend who sent a screenshot of their ticket from the Android app and it would not link it. They sent a new one taken at that moment and it did work. This is similar to the new tickets for baseball and football which change every minute to eliminate fraud. This is going to result in screenshots not working as there are additional digits in the barcodes that change.

There have already been some folks who are trying to make their own "AP Cards" that I have seen in the park. I saw someone who had their old Disneyland AP card and they printed a screenshot of their Magic key barcode on sticker paper and applied it to the back. Saw someone else who made what looked like a large luggage tag with their barcode. These folks are going to be sorely disappointed.

​​​None of these are going to work. Wouldn't it be nice if they installed a working customer Wi-Fi system like they did in Orlando? Especially with the introduction of changing barcodes?

As far as wireless coverage goes, all three big carriers have announced deadlines where their old networks will be turned off and they'll only be 4GLTE or 5G. What they haven't mentioned is that those deadlines, which are in the next few months, are the dates that the last few towers will be taken offline for conversion to 5G - they've already taken tens of thousands of towers offline. And many 4GLTE towers are also already being upgraded to 5G early. When your phone screen says 4GLTE or 5G that just means that is the highest speed network you're connected to at that time. But many times you are connected to multiple networks and dropping back to the least congested which could be 3G or even 2G despite what the screen says. Those are being turned off right now. This is now the equivalent of your car with a 6 speed transmission where suddenly gears 1 through 4 don't work anymore and 6th gear is going to be enabled "soon" but you don't have it yet. Thus explains why the OP says that they can't use T-Mobile at all, but my new T-Mobile phone gets phenomenal reception and data speed at Disneyland because it has all of the 5G radio bands. If you don't have the latest 5G phones with all the different variants (bands) then you can expect terrible reception is headed your way regardless of your carrier. And the worst thing is that many of the first phones marketed as 5G won't support all the variants being introduced, so they really aren't 5G phones.

5G is not really a new technology, it is just reusing their old frequencies with better data compression which means higher speeds in buildings. (In other words 5G is just marketing BS). Lower frequency radio waves were slower before but they always went through walls. Higher frequency radio waves were faster but had a lower distance. Now they have figured out how to use the older low frequency radio waves in a digital compressed format (5G). So when this conversion is done by all three carriers and customers have replaced their phones everything should be faster.

However, if you have not already upgraded to a 5G phone from your carrier then you'll discover that your reception everywhere is going to get worse every single day. Today will be worse than yesterday, and tomorrow will be worse than today guaranteed. And the most popular phone, the iPhone, was last to the market with 5G so there are tens of millions of people who need this forced upgrade or suddenly their phone that currently can talk to many different radio waves will be down to just one (4GLTE) and then the reception will be terrible.
              Last edited by ClownLoach; 09-10-2021, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownLoach View Post
                ...As far as wireless coverage goes, all three big carriers have announced deadlines where their old networks will be turned off and they'll only be 4GLTE or 5G. What they haven't mentioned is that those deadlines, which are in the next few months, are the dates that the last few towers will be taken offline for conversion to 5G - they've already taken tens of thousands of towers offline. And many 4GLTE towers are also already being upgraded to 5G early. When your phone screen says 4GLTE or 5G that just means that is the highest speed network you're connected to at that time. But many times you are connected to multiple networks and dropping back to the least congested which could be 3G or even 2G despite what the screen says. Those are being turned off right now. This is now the equivalent of your car with a 6 speed transmission where suddenly gears 1 through 4 don't work anymore and 6th gear is going to be enabled "soon" but you don't have it yet. Thus explains why the OP says that they can't use T-Mobile at all, but my new T-Mobile phone gets phenomenal reception and data speed at Disneyland because it has all of the 5G radio bands. If you don't have the latest 5G phones with all the different variants (bands) then you can expect terrible reception is headed your way regardless of your carrier. And the worst thing is that many of the first phones marketed as 5G won't support all the variants being introduced, so they really aren't 5G phones.

5G is not really a new technology, it is just reusing their old frequencies with better data compression which means higher speeds in buildings. (In other words 5G is just marketing BS). Lower frequency radio waves were slower before but they always went through walls. Higher frequency radio waves were faster but had a lower distance. Now they have figured out how to use the older low frequency radio waves in a digital compressed format (5G). So when this conversion is done by all three carriers and customers have replaced their phones everything should be faster.

However, if you have not already upgraded to a 5G phone from your carrier then you'll discover that your reception everywhere is going to get worse every single day. Today will be worse than yesterday, and tomorrow will be worse than today guaranteed. And the most popular phone, the iPhone, was last to the market with 5G so there are tens of millions of people who need this forced upgrade or suddenly their phone that currently can talk to many different radio waves will be down to just one (4GLTE) and then the reception will be terrible.
                Exactly.

And of course Disney, being at the cutting edge of technology and always concerned with doing what's best for its customers, foresaw the traffic jams during this 5G transition period, and made sure not to overload customers' phones with apps.

Oh, wait....

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Exactly.

And of course Disney, being at the cutting edge of technology and always concerned with doing what's best for its customers, foresaw the traffic jams during this 5G transition period, and made sure not to overload customers' phones with apps.

Oh, wait....

Exactly. 5G is such a mess it could have been designed by Bob Chapek.

​​​​​AT&T 5G, Verizon 5G and T-Mobile 5G all use completely different frequencies. When 4GLTE came out at least everyone was on the same page. Not this time. And trying to find exactly what 5G variants each phone has is nearly impossible, you pretty much have to download a PDF of the owners manual and call your carrier to ask which ones they're using. It is amazing that certain carriers are selling phones where the majority of the 5G bands they're using are NOT on every phone they sell. Yes that means that Verizon could actually sell you a phone that works better on T-Mobile than their own network (if you got it unlocked to work on a different carrier that is).

What is complete comedy is the crazy people who think 5G is some kind of mind control system, or somehow spreads viruses, etc. It is literally the oldest radio waves that the carriers still have access to, converted from analog to digital. There aren't any new radio waves being turned on that haven't been used in the last 25+ years.

​​​​​Again 5G isn't really even a thing. It's a marketing term that is enabling phone companies to turn off towers and force you to buy a new phone at your expense to access the new reduced networks. It is the biggest cash grab in decades for the phone companies, and it is enabling the further decline of American wireless service quality, which is already decades behind other countries.

Comment

Secret government photos show the human body's reactions to various phone company marketing schemes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	spacemen_gallery_03_HzpxPzL.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.0 KB ID:	8646818

1 - Before smartphones.
                    2 - 1G
                    3 - 2G
                    4 - 3G
                    5 - 4G
                    6 - 5G
                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Same reactions ,I have from my phone company !

LOL.........

I have to rid of my old phone last Nov.
                      because -the phone was 3G which the career , was not going to deal with anymore....
                      There was no choose
                      I decide go smart phone.....and learn all new again.....
                      Last edited by Eagleman; 09-10-2021, 04:04 PM.
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Thanks for all the information on cell towers, never knew.
                        I have never heard of the barcode changing - does anyone have any idea how often? I guess taking a screen shot the day of your visit will be a common occurrence. The admission lines are deathly slow as is because of the pictures that must be taken on first visits, but I have been in lines where they don't move for minutes - I'm assuming it's a connection issue where people can't or don't know how to get the tickets to display.
                        This would also explain why they don't issue cards anymore.
                        Here's the bottom line as I see it: The photo verification doesn't work (the cast members aren't and shouldn't be TSA). Isn't the real solution to go with fingerprint readers like they have a WDW? Then they don't have to change the barcodes, and they would eliminate fraudulent use of the passes. But that would cost Disney money, which under the supreme leadership of Bob isn't going to happen. Let's see...do we spend money to make the guest experience better, or do we save money and watch them squirm at the gates? Ugh!

Comment

Originally posted by pjhorton21 View Post
                          Thanks for all the information on cell towers, never knew.
                          I have never heard of the barcode changing - does anyone have any idea how often? I guess taking a screen shot the day of your visit will be a common occurrence. The admission lines are deathly slow as is because of the pictures that must be taken on first visits, but I have been in lines where they don't move for minutes - I'm assuming it's a connection issue where people can't or don't know how to get the tickets to display.
                          This would also explain why they don't issue cards anymore.
                          Here's the bottom line as I see it: The photo verification doesn't work (the cast members aren't and shouldn't be TSA). Isn't the real solution to go with fingerprint readers like they have a WDW? Then they don't have to change the barcodes, and they would eliminate fraudulent use of the passes. But that would cost Disney money, which under the supreme leadership of Bob isn't going to happen. Let's see...do we spend money to make the guest experience better, or do we save money and watch them squirm at the gates? Ugh!
                          Actually they had disabled the fingerprint readers at WDW and were testing fancy new facial recognition machines, but I'm guessing that wasn't a great option with masks (it did say to leave your mask on if you were wearing one, but I would imagine that different shapes and sizes of masks worn subsequently could interfere with such a system just like glasses do). They just turned the fingerprint readers back on for now. I'm assuming that they will roll out facial recognition once the pandemic is done. The WDW fingerprint readers do not work well at all and are very old technology that is already at the end of its expected lifetime.

The problem with a move towards mobile only ticketing is that it is much easier to cheat with manipulated screenshots etc. I am not sure exactly what is being changed on the bar code or how often it happens but sometimes you will pull up the app and see it load then change in a brief flash after about two seconds. I don't think Disney is going to give details since those would help defeat whatever security mechanism they are implementing.

Comment

Mr. Wiggins...

Great photos of Col. John Stapp, testing deceleration...going from 636 mi/hr to zero in 1.25 seconds. As you mentioned, probably thinking about his phone plan.

Comment

As a Magic Key member, I can state that I have experienced an issue with the virtual queue

two days ago when I was at Disneyland
                              i signed up for the VQ for SW at 12
                              45 minutes before my queue was called
                              the person I was with was kicked off the queue for SW

The cast member at the ride stated it was a recurring issue and they allowed us to go through

i can only imagine if I had traveled a long distance and was there for only a day or if that was my last day visiting how devastating that would be

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X