Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magic Key holders already abusing the reservation system?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Key holders already abusing the reservation system?

I've been noticing a trend already happening. The weekends are becoming sold out very quickly, even with schools now back in session. This got me wondering if Magic Key holders are starting to reserve every weekend, and canceling the night before if they decide not to go. I can see this being a big problem in the future. The policy states you can cancel before midnight, day prior, without any penalty.

Are Magic Key holders going to start hoarding weekends, even if they may not go?
    "If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

If this is true then there should be reservations available Friday and Saturday nights for the next day (due to cancellations). I'm sure there are some cancellations but I'd bet a large majority of reservations are being used.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamsofColor View Post
      ...Are Magic Key holders going to start hoarding weekends, even if they may not go?
      If Disney management were smart, they would have made sure the Magic Key reservation system had a method of identifying hoarders and blocking them from gaming the system.

If they were smart.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

If Disney management were smart, they would have made sure the Magic Key reservation system had a method of identifying hoarders and blocking them from gaming the system.

If they were smart.

IMO- I think Disney don't care.....as long they got the people!
        and that what they built in , over all with the reservations system............
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Some are theorizing that Disney opens reservation buckets closer to days that appear "booked" to give day-ticket purchasers the priority.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
            Some are theorizing that Disney opens reservation buckets closer to days that appear "booked" to give day-ticket purchasers the priority.

I see that happening........
            If Disney going keep sale-ing Day/Days Admission and park hopper......
            INTERESTING......how Disney going work the system..... $ for there good $
            IMO
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I'd have assumed that there would be a separate AP reservation 'bucket' like there is at WDW. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Do I think that APs would reserve the weekends on a 'contingency basis'. Sure. Do I think it's considerate of others for them to do it? No, it's selfish. I wouldn't call it 'abusing the system' though as DL is allowing them to do it, one may even see them as encouraging it in the way they've set up the system. All TPTB wants is bodies in the park, that's why they included a 'penalty' (such as it is) on 'no shows'. They don't care how they get in or who they are.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I've seen some days that Key Holders can reserve the day tickets are sold out. Sad that you can't just go to Disneyland for a day as the locals fill the park. Went to downtown Disney the other day and I could see most going in were locals. I think I'm staying away for awhile and avoid hour long popcorn lines due to special buckets I'm sure to return and such. Probably would never have a chance to ride the new star wars ride either if I went since I can't get there until 2pm or so anyway. sad how it is there now.

Comment

I have already seen booked dates suddenly reopen just a few days before I read a report on Labor Day weekend that many Magic Key holders were furious that the weekend was already booked even for top tier passes and suddenly they were once again availible

Comment

IMO- to much games with the reservation system.........
                    Something I not going deal with........
                    IMO
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I don't know if it was ever confirmed, but back when FlexPass premiered, there was a rumor of "internal tiers" based on passholder behaviour. Obviously those who reserve, then miss 3 times during 90 days get blocked out for a month; but th rumor was that there was SOME type of metric, hidden from guests, that would block some passholders before others. Supposedly based off how often they go, when they check in, purchases, canceling the next day, etc.

It was never confirmed. EXPLICITLY a rumor, and no one could boil down WHAT might positively or negatively affect tiering. But assuming there WAS something like that back then, and it wasn't people jumping to conclusions, what's the likelihood that the current system might also have a hidden tier system? And those reserving and canceling the night before might suddenly find themselves booked up on days that other passholders aren't?

Comment

Originally posted by SkunkID View Post
                        I don't know if it was ever confirmed, but back when FlexPass premiered, there was a rumor of "internal tiers" based on passholder behaviour. Obviously those who reserve, then miss 3 times during 90 days get blocked out for a month; but th rumor was that there was SOME type of metric, hidden from guests, that would block some passholders before others. Supposedly based off how often they go, when they check in, purchases, canceling the next day, etc.
                        Disney does have the tools, to keep track on such information ........
                        how they use it.....well?

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I have no doubt that Disney 'fiddles' with the calendars as needed, moving days from one to the other based on reservations and usage by tickets vs AP vs onsite guests (if they have all 3 buckets) As far as a 'hidden' algorithm that automatically opens/closes dates on an individual basis based on past usage or no shows, IDK, that sounds a bit 'conspiracy theory-ish' to me. The 'no show' penalty is 'built in' I'm sure. And I would say that I'm sure there are usage 'alert' metrics built in, so I'm sure they do get data reports on no-shows, frequency of visits, etc by zip codes, ages, pass type etc. I'm just not sure alerts pop up saying "Danger danger, XX has used their pass 12 times in the last 2 weeks" or whatever.

I think it's too bad that Disney feels it has to be so opaque about all of this. They'd probably get more guest and pass holder cooperation and abiding by rules if they were a wee bit more open about what they're 'tracking'. Even the CHP will often announce 'zero tolerance' dates and areas ahead of time.
                          "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by SkunkID View Post

It was never confirmed. EXPLICITLY a rumor, and no one could boil down WHAT might positively or negatively affect tiering. But assuming there WAS something like that back then, and it wasn't people jumping to conclusions, what's the likelihood that the current system might also have a hidden tier system? And those reserving and canceling the night before might suddenly find themselves booked up on days that other passholders aren't?
                            Wouldn't this be easy to check amongst all the thousands of pass holders that know each other?
                            Scenario: "Hey, Bill, I know you don't use your pass much, can you check real quick and see if YOU can get a reservation for next Thursday? Oh, you can? Huh...nope it's still blocked for me."

I don't see how Disney could keep this quiet..., but I think passholder should definitely compare notes. Come on everybody, we figured out which Fastpass kiosks weren't linked to the entire system didn't we? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by nostalgic View Post

Wouldn't this be easy to check amongst all the thousands of pass holders that know each other?
                              Scenario: "Hey, Bill, I know you don't use your pass much, can you check real quick and see if YOU can get a reservation for next Thursday? Oh, you can? Huh...nope it's still blocked for me."

I don't see how Disney could keep this quiet..., but I think passholder should definitely compare notes. Come on everybody, we figured out which Fastpass kiosks weren't linked to the entire system didn't we? ;-)
                              I believe this is the rumor started. Friends and family members with flex pass, noticing some of them.could make same day reservations while some couldn't. Of course, it's VERY easy for people to scream "my cousin was free to reserve, but I wasn't. What gives?" And said cousin made reservations days in advance but started it all by lying or not specifying exactly what happens, until people are complaining about it on twitter and Facebook groups.

Comment

A couple things here:
                                1) the reservation system buckets allocation by pass and day ticket type, so if APers are booking up far in advance, they're only hoarding availability from other APers.
                                2) As the day and date approach, people do change their schedules, but most availability change you're seeing is Disney's algorithms kicking in. They know buying habits and, if they see that maybe nobody's buying day tickets for a certain day, they'll open up availability to APers. If they see there's at ton of day ticket purchases, I wouldn't be surprised if they shrunk AP availability (they should).
                                3) They've actually gotten so sophisticated at #2 that in WDW they have "bonus" days where APers can book certain parks and not count those bookings against their overall allotment - a way to encourage balancing attendance across their parks.

Comment

Originally posted by savarese04 View Post
                                  A couple things here:
                                  1) the reservation system buckets allocation by pass and day ticket type, so if APers are booking up far in advance, they're only hoarding availability from other APers.
                                  2) As the day and date approach, people do change their schedules, but most availability change you're seeing is Disney's algorithms kicking in. They know buying habits and, if they see that maybe nobody's buying day tickets for a certain day, they'll open up availability to APers. If they see there's at ton of day ticket purchases, I wouldn't be surprised if they shrunk AP availability (they should).
                                  3) They've actually gotten so sophisticated at #2 that in WDW they have "bonus" days where APers can book certain parks and not count those bookings against their overall allotment - a way to encourage balancing attendance across their parks.
                                  All make sense to me.......I was not sure , But knew that Disney, had system!
                                  that why people can see ,no availability at one monument,
                                  and other time see available .....when they check again,
                                  The system change
                                  also How Disney keep a balancing attendance across their parks!

So it's always a Win for Disney!...matter what......
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Wait....what?????? You mean that a system that could be made to cater to self-entitled snobs is being abused by self-entitled snobs..........no way!! They'd never game the system to their advantage...........

Comment

Originally posted by DreamsofColor View Post
                                      I've been noticing a trend already happening. The weekends are becoming sold out very quickly, even with schools now back in session. This got me wondering if Magic Key holders are starting to reserve every weekend, and canceling the night before if they decide not to go. I can see this being a big problem in the future. The policy states you can cancel before midnight, day prior, without any penalty.

Are Magic Key holders going to start hoarding weekends, even if they may not go?

Are the Key Holders gaming the system, or is Disney gaming the Key Holders? Look at it from corporate Disney's POV. They already have the Key holder's money and Disney clearly considers people who buy into their membership programs as less desirable than those who pay the gate prices. Also Disney still has imposed limits on attendance, so maybe they are limiting Key Holders reservations and waiting until the last minute so they have plenty of availability for the day guests, who they value more than key holders, to make a reservation.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post

Are the Key Holders gaming the system, or is Disney gaming the Key Holders? Look at it from corporate Disney's POV. They already have the Key holder's money and Disney clearly considers people who buy into their membership programs as less desirable than those who pay the gate prices. Also Disney still has imposed limits on attendance, so maybe they are limiting Key Holders reservations and waiting until the last minute so they have plenty of availability for the day guests, who they value more than key holders, to make a reservation.
                                        Laughing...because You are so RIGHT!....and I Agree
                                        They already have the Key holder's money-$$$$.00 (I was thinking same yesterday , with some else post)
                                        Yep you can bet - Disney have control reservations system >were they making the MONEY both admission's!

AP's and reservation don't mix well ,with the consumers
                                        Disney work the system..... $ For there Good $
                                        IMO
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X