Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obviously very sick guests ignored by Cast Members

On Labor Day I noticed a drastic uptick in guests who were obviously ill and showing symptoms of COVID-19. If you know anyone who has had COVID-19, or have had it yourself, then you will recognize the deep, gasping, "death rattle" cough that is distinctively different from bronchitis or pneumonia. I heard it dozens of times, and even observed guests who were so out of breath after such a long coughing spell that they couldn't keep walking and removed their masks to get a breath of air. These guests clearly are so ill that their blood oxygen levels are dangerously low and they are likely already in need of medical attention (to be put on oxygen). It is highly likely that they were infected with the virus and are highly infectious to the general public.

It is completely and totally obvious that these guests displaying these symptoms are in violation of what are still valid health orders (if you are displaying symptoms of COVID-19 you are not to enter public places). It was even worse Friday. I saw at least half a dozen guests just in the patio area of the Pym restaurant at DCA who were violently coughing and very ill. This area is heavily patrolled by Cast Members assigned to clear tables.
    ​​​​​​What is the most concerning issue is that Cast Members were present at least a dozen times when I saw a very sick guest. They do not take any action whatsoever. I am not sure if they have been told to just allow them to spread their viral load all over the park and stay away so they don't get infected - but this clearly is not appropriate and is putting the health of guests and Cast Members at risk. About a month ago I was at Knott's and saw a guest have a similar likely COVID coughing fit and a park employee did veer off their path and addressed the guest at a safe distance and specifically stated "Ma'am, you are coughing which is a possible sign of COVID. If you are displaying symptoms you need to leave the park today."

This is a twofold issue. First, I think as the spread continues there should be some kind of health screening process, or at least more reminders as guests enter the property, ensuring that they are aware they are not able to remain in the parks or Downtown Disney area if they exhibit COVID-19 symptoms. Second, Disney has to have some kind of process for their Cast Members to follow if they see something then they need to say something to the guest. Am I the only one seeing or hearing this? It wasn't like this just a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately, the formula for theme parks is simple:

Delta variant + No customer screening + Customer indifference + Employee indifference = Increasing Covid cases, especially among unvaccinated kids

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by ClownLoach View Post
      These guests clearly are so ill that their blood oxygen levels are dangerously low and they are likely already in need of medical attention (to be put on oxygen). It is highly likely that they were infected with the virus and are highly infectious to the general public.
      No offense, but unless you are trained medical professional, assumptions like these shouldn't be made. Coughing can be sign of many things (allergies, swallowing food/water wrong, inhaling smoke, asthma).

Should people with low immunity and signs of illness avoid the parks? Yes, specially for the safety of themselves and others. But assuming they are infected because you heard them cough is not guaranteed proof.

Comment

^ What Spongeocto4 said. It's a bit much to assume with certainty that everyone who coughed has a certain viral load and low blood oxygen levels. I've been in a room full of intense coughing fits during flu seasons of past years.

As for how Disneyland handles it, my guess is there will be a vaccine mandate for going to Disneyland in the near future with the way things are going in the country. That's a hot button issue that probably shouldn't be debated here, but I think it will happen to Disneyland.
        Last edited by Brian PieGuy; 09-12-2021, 04:05 PM.
        Brian the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Delta variant + No customer screening + Customer indifference + Employee indifference = Increasing Covid cases, especially among unvaccinated kids

Now school have started in some area ,and will in other areas, this coming week.
          My fear, if they do not check kids (and teachers) at school ,there going be Increasing Covid cases !imo
          This the next concern with O.C. health dept.
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I just spent 4 days at the parks, and didn’t see anyone who looked severely sick. Walked past one guy today who briefly coughed. And I heard a kid sneeze yesterday. But no awful sounding cough/cold kinda symptoms like one might hear during winter cold and flu season. I’m very aware of people in the space around me and I felt quite safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

It going get very interesting , with school starting..........

I got my shots....But I still going wear mask ,when I around people.
              IMO
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

This was the first week where I visited multiple times and noticed guests who appeared to be very ill. The CDC public health orders are still in place and state that people exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 are ordered as follows:

​​​​​​Do not leave your home, except to get medical care. Do not visit public areas.

The issue is that these folks are symptomatic which does pose an obligation for all businesses open to the public - they are not to allow symptomatic people to be on their premises. So if Disneyland cast members do observe someone coughing they are obligated to address. I know that the Health Dept. when inspecting the retail stores I manage will actually quiz employees to ensure they have received training to address when someone appears to have COVID symptoms.

This is why I asked the question - because it seems that Disney is intentionally looking the other way - which considering they had to wait over a year to reopen makes them look really bad. And again I'm not sure why it is so much worse this week.

Comment

Couple weeks ago I went a store.......
                  Most people was not wearing a mask ......then past week I seeing more people wearing them.....
                  IMO-Myself I read the news and so forth....(it like no one really knows) ...I try stay safe ,and going wear a mask,
                  I got my shots .....but still
                  I just don't trust this virus !..........

I go to store to get food /medication ..........needs
                  I still void going place's I really don't need to go....Theme Parks is one them.
                  I speaking for my self......
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

No offense, but unless you are trained medical professional, assumptions like these shouldn't be made. Coughing can be sign of many things (allergies, swallowing food/water wrong, inhaling smoke, asthma).

Should people with low immunity and signs of illness avoid the parks? Yes, specially for the safety of themselves and others. But assuming they are infected because you heard them cough is not guaranteed proof.
                    Exactly. My mom has always had an asthma cough that sounds much like mine did when I had Covid. Needless to say she has not been very popular the last year and a half as she coughs more or less all the time.

I don't know what cast members have been told to do when it comes to guests showing possible signs of illness, but it doesn't seem realistic to start kicking people out for coughing in public.
                    A better idea would be if guests had to either show proof of vaccine or a recent negative Covid test to enter the park. Or do they already do this?

Comment

".... at Knott's and saw a guest have a similar likely COVID coughing fit and a park employee did veer off their path and addressed the guest at a safe distance and specifically stated "Ma'am, you are coughing which is a possible sign of COVID. If you are displaying symptoms you need to leave the park today."

But the Knott's employee didn't make them leave despite their 'symptoms'. All they did (according to your words) was to say 'IF you have symptoms you SHOULD leave' which probably accomplished the same thing as a DL CM 'ignoring' it: absolutely nothing. If someone is ignorant and inconsiderate enough to enter a theme park when they believe they may have symptoms directly related to COVID exposure (ie should be isolating), or worse active COVID, then they're going to be ignorant and inconsiderate enough to lie about it if 'challenged'.

What do you want them to do? Frog-march anyone they deem to be showing symptoms to First Aid for an Antigen test and then boot them out if they're positive? That'd be nice, but it's not going to happen. They'd be testing and booting or releasing people all day. And I'd be pretty pissed if I was held up at First Aid for an hour or two after I'd told them it was asthma, post-nasal drip, or whatever.

Gee, maybe it'd be a better idea to require vaccination certificates or test results dated within 48 hours in order to get past the turnstile. But that's not going to happen unless they become legally required to do so.
                      "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

This was the first week where I visited multiple times and noticed guests who appeared to be very ill. The CDC public health orders are still in place and state that people exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 are ordered as follows:

​​​​​​Do not leave your home, except to get medical care. Do not visit public areas.

The issue is that these folks are symptomatic which does pose an obligation for all businesses open to the public - they are not to allow symptomatic people to be on their premises. So if Disneyland cast members do observe someone coughing they are obligated to address. I know that the Health Dept. when inspecting the retail stores I manage will actually quiz employees to ensure they have received training to address when someone appears to have COVID symptoms.

This is why I asked the question - because it seems that Disney is intentionally looking the other way - which considering they had to wait over a year to reopen makes them look really bad. And again I'm not sure why it is so much worse this week.
                        Again, as someone else said, are you a trained medical professional? Do you know their case histories? No? Then you move on. COVID is serious, but the CDC does not say that everyone that coughs must immediately go clog up their local medical facilities and prevent legitimate cases from getting handled.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post

Gee, maybe it'd be a better idea to require vaccination certificates or test results dated within 48 hours in order to get past the turnstile. But that's not going to happen unless they become legally required to do so.
                          Your right..... But-Not going to happen........
                          If that case ,it would happen by now !

That WHY....one needs/or should protect them self/love ones
                          The best they can........IMO

The way, I see it,
                          this virus is not going by no rules.
                          Last edited by Eagleman; 09-12-2021, 04:21 PM.
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Comment section.jpg
Views:	1456
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	8646902
                            “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                            WDW Trips: '81
                            EPCOT Trips: '93
                            Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

I'm affected by the Chaparral Fire in San Diego County. I've been coughing up a lung for the past 10 days. Plus my nose is running, eyes watering...not everything is a disease. Besides, for all we know that person had a flu or cold. That hasn't been grounds to freak out in the past several decades. I think people need to quit thinking COVID is s common as Nitrogen in the air.
                              We need another Walt...and fast!

"It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
                              The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

Comment

With fire season and terrible air quality, I think there's a combination of factors when it comes to coughing at the Disneyland Resort.

I'm an advocate for Disney verifying vaccinations or negative COVID-19 tests; however, I doubt that will happen. I suppose they've covered their bums by placing a warning on their website: "An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present."

I think that warning sets the stage. Nevertheless, I hope that you are safe and healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
                                  With fire season and terrible air quality, I think there's a combination of factors when it comes to coughing at the Disneyland Resort.

I'm an advocate for Disney verifying vaccinations or negative COVID-19 tests; however, I doubt that will happen. I suppose they've covered their bums by placing a warning on their website: "An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present."

I think that warning sets the stage. Nevertheless, I hope that you are safe and healthy.
                                  Here is exactly what Disney states online as their policy.

​​​​
                                  If planning to travel, visit https://covid19.ca.gov/ for current state orders and updated information. Guests who are under isolation or quarantine orders must not enter the Disneyland Resort. By entering the Disneyland Resort, you are confirming that you and all persons in your party are not:
                                  • Experiencing any of the following symptoms of COVID-19 identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at CDC.gov, including:
                                    • Fever or chills
                                    • Cough
                                    • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
                                    • Fatigue
                                    • Muscle or body aches
                                    • Headache
                                    • New loss of taste or smell
                                    • Sore throat
                                    • Congestion or runny nose
                                    • Nausea or vomiting
                                    • Diarrhea
                                  • In contact with or have been in contact with, someone with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 symptoms without completing a 10-day quarantine
                                  • Under any self-quarantine orders

Guests who cannot confirm all of the above criteria must not enter the Disneyland Resort. If at any point during their visit, a Guest does not meet all of the above criteria, they and their traveling party will be required to isolate and may be relocated or asked to leave the property.

So it is clear that if you have a cough you and your party are supposed to be required to isolate. The issue is that none of this is happening. It just says a cough. Don't need to be a medical expert to identify a cough.

Comment

​​​​
                                    If planning to travel, visit https://covid19.ca.gov/ for current state orders and updated information. Guests who are under isolation or quarantine orders must not enter the Disneyland Resort. By entering the Disneyland Resort, you are confirming that you and all persons in your party are not:
                                    • Experiencing any of the following symptoms of COVID-19 identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at CDC.gov, including:
                                      • Fever or chills
                                      • Cough
                                      • Fatigue
                                      • Muscle or body aches
                                      • Headache
                                      • Sore throat
                                      • Nausea or vomiting
                                      • Diarrhea
                                    • In contact with or have been in contact with, someone with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 symptoms without completing a 10-day quarantine

Guests who cannot confirm all of the above criteria must not enter the Disneyland Resort. If at any point during their visit, a Guest does not meet all of the above criteria, they and their traveling party will be required to isolate and may be relocated or asked to leave the property.

So it is clear that if you have a cough you and your party are supposed to be required to isolate. The issue is that none of this is happening. It just says a cough. Don't need to be a medical expert to identify a cough.
                                    I understand, but as others have mentioned, people cough for other reasons. I'm not encouraging those with COVID-19 symptoms to enter the Disney parks, but it's a little much if you call out a person with asthma or smoker's cough to leave. I suppose they could carry around a negative COVID-19 test as confirmation, but Disney is not checking, and that is the problem (which you are sort of highlighting).

We know what should be done (i.e. guest vaccination status / COVID-19 test results should be presented at the front gate), but fingers should be pointed at Disney management, and not the guests or cast members, despite how frustrated responsible guests or cast members may feel.

Comment

​​​​
                                        • Fever or chills
                                        • Cough
                                        • Fatigue
                                        • Muscle or body aches
                                        • Headache
                                        • Sore throat
                                        • Nausea or vomiting
                                        • Diarrhea

So anyone who experiences ANY of thee "symptoms" should be suspect for COVID? That would mean many people by day's end who experience "fatigue" after a long fun filled day at Disneyland would need to be removed from the Park. For sure I'm pretty fatigued after spending 16 hours at the Park.
                                      We need another Walt...and fast!

"It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
                                      The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

Comment

Originally posted by Laugh-O-Grams View Post

So anyone who experiences ANY of thee "symptoms" should be suspect for COVID? That would mean many people by day's end who experience "fatigue" after a long fun filled day at Disneyland would need to be removed from the Park. For sure I'm pretty fatigued after spending 16 hours at the Park.
                                        That’s right. Anyone sitting on a bench who isn’t eating or drinking - kick them out. They might have Covid!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X