• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spongeocto4
    Paper Mario Fanatic

• Jul 2011

[Fun] Best Attractions...At Night

Are there any attractions that you think should be done or tried at least once at night? Not to be confused with nighttime exclusive attractions like Fantasmic or World of Color. But rather a regular attraction that is just better after dark?

Here's my list:
    Big Thunder Mountain: The lighting gives it a dramatic edge. Best to ride during Fireworks

Matterhorn: Like BTM, the lighting gives it an edge. But with the inside of the mountain being darker, the ride seems to move faster.

Mad Tea Party: The Paper Lanterns complete the Wonderland experience.

It's a Small World Holiday: The Facade at night is a sight to behold.

Haunted Mansion: This one is a no brainer. Nighttime sets up the spooky atmosphere

Splash Mountain: Yes, you might think this one is insane. A water ride at NIGHT? But it will be a guaranteed walk on, while giving you a more intimate experience with the reduced amount of guests.

What are your picks?

*Yes, the thread name is homage to the Spongebob Squarepants episode, Graveyard Shift. 'Burning your hand in Disneyland...at night' is not recommended.
    "...but life without cake is no life at all"
    -Lysithea von Ordelia, Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Disneyland: 1997, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2015, 2020, 2023
    WDW: 2006
    Universal Hollywood: 1998, 2007, 2023
  • Brian PieGuy
    MiceChat Moderator

MiceChat Moderator
    • Nov 2020

There is something about the Jungle Cruise at night that makes it feel like a totally different attraction. It really seems like it could be an old rainforest without all the lights ruining the illusion.
    “I think, therefore I am... confused.”
    ― Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Comment

• Quentin
      MaliBOOMer
      • Jul 2011

I can’t think of a single one that’s actually better during the day.
      Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Comment

• jish5555
        MiceChatter
        • Jul 2020

Oooo now this is a tough one. Big Thunder is awesome when riding during the fireworks. Matterhorn is awesome because it becomes scarier due to not seeing the track as well and as such, each sharp turn feels like you'll fly off at any second. Small World for the amazing que and lighting around the building. Jungle Cruise because it basically becomes a completely different ride. Haunted Mansion because it just feels so right to walk towards the Mansion with the subtle lighting that gives it an aura of foreboding. The last one I can think of is Radiator Springs Racers because the lighting on the canyon just gives it a beautiful look.

Comment

• Co Foo
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
          The only ride that I can think of that I'd prefer to go on during the day would be the Disneyland Railroad. The outdoor scenes feel more natural when they aren't lit by a spotlight. The tunnels become more interesting when you enter the darkness from daylight, like you're really entering another world.

However, even though I prefer DLRR during the day it's almost the exception that proves the rule.

Comment

• Stormy
            Chief Troublemaker

• May 2012

I agree 100%. DL at night is just magical. It may be because so much of my teen/young adult years were spent at DL starting in the late afternoon until closing so a lot of my memories of those wonderful times are 'in the dark'.

But as far as dark 'enhancing' the experience, I'd say BTMRR, Matterhorn, RSR, pretty much any ride that has an 'outside' component. I wouldn't say DLRR is 'better' or 'worse' at night, but seeing everything all lit up as you travel round the 'circle tour' is cool. And there's just something about standing in line at the HM in the dark that enhances the spookiness awaiting you inside.
            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

• greenalfonzo
              MiceChatter
              • Jan 2011

Yeah, pretty much everything is better at night, except maybe the DLRR, as noted above. Even regular FL darkrides, because your eyes don't have to adjust as much.
              "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

• allretired
                New MiceChatter
                • Jul 2021

I know it's not DLR, but TRON at Shanghai DL at night was amazing.

Comment

• WaltDisney'sAlec
                  Happily Ridiculous
                  • Dec 2011

I'll add Indiana Jones as one of my favorite attractions to experience at night. There's something about listening to Moonlight Serenade in the outdoor queue, going into the depths of the temple, and returning outside to the sounds of the jungle with the Jungle Cruise boats still going by alongside you.

Comment

• WaltDisney'sAlec
                    Happily Ridiculous
                    • Dec 2011

I'm sure many of you have already seen this, but I'll just leave it here since it's always lovely to see. From the Osmond brothers to Annette Funicello to Louis Armstrong himself, they really bring an extra pop to an already wonderful nighttime setting. Enjoy.

Comment

• Brian PieGuy
                      MiceChat Moderator

MiceChat Moderator
                      • Nov 2020

For me, the outdoor portion of Radiator Springs Racers looks nicer during the day when the rockwork is lit by sunlight. The indoor portion is better at night though.

Comment

• Stormy
                        Chief Troublemaker

• May 2012

Just thought of another one. The late and deeply lamented ToT. The queue with the tinny, ghostly music was pretty cool at night.

Got to experience it again at WDW. Just as great as I remember it.
                        "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

• Co Foo
                          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                          I'm sure many of you have already seen this, but I'll just leave it here since it's always lovely to see. From the Osmond brothers to Annette Funicello to Louis Armstrong himself, they really bring an extra pop to an already wonderful nighttime setting. Enjoy.

All of this vintage Disneyland content should be on Disney plus. It’s what I’ve wanted since day one.

Comment

• DaHatTrick
                            Big Hockey Fan
                            • Oct 2009

I was at Disneyland two weeks ago and I would say that the Matterhorn at night you can’t beat it there’s nothing like it. There was a greater suspense and eerieness to the ride that can only be experienced at night time. The yeti on the mountain and escaping from it has a greater effect at night than day in my eyes. They should change it for Halloween, however way they can. I think Matterhorn would be a great candidate for a Halloween update. Bring back space mountain ghost galaxy

Comment

• Eagleman
                              Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by Brian PieGuy View Post
                              There is something about the Jungle Cruise at night that makes it feel like a totally different attraction. It really seems like it could be an old rainforest without all the lights ruining the illusion.
                              X2.....I very much ENJOY
                              Jungle Cruise at night........for same reason

Also love going the River Boats on the ~River of America~....I find it so peaceful .
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• bigcatrik
                                MiceChatter
                                • May 2012

Jungle Cruise, especially late-night after DCA closes and they turn off the searchlight (is it still there?).

Comment

• Eagleman
                                  Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

For me, the outdoor portion of Radiator Springs Racers looks nicer during the day when the rockwork is lit by sunlight. The indoor portion is better at night though.
                                  I Enjoy the over all CAR LAND at night........
                                  That went the action happen with with all the Lights.....

But rockwork is nice lit by sunlight...... as Sun going down
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• micromind
                                    world class bilge rat
                                    • Aug 2009

I usually don't like wild rides but there are a few spots on Thunder Mountain after dark that are amazing.

Casey Jr is beyond beautiful after dark as is StoryBookLand. Both are absolutely enchanting!

Actually, just walking around anywhere in the park and seeing its after dark personality is pretty cool too.

Comment

• Brian PieGuy
                                      MiceChat Moderator

MiceChat Moderator
                                      • Nov 2020

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

X2.....I very much ENJOY
                                      Jungle Cruise at night........for same reason

Also love going the River Boats on the ~River of America~....I find it so peaceful .
                                      I hope to ride the river boats at night some day Eagleman! It seems every time I stay late at Disneyland the river is used up by Fantasmic.

Comment

• Eagleman
                                        Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

I hope to ride the river boats at night some day Eagleman! It seems every time I stay late at Disneyland the river is used up by Fantasmic.
                                        I know......it sad ...in own way......
                                        Fantasmic is a good show.....but the takeaways is the Peaceful Cruise ,around the river at night .
                                        and it has been long time, for me.......
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X