Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blue Bayou = Not The Magical Experience I'm Used to!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trip Report Blue Bayou = Not The Magical Experience I'm Used to!

    Fist things first... Reservations: I had to get on the Disney App to make my Blue Bayou reservation at 3:00am- 60 days out. I managed to get one for 11:30am, but by the time I finished making that reservation, all other reservations for every other restaurant were booked for the day (at 3:03am)! That is ridiculous!

    Requesting a water-side table: Nope... they won't take that request anymore. This makes no sense. I have no problem waiting and allowing others to go ahead of me for my reservation time in order to get a water-side table. They refuse to do that now!

    Music: They've increased the volume of the music and now play modern selections. To me, this is jarring and takes me out of the old world bayou atmosphere. It made me feel like we were in any other restaurant during modern times. The volume was so high it drowned out the cricket and night time animal sounds from the ride, which made me forget that the ride and bayou décor were even there!

    Menus: In this time of COVID, I do understand the QR Code menu scanning, but I think we should be able to get a real menu in what is supposed to be an upscale restaurant. I mean really? Is it too much work to disinfect a menu between uses?

    Service: Service was fast and cordial, but all the cast used to stay in a certain character that matched the atmosphere. It appears that mood has been lost along with the general atmosphere of the the restaurant.

    Something I observed that seemed out of character for Disneyland in general: I saw a kid puke right in front of the hostess pedestal at the entrance to Blue Bayou. The two hostesses watched it happen. It was there for a full 10 minutes before anyone cleaned it up, and the hostesses made no effort to block the area, or warn guests as they approached the mess. Multiple people stepped in it... The hostesses were so busy talking to each other about employment topics that they acted like they were being interrupted whenever someone approached them!

    Side note: During my visit, I noticed, more often than not, cast members openly and loudly talking among themselves about Disney employment topics, and in most cases when Guests approached them, the Guest had to wait for the Cast Members to finish their discussions, and they acted as if Guests were bothering them.

    Experience Overall: Normally, I feel that my visit to Blue Bayou is just as magical as Club 33, but not this time. Club 33 was excellent as usual, but Blue Bayou seems to have lost what made it special to me. Also, in general, the cast members for the most part made Disneyland feel like any other amusement park.
    Last edited by JustSomeGuy; 09-21-2021, 08:19 AM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
    Fist things first... Reservations: I had to get on the Disney App to make my Blue Bayou reservation at 3:00am- 60 days out. I managed to get one for 11:30am, but by the time I finished making that reservation, all other reservations for every other restaurant were booked for the day (at 3:03am)! That is ridiculous!
    I feel they are falsely limiting occupancy make all reservations scarce so you feel so fortunate to get a reservation that you are willing to overlook to compromised experience. ( nightclubs do this all the time.)


    Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
    Requesting a water-side table: Nope... they won't take that request anymore. This makes no sense. I have no problem waiting and allowing others to go ahead of me for my reservation time in order to get a water-side table. They refuse to do that now!
    This makes me reluctant to even try and get a reservation as without the water side seating you could be placed near the entrance where sun light regular encroaches taking you out of the atmosphere.

    Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
    Music: They've increased the volume of the music and now play modern selections. To me, this is jarring and takes me out of the old world bayou atmosphere. It made me feel like we were in any other restaurant during modern times. The volume was so high it drowned out the cricket and night time animal sounds from the ride, which made me forget that the ride and bayou décor were even there!
    The terrible that they are doing that.

    Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
    Menus: In this time of COVID, I do understand the QR Code menu scanning, but I think we should be able to get a real menu in what is supposed to be an upscale restaurant. I mean really? Is it too much work to disinfect a menu between uses?
    Even restaurants like Denny's and Applebees can manage to get a you a paper menu of you request one


    Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
    Service: Service was fast and cordial, but all the cast used to stay in a certain character that matched the atmosphere. It appears that mood has been lost along with the general atmosphere of the the restaurant.
    Well I have a feeling many CM's are being over worked and under appreciated by management. Not the customers fault and they should be compromised. CM needs more support and it's one of many reasons We are still staying away from the parks.

    Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
    Something I observed that seemed out of character for Disneyland in general: I saw a kid puke right in front of the hostess pedestal at the entrance to Blue Bayou. The two hostesses watched it happen. It was there for a full 10 minutes before anyone cleaned it up, and the hostesses made no effort to block the area, or warn guests as they approached the mess. Multiple people stepped in it... The hostesses were so busy talking to each other about employment topics that they acted like they were being interrupted whenever someone approached them!

    Side note: During my visit, I noticed, more often than not, cast members openly and loudly talking among themselves about Disney employment topics, and in most cases when Guests approached them, the Guest had to wait for the Cast Members to finish their discussions, and they acted as if Guests were bothering them.
    Thus is terribleCM's who once were seen as providing the highest level of service are quickly going to become a punchline if TDA doesn't bring back better pay, training and benefits.

    Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
    Experience Overall: Normally, I feel that my visit to Blue Bayou is just as magical as Club 33, but not this time. Club 33 was excellent as usual, but Blue Bayou seems to have lost what made it special to me. Also, in general, the cast members for the most part made Disneyland feel like any other amusement park.
    If your experience is now typical than Blue Bayou is dead to me going forward. It was once a great experience but now I fear cheapek has destroyed it like many other great experiences that people used to be happy to share.

    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

    Comment


    • #3
      I went to Blue Bayou a couple weeks ago and all the tables were both packed together and packed with people. If Disney was limiting reservations, they were not doing the time I went. There was no room to add anyone or any table.

      I think this is a case of supply not meeting demand. Right now Disney’s quick service has gotten worse* and that in turn has lead to a higher demand (than before times) for sit down, which has better food in general.

      *My opinion of course. Some of this is on Disney but to be fair, I have heard that food supply has become constrained. Disney might be working with what they can get. For example, they changed the chicken strip at Stage Door Cafe. It’s hard to tell if it’s permanent, but a few on Reddit were dismayed and said it felt cheaper. I didn’t realize they were a cult classic for some.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
        Music: They've increased the volume of the music and now play modern selections. To me, this is jarring and takes me out of the old world bayou atmosphere. It made me feel like we were in any other restaurant during modern times. The volume was so high it drowned out the cricket and night time animal sounds from the ride, which made me forget that the ride and bayou décor were even there!
        The other complaints are I think what you would expect -- they let a lot of their dedicated CMs go, and are having trouble finding new people at the wages they are willing to offer, the service industry is understaffed in general, and have to take what they can get -- but this one is just completely crazy. I have to imagine someone just made a mistake ...

        I would be really interested to know if anyone else has been recently and had a similar or dissimilar experience?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Starcade View Post

          I feel they are falsely limiting occupancy make all reservations scarce so you feel so fortunate to get a reservation that you are willing to overlook to compromised experience. ( nightclubs do this all the time.)
          I honestly kind of doubt this, largely because I don't think the people who make these decisions think guest experience matters at all, but they do think packing in as many paying customers as possible matters. It's not that what you're saying doesn't make sense, it's that it wouldn't make sense to them.

          Originally posted by Starcade View Post
          Well I have a feeling many CM's are being over worked and under appreciated by management.
          This tallies completely with the conversations I've had, and also overheard, with CMs last time I was at the parks.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post

            The other complaints are I think what you would expect -- they let a lot of their dedicated CMs go, and are having trouble finding new people at the wages they are willing to offer, the service industry is understaffed in general, and have to take what they can get -- but this one is just completely crazy. I have to imagine someone just made a mistake ...

            I would be really interested to know if anyone else has been recently and had a similar or dissimilar experience?
            The CMs seemed their normal friendly to me. We had an issue where one of our party was running late and they were very kind to let us put it “on-hold” and let them know when they arrived. The fact they we messed up, but Disney still tried to accommodate us is great service and Disney magic to me. During the meal, the servers, especially the one manning soft drinks, was super attentive.

            If I had a disappointment with Blue Bayou, it was that they stopped the complimentary bread basket.

            Comment


            • #7
              ^Thanks, Jess! Was there modern music playing, do you remember?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post
                ^Thanks, Jess! Was there modern music playing, do you remember?
                So none of us remember hearing any music at all. That was weird. I had to ask others in my party because maybe I just didn’t remember.

                We sat at the less fun portion (away from the water) so I don’t know if that affects the sound. Hopefully they turned it off so you can enjoy the atmosphere if you are closer to the ride (not that you can hear it from further away).
                Last edited by Jesser-pie; 09-21-2021, 11:46 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  JustSomeGuy How was the food in the Blue Bayou?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post

                    So none of us remember hearing any music at all. That was weird. I had to ask others in my party because maybe I just didn’t remember.

                    We sat at the less fun portion (away from the water) so I don’t know if that affects the sound. Hopefully they turned it off so you can enjoy the atmosphere if you are closer to the ride (not that you can hear it from further away).
                    Jesser-pie
                    Back when Blue Bayou open......
                    They had Music...in fact they live Music.

                    It someone playing a harp ...I recall....
                    But it only few years.
                    (I was a kid then)
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post

                      So none of us remember hearing any music at all. That was weird. I had to ask others in my party because maybe I just didn’t remember.

                      We sat at the less fun portion (away from the water) so I don’t know if that affects the sound. Hopefully they turned it off so you can enjoy the atmosphere if you are closer to the ride (not that you can hear it from further away).
                      Great, I am relieved to hear it

                      Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

                      Jesser-pie
                      Back when Blue Bayou open......
                      They had Music...in fact they live Music.

                      It someone playing a harp ...I recall....
                      But it only few years.
                      (I was a kid then)
                      That sounds great and I'm sorry I wasn't there to experience it...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post

                        That sounds great and I'm sorry I wasn't there to experience it...
                        To me in those days it was....
                        But as I share the music ,did not last long......
                        also recall PRIME RIB dinner...and they use gave out , after dinner mint.....


                        That place have change a lot- to the worst......again
                        imo
                        Last edited by Eagleman; 09-21-2021, 06:09 PM.
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

                        Comment


                        • #13

                          From a thread in 2012 titled "Is the park too loud?"...

                          Originally posted by Mr Wiggins
                          The Main Street and Frontierland background music have been in-your-face overly loud for a half decade or more -- posts about it on this forum go back years. Of all the many things that the TDA brain trust doesn't understand about the Disneyland experience, they're perhaps the most clueless about ambiance and quiet. If it's not demanding your attention like a TV commercial, they think there's something wrong with it. Background music must be loud and colors of buildings must be cartoon-bright, the better to sell, sell, sell.

                          "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                          designed to appeal to everyone."

                          - Walt Disney

                          "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                          - Michael Eisner

                          "It's very symbiotic."
                          - Bob Chapek

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                            JustSomeGuy How was the food in the Blue Bayou?
                            I had a cup of Gumbo with the Monte Cristo and, as much as I know some people oppose it, I had a Hurricane with the meal.

                            The Gumbo was as good as it's always been, maybe a bit salty.

                            The Monte Cristo has changed again. It seemed to have quite a bit more fried batter on the outside. They served it with three half pieces instead of four, which is fine because four half pieces was a huge portion, but they didn't reduce the price with the portion reduction. They also eliminated the fresh fruit from the plate, and now only include the berry sauce and the Crème Anglaise. They did add a light smear of goat cheese to the plate and set the open face part of the sandwich down on the goat cheese smear.

                            The Hurricane paired well with the meal, especially with a glow cube added ;-), but was a little sweet. It wasn't nearly as strong as anything you can order at Trader Sam's and certainly doesn't touch the quality of the Mai Tai at Club 33.

                            They no longer offer the bread basket... I really missed that!

                            Overall, the food wasn't as good as I remember it was just before COVID, but it was still decent.

                            Considering I only visit every two years, I'm sure I'll go back then, but if it were any sooner, I'd probably skip it.

                            BTW- My visit was on Sunday, Sept 19th.
                            Last edited by JustSomeGuy; 09-21-2021, 06:29 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                              From a thread in 2012 titled "Is the park too loud?"...



                              I felt like the music in Downtown Disney was quite a bit louder on this trip as well.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post

                                I felt like the music in Downtown Disney was quite a bit louder on this trip as well.
                                Don't Understand........
                                I feel Downtown Disney music is to" LOUD "........and I find it a ,turn off for me.....
                                Would hate to stay at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel, on the Down Town side.........imo
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

                                  Don't Understand........
                                  I feel Downtown Disney music is to" LOUD "........and I find it a ,turn off for me.....
                                  Would hate to stay at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel, on the Down Town side.........imo
                                  My wife and I actually discussed that when we were eating at the Naples Bar. I can't imagine paying that much for one of those rooms next to that super loud area.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post

                                    My wife and I actually discussed that when we were eating at the Naples Bar. I can't imagine paying that much for one of those rooms next to that super loud area.
                                    I CAN"T neither..............
                                    I'm better off at Motel 6-were one can get some sleep and rest........

                                    In Fact-I would not stay at any of Disneyland Hotels-worth is not there........
                                    IMO
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post
                                      ^Thanks, Jess! Was there modern music playing, do you remember?
                                      I did my own sleuthing, and the volume for the music lately is really, really low, and the crickets are really, really loud. No modern music, though. Hoping it was just a weird day for OP.
                                      Last edited by Captain Andy; 09-21-2021, 10:22 PM.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

                                        I did my own sleuthing, and the volume for the music lately is really, really low, and the crickets are really, really loud. No modern music, though. Hoping it was just a weird day for OP.
                                        I heard modern music coming from the restaurant as I went by on pirates today.
                                        Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X