Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blue Bayou = Not The Magical Experience I'm Used to!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went Aug 27th at noon and everything was great. They even had our reservation available 20 min early, if we wanted, and we got a table next to the water (we didn't ask, that's just where they seated us.). I did have to play the online reservation game, but it wasn't that bad.

I don't remember it being so dark inside! All the tables were being used and the place was full. The service was fast and food was delicious. The hurricane was fine, just too sweet for my taste. The missing bread is kinda sad. Not sure why they stopped that. The music was not loud and we could hear the crickets.

We did notice the problem with wait staff talking too loudly about things they should be saying back stage. There was a crying child at one of the tables and the waiter sad "We've got a screamer!"

I would go again for a special occasion or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

I did my own sleuthing, and the volume for the music lately is really, really low, and the crickets are really, really loud. No modern music, though. Hoping it was just a weird day for OP.
      I'm not asking that anyone go on a quest to prove or disprove the validity of my statements. I have simply outlined the facts of my experience.

The facts are: The music being played included modern selections and it was too loud in the area where I was seated.

The music being played was not something that would be heard in antebellum Louisiana, which is the time period and location that Blue Bayou is intended to represent. Sadly, this is something people these days are unlikely to notice.

If the music is so loud that I can't hear the ambiance sounds (crickets & frogs), then the music is too loud.
      Last edited by JustSomeGuy; 09-22-2021, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post

I'm not asking that anyone go on a quest to prove or disprove the validity of my statements. I have simply outlined the facts of my experience.

The facts are: The music being played included modern selections and it was too loud in the area where I was seated.

The music being played was not something that would be heard in antebellum Louisiana, which is the time period and location that Blue Bayou is intended to represent. Sadly, this is something people these days are unlikely to notice.

If the music is so loud that I can't hear the ambiance sounds (crickets & frogs), then the music is too loud.
        Oh no! I apologize. My intention was not to disprove your experience. I was more of trying to find when it started, and the reason, and if it's still going. I think this change happened in early September based on social media history.

It is a bit worrying that the modern music is a thing, and I hope it goes away sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

Oh no! I apologize. My intention was not to disprove your experience. I was more of trying to find when it started, and the reason, and if it's still going. I think this change happened in early September based on social media history.

It is a bit worrying that the modern music is a thing, and I hope it goes away sooner rather than later.
          Thank you for that clarification.

It really didn't make sense to me that Disney would break the historical time period theming at Blue Bayou with the music selection... Especially when they have tried so hard to lock Galaxy's Edge into such a definitive timeline within a fictional IP Universe.

Comment

I haven't been to the restaurant in over 15 years. I was going to go in a few weeks for my first visit in 3 years. But after reading this, I don't think it will feel as special as before. Makes me sad. I think I'll go to Carnation Cafe instead and just have snacks and save money. I'm also wondering if by next year this type of thing will begin to affect Disney attendance.

Comment

Music in restaurants seems to be subject to a manager's interpretation of what people want, like adverts before movies. My theory is that they are trying to drown out other patron's annoying conversations, fights, complaints etc, or even the staff directing each other too loudly. Those man-made noise pollution ruins the atmosphere as well, so they feel forced to make a choice of "poison". Imagine someone complaining about having to listen to another table's bickering or hearing the clatter from the bussers. It takes strict discipline and a well-oiled machine to maintain a quiet, high quality dining experience. To cover it up, Applebee's plays loud music. Which I love when I want to be boisterous with my friends, but not in a lovely spot like Blue Bayou. You can't please everyone. I personally vote for the crickets and banjo plucking, with an occasional marital spat or childish tantrum. At least they are all natural sounds.

I meant the nature of music in restaurants, loud vs soft and style.
              Last edited by nostalgic; 09-22-2021, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nostalgic View Post
                Music in restaurants seems to be subject to a manager's interpretation of what people want, like adverts before movies. My theory is that they are trying to drown out other patron's annoying conversations, fights, complaints etc, or even the staff directing each other too loudly. Those man-made noise pollution ruins the atmosphere as well, so they feel forced to make a choice of "poison". Imagine someone complaining about having to listen to another table's bickering or hearing the clatter from the bussers. It takes strict discipline and a well-oiled machine to maintain a quiet, high quality dining experience. To cover it up, Applebee's plays loud music. Which I love when I want to be boisterous with my friends, but not in a lovely spot like Blue Bayou. You can't please everyone. I personally vote for the crickets and banjo plucking, with an occasional marital spat or childish tantrum. At least they are all natural sounds.
                They always had music before, it was just a period specific selection.

Comment

Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post

We know. I asked other people about their experiences to determine whether it was a one-off thing (maybe an error on the part of a manager?) or a new policy.

Comment

I figure until covid restrictions are completely gone, you gotta just make due with where they seat you and having QR code menus, etc. If the worse thing you deal with during a pandemic that has killed more Americans than the 1918 flu epidemic is "I didn't get to sit near water at Blue Bayou", you've gotten off pretty lightly.
                    "Have I gone mad?"
                    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Comment

Originally posted by MychaelP View Post
                      I haven't been to the restaurant in over 15 years. I was going to go in a few weeks for my first visit in 3 years. But after reading this, I don't think it will feel as special as before. Makes me sad. I think I'll go to Carnation Cafe instead and just have snacks and save money. I'm also wondering if by next year this type of thing will begin to affect Disney attendance.
                      I'm wondering as well-
                      Will experiences, new policy and other Issue turn people /guest off...........by next year
                      Time will tell

IMO- IT time for New Leadership at Disney !
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by DisneySpaceAce View Post
                        I figure until covid restrictions are completely gone, you gotta just make due with where they seat you and having QR code menus, etc. If the worse thing you deal with during a pandemic that has killed more Americans than the 1918 flu epidemic is "I didn't get to sit near water at Blue Bayou", you've gotten off pretty lightly.
                        True enough. Still, the pandemic didn't make Disney eliminate the complimentary bread basket at the Blue Bayou. The pandemic didn't make Disney be noncompetitive in hiring, training, and treatment of its frontline staff. The pandemic didn't make Disney slash the quality and quantity of countless details of DLR product. Those decisions were made by a management that has long demonstrated its determination to increase profits by raising prices and reducing services -- and approved by the customer base that goes along with it.
                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

True enough. Still, the pandemic didn't make Disney eliminate the complimentary bread basket at the Blue Bayou. The pandemic didn't make Disney be noncompetitive in hiring, training, and treatment of its frontline staff. The pandemic didn't make Disney slash the quality and quantity of countless details of DLR product. Those decisions were made by a management that has long demonstrated its determination to increase profits by raising prices and reducing services -- and approved by the customer base that goes along with it.
                          That a Big
                          B I N G O - It' about = profits by > raising prices and reducing services!
                          Other's words PAY MORE , get less .
                          IMO

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I've never ate there before but from what my friends have told me, their food is 6.5-7/10. I'm still curious about eating there, though

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_IvanStark View Post
                              I've never ate there before but from what my friends have told me, their food is 6.5-7/10. I'm still curious about eating there, though
                              It's true, the food is not stellar. It's the atmosphere which makes the place, feeling like being at a fancy waterside garden party. Everyone should go at least once though! I like a late lunch at Blue Bayou because it makes a nice respite from the more hectic energy of the rest of the park.

Carthay Circle on the other hand is legitimately good food, at least it was the last time I was there pre-pandemic.
                              Restore Walt's Disneyland: bring back the Aluminum Hall of Fame!

Comment

Originally posted by JLee1226 View Post

Carthay Circle on the other hand is legitimately good food, at least it was the last time I was there pre-pandemic.
                                I read many post
                                Carthay Circle- was good place.....
                                If things get better -who knows, I might try it out
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I just went to the Blue Bayou last weekend.

Regarding the reservations, I completely agree and think it is ridiculous you have to wake up at 3:00 exactly sixty days out just to get a CHANCE to book. I may be in the minority here (especially on a forum with many locals), but I would be very much in favor of a market approach where you have to pay in advance just to have a seat. I probably wouldn't go as often, but please give us people who want to waste our money the option at least!!! Side note, did this recently at the Eiffel Tower restaurant in Vegas, where you had to pay an additional fee just to get a window seat. It was worth it.

Regarding the music, I noticed this too. Really strange and took a little bit away from the ambience, which the Bayou is known for.

Service was pretty good for my experience however. Food was delicious as usual.

Disneyland Trips
                                  1990, 1992, 1994, 1996, 2003, 2005, 2009, 2011, 2015, 2019

Walt Disney World Trips
                                  2018, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Spalding View Post
                                    Regarding the music, I noticed this too. Really strange and took a little bit away from the ambience, which the Bayou is known for.
                                    I hear that, especially the anachronism with the theming. I took that theming a different way. When I went back in July, they were playing great stuff like Neville Brothers, the Meters, Dr. John. The kind of music you sadly don't hear much outside of New Orleans. Being able to sip on an Abita and listen to "Fire on the Bayou" took me somewhere. Felt more Louisiana than not. It was the same plantation house but a little closer to now, not in its heyday. I loved that. (Not to mention, the heyday of a plantation house doesn't exactly make for an idealistic setting but that's a wholllllle different topic.)

While we're on the subject of authentic Louisiana, if they could only put real sausage and crawdads in the jambalaya and not store-quality kielbasa with unfrozen cocktail shrimp...

Comment

Boat passed by, and I put on my listening ears — sounded like modern jazz was playing. They might have switched the music back to match the theming.

Comment

i've been to the Blue Bayou twice. when i went the second time for my birthday, i was disappointed because the one thing that i wanted, they didn't have. it was the reason why i wanted to go there for my birthday. i had two sources telling me they served it. (a menu i found on the actual Disney website and another guest who went there the day before told me they had it), but when i asked for it when it was time to order they said they didn't have it. it was a bummer.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X