Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Social Media turning on Disney's Magic Key?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ravencroft View Post

Thank you for making my point. You seem quite knowledgeable about this business. I think you should work for Disney to help solve the *problem*.
    I believe that the minimum qualifications to be CEO are a degree in Wall St. BS. I don't qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumperrrrr View Post
      This is obviously a huge problem. I hope there’s steam in this engine. Disney is flat out wrong.

Disney needs make it right. Solution suggestion: don’t cap reservations for Keys. Period. Then, add the number of calendar days that this problem existed for each Key holder, and add those days beyond the expiration date of their Keys,,, extend the Keys at no cost.
      The problem with that is that Disney cannot have a tourist family be locked out of the park on a day ticket, it’s a far bigger headache and far far worse press of it happens to frequently.

Disney knows key holders will come back they know they are also largely local and can deal with missing a chance to ride a ride this week or not getting a reservation this week because they can get next weeks.

if a family staying for four days can’t get reservations for ones of those days or miss out on virtual queues for a popular ride every day it’s a far poorer situation, you now have a family that dropped tons of cash on a vacation that is 1) Absolutely livid and letting customer service know this and 2) Telling all the friends, families and social media contacts they have that they missed out on rides and even days in the park which in turn means they are probably less likely to go and drop big tourist dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	Bob_Chapek_%2849607223226%29_%28cropped%29.jpg Views:	1 Size:	233.0 KB ID:	8647437

"The Yield is strong with this one..."

I can't believe this is still his Wikipedia profile of all photos.
        Brian the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by ClownLoach View Post

I believe that the minimum qualifications to be CEO are a degree in Wall St. BS. I don't qualify.
          or work on a milk farm.......lol

I think Bob BS come from , his real skill in Advertisement.........
          That why he turning Disney Parks, into Billboards.

once again- at the expense of guest / Consumer
          IMO
          Last edited by Eagleman; 09-26-2021, 08:58 PM.
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Based on my day today with a large party with various types of tickets - there definitely is a new wrinkle. The Magic Key passes did get a Rise boarding pass at noon - but they were "backup groups" #284 which was called conveniently with a half hour window - 8:30pm to 9:00pm which meant no watching fireworks. The paid tickets did get boarding groups after our Magic Key passes said we missed the 7am group, and I have this down to a science pressing that refresh button "on the dot" so I never missed... Until now.

I'm guessing it's a new yield management algorithm - if there is high demand and high paid ticket reservations then the Magic Keys are bumped to lowest priority if they've already been on the ride in the past.

Welcome to Chapekland, USA where you are a number, not a guest.

Comment

Kind of relieved that I didn’t get a Magic Key because it sounds like a full-priced ticket now has a little more bang for its buck, and the price of a single ticket forces me to be very selective with my visits.

Also it seems like what Disney was sort of going for. Given that Magic Keys were introduced after a lot of anti-AP PR, I’m genuinely not shocked that they are not top priority.

I’m sure there are people who are having a pleasant experience with their keys, especially those who have weekdays free. To them I say, “more power to you.”

Comment

No offense, but I feel that the common complaint over the Magic Keys requiring a (*GASP*) a reservation in advance, is a very petty issue to make. This would be like if I, a tourist, got mad because I couldn't book a room in a Disney Hotel on the day of visit! Not everyone has the availability to drop everything and go to Disneyland on a whim. My last 2 trips were both spaced apart with 5 year gaps before each said trip.

But darn you Disney! How dare they give us these rip-off passes that barely do anything for you! I mean they give you pitiful benefits like:
                • Access to a Private Lounge at Disneyland
                • Access to another Private Lounge at DCA
                • Discounted stays at DLR Hotels
                • Exclusive Merchandise only sold to R̶e̶s̶e̶l̶l̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶E̶b̶a̶y̶ Keyholders
                • Discounts on Merchandise
                • Exclusive Photo-ops
                • Potential Free or Discounted Parking (depending on day/pass)
                • Exclusive Premium Add-ons during Special Events (AKA Blue Bayou during Merriest Nights)
                • Discounts for meals
                • Exclusive events for Keyholders
                • Notifications & Info for Keyholders on the Disneyland App
                • "First Access Opportunities"
                • Magic Key Embroidery
                #PoorUnfortunateSouls

Comment

The key gets the blame but its not really the thing that has degraded the experience I think.

The key is just the first thing we need to use the app and reservation system for so I understand why it gets the blame.

What has me regretting my purchase is the OTHER reservation problems.
                  Spider/Rise queue access? You got about 10 seconds to book those!
                  Can I book a day at the park 3 weeks out? Yes no problem!
                  Can I book a restaurant for that day? NOPE!
                  How about the standby lines for said restaurant? NOPE! Those are digital now and when you walk up they are always full!
                  Does the app crash on a busy day? YUP! Both my wife (iphone) and my (samsung) were freezing and crashing on initial load on Saturday while in the park.

I am not sure if all these virtual queues are because of Covid (or being blamed on covid) but for the sake of guest experience maybe we remove those in park virtual queues.

My time in the parks is changing with the Keys... I am spending a LOT less money because I can't get into any of the bars or restaurants I used to love attending on almost every visit... now I just pick up something from a cart and only because I NEED to eat.

Comment

This is exactly what many people expected when the question of what the new AP program would entail. Reservations were going to be hard to come by for APers, but relatively easy for single-day or multi-day non-AP tickets.

It also reinforces what many people suspected -- the majority of park visitors prior to 2020 were APers who paid less than other guests for park access at the expense of the non-AP park experience in the form of guest satisfaction (long lines, crowded walkways, poor-to-non-existent sightlines for shows/experiences, etc.).

If TDA determined they got more revenue from a non-AP guest compared to an AP guest, then yes, it makes a ton of sense that DLR limits the AP portion of its every day capacity in order to maximize revenues. In other words, yield management at work. A Magic Key holder might gripe and complain about their now-limited access, but this is a function of the very success of Disneyland. You can't have unlimited access to the parks for all or most guests and then complain about park attendance impacting your overall satisfaction. Factor in the money aspect to this equation and it's easy to see why TDA is making a spontaneous visit from a local much harder.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
                      I’m sure there are people who are having a pleasant experience with their keys, especially those who have weekdays free. To them I say, “more power to you.”
                      So far, I am this person. Not saying this to defend Disney at ALL - more to illustrate the point that a VERY tiny subset of Key holders/prospective key holders are like me. I am in Northern California. Even pre-pandemic, our Disney trips were during mostly non-busy times ( mid September, beginning of November, first week of May, maybe a few other random trips). We have some flexibility in which exact weeks we go. When we do visit, we go for 5 weekdays, maybe adding one weekend day each trip. So the amount of reservations is perfect for us, and so far (September and November), I haven't had an issue getting them. The amount of visits we make in a year "covers" the key price. Because of these extremely specific reasons, our key experience has so far, been fine. But how many folks are like us? We just so happen to have Disney habits that fit the mold. Mickey forbid I wanted to squeeze in a Christmas time visit. I wouldn't even be able to make a reservation until after the first day of our November trip and reservations are LONG gone by then. I can see how extremely frustrating that would be. I'm not holding my breath that my experience will remain pleasant, that's for sure.

Comment

Sound like my old job.........Just a Number........

Disney like there number , with this $ and $ and $
                        Your not a guest.....but a Money Machine !
                        imo
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Based on my day today with a large party with various types of tickets - there definitely is a new wrinkle. The Magic Key passes did get a Rise boarding pass at noon - but they were "backup groups" #284 which was called conveniently with a half hour window - 8:30pm to 9:00pm which meant no watching fireworks. The paid tickets did get boarding groups after our Magic Key passes said we missed the 7am group, and I have this down to a science pressing that refresh button "on the dot" so I never missed... Until now.

I'm guessing it's a new yield management algorithm - if there is high demand and high paid ticket reservations then the Magic Keys are bumped to lowest priority if they've already been on the ride in the past.

I wonder what would happen if a Magic Key holder acts as the tour guide for visiting friends/family who have day passes, all the tickets get linked, and then the group tries to get boarding passes. Will the group be considered day guests and wind up in that "bucket" (hence get tickets), or will it depend on whose phone or main "account" is the one trying to get the passes?

Were all your passes linked as a party, or did everyone/certain groups try on their own? I thought someone once posted on here that multiple people in a linked group can all be trying for boarding passes at once?

(Sorry, again probably a moot discussion. My money -say $5- :-) is on Stormy's idea: That boarding groups are going to go away, just in time to allow lines to artificially inflate in preparation for Genie+/Lightning Lane sales.)

Comment

"""WERE IS MY FOOD ORDER""""""

I’m sure there are people ,who are having more pleasant experience ?
                            Last edited by Eagleman; 09-27-2021, 09:05 PM.
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by JoFi View Post

So far, I am this person. Not saying this to defend Disney at ALL - more to illustrate the point that a VERY tiny subset of Key holders/prospective key holders are like me. I am in Northern California. Even pre-pandemic, our Disney trips were during mostly non-busy times ( mid September, beginning of November, first week of May, maybe a few other random trips). We have some flexibility in which exact weeks we go. When we do visit, we go for 5 weekdays, maybe adding one weekend day each trip. So the amount of reservations is perfect for us, and so far (September and November), I haven't had an issue getting them. The amount of visits we make in a year "covers" the key price. Because of these extremely specific reasons, our key experience has so far, been fine. But how many folks are like us? We just so happen to have Disney habits that fit the mold. Mickey forbid I wanted to squeeze in a Christmas time visit. I wouldn't even be able to make a reservation until after the first day of our November trip and reservations are LONG gone by then. I can see how extremely frustrating that would be. I'm not holding my breath that my experience will remain pleasant, that's for sure.
                              Yep! I have friends who have Magic Keys, and the reviews are mixed, hence why I can't bring myself to totally dunk on them. I think most of the complaints are coming from those who have trouble booking reservations on weekends, and those who go waaay above the average 9-5 joe.

I have my biases because, again, my old Flex ($599) is now considered a Believe Key ($1,399). The Flex didn't have many block-out dates, and was probably the best bargain at its time!

I'm sure later down the line maybe the Magic Key will be slightly more tempting to me as a consumer (i.e. they bring back more nightly entertainment, the attractions I enjoy open back up after a good refurb). For now, I'm still willing to wait, and even then... a single-day ticket might do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by nostalgic View Post

I wonder what would happen if a Magic Key holder acts as the tour guide for visiting friends/family who have day passes, all the tickets get linked, and then the group tries to get boarding passes. Will the group be considered day guests and wind up in that "bucket" (hence get tickets), or will it depend on whose phone or main "account" is the one trying to get the passes?

Were all your passes linked as a party, or did everyone/certain groups try on their own? I thought someone once posted on here that multiple people in a linked group can all be trying for boarding passes at once?

(Sorry, again probably a moot discussion. My money -say $5- :-) is on Stormy's idea: That boarding groups are going to go away, just in time to allow lines to artificially inflate in preparation for Genie+/Lightning Lane sales.)
                                So usually we are the "tour guides" in the scenario you described, and the fact we didn't all get our tickets linked is what revealed the fact that the Magic Keys are getting put to the back of the line for boarding passes now.

And as far as some of the comments elsewhere saying that it's frustrating that boarding passes are gone in ten seconds - you're giving them too much credit. It is now LESS THAN ONE SECOND on the weekends. I should not have to use the precise second hand on a smart watch to have any chance of getting a ticket. Pressing at 6:59:59.7 seconds or you don't get it is pretty ridiculous.

I hate to say but if the plan is to kill the boarding passes and offer paid Genie+ then just do it already. Don't continue playing this Chapek yield management game with your customers.

Comment

So usually we are the "tour guides" in the scenario you described, and the fact we didn't all get our tickets linked is what revealed the fact that the Magic Keys are getting put to the back of the line for boarding passes now.

And as far as some of the comments elsewhere saying that it's frustrating that boarding passes are gone in ten seconds - you're giving them too much credit. It is now LESS THAN ONE SECOND on the weekends. I should not have to use the precise second hand on a smart watch to have any chance of getting a ticket. Pressing at 6:59:59.7 seconds or you don't get it is pretty ridiculous.

I hate to say but if the plan is to kill the boarding passes and offer paid Genie+ then just do it already. Don't continue playing this Chapek yield management game with your customers.
                                  I still find it mind boggling that as a tourist I could go on a trip and potentially never actually have a shot at riding two of Disney’s latest attractions. Please correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve never heard of that before in any other major theme park. Was at the opening few days of Diagon Alley by chance and we had to wait but had the choice to do so to ride both the new Potter rides which were insanely popular at the time, Uni didn’t seem to need the boarding groups.....

Comment

Our annual Disneyland visit was last week, Monday-Friday. We were incredibly nervous about missing out on the new rides, especially because our sons are Star Wars fans.

We had no trouble getting boarding groups every time we joined, at both 7am and noon. It sure beats waiting in line for hours and missing out on riding everything else, especially when you only visit once a year.

So, as a tourist, we ended up being fans of the VQ system.

Comment

Originally posted by rld275501 View Post
                                      Not me, I really enjoyed it, Just went again for the first time since the pandemic with family on Monday, September 20th the crowds were so much lighter. This has to do with the Reservations, right? Or is the capacity still lower than pre-pandemic levels, and that is why? The only issue is digging through email and being expected to access the app on Disney Wifi. Not to derail the thread, but DisneyWifi is horrendous.
                                      Wait till bobby cheapsack starts charging you for that Wifi.
                                      Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Did people really think reservations would continue to be easy to get? This is exactly how reservations are supposed to, and expected to work. Just as restaurants have been booked up at Disney for months ahead of time. It is clearly noted in the sales pitch of these Magic Keys. Even Micechat articles discuss this.
                                        I think people now know they need to reserve ahead of time so the dates book up fast, but keep checking and dates open up. I refreshed the screen 5 times this afternoon and dates opened up 2 weeks from now.
                                        Disney doesn't want every Friday or weekend afternoon to fill up to un-managable capacity and reducing the experience of all guests by locals filling the parks.
                                        I recall Dusty Sage mentioning that people should keep in mind that reservations won't always be easy to get and that 3 or 4 day tickets might be a better option for visiting the parks.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post

Wait till bobby cheapsack starts charging you for that Wifi.
                                          LOL.......I can ,see it done........
                                          Di$ney sale-ing
                                          Wi Fi -App's - with the guest phone-so the guest can do the work ,for Disney $$

"What is really Bad......we giving Bobby another Ideal"

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X