Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About the "selling your data" thing, if you're not paying for an app on your phone, it's probably selling your data. The websites you visit are probably selling your data (those pop ups asking you about cookies are because of California law more or less. If that's the issue somebody has with it, they probably are better off without a smart phone. "Selling your data" isn't a Disney thing, that's just the internet connected world we live in.

While I don't mean to be dismissive of the concerns/complaints of those who have gone since re-opening, I agree that the issue is not the concept of mobile ordering, but the implementation of it. Disney should not be funneling the majority of guests into mobile order when it's become clear they do not have the capacity to serve everyone trying to use mobile order. They should not be opening only one standby line. That having been said, I suspect this is maybe fundamentally a staffing issue. Perhaps COVID restrictions have limited the number of kitchen staff, or that they don't have enough cast members at the restaurants. I am just speculating, but is it possible the limited number of mobile orders and reservations reflects the upper end of what DLR is currently able to serve on any given day?

Comment

I wonder how long (if ever) it will take Disney Inc to notice that people with phones in their hands can't carry souvenirs or eat food. I don't walk around with my phone in my hand, especially in Disneyland. It's an escape from today, not a mall. Er, /was/ anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JLee1226 View Post
        ...While I don't mean to be dismissive of the concerns/complaints of those who have gone since re-opening, I agree that the issue is not the concept of mobile ordering, but the implementation of it. Disney should not be funneling the majority of guests into mobile order when it's become clear they do not have the capacity to serve everyone trying to use mobile order. They should not be opening only one standby line. That having been said, I suspect this is maybe fundamentally a staffing issue. Perhaps COVID restrictions have limited the number of kitchen staff, or that they don't have enough cast members at the restaurants. I am just speculating, but is it possible the limited number of mobile orders and reservations reflects the upper end of what DLR is currently able to serve on any given day?
        I suspect Disneyland's staffing issues are self-made. Once a premiere place of employment, now there are any number of So Cal employers that pay more, give more flexible hours, offer better benefits, treat employees better, and subject them to less stress.

Disney appears to be under no pressure to compete for employees. Why would they? Every day that DLR operates with reduced staffing is money in the bank. The customers may complain but it doesn't stop them from packing the parks -- as photos from this week's MiceChat Disneyland Update show:

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=8648102&d=1633969198.jpg Views:	0 Size:	335.7 KB ID:	8648193

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=8648101&d=1633969172.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.2 KB ID:	8648194
        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Creating a false scarcity of favorite treats to force migration to the new platform is a cynical practice. Dole Whip is just an instant squirt-out soft serve. If the lines are too long due to popularity you buy another machine and squirt out some more - problem solved. The machines can't be that expensive as Marvel's office received one as a bonus from BC. Yet people play into the FOMO game and then evangelize about what must be done so they'll allow you to buy soft serve ice cream? The whole thing is a ruse, a con -- or as Walt warned: sharp practices designed to milk your pocketbook.

Remember one the earliest tech attempts to track your information, cuddly plush My Friend Mickey? You were supposed to carry him along through the park to get special tips while his sensors tattled on your doings. Never been a friend like Genie? My Friend the Smartphone.
          Last edited by merlinjones; 10-13-2021, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

I suspect Disneyland's staffing issues are self-made. Once a premiere place of employment, now there are any number of So Cal employers that pay more, give more flexible hours, offer better benefits, treat employees better, and subject them to less stress.
            This is probably partially the explanation, but I also think that Disney is facing the same staffing shortages that many other companies have reported.

The shortage of workers in many industries, but especially hospitality, has been well reported. I went to a McDonald's in exurban Minnesota recently and they were offering $14.50 as a starting wage. I'd be surprised if Disney's staffing shortage was due to a single explanatory factor, but it doesn't seem like Disney is increasing wages, benefits, or improving working conditions to attract workers either.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGoat View Post
              I wonder how long (if ever) it will take Disney Inc to notice that people with phones in their hands can't carry souvenirs or eat food. I don't walk around with my phone in my hand, especially in Disneyland. It's an escape from today, not a mall. Er, /was/ anyway.
              I would be surprised if most people don't buy food or a souvenir because they're already holding something that they can't put down.

Comment

While I don't mean to be dismissive of the concerns/complaints of those who have gone since re-opening, I agree that the issue is not the concept of mobile ordering, but the implementation of it. Disney should not be funneling the majority of guests into mobile order when it's become clear they do not have the capacity to serve everyone trying to use mobile order. They should not be opening only one standby line.

I've always been a believer that you have to meet people where they are and give them the ability to customize. That's why I was a big fan of the 2019 versions of fastpass and mobile order. You don't like standing in lines? Great, you can order ahead or defer the line until later in the day. Forcing people into single options is bad customer service.

Similarly, forcing people into mobile order is a bad idea. There should always be analog versions of ordering food, fastpasses, maps, time guides, whatever so people who don't want to use their phones don't have to.
                Last edited by Co Foo; 10-13-2021, 08:03 AM.

Comment

...really? Didn't realize using my phone alleviated my human need to eat or drink.

I can't speak for everyone who uses a phone in the park, but as a former Max Pass user, the idea that phone use inhibits the purchase of souvenirs or food is absurd to the point of being borderline stupid. I get that there are folks out there who don't want to use their phone. Fine, different strokes and all. But I don't view my phone as ruining my escapism, I view it as a tool which makes my visits more convenient.

Again, I understand the significant issues with mobile order currently, so my comments are not meant to apply to the current state of things. Having said that, the last few times I was in the parks (Oct 2019, Jan 2020): mobile ordering provided a convenient option for food; the Play Disney Parks app got me to buy a limited ROTR pin; and reservations were made in app (in advance, obviously) for Blue Bayou, Oga's, and Carthay circle. To say nothing of the added convenience of Max Pass. If we're going to turn every thread into a referendum on phone use, here is the flip side. The Disneyland app made my past few visits quite enjoyable.

​​​​

Disney appears to be under no pressure to compete for employees. Why would they? Every day that DLR operates with reduced staffing is money in the bank. The customers may complain but it doesn't stop them from packing the parks -- as photos from this week's MiceChat Disneyland Update show:

Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=8648102&d=1633969198.jpg Views:	0 Size:	335.7 KB ID:	8648193

Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=8648101&d=1633969172.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.2 KB ID:	8648194
                  Yes, this country is currently experiencing a wage crisis.
                  Last edited by JLee1226; 10-13-2021, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Delete
                    Last edited by Co Foo; 10-13-2021, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

I want to give Disney a little bit of credit here... the fuel rod is a one-time purchase of $30, and you can swap it as many times as you like throughout the day/week/year / however long those machines stick around. There is definitely a possibility that Disney changes the phone charging game to make extra profit, but for now, the average guest only needs to pay once and they are set for however long they bring the fuel rod with them.

I always have the fuel rod on my checklist when I am packing for a Disney day.
                      Fuelrod is operated by a third party yeah? Didn't they try to end the unlimited swaps and got hit with a class action suit and then had to backtrack to grandfather in existing customers? Do new customers also get unlimited swaps? I don't use fuel rods, but am genuinely interested in the current state of the product.

Comment

Originally posted by savarese04 View Post

Fuelrod is operated by a third party yeah? Didn't they try to end the unlimited swaps and got hit with a class action suit and then had to backtrack to grandfather in existing customers? Do new customers also get unlimited swaps? I don't use fuel rods, but am genuinely interested in the current state of the product.
                        On my last trip, it looked like new customers could still get unlimited swaps. The machines don't require a cast member, so it's not like anyone can verify -- you basically slip the battery into the machine, and out pops a fresh new one for you to use. No credit card/app is necessary for the swap itself.

Comment

...really? Didn't realize using my phone alleviated my human need to eat or drink.
                          Or any other human needs that require alleviation in the park....

Comment

@Co Foo and JLee1226, it was just a thought. I, personally, feel that I will be affected if I have to have my phone in my/at hand all day, but I guess you felt the need to make me your joke because of it. So, thanks for that. What fun! Have a great day.

Comment

@Co Foo and JLee1226, it was just a thought. I, personally, feel that I will be affected if I have to have my phone in my/at hand all day, but I guess you felt the need to make me your joke because of it. So, thanks for that. What fun! Have a great day.
                              Like I said guy, different strokes. You do you. We don't have to all experience the parks in the same way.

If you were only speaking to your experience I probably would have passed over your comment. But you added a broad generalization about "people with phones in their hands," making the comment not just about you, personally. To claim phone use in a Disney Park would inhibit someone from eating or buying souvenirs is simply nonsensical when they've been emphasizing mobile orders for food and recently started a pilot mobile checkout so people can literally buy souvenirs with their phones.
                              ​​​
                              Moreover, as I alluded to earlier, if you go back to the OP, nostalgic was not soliciting general opinions on phone use in the park. They started this thread to try and learn about the virtual queue process. It's always the anti-phone folks who feel compelled to chime in with their opinions on mobile use, whether said opinions are germane to the topic at hand or no.

(And like, really? You REALLY think someone can't resolve their hunger because they are looking at a phone? What is it exactly you think we are doing all day?)
                              Last edited by JLee1226; 10-14-2021, 07:59 AM. Reason: Grammar check

Comment

...If you were only speaking to your experience I probably would have passed over your comment. But you added a broad generalization about "people with phones in their hands," making the comment not just about you, personally. To claim phone use in a Disney Park would inhibit someone from eating or buying souvenirs is simply nonsensical when they've been emphasizing mobile orders for food and recently started a pilot mobile checkout so people can literally buy souvenirs with their phones.
                                ​​​
                                Moreover, as I alluded to earlier, if you go back to the OP, nostalgic was not soliciting general opinions on phone use in the park. They started this thread to try and learn about the virtual queue process. It's always the anti-phone folks who feel compelled to chime in with their opinions on mobile use, whether said opinions germane to the topic at hand or no....
                                Speaking of "broad generalizations"...

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                - Bob Chapek

Comment

Speaking of "broad generalizations"...

Considering merlinjones, eagleman, yourself, and thumperrr all posted anti-mobile sentiment in this thread that was totally unconnected to the OP's request for help with the virtual queue, I don't see how it's a broad generalization.

Comment

Hello Mice Chatters: just had a visit to Disneyland , WED, 10/13. tried some of the tips gathered. Accessed my Star Wars boarding pass from home. Able to be placed in the 1 pm queue. Parked in Toy story lot. Bag check is completed there. Board the bus, dropped off at the esplanade, before 8 am. Nice not do long walk, avoid bag check near Downtown Disney…very crowded.
                                    after entry into the park…Mickey and Minnie were there to welcome guests. Of course took a picture by them. Wow! First hour…if you have defined itinerary…short waits for rides!
                                    (Haunted Mansion was the exception)
                                    then, it just depended , become a little more impacted. By 10:00. It seemed crowds were there, but not squashed, tolerable. I did use phone to check on wait times, to decide what to do next.
                                    had reservations to Tortilla Joe’s at that time, also. Called and changed them to 11:30. ( Hubby enjoys sit down Mexican restaurants)
                                    noted many families, many wearing Halloween garb…maybe attending themed event at DCA later? As most had costumes on. most taking pictures…constantly, as I believe you also have access to Photo services, free.
                                    At lunch, mobile ordered pumpkin cheesecake at Jolly Holiday, pick up on the way out after Star Wars RRS. checkout Star Wars Land ( no shade in hot weather) felt like it was a movie set for the movies. like looking at everything. noted standby lanes for that ride were in place. Get the boarding pass code…and then you are in another queue. afterwards…Hubby’s comment ,”Well, that was different.” Hmmm…. All riders were gushing over the ride…saying this is their favorite.
                                    mobile pickup had separate line. a 30” minute window to pickup. It was available at the 30” mark.
                                    I try to limit my phone time. Do use it to store passes, use discounts. also have charged battery pak of my own. I can charge phone (in Purse) in line waiting for something.
                                    husband notes…the Disney crowd must be older , as many electric scooters but I thought the opposite , as many families, kids all ages. Strollers, infant carry pouches.
                                    I try to limit phone use. Saw many playing games, texting…and a million photos shots. I think we had 3.

all CM in Disney and Downtown Disney, pleasant, friendly. Helped me figure out the boarding pass code to enter RRS ride (experience). helped me with Disney app…very patient.
                                    place clean…even bathrooms. Rode Alice in Wonderland , broke down..walk us out through maintenance shop. Later when ride was up, they let us back in in front of line.

Comment

Considering merlinjones, eagleman, yourself, and thumperrr all posted anti-mobile sentiment in this thread that was totally unconnected to the OP's request for help with the virtual queue, I don't see how it's a broad generalization.
                                      One of the unwritten rules of MiceChat is that you're not supposed to call out individual posters by name, no matter what their track record is. You're supposed to talk about everything at the highest level so as to not get accused of making a personal attack. But if you avoid calling someone out by name and speaking at a high level, then you get accused of making a broad generalization.

Obviously there is a contingent of folks who are consistently opposed to phones as a tool in the parks. Anyone who reads this board can see that.

Comment

If your post was just about your preference to not use your phone then I would have left it at that. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and as far as I'm concerned that's their business.

However, your post also indicated that Disney made a strategic error by pushing so much onto digital devices because food and souvenir sales would go down. That seems very questionable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                                          I don't have a smartphone.
                                          I don't have one either!

So, re: paper passes or a wrist band or something.... it sounds like I will wait a year or 2 and see how it shakes out. Seriously, when the paid Lightning Lane prices and procedures actually shake out, there will be a way for foreign tourists without US data plans to be able to buy the pass to go on the ride and show an ID or a pass or something. Eventually, I always find a way around the smartphone issue. Or I do without.

I am doing so much deleting...trying to staying on topic
                                          Last edited by nostalgic; 10-14-2021, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X