Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

with Genie+ coming is it time for Disneyland to implement the use of magic bands

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] with Genie+ coming is it time for Disneyland to implement the use of magic bands

I will start out saying I loved maxpass so most of the Genie+ rollout looks great to me, the one thing I always hated with maxpass was having to use my cell phone or a paper park ticket in the fastpass lane. Having done multiple Disney world trips I love the magic band. It is so much more convenient to enter the parks, to redeem fastpasses, and to pay for food and gifts when tied to a credit card. With Genie+ coming is it time to have the magic band option at Disneyland? If your answer is going to be no could you please explain why?
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

I thought the primary reason for no Magic Bands was CA laws on personal tracking information? Although a second reason could be getting 3M passholders or some number to adopt it....

Comment

Originally posted by savarese04 View Post
      I thought the primary reason for no Magic Bands was CA laws on personal tracking information? Although a second reason could be getting 3M passholders or some number to adopt it....
      pretty sure the magic band could still do it's intended purpose without the refid tracking data. I think the passholders were not as deterred by the magic band itself as they were the Fastpass+ concept of only 3 fast passes a day. I am willing to bet money (not a lot since I don't have a lot to bet it all goes to my Disney addiction) that if a Magic Key holder had a magic band that got them into the parks, scanned there Genie+ selections and they could make purchases with the tap of a wrist and a pin number they would see the actual benefits.

Comment

So funny any of this is needed to ride a rollercoaster or eat a corn dog. (roll eyes)

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
          So funny any of this is needed to ride a rollercoaster or eat a corn dog. (roll eyes)
          its not a county fair, the size and the scope of the parks and the number of people that attend them it is very necessary IMO.

Comment

I think the app acts as a magic band of sorts, right?

When I received a complimentary FP for Incredicoaster on Wednesday, they scanned my physical paper ticket, but then the fast pass itself appeared on the "plan" tab on the app. It feels like everything is tied to the app, so I don't see them venturing outside of it, especially since they've shot down plastic magic key cards.

Comment

Smart Phones already have the ability to act as Magic Bands via Bluetooth if disney wanted to switch to an RFID type system in California. I'd prefer not to pay for/wear a magic band.
              Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
                I think the app acts as a magic band of sorts, right?

When I received a complimentary FP for Incredicoaster on Wednesday, they scanned my physical paper ticket, but then the fast pass itself appeared on the "plan" tab on the app. It feels like everything is tied to the app, so I don't see them venturing outside of it, especially since they've shot down plastic magic key cards.
                there is a big difference in time from scanning your phone and tapping a magic band, yes the app does the function but I have done it both ways and scanning the phone for a party of 4 is significantly longer than tapping a magic band for each person. That is the benefit for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

pretty sure the magic band could still do it's intended purpose without the refid tracking data. I think the passholders were not as deterred by the magic band itself as they were the Fastpass+ concept of only 3 fast passes a day. I am willing to bet money (not a lot since I don't have a lot to bet it all goes to my Disney addiction) that if a Magic Key holder had a magic band that got them into the parks, scanned there Genie+ selections and they could make purchases with the tap of a wrist and a pin number they would see the actual benefits.
                  the whole magicband tech is built around 2 RFID sensors. without RFID you have a piece of plastic that does nothing. Disney is not going to rearchitect something just for CA nor would I expect them to. The 3 fastpass part has nothing to do with anything.

Comment

Absolutely not. Magic bands are yesterday's tech.

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                      Should have corn dog with a loop !
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                        Smart Phones already have the ability to act as Magic Bands via Bluetooth if disney wanted to switch to an RFID type system in California. I'd prefer not to pay for/wear a magic band.
                        ^This.

TDA recently chose to implent their CA hotels with early check-in and phone activated locks without involving Magic Bands in either addition. This hints that Disney may be phasing out Magic Bands usage. From a financial aspect, Disney saves money on Genie+, by not actually having to built a device for the program.

The RFID law is a bit ironic (or potentially deliberate), considering Google, Apple and Facebook are all in CA

Comment

the whole magicband tech is built around 2 RFID sensors. without RFID you have a piece of plastic that does nothing. Disney is not going to rearchitect something just for CA nor would I expect them to. The 3 fastpass part has nothing to do with anything.
                          Go back and read any thread from when the Fastpass+ was first introduced and the only thing ever mentioned for not wanting it at Disneyland was the limitation on how many fastpasses you could get. Also it is completely possible to use the RFID sensors without actually tracking the data you simply just don't save and analyze the data.

Comment

Ok so here is another question for all you that fall firmly in my cell phone does everything and why would I need anything else camp, What do you do when you hit dead spots in the parks and you cannot load the pass? If the parks are eliminating paper passes or plastic cards then you have no access. What happens when your cell phone glitches? I have had mine completely die with no ability to get it replaced while I was on my trip. For those that fall into a I don't want it on my wrist camp you realize with the new style band that has a removeable puck you can have it as a key chain or just carry it. Also the system that is already in place to do both in Disney world there are guests that choose to use their cell phone and guest that choose to use the magic band all seem happy with their options.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real McDuck View Post
                              Absolutely not. Magic bands are yesterday's tech.
                              You should let Disney know this since they have released at least 30 new Magic bands for the 50th anniversary alone.

Comment

When we went to WDW in April, we opted out of Magic Bands... 1) They're no longer complimentary with a hotel booking and 2) I don't know when I'll go back to WDW so I wasn't going to buy a bunch of Magic Bands to then sit defunct in a drawer in my house. We were perfectly fine going around the parks without a Magic Band. I used my phone to unlock our hotel room most often.

What I did find odd in WDW was that you can't use the ticket synced to the app on your phone to scan into any of the parks. It had to be a physical card (which they give you at check-in) or a Magic Band... DL is the exact opposite They want you to use the app, not a physical ticket.

It would make more logistical sense to me to get all the parks on the same or more similar technology/ticketing system. DL is my "home" park, so why should I spend $20+ per person in my party to get a wristband that only works at WDW... But I'd agree that eventually Magic Bands will get retired.

Comment

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

Go back and read any thread from when the Fastpass+ was first introduced and the only thing ever mentioned for not wanting it at Disneyland was the limitation on how many fastpasses you could get. Also it is completely possible to use the RFID sensors without actually tracking the data you simply just don't save and analyze the data.
                                  fastpass+ and magicband are mutually exclusive is my point. you can do one without the other. this is not bundled tech. in fact someone wrote a great post about how the system has multiple layers of implementation and how WDW and DLR have chosen to simply implement different layers. Also "just don't save and analyze the data" is not an acceptable alternative from a legal standpoint. Also, the RFID radio has to pass data and the system must store it, otherwise how does it know how to authenticate you?

The larger point here is you asked a question, I have responded, and you're being largely dismissive of that response because it doesn't validate the answer you're looking for, which is that you want magicband at DLR. That much is clear in your OP with "if your answer is no, tell me why." To be extra clear, I would also like magicband at DLR, but have outlined why it won't happen given DLR's operating environment. This is why DLR passes didn't have RFID chips either, when the WDW ones have (and were intended to be magicband alternatives, along with Key to the World)

Comment

No, the usage of a RFID token or device as a substitute for a park ticket is not illegal in California and they are used by other businesses without a problem. Although Disney never turned on their system in CA other amusement type businesses have. They now sell Magic Band clones at Dave and Busters for their game systems that replace their old swipe cards. Also right down the street from Disneyland you'll see RFID wristbands are a requirement at Great Wolf Lodge which has its own water park inside. And of course nearly every hotel today uses combination Bluetooth and RFID readers - the RFID for the guest who still checks in at the front desk and asks for a physical card.

They built all the Fastpass readers with the exact same Magic Band RFID readers they use in Florida plus optical scanners. Someone had a video that was taken down (which is interesting in itself) showing what happens when you tap a WDW Magic Band on a DL Fastpass reader - it read the band then flashed blue as it would in WDW if you didn't have a Fastpass for the ride.

What is not legal in California is any kind of device which would read and collect RFID personal information without your consent. This would amount to a long range reader that also would have to read RFID tags that have long range capability I. E. batteries. The thing is that nobody has such devices on them. Even the RFID tags in your credit cards are not powered so they can't be read from a long range. But in theory if you had a magically powered credit card with antenna, and someone set up a long range reader that could connect to that card and collect specifically Personal Identifying Information from it, that would be illegal. PII in California would be your name, address, phone number. What RFID chip contains all of that? Answer is NOTHING. The RFID law is meaningless.

By the way, retailers are using RFID technology to track customers anyway under the guise of needing to locate their inventory and nobody is holding them accountable under the law. Next time you're shopping near the clothing aisles at Target for example watch their associates as they "scan" the merchandise for ordering purposes - they now just wave their scanning devices around each rack and it will count every item on the rack using RFID, then the antennas mounted on the ceiling elsewhere in the store show them the location of the items that were dumped elsewhere in the store OR are in someone's basket. Saves them hours of scanning physical barcodes. And those overhead RFID antennas track each customers movement, know when you put something in your cart and put it back on the shelf, etc. so they can use that tracking data to better understand how to sell you more merchandise.

In theory - if Disney offered Magic Bands at DL as a ticket media replacement - and they installed long range readers - and they didn't disclose this in your online Disney account which you must use and consent to be able to link a Magic Band to a ticket - and they somehow transferred your name address and phone info to the Magic Band itself - and then somehow retrieved that information again - that would be illegal. But why bother with such an expensive and unnecessary project?

There is a powered GPS and antenna device which everyone carries, and many store their credit cards on, which can be read and tracked legally without your implicit consent in California... Your cell phone. Thus there is no reason to install long range RFID readers because quite frankly it would be an expensive rollout of obsolete technology. The only way they can try to locate you with an RFID reader is triangulation where multiple readers try to "guess" your location which could be off by hundreds of feet unless you are in a building. Your cell phone of course gives your exact location within a few inches, and Disney isn't even paying for the system that locates you - you pay for it because your wireless carrier does the locating. Another technology better than RFID for tracking are cameras which Disney now has everywhere with facial recognition.

​​​​​​So the only two reasons Disney would ever roll out Magic Bands are: 1) if they wanted to sell them as merchandise and thought there would be a good demand for them. 2) if they thought the bands would improve the overall efficiency of ride operations enough to offset the potential loss of phone app data (in the event guests choose to use the band and uninstall the app).

I don't know if there is really a demand for them as merchandise although they do sell some nice collectible ones in Orlando. WDW parks are larger and have more merchandised space so it was easier to find space to sell bands there. Everything at DLR is smaller so they would have to prove that Magic Bands would sell more than another line of merchandise which currently occupies space. I somehow doubt that bands would be more productive from a sales perspective than pins, plush or apparel - that means that Disney would actually lose sales by making space for them here.

And I suspect that they are performing some detailed analysis and study of the app data especially for Magic Key holders to understand if they have successfully convinced them to stay in the parks longer due to the scarcity of reservations. Magic Bands would not be able to provide the same detailed information about when the guest exited the park unless the guest tapped it on a reader at the turnstiles exiting which of course would be a dysfunctional change that would never be implemented.

So at this point I think we will continue to see no Magic Bands in Disneyland. At one point I thought it would happen but that was before the Chapek regime change tried to force behavioral changes on the guests which can only be validated scientifically through app data.
                                    Last edited by ClownLoach; 10-13-2021, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Personally, I like MBs. I've used them with FP+ and without (this last May). What I DON'T like is having to get my phone out of my purse over and over and over to scan in using the 'old' MP. The more you get your phone out of your bag or pocket the more likelihood that you will drop it or bang it against something. At DL I always scanned in with the paper ticket just so I didn't have to get my phone out. Much easier. Plus it's not always easy to get a phone out of a purse, especially if you try to keep your bag as small as possible.

With MB all you do is lift your wrist and scan, easy peasy. Plus MBs automatically load (most) on-ride photos to MDE, there's no waiting around to see your picture or trying to remember numbers to order them. MBs were handy last May even with no FP to scan into Ft Wilderness, scan into the parking lots, the 'turnstiles', etc. It can also be used as a payment method, although I didn't do that.

What I would LOVE would be a Disney App for Apple Watch that acted like an MB. The haptics would remind you that it's time for your LL/LL+ and you'd be able to use your watch to scan in at the ride.

I don't get what the big fuss against FP+ was (although it wouldn't have worked at DL). At WDW it worked just fine for us. We pre-scheduled our 3 a day, once those were used we booked new ones, one at a time.
                                      "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

fastpass+ and magicband are mutually exclusive is my point. you can do one without the other. this is not bundled tech. in fact someone wrote a great post about how the system has multiple layers of implementation and how WDW and DLR have chosen to simply implement different layers. Also "just don't save and analyze the data" is not an acceptable alternative from a legal standpoint. Also, the RFID radio has to pass data and the system must store it, otherwise how does it know how to authenticate you?

The larger point here is you asked a question, I have responded, and you're being largely dismissive of that response because it doesn't validate the answer you're looking for, which is that you want magicband at DLR. That much is clear in your OP with "if your answer is no, tell me why." To be extra clear, I would also like magicband at DLR, but have outlined why it won't happen given DLR's operating environment. This is why DLR passes didn't have RFID chips either, when the WDW ones have (and were intended to be magicband alternatives, along with Key to the World)
                                        See now this is a response I can get behind because it actually explains your point of view, I could care less if my point of view is validated, I have just used the system that both parks have used and prefer one over the other, I have had problems using my cell phone for the service provided and have had zero issues when I have used the magic band. I can't wrap my head around the company spending the money they did to develop a product that actually makes things easier and then only implement it at one resort. I just feel like (personal opinion) they should offer the ability to do both, the infrastructure is already there. Also Magic bands will be used for the Genie+/lightening lane system in Florida so not exclusive to Fastpass+ (which was a system I was not a fan of, not that my opinion matters)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X