Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

with Genie+ coming is it time for Disneyland to implement the use of magic bands

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
    So Magic Band+ can be used instead of Genie/cell phone - or now you will need both?
    If it's similar to WDW I'd assume you'll still be able to use your cell phone without using a MB. But you won't be able to use a MB without having used your cell phone to 'set things up'. You'll use your phone/Genie to select your LL/LL+ passes and make ADRs, park reservations, etc and I assume you'd still be able to 'scan in' with a phone. But you can use your MB to 'scan in' at the front gates, at the LL entrances, or as a form of payment (if you attached a payment card). I think just about the only thing I still did on my phone was 'check in' at restaurants when we showed up for our reservation. I don't remember scanning my MB at a restaurant to check in.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Geeee -Disney should know , how to track.....Guest
      IMO
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I was in DL today, and noticed that Magic Band readers are starting to go up. It’s only a matter of time.
        Disney visits over the years:
        • Disneyland, December 2000 (plus Legoland)
        • Disneyland, Summer 2003 (plus Legoland, SeaWorld, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Model Railroad Museum, and Knott's Berry Farm)
        • Disneyland, December 26, 2004-January 2, 2005 (mom's 40th birthday at Plaza Inn; New Year's at Disneyland)
        • Disneyland, July 2005 (Pre-Disney Cruise visit)
        • Walt Disney World, December 15-25, 2006 (plus Kennedy Space Center)
        • Disneyland, August 2007
        • Disneyland, July 1-4, 2009
        • Disneyland, July 2011 (plus Universal Studios)
        • Disneyland, November 2011 (dad's 50th birthday)
        • Disneyland, June 2013
        • Walt Disney World, July-August 2013 (plus Universal CityWalk)
        • Disneyland, June 7-8 2014
        • Disneyland, December 27-31 2014 (mom's 50th birthday; my tenth visit)
        • Disneyland, Summer 2015 (plus Universal Studios)

Comment

For those asking about using a smart watch instead of a Magic Band, you can use an Apple Watch.

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/que...tch-id-450375/

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
            So Magic Band+ can be used instead of Genie/cell phone - or now you will need both?
            you would still need your cell phone to book Genie+ attractions just like maxpass but you would redeem those with the magic band which is much more efficient.
            BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post
              I'm excited for this change.
              BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

As a frequent user at WDW I am excited for this. Will depend on how well Disney puts it to use as would love to see it used for Genie+ and make sure people are not cutting the lines.

Comment

If anyone is masochistic like I am, I highly recommend watching this extremely long but informative video on the history of Fastpass, Fastpass +, and Maxpass:

Disney's FastPass: A Complicated History (release November 21, 2021, created by Defunctland)
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yjZpBq1XBE

It dives into MagicBands (which I have very little experience with), and the pros and cons, and it gives you a good idea of where Disney might be going with these recent changes.

While it's sad that the system is becoming a bit classist, FastPass was a monster that needed to be dealt with. Hopefully, the payments benefit both Standby and FastPass going forward (as operations originally intended the system to work, but for free).

Also, a prediction based on WDW's own issues with the MagicBands... Disneyland might have some growing pains, especially when its WiFi is more or less spotty these days, and the implementation of MagicBands might add stress to the system.

Comment

A post from the reader's comment section of today's MiceChat Disneyland Update:

Originally posted by DustySage
                    It’s not that Magic Bands by themselves will ruin anything, it’s just more unnecessary technology where none is necessary. The park experience was much more enjoyable when you could simply visit when you wanted, get in line when and where you wanted, eat when and where you wanted, and explore the park without Mobile anything. This hyper-planning paradox is sucking the joy out of the park experience and handcuffing guests in unnecessary ways. WDW was so much more enjoyable before all these changes… now they are bringing all that damage here to Disneyland.
                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                      A post from the reader's comment section of today's MiceChat Disneyland Update:

Originally posted by DustySage

It’s not that Magic Bands by themselves will ruin anything, it’s just more unnecessary technology where none is necessary. The park experience was much more enjoyable when you could simply visit when you wanted, get in line when and where you wanted, eat when and where you wanted, and explore the park without Mobile anything. This hyper-planning paradox is sucking the joy out of the park experience and handcuffing guests in unnecessary ways. WDW was so much more enjoyable before all these changes… now they are bringing all that damage here to Disneyland.
                      Once Again - I agree with Dusty

I also feel it another way for tracking, of the GUEST 's ........

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

Once Again - I agree with Dusty

I also feel it another way for tracking, of the GUEST 's ........

Tracking? RFID chips have nothing on your cell phone. The closest they can track one of these chips is by triangulation with multiple antennas. Difficult, inaccurate, and highly labor intensive. Your phone tells them your precise geographic coordinates via their mandatory app, and the best part is that it's at your expense. The whole "RFID chips will lead to mass surveillance" BS is a red herring, probably perpetuated by the cell phone industry that gladly sells your precise location history to anyone and everyone.
                        Last edited by ClownLoach; 11-23-2021, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BNSF1995 View Post
                          I was in DL today, and noticed that Magic Band readers are starting to go up. It’s only a matter of time.
                          They've been there since 2017. The circle on top of the Fastpass barcode scanners at the ride entrances is the Magic Band reader. They just didn't apply the Mickey decal as WDW has. Even back then if you brought a Magic Band to Disneyland and touched it to the reader it would light up blue in error (as there were no Fastpasses issued with that RFID tag number). Disneyland is already on their second or third generation (pin pads and mobile registers for example).

This is more of an industry change and Disney is late to the party because they like to try to go their own way instead of adopt standards. Barcodes are rapidly going away in ticketing applications due to rampant targeted fraud. By the time Disney has finished this transition to RFID and NFC wireless technology I am sure the rest of the world will be done with barcodes, magnetic strips and even the current chip based credit cards. Maybe rapid change barcodes will survive through 2022 but not much further. All the major sports leagues and most Ticketmaster venues have already moved to only rapid change barcodes while Disney hasn't even finished installing readers for them.
                          ​​​​​.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownLoach View Post

Tracking? RFID chips have nothing on your cell phone. The closest they can track one of these chips is by triangulation with multiple antennas. Difficult, inaccurate, and highly labor intensive. Your phone tells them your precise geographic coordinates via their mandatory app, and the best part is that it's at your expense. The whole "RFID chips will lead to mass surveillance" BS is a red herring, probably perpetuated by the cell phone industry that gladly sells your precise location history to anyone and everyone.
                            Thanks for information.....I think you would know.....
                            you more up to date......of knowing
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X