Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There my still be hope for Disneyland

This year is the first time in 30 years that I have zero interest in going to Disneyland during this holiday season. Yesterday I was telling my honey, who grew up in Southern CA, how truly disgusted I am by how they have ruined the park for me. She told me that this isn't the first time the Disneyland experience has been trashed by the people in charge. She said that I shouldn't worry too much because it has always recovered in the past and she sees no reason to believe it won't this time. It's the first time in three years that I've had a reason to feel even slightly optimistic. Do any of you others with decades of park experience believe that the policies put in place recently that have destroyed the Disneyland magic for people like me will be repealed or are we just screwed?

Originally posted by Norcalxx View Post
    Do any of you others with decades of park experience believe that the policies put in place recently that have destroyed the Disneyland magic for people like me will be repealed or are we just screwed?
    Your wife is right. Disney has recovered in the past.

Consider that the Second Golden Age came after a pretty disastrous period for Walt Disney Pictures.

And Disneyland itself went through a pretty good period once they got rid of Eisner.

Disneyland can recover if the right people are put in charge.

Will they? I don't know. Can they? Sure. Anything is possible.

Comment

I needed this tonight (a friend sent me the link):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_w6eL3QlAs

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
        I needed this tonight (a friend sent me the link):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_w6eL3QlAs
        Thanks for the link Merlin. I've heard of this video before, and apparently it's archived by the Library of Congress, which is pretty neat.
        Last edited by Brian PieGuy; 10-15-2021, 12:31 PM.
        Brian the Pooh

Comment

I’d like to say things will get better but what concerns me is the move of Imagineering and other administrative departments to Orlando. We are already starting to see a defection of talented imagineers who are refusing to make the move and in my opinion it’s only going to get worse. See here: https://insidethemagic.net/2021/10/k...es-disney-ad1/

I am sure that there is a plethora of new, younger talent out there that Disney can hire but that is part of the plan. New talent doesn’t cost as much as imagineers who have been around for a long time. And being new to the company, a new hire is more likely to tow the company line which in Disney’s case is to disregard creativity in order to build things on the cheap.

Walt Disney once said that Disneyland will never be complete as long as there is imagination left in the world. I’m afraid the move to Orlando has sealed its fate. Disneyland is done.
          Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 10-15-2021, 03:22 AM.

Comment

I don't think Disney will ever go back to the old AP system where you can drop in anytime without a reservation. I think that's gone forever.

I think a free form of FastPass is gone forever, too. No other theme parks that I'm aware of ever had a free line skip option, so it was probably inevitable that Disney would get rid of it eventually.

Moving more operations to Orlando is unfortunate, but also inevitable. For companies that have the option of relocating, it's tough to justify the higher costs of California. It is what it is.

Other things like staffing shortages are more temporary and will probably get better in the future.

Comment

If you love Disneyland the best thing you can do right now is to leave it. Stop supporting policies and management that are intentionally trying to ruin Disneyland. If enough people take stand and turn their backs on the parks, and people in charge of them, Disneyland will change for the better. We are already seeing the social media types turn on the greedy mouse and they are key to getting rid of the policies and the idiots currently in charge. So yes, we should all have hope that one day we can return to our beloved Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                If you love Disneyland the best thing you can do right now is to leave it. Stop supporting policies and management that are intentionally trying to ruin Disneyland. If enough people take stand and turn their backs on the parks, and people in charge of them, Disneyland will change for the better. We are already seeing the social media types turn on the greedy mouse and they are key to getting rid of the policies and the idiots currently in charge. So yes, we should all have hope that one day we can return to our beloved Disneyland.
                Exactly. As long as customers continue to vote Yes with their wallets, Disney will continue cutting the product and increasing the price.
                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0R9kEnu4zo

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Exactly. As long as customers continue to vote Yes with their wallets, Disney will continue cutting the product and increasing the price.
                    I lost HOPE...to many change with today Disney........for the worst.......
                    I feel "GREED" have taken over.
                    IMO
                    I still Vote NO with my wallet.......
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I don’t know. I just spent a miserable four days at DLR. Everything feels broken beyond repair. I’m done with Disney parks and at this moment I can’t imagine going back.

Comment

Sadly, as opposed to Disneyland, there would appear to be absolutely zero hope for me EVER remembering to proofread things I post on the interner.

Comment

As a man in his 50's who's earliest memories are of Disney. Who raised his daughter on Disney. All i can say is soo many things dear to me have been ruined by what's been called an improvement. And I was married at DLR and honeymooned at WDW. Did the Disney cruise and came home with a "little souvenir." I guess another generation will grow up with Disney not knowing how it used to be and therefore will grow to love it as I did? You know, they should really put in a new land, Yesterland. With a warning sign to all those easily offended and or demanding change for those of us who never wanted said change in the first place. Bring back Monsanto's shrinking machine!
                          My wife is the rebel spy.

Comment

I'm in my 50s now. Maybe some of you that have more Micechat Forum experience than me can help me out. Is it possible that the changes at Disneyland really aren't as horrific as they seem but rather I've just entered that "GET OFF MY LAWN!!" phase of life?
                            Last edited by Norcalxx; 10-16-2021, 04:51 PM. Reason: Old dude computer skills.

Comment

I'm in my 50s now. Maybe some of you that have more Micechat Forum experience than me can help me out. Is it possible that the changes at Disneyland really aren't as horrific as they seem but rather I've just entered that "GET OFF MY LAWN!!" phase of life?
                              Sorry, but the changes at Disneyland really are as horrific as they seem. Whether one can get used to them, accept them, and pay Disney's ever-increasing price to enjoy them, is another question.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                              - Bob Chapek

Comment

I’m of a ‘ graceful certain age’ that has gotten to enjoy Disneyland for decades and I think at this point this is the 4th ‘down’ Disney period I’ve endured:

Period One: 1973-1977: Minus America Sings was a period of thinking ‘I need to move Orlando since that resort was getting all the cool stuff. Magic Kingdom got Space Mountain in ‘75 and Disneyland just got an update Flight to the Moon/Mission Mars

Period Two: 1981 - 1987: New Fantasyland in ‘83 was nice, but compared to rumors of what was planned and proposed for Discovery Bay, New Fantasyland felt like getting DCA 1.0 instead of Westcot

Period Three: 1997 - 2004: So far, still the worst, with this current period quickly catching up. Under Pressler, this was DCA 1.0, Pooh in 2003, plus the Tomorrowland ‘98 embarrassment (not Tony’s fault; I believe this was a Pressler slashed budget mess up). If likely not for the Save Disney movement, Matt Ouimet and many others, Disneyland 50th anniversary in 2005 would have been an epic joke if that admin. period had continued.

Period Four ‘Retailers Revenge’ 2020 - tbd: Almost a time of ‘yield at all cost’, a Avengers Campus which, IMO, sadly looks cheaper than anything Six Flags would even build, and a just a ‘guest experience whatever’ attitude, this is probably the first time in decades where there is not a single upcoming Disney parks experience years out that looks exciting. I am thinking the upcoming slate will be more cheap off-the-shelf barely themed spinners, flat rides and existing rethemes.

Coming full circle, I see and hear what Universal is doing with Epic Universe (it’s likely how the Imagineers working on DisneySea must have felt) and I really think my family’s next trip out to Orlando will be exclusively on the Universal properties.

But at this point I am at acceptance and almost appreciation. By Disney just doing so many things at the parks that I don’t enjoy and agree with, it’s opened my wallet to diverting those monies planned for Disney Parks experiences and spending them on other things, like visiting national parks, family adventures and just more relaxing non-Disney resorts.

I know and believe Disneyland will get better again someday (I still selfishly hope they eventually return the Court of Angels) and I’ll gladly return when there is enough restoration of the guest experience and ‘wow’ attraction investment to justify my spending money again at Disneyland.

As rough as Chapek and Co. are today (and believe me, those Pressler / Harris years felt like they’d never end during that third period) I believe there is still hope for Disneyland: it is not a question of ‘if’ only a question of ‘when’.

Comment

No they really are that bad. The changes going on now are truly historic and not in a good way. So much so Disney will not have very many young families who can afford to raise their kids with Disney. And those kids will not have any emotional connection to Disney which will reduce the likelihood they attend the parks with their kids. Disney is truly shooting itself in the foot for generations to come.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post

No they really are that bad. The changes going on now are truly historic and not in a good way. So much so Disney will not have very many young families who can afford to raise their kids with Disney. And those kids will not have any emotional connection to Disney which will reduce the likelihood they attend the parks with their kids. Disney is truly shooting itself in the foot for generations to come.
                                    I agree.......
                                    I will never forget.....when I heard at that time CEO IGER said:
                                    Disney Market Place, is for young and teens.

Now things at Disney gotten worst with CEO Chapek
                                    Whole pure market place is WALL-STREET and GREED.
                                    Look at the the Bad Press almost weekly

IMO= It Sad
                                    My emotional connection to Disney is gone......and truth for many years now.
                                    That when ..........I told myself
                                    "THERE MORE TO LIFE than DISNEY"
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by ccinsf View Post
                                      I don’t know. I just spent a miserable four days at DLR. Everything feels broken beyond repair. I’m done with Disney parks and at this moment I can’t imagine going back.
                                      I almost hate to ask…what was so wrong?

Comment

...Is it possible that the changes at Disneyland really aren't as horrific as they seem but rather I've just entered that "GET OFF MY LAWN!!" phase of life?
                                        The lawn is being replaced by astroturf. Both are green but they are not the same thing.

"Here you leave today behind..." was not a flavor, it was the whole point.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X