Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petition to fire Chapek

Spotted elsewhere in Disney News circles, supposedly this petition is being passed around from former Imagineers, though nothing was shown corroborate. Honestly don't know if an online petition will do any good, tend to doubt it. But hey, it only takes a few seconds.

https://chng.it/qqgs6vGVYp

here's the first part of the petition text
    Bob Chapek became the Chairman of Parks and Resorts for Disney in 2015. He has consistently made decisions that decrease the quality of what is put into the parks, and also ones that favor using Intellectual properties instead of original attractions. He consistently put himself and money above the product, and quality of the company.

In early 2020 he became the CEO of the Walt Disney Company which was extremely concerning. Bob Chapek has made an excessive amount of budget cuts, even with the Covid-19 pandemic being considered. Budget cuts began before the pandemic began, and increased. He recently reinstated full executive salaries at Disney, and also has laid off over 28,000 employees throughout the company. And now he is moving the focus to Disney plus, the current big money maker, instead of keeping the parks at high quality.
    (personally, I don't think the IP thing is a very compelling argument, but oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
    Restore Walt's Disneyland: bring back the Aluminum Hall of Fame!

I'd be curious to know how many online petitions actually achieved the goal they were seeking.

Comment

From what I've seen, petitions at or for Disney never stand a chance. Petitions never win

Comment

The petition itself is interesting because not only is it calling for the removal of Chepak it is also suggesting Josh D'amaro be his replacement. The petition was started by a group of retired immagineers and has 5000 signatures. I doubt it will have any impact because the people making that decision are the major stock holders. (I am a minor stock holder and they could care less what I think although I do vote on everything that comes up for a vote.) and their pockets will continuously be full under his by the data not by the heart approach. That is until the product begins to fail because of a lack of creativity and that Disney touch.
        BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Update: The Petition is now at more than 13,000 signatures and counting.

Comment

Petitions rarely do anything unless there is a threshold or goal to be reached to trigger another stage. It did feel really good to sign this one regardless. the signatures are ramping up though as they are now over 14K from just one an hour ago where they were in the 13K range.
            Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

I would freely admit that it's silly to think that the petition will have a direct, causal impact on Chapek's position. If there's enough critical mass, and enough folks in the online Disney fandom are making lots of noise about it though, that may cause at least some consideration of the complaints to be taken. At least, that's what I would aspirationally hope for.
              Restore Walt's Disneyland: bring back the Aluminum Hall of Fame!

Comment

Originally posted by JLee1226 View Post
                I would freely admit that it's silly to think that the petition will have a direct, causal impact on Chapek's position. If there's enough critical mass, and enough folks in the online Disney fandom are making lots of noise about it though, that may cause at least some consideration of the complaints to be taken. At least, that's what I would aspirationally hope for.
                I think these kinds of efforts would be better focused on smaller scale, discrete changes. Online outrage worked when they tried to turn the Main St. Cinema into another souvenir and t-shirt shop. Dramatic, corporation-wide changes like firing a CEO are not going to happen because of an online petition.

Comment

It's unlikely to get Chapek removed, but if it gets enough signatures it could attract the attention of the mainstream media.
                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDP0TWJSgDI

Comment

19,000 signatures and counting. If the rumor was correct about retired Imagineers circulating the petition, then who do you think they were? Rolly Crump? Alice Davis? Bob Gurr? Tony Baxter? Joe Rhode? Or newly departing imagineer Kevin Lively?

Comment

The utility of removing Chapek depends on what kind of person replaces him; I think realistically the odds that it's someone more than marginally better are slim, and the odds that it's someone cut from an entirely different cloth are virtually nil. I know I'm probably in the minority of this, but I think the ship sailed once the company passed out of the hands of people who actually care about the parks and such and into the hands of your typical business person. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. If anything, we're lucky that the decline has been this slow, that so many great things still continue to exist, and that so many of the CMs are still trying to do what they can to keep Walt's original vision alive.

Comment

Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post
                          The utility of removing Chapek depends on what kind of person replaces him; I think realistically the odds that it's someone more than marginally better are slim, and the odds that it's someone cut from an entirely different cloth are virtually nil. I know I'm probably in the minority of this, but I think the ship sailed once the company passed out of the hands of people who actually care about the parks and such and into the hands of your typical business person. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. If anything, we're lucky that the decline has been this slow, that so many great things still continue to exist, and that so many of the CMs are still trying to do what they can to keep Walt's original vision alive.
                          Spot on. Chapek's management style today is the same that got him promoted up the ladder from Home Entertainment to Consumer Products to Parks & Resorts to CEO. We forget that Paul Pressler was on the same track -- his gutting of the parks brought profits that put him on the short list of executives being considered for an eventual Eisner replacement.

Regardless of the name attached to the office, the combination of slashing budgets, minimizing staffing and raising prices is music to Wall Street's ears. We can be assured that any replacement for Chapek will be a virtual clone. The BoD would no more approve a customer-centric executive like Josh D'Amaro for CEO than they would recruit Matt Ouimet for the job.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                          - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post
                            We may not agree on Covid stats, but this I do agree with. Great post.
                            "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

If this petition causes the stock price to climb, Chapek had best start looking for other employment........

The sad reality is that given Disney executive managements past history of completely ignoring stuff like this, and doing whatever will result in the highest possible bonuses, I doubt much will change.

Hope I'm wrong..............

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                It's unlikely to get Chapek removed, but if it gets enough signatures it could attract the attention of the mainstream media.
                                Petition will not put a impact on Chapek's position
                                That the way I feel.......more Bad Press................
                                But Disney has been good to even overlook Bad Press!

Still I like the concept , and get the messages out !
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post
                                  If this petition causes the stock price to climb, Chapek had best start looking for other employment........

The sad reality is that given Disney executive managements past history of completely ignoring stuff like this, and doing whatever will result in the highest possible bonuses, I doubt much will change.

Hope I'm wrong..............
                                  It sure a nice thought anyway .......But that not how wall Street works......sadly
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                                    19,000 signatures and counting. If the rumor was correct about retired Imagineers circulating the petition, then who do you think they were? Rolly Crump? Alice Davis? Bob Gurr? Tony Baxter? Joe Rhode? Or newly departing imagineer Kevin Lively?
                                    I be surprise, if any them would circulating the petitions !
                                    reason
                                    When a person retired
                                    Most likely they sign a paper...stating they not going do any thing ,that would fall back on the company.
                                    I sure Disney have the form ready, when a person retired !
                                    Many corporation have same form......
                                    IMO
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Update #3: The petition is only 250 signatures short of hitting 25,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                                        Update #3: The petition is only 250 signatures short of hitting 25,000.
                                        And less than 20 minutes later it passed 25,000. (Now at 25,252.)

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X