Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Dine or Pass?

Here is a simple, yet entertaining open discussion. Name a restaurant or eatery in the Disneyland Resort you would recomend to visit. And one you recomend against eating at. Or in other words....'Dine or Pass'.

First, a few rules.

1. Only list places you actually had food from. No Bucket List locations or a complaint of "I left after waiting 40 minutes for food!"

2. You can only list eateries either in Disneyland, DCA, Downtown Disney or at an official Disneyland Hotel. AKA don't list the IHOP on Harbor Blvd or the chicken at Knotts.

3. Please keep it to current dining offerings in the Resort, to help with everyone's future trips!

I'll start.

DINE: Jolly Holiday Bakery. Excellent Cafe food, with good soups & sandwiches. The Mary Poppins decor adds an extra touch.

PASS: The Tomorrowland Terrace. The food seems very below the bar, even for traditional fast food. The fries are nothing to write home about.

Your picks?

DINE; Hungry Bear. I know, I know a lot of people are thinking "Is she serious?". Yes, I am. Since I have to be gluten free my burger and fries are prepped separately, at the time of order, and brought out as soon as it's done. It's always been fresh and tasty. And fries are an especial treat as it's rare to find places with a separate fryer.

PASS; Blue Bayou. It's ok, but overpriced for pretty 'run of the mill' fare. And especially since now you (apparently) can't wait for a waterside table. I'll caveat that everyone should probably eat there once, but without a waterside table there's really no point anymore.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

DINE: Cafe Orleans. One it’s always shaded and after walking around, having your food brought to you is so nice. Also the food has some of my all time park faves: Monte Cristo, garlic pomme frites with Roulade sauce, and chicken gumbo. Also, you get refills on drinks, even on the specialty mint julep. If you get a table on the edge of walkway, it is great for people watching.

PASS: Carthay Circle. It’s as expensive as ever but taking shortcuts due to labor shortages. They no longer have the signature biscuits (too labor extensive per the staff) and that is half the reason to go (for me). Drinks are still amazing, though you can get them at the lounge.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post
        DINE: Cafe Orleans. One it’s always shaded and after walking around, having your food brought to you is so nice. Also the food has some of my all time park faves: Monte Cristo, garlic pomme frites with Roulade sauce, and chicken gumbo. Also, you get refills on drinks, even on the specialty mint julep. If you get a table on the edge of walkway, it is great for people watching.

PASS: Carthay Circle. It’s as expensive as ever but taking shortcuts due to labor shortages. They no longer have the signature biscuits (too labor extensive per the staff) and that is half the reason to go (for me). Drinks are still amazing, though you can get them at the lounge.
        NO MORE BISCUITS?!? Ugh. I haven't been since way prior to the pandemic. Now I won't bother. The biscuits really were good. I have done, and have reservations for, the lounge "alfresco" stuff. I do think Carthay makes the best cocktails in the park by far.

Comment

DINE: Napa Rose Chef's Counter. It's ridiculous, and so expensive, but a fun treat. We go once or twice a year, and have always had good service. One time they over heard me talking about how much I love brussels sprouts, and the chef came over to say that one of their cooks made amazing brussels sprouts, and she had him make me some right then and there. I love that you don't order, just bring me all the yummy food. Lastly, I love getting the wine pairing! We are going next week for the first time post pandemic - I hope it hasn't suffered.

PASS: Lamplight Lounge. Mediocre cocktails, and I haven't had good luck with their food, either. The potato skins and donuts are good, but I'm not a fan of anything else on their menu. There is a short rib dish during the holidays this year that I want to try. Maybe that will be good!

Comment

DINE: Plaza Inn. If you love Fried Chicken then you'll love this place. Usually not a very long line either, it's a little on the pricier side but if you spend the couple extra bucks it's well worth it in my opinion. It's also a great spot to watch fireworks from a table if you're lucky enough to find a table 20-30 minutes before the show(With food of course, don't be one of those people).

PASS: Pym Test Kitchen. Food is some of the most expensive in the park, the taste is above average but ironically the portion sizes are the smallest in the park for the price you pay in most cases. (The one exception is the Quantum Pretzel, that is a 10/10) But if you're going there for a meal just don't, one of the longest food lines both standby and mobile order.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post

I second this re: Carthay Circle! Go for the drinks, pass on the food.

Comment

DINE: Lamplight Lounge. The menu is unique, service is always great. The view of the pier (with water) is lovely. Don't leave without doughnuts to take with you, and the recommended beer to pair them with. Drinks are strong, so you're getting your money's worth on the cocktail front.

PASS: Galactic Grill. Just walk the extra way to Galaxy's Edge ... Food options are a lot more interesting than what Tomorrowland has to offer, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
                (Also they are not selling the breakfast burrito. )

Comment

Another great thread ! Thanks 😊

Comment

Dine: Carnation Café, especially for breakfast but the food for lunch and dinner is also amazing. The other thing for me is just the hustle and bustle of main street is great for people watching and taking in the park.

Pass: Tomorrow land terrace, Food is below average and the seating area is not the best either. This is the worst dining area in the resort.
                    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Dine: Carnation Cafe: Great food all day. Ask to be seated outside for great ambiance and people watching. You MUST try the fried pickles!

Pass: Oga's Cantina: For a MEAL it's a hard pass for me. They don't really sell food. Just, overpriced, small, charcuterie-type plates covered in the weird dried appetizers from a bag, you pass on at Costco. The drinks are ok at best. --It's like they're trying too hard. It ends up being a bunch of grown-ups sitting around, wishing it was the Cantina from Tatooine, sipping on odd drinks while nibbling on nobody's first choice of finger snacks. All the while surrounded by a bunch of bored kids who just want to get back out into the park to search for Chewbacca or the one lone Stormtrooper they have still walking around. Go once, mid-day for a drink, and consider the box checked. but NOT for dining.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                        PASS: The Tomorrowland Terrace. The food seems very below the bar, even for traditional fast food. The fries are nothing to write home about.
                        Tomorrowland Terrace is basically emergency food, in my view. Like I have a couple of small children who are on the verge of a hangry meltdown and I need something to tide them over before we can get a better meal.

Comment

DINE: Cafe Orleans - Great food options and wonderful patio seating especially in the evening as the sun goes down.

PASS: River Belle Terrace - Literally charges more for the same food served elsewhere in the park. There is never enough seating and the selection is meh. We went there once on our first rip with our kids and quickly realized our mistake and have never been back.
                          Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Steakhouse 55!!!
                            Oh...............wait...............Never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

Pass: Tomorrow land terrace, Food is below average and the seating area is not the best either. This is the worst dining area in the resort.
                              AGREE

Tomorrow land terrace is just another fast food place......Eat and Run......(hopefully- not to closest restroom)
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                                AGREE

Tomorrow land terrace is just another fast food place......Eat and Run......(hopefully- not to closest restroom)
                                I really have a tough time understanding why the food here is so bad.
                                BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

I really have a tough time understanding why the food here is so bad.
                                  I think because Tomorrowland itself is in such a poor state, the food is also set up to fail. Galaxy's Edge does a better job capturing the art of "futuristic" meals because (credit where credit is due) the land is properly themed.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                                    DINE: Cafe Orleans - Great food options and wonderful patio seating especially in the evening as the sun goes down.

PASS: River Belle Terrace - Literally charges more for the same food served elsewhere in the park. There is never enough seating and the selection is meh. We went there once on our first rip with our kids and quickly realized our mistake and have never been back.
                                    Sad....It was a good Pancake breakfast place.........Now the place ,went down the river !
                                    IMO
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post

Tomorrowland Terrace is basically emergency food, in my view. Like I have a couple of small children who are on the verge of a hangry meltdown and I need something to tide them over before we can get a better meal.
                                      But following that logic... Have you ever tried DESPERATELY to deter friends and family from eating here on a visit. Giving them all the other options, emphasized placed with better food, better prices, better SEATING?!?! And yet you still end up here eating subpar burger and fries instead of higher quality stuff at hungry bear or flame jumpers?

It ain't just that it's emergency food. I don't know if it's just, it's placement in an "open" section of the park, or maybe all the windows that people who aren't familiar with the park must think are all open and thus will result in faster service... But something about this ONE place seems to just attract people who are hungry and desperate, even if they could literally walk 200 feet south to plaza inn, 100 feet east to pizza planet (at least the place always has seating, and food is premade), or hoof it an extra few minutes to rose tavern or jolly holiday or cafe zocalo, and get something INFINITELY better. I swear, there is some kind of curse on this restaurant that just makes non-locals go "yes, here is the place I will give up and settle for," because it's always here.

Comment

Originally posted by SkunkID View Post

But following that logic... Have you ever tried DESPERATELY to deter friends and family from eating here on a visit. Giving them all the other options, emphasized placed with better food, better prices, better SEATING?!?! And yet you still end up here eating subpar burger and fries instead of higher quality stuff at hungry bear or flame jumpers?

It ain't just that it's emergency food. I don't know if it's just, it's placement in an "open" section of the park, or maybe all the windows that people who aren't familiar with the park must think are all open and thus will result in faster service... But something about this ONE place seems to just attract people who are hungry and desperate, even if they could literally walk 200 feet south to plaza inn, 100 feet east to pizza planet (at least the place always has seating, and food is premade), or hoof it an extra few minutes to rose tavern or jolly holiday or cafe zocalo, and get something INFINITELY better. I swear, there is some kind of curse on this restaurant that just makes non-locals go "yes, here is the place I will give up and settle for," because it's always here.
                                        Because the food is cheap (in Disney Dollars).

FYI for everyone, the better value alternative is the Golden Horseshoe , instead of Tomorrowland Terrace.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X