Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney replacing steam trains?

https://www.facebook.com/10508663192...049828576/?d=n

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! The present engines have so much charm and history. I would dearly miss them. I understand they must cost a lot to run and overhaul.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
    Mark Twain

Comment

I hope not.........genuine steam engines are pretty rare these days.

If they get rid of them, you can bet the Mark Twain will be next.

Comment

Sawenhalve Scrap is a satire page, so for now, the Disneyland Railroad steam trains are safe.

Comment

The Facebook page is for a company call Sawenhalve Scrap, who posted:

"The Disney corporation recently reached out to us to ask us to scrap their steam engines at the Disneyland Railroad. They are wanting to switch to a eco friendly fleet of locomotives that are easier and cheaper to maintain, plus good for the environment.

"If the new engines work well, we expect to be contracted to scrap all the remaining steam locomotives the Disney owns at their other parks."

It's another example of the old saying that there are rumors, there are unlikely rumors, there are ridiculous rumors... and then there's Facebook.

Along with what you'll discover if you try to research the bona-fides of Sawenhalve Scrap, the thing that shrieks "what a load of bullcrap" at this rumor is not that Disney would be above replacing the DLRR locomotives with cheap imitations. It's that Disney would never sell them for scrap when they could make tens if not hundreds of millions by auctioning them off.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-08-2021, 09:22 PM.
          "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
          - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
          - Bob Chapek

Comment

The play-on-words name "Sawenhalve" seems very Ace Attorney to me.

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post
              I hope not.........genuine steam engines are pretty rare these days.

If they get rid of them, you can bet the Mark Twain will be next.
              Grant you
              I do not know much about,the working steam engines......
              But if this rumor is true....your right -Mark Twain will be next

This going be interesting.......
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                Disney would never sell them for scrap when they could make tens if not hundreds of millions by auctioning them off.
                .....Your right......
                Disney can more MONEY.....by auctioning them off.
                But I can see Disney doing that.......SADLY
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
                  Sawenhalve Scrap is a satire page, so for now, the Disneyland Railroad steam trains are safe.
                  Bingo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FC9oyCSUcAAmsUa?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	8649373

Click image for larger version

Name:	FC9pTOyWEAcppoL?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	8649374

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

I going be dumb....
                    WHAT A satire page?.........trying to understand
                    Like s joke !-? page.....
                    I not into Face Book
                    Last edited by Eagleman; 11-08-2021, 09:39 PM.
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

From an engineering standpoint... Diseal powered steam engines likes the kind seen at Disney "are" more environmentally friendly. At least compared to petrol vehicles like the ones seen in autopia.

Cutting WAY down on the tech jargon. When talking about environmental friendliness, it's important to also understand the kind of pollutants being producted. With your car, or the autopia carts, which run off of petrol, you're not just seeing CO2 being produced, but CO, NO; as well as unburnt fuel vapors, etc. All stuff that isn't just bad for the environment, but is VERY bad for you to be around long term; especially because you're not going to getting covered in soot or feel "out of breath" around these gases. More often than not, you're going to be experiencing headaches and long term illness. The only real ways to reduce this is to use exhaust recirculation or catalytic converters, which, are fine for full sized cars already worth thousands of dollars, but aren't likely going to be put in glorified go-carts.

Conversely, a steam engine using diseal fuel, while still pumping LOTS of CO2, is going to be comparatively more "environmentally friendly," simply because, the major pollution being produced is going to be CO2 and soot. And unlike in a diseal engine in a car or truck, where the fuel is used in what is essentially a controlled explosion (not really, but close enough), the diseal in the trains are being used to run a furnace. To literally boil water. It is essentially a glorified pressurized kerosene lamp in some respects. All of this adds up to mean that, "for what the trains are being used to do," they are actually pretty efficient. Yes, could switching them to electric make them more environmentally friendly? Probably. But it would mean converting the track to "3rd rail." Or creating a system of battery swaps, or charging stops. As well as disposing of infrastructure designed to refill water and bio diseal. Ending contracts to get the specific grade of fuel Disney has been using to reduce pollution from their trains in the first place.

Yes the Facebook page is a joke. But just, from a tech standpoint. There isn't a current reason to discontinue the steam trains. Autopia is INFINITY more likely to be changed before the trains are stopped. Unless a company or the state itself were to come in and say "we will give you duplicate trains that run off electricity and/or convert the trains to 3rd rail" Disney is likely going to keep doing the trains same as they are now. Maybe at some point they will add soot collecting exhaust scrubbers, and just have the trains leak steam to simulate the smoke, but that's probably about it.

Comment

C' mon Guys!

Sawenhalve...saw.en.halve? Geddit? Saw in half.
                        "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by SkunkID View Post
                          All of this adds up to mean that, "for what the trains are being used to do," they are actually pretty efficient.
                          In fact, steam locomotives are incredibly inefficient. In any number of ways--from heat and energy loss out the smokestack to the labor costs to maintain them and replacement part costs. Which is why you don't see steam locomotives pulling mainline trains today.

Of course, all that is beside the point.

As others have pointed out, the Facebook page is a joke. Their page is full of photoshopped images of them in the process of "scrapping" many famous steam locomotives from around the country. Considering the secrecy Disney is known for, do people really think a legit scrapping company would broadcast such news? If more people didn't take what they see on the internet with no skepticism whatsoever, this country would be in a much better place. There are at least four people who posted to this thread that gave the link some credence.

No one has to worry about the steam trains going away anytime soon.
                          Last edited by Right Down Broadway; 11-09-2021, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkunkID View Post
                            Maybe at some point they will add soot collecting exhaust scrubbers, and just have the trains leak steam to simulate the smoke, but that's probably about it.
                            Probably best not to speculate about subjects where you have little knowledge. The Disney engines generate very little soot, compared to many other oil burning steam engines, which generally burn used crankcase oil, among other oils (motor oil, vegetable oil, etc.). Which is why they don't need to "sand the flues." (As an aside, they burn "biodiesel," not "Diseal").

Any "soot scrubbers" (and I'm not aware of any that even exist for steam locomotives) would negatively affect the engines' draft, necessary for efficient combustion.
                            Last edited by Right Down Broadway; 11-09-2021, 07:48 AM.

Comment

If they ever tried to remove the DLRR the real pitchforks would come out. Like others have said this is satire. You could keep the DLRR and make the rest of the park just an actual park without attractions and people would still come from all around. Get rid of the train and the frame of the park is gone. The Castle and the DLRR are the the heart and the frame. you cannot remove either without serious consequences.
                              Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Right Down Broadway , Oh no. I am well aware that as it concerns heat waste, and labor, even these highly maintained steam engines are inefficient in that respects. But I am focusing on the very specific aspect of exhaust pollution. As a person who lives in California, exhaust is often, rightfully so, criticized for its environmental impact. However, in the case of a steam engine, where diesel fuel is being used explicitly to heat a furnace, and can be maintained at relative efficiency, this system is, in this specific aspect, very efficient. Other aspects where it's incredibly wasteful are honestly "part of the show?" The labor and time, the smokestack exhaust, space required, etc, are all part of the reason the trains are used in the first place.

Secondly as it concerns any form of exhaust scrubbing, or any means by which to collect solid pollutants, or in this case soot. I mean this explicitly as a blue sky idea. I'm aware that any technology that could do what I'm describing, is going to be incredibly overkill, if not currently available, for steam engines of this size. That's why I put it at the very end of the small rant, because this would be something implemented years, if not decades down the line. This is something that if it were to ever happen, it would be because Disney has kept the trains running and functioning for that long, and just for the sake of it existing, it would be implemented honestly just to quell the concerns of people who do not understand how well-maintained the trains are. The whole point is how unneeded something like that would be, yet how that would probably be one of the few things that could one day be implemented, which itself isn't really needed for what the trains are used for.
                                Last edited by SkunkID; 11-09-2021, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	FC9pTOyWEAcppoL?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg Views:	313 Size:	134.5 KB ID:	8649374
                                  I Guess,that means -No free "WEINERER"

Well ,I got FREE lesson on steam engines , and about Face Book !
                                  ,And what a satire page?.....LOL
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X