Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skimpflation

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Skimpflation

    Apparently there is a new term out there, "skimpflation," that describes the practice of companies offering less value to customers for the same or higher prices. The first example given when I heard this on the radio was the lack of Disneyland trams. Obviously there are a lot of other ways Disney is holding back value even after they have raised prices.

    Prices for tickets and passes may be marginally higher lately, but the price to value ratio at Disney parks has taken a huge turn for the worse.

  • #2
    Disney is the current leader in the Skimpflation movement. Others have done it but chapek took it to an entire new level. DLR is the trial balloon. Hopefully for everyone sake it pops soon.
    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Starcade View Post
      Disney is the current leader in the Skimpflation movement. Others have done it but chapek took it to an entire new level. DLR is the trial balloon. Hopefully for everyone sake it pops soon.
      Most people , I talk to ,on the the streets.......hear the name Disneyland /Disney
      I hear Greed.................
      For only street Disney care about is Wall Street.....not Main Street!
      IMO

      Soaring like an EAGLE !

      Comment


      • #4

        Like the pandemic, "skimpflation" is the perfect opportunity for Disney to double down on what it's already been doing for years -- charging customers more, giving them less, and paying its employees peanuts.


        Meet skimpflation

        NPR
        October 26, 2021

        All is not so happy at the happiest place on Earth. The guests of the Magic Kingdom are restless. Despite reopening more than six months ago, Disney World and Disneyland have yet to restart their tram services to and from parking lots, forcing visitors to walk nearly a mile to enter and exit the parks. Some Disney fans are acting as though the company is a kind of greedy Cruella de Vil, willing to slaughter cute puppies and turn them into coats for a profit.

        "Customer service is gone at Disney," says commenter James E. on Facebook. "It's all about maximizing profit now."

        "They haven't brought back the trams because it's saving Disney money!" writes Daniel P. "Trams need to be driven by multiple drivers."

        It's all about "GREED," says Harry Z. "It has nothing to do with COVID at this point."

        A couple of weeks ago, amid mounting online fury over Disney's transportation issues, the company announced it was finally reopening its famous monorail system. But, the company said, its trams to and from parking lots will remain idle for the foreseeable future.



        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

        - Walt Disney

        "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

        "It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
          Like the pandemic, "skimpflation" is the perfect opportunity for Disney to double down on what it's already been doing for years -- charging customers more, giving them less, and paying its employees peanuts.

          It's all about "GREED," says Harry Z. "It has nothing to do with COVID at this point."
          It is all about GREED-Pay more and get less offering!............and drag the name of Disney to the ground.
          Now Chapek is the leader of the pack ......of " maximizing profit now."
          And he been bread for the job !

          Soaring like an EAGLE !

          Comment


          • #6
            yet...people still come and spend money.
            "These are a few of my favorite things"

            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mark Twain View Post
              yet...people still come and spend money.
              YEP-.........Amazing...and for how long....?....
              Disney parks has taken a huge turn f, or the worse.
              IMO
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

              Comment


              • #8
                You people act like Walt didn’t have sponsors for a lot of rides when Disneyland opened. Or the fact that he charged you to get into Disneyland then made you pay individually for each ride. Or that he exploited ABC to promote his park under the guise of a television show. This is all nothing new. Ask a cast member from the 60’s what they think of the park in the 70’s. Ask a cast member from the 80’s what they think of the 90’s. Ask a DCA cast member from 2002 what they…this isn’t anything new. Things change, often for what is perceived to be the worst. Walt opened the park to make money, plain and simple. Magic or no. The truth.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Fat-shaming CFO Christine McCarthy on earnings call:

                  "There are lots of things that are worth talking about. We can adjust suppliers. We can substitute products. We can cut portion size which is probably good for some people's waistlines."

                  "We aren't going to go just straight across and increase prices. We're going to try to get the algorithm right to cut where we can and not necessarily do things the same way. We're producing technology to reduce some of the operating cost."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The term "Mickey Mouse'd" is making a comeback. This saddens me but I blame skimpflation.
                    My wife is the rebel spy.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                      Fat-shaming CFO Christine McCarthy on earnings call:

                      "There are lots of things that are worth talking about. We can adjust suppliers. We can substitute products. We can cut portion size which is probably good for some people's waistlines."

                      "We aren't going to go just straight across and increase prices. We're going to try to get the algorithm right to cut where we can and not necessarily do things the same way. We're producing technology to reduce some of the operating cost."
                      This ties in to what I've been saying about Chapek, and apparently it applies to the entire upper management team--they are contemptuous of their customer base.
                      Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by disneywarcrafts View Post
                        You people act like Walt didn’t have sponsors for a lot of rides when Disneyland opened. Or the fact that he charged you to get into Disneyland then made you pay individually for each ride. Or that he exploited ABC to promote his park under the guise of a television show. This is all nothing new. Ask a cast member from the 60’s what they think of the park in the 70’s. Ask a cast member from the 80’s what they think of the 90’s. Ask a DCA cast member from 2002 what they…this isn’t anything new. Things change, often for what is perceived to be the worst. Walt opened the park to make money, plain and simple. Magic or no. The truth.
                        I completely agree. I think my biggest issue is that it seems like the they're moving backwards regarding customer service- "pay per ride" was eliminated almost forty years ago and now it's making a comeback. Free fastpass is something we've gotten used to and now it's going away. It would be like if Netflix all of a sudden introduced advertisements and charged extra money for its most popular titles. There would be a lot of pushback even though Netflix was always for-profit.
                        Brian the Pooh

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I would like to note that pay-per-ride back then was in addition to a very small entry fee--a single dollar on Opening Day, if I remember correctly. According to this inflation calculator, that's the equivalent of $10.32 in today's money. I obviously can't speak for everyone, but I can potentially see myself paying that much to visit a theme park with no actual rides but a lot of beautiful gardens and other settings to explore, open-air live music performances, parades, cool and unique sights to see, and other things that have always been included with admission at Disneyland.

                          Nowadays, when they're charging roughly a day's wages just to get in the gate, it's reprehensible that they would expect people to pay yet more on top of that just to do the things they're presumably there for in the first place.
                          Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by disneywarcrafts View Post
                            You people act like Walt didn’t have sponsors for a lot of rides when Disneyland opened. Or the fact that he charged you to get into Disneyland then made you pay individually for each ride. Or that he exploited ABC to promote his park under the guise of a television show. This is all nothing new. Ask a cast member from the 60’s what they think of the park in the 70’s. Ask a cast member from the 80’s what they think of the 90’s. Ask a DCA cast member from 2002 what they…this isn’t anything new. Things change, often for what is perceived to be the worst. Walt opened the park to make money, plain and simple. Magic or no. The truth.
                            You're comparing chimichangas to churros.
                            Disneyland Fan since the 70's

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                              You're comparing chimichangas to churros.
                              Exactly. Which is S.O.P. for justifying the status quo.

                              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                              designed to appeal to everyone."

                              - Walt Disney

                              "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                              - Michael Eisner

                              "It's very symbiotic."
                              - Bob Chapek

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                                Exactly. Which is S.O.P. for justifying the status quo.
                                I don’t hide the fact that I’m a Disney apologist.

                                I don’t buy churros at the park though, I go to smart and final and buy Tio Pepe and make them at home. I have enough money to not have to worry about pricing of 10 dollar foodstuffs well…

                                Until the danged chimi changas at 12 bucks I’ll be on board. I’m not donating money to charity, I’m buying overpriced snacks at a place I love. I don’t go to McDonald’s and ask why the cookies are 3 for a dollar, I just buy the cookies.

                                I don’t hop on the McDonald’s fan forums and complain about the cookie prices though. Just a thought.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by disneywarcrafts View Post
                                  I don’t hide the fact that I’m a Disney apologist.
                                  That's cool. To each their own, right?


                                  Originally posted by disneywarcrafts View Post
                                  I don’t hop on the McDonald’s fan forums and complain about the cookie prices though.
                                  But you do feel the need to hop on a Disneyland fan forum and repeatedly complain about fans who, like yourself, love Disneyland, but unlike yourself have complaints about the way it is being managed.

                                  It would seem that "to each their own" doesn't extend to those who have a different viewpoint than yours.

                                  Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-11-2021, 04:39 PM.
                                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

                                  - Walt Disney

                                  "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

                                  "It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                                    That's cool. To each their own, right?




                                    But you do feel the need to hop on a Disneyland fan forum and repeatedly complain about fans who, like yourself, love Disneyland, but unlike yourself have complaints about about way it has been managed.

                                    It would seem that "to each their own" doesn't extend to those who have a different viewpoint than yours.
                                    I see what you are saying. I mean no harm to people complaining but it becomes a bit of a circle jerk where people just keep saying Chapek over and over.

                                    Nobody mentions Ken Potrock. Nobody slights Mary Niven. Mike Lolli is more to blame for most of this than anyone else in my opinion.

                                    it’s always been this way though. Every price increase. Every change. Every complaint is aimed at the CEO, it doesn’t make sense in my eyes. That’s all.

                                    For the record. Avengers campus is bad and I want Tower of Terror back but complaining on a fan forum about it won’t change anything. (also for the record..I dont think I typed to each thier own like you quoted me....)Edit#2 I won’t be replying to anymore posts here. You guys have your own thing going and I don’t care to ruffle feathers, or have conversations defending Disneyland. It was a mistake for me to think it was a place where fans came to be fans, not circle jerk hatred towards Disney. Good luck to you and your wait…Sixteen Thousand posts? Nice. Have a great day and may the force be with you.
                                    Last edited by disneywarcrafts; 11-11-2021, 05:07 PM.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Karalora View Post

                                      This ties in to what I've been saying about Chapek, and apparently it applies to the entire upper management team--they are contemptuous of their customer base.
                                      BINGO.......Chapek been like that ,ever since his ADVERTISMENT
                                      of the up-side down bottle of Heinz Tomato Ketchup
                                      and charging customer more !
                                      IMO he been up-side down for Long Long Time........
                                      Last edited by Eagleman; 11-11-2021, 06:35 PM.
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Waiting for the ketchup baron to fart out of the bottle is building Anticipation.
                                        Last edited by merlinjones; 11-11-2021, 10:30 PM.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X