Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney CFO Fat Shames Guests

Disney CFO Christine McCarthy was caught saying that another way to save money is to make food portion sizes smaller. That it can only help the guests waist sizes. Way to go with the cheap shot Christy! Link here- https://www.sfgate.com/disneyland/ar...t-16613190.php
    My wife is the rebel spy.

It's another example of how Chapek's consumer-unfriendliness has spread throughout Disney's executive suite.

For anyone who finds the article blocked by a paywall, here's an excerpt...

Disney fans angered by CFO's suggestion food cuts 'good for some people's waistlines'

San Francisco Chronicle
    November 11, 2021

Some Disney fans are doubly furious after the company’s chief financial officer suggested reducing theme park food portion sizes as a cost-cutting measure — and then made a comment about guests’ weights as a joking justification.

On Wednesday’s quarterly earnings call, Walt Disney Company CFO Christine McCarthy was asked how Disney is handling rising inflation.

“We have things on the cost of goods side,” McCarthy said. “And it's interesting. Just last week … I was talking to our parks senior team about things we could do there. And there are lots of things that are worth talking about. We can adjust suppliers. We can substitute products. We can cut portion size, which is probably good for some people's waistlines.”

The last part of the comment drew immediate scrutiny from Disneyland and Disney World fans, who had several reasons to bristle at McCarthy’s suggestions. In a year of penny-pinching at the parks, when everything from parking to line-skipping services have seen price increases (while traditional entertainment like fireworks and parades haven’t returned to pre-pandemic schedules), guests weren’t happy about hearing another thing may be reduced without a commensurate price decrease.

In addition, many viewed the “waistline” joke as a cheap shot, especially considering the vast majority of the Disney parks’ food options are hardly of the healthy variety.

“So we’re fat shaming now as justification for cutting costs?” one person wrote on Twitter.

“If they really cared about the overweight guests, they’d provide healthier options,” another fan wrote on the Disneyland subreddit. “What a bunch of BS.”...

CEO Bob Chapek’s reign has increasingly been marked by cost-cutting paired with price increases, a combination that has not gone unnoticed by fans. At least one study has pointed out that Disney is pricing its most loyal fans out of the parks, which the company seems unbothered by as it targets its bigger-spending visitors. Chapek in particular called out the huge revenue increase brought in by Genie Plus, Disney World’s new app that charges each guest a fee to use an expedited line at attractions....

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

I said this in the other thread where it was brought up, but it's worth saying here too: this seems to confirm my impression that Chapek--and apparently others on his upper management team--are actively contemptuous of the guests. That's the real reason for all the penny-pinching--not just saving money for its own sake (although that is certainly a motivation), but because they don't think we're worth investing in.
      Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

Another way to save money would be to reduce the portions of the outrageous executive salaries.
        Big Thunder Ranch > Galaxys Edge

Comment

I think there are not one, but actually two issues with McCarthy's comments:

1. McCarthy's unnecessary dig at people's waistlines, which goes against the company's recent push for "inclusivity".

2. That McCarthy actually admitted in public, that the company could cut costs on portion sizes. After years of it being the unspoken elephant in the room, a Disney Executive finally admitted to the cost saving practice.

I'm actually surprised these comments came from her, and not the frequent contributor of bad PR statements, Chapek.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
            I think there are not one, but actually two issues with McCarthy's comments:

1. McCarthy's unnecessary dig at people's waistlines, which goes against the company's recent push for "inclusivity".

2. That McCarthy actually admitted in public, that the company could cut costs on portion sizes. After years of it being the unspoken elephant in the room, a Disney Executive finally admitted to the cost saving practice.

I'm actually surprised these comments came from her, and not the frequent contributor of bad PR statements, Chapek.
            To the corporate mind, the fact that Christine McCarthy holds the traditionally male position of CFO is testament to Disney's inclusivity.

To the corporate mind, a public boast of cost-cutting is no PR gaffe, it's music to Wall Street's ears.

And it's no surprise that McCarthy is emulating her boss. It's the fastest way to climb the corporate hierarchy.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by BigThunda View Post
              Another way to save money would be to reduce the portions of the outrageous executive salaries.
              "Vote NO with your Wallet"-Folks
              IMO
              Eagleman
              Lord of the Sky
              Last edited by Eagleman; 11-11-2021, 05:32 PM.
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Walt Disney Company -Needs New Leader from the Board of Dictators and down.......
                Today Disney nor longer about MAGIC.......imo
                Disney have hand full Executives that think , they are better than___________
                Time to show them joking justification, of the EXIT door !
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

When was this person when they were deciding to remove the original boats from iasw? If I recall their reason for doing so had something to do with larger guests being too big for the boats or causing them to stall or a combination of the two. All Disney needed was to have her tell all the guests to eat less and that problem would have been solved!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

"Vote NO with your Wallet"-Folks
                    IMO
                    With the news the stock lost nearly 7% of its value and was at its lowest since June 2020, it does offer a glimpse of hope things might turn around.

I read a market analyst that saw the falsely of what Chapek boasting of more content coming soon and the analyst basically calling that out as ‘who is this mystical missing D+ customer who is holding out for more of the same content; it’s like hoping a child that won’t buy one scoop of ice cream might buy it if offered two scoops.”

I think the next two big hits that could make things harder for Chapek, McCarthy and co. are:

- D23 announcements in Orlando Nov. 19-21: I highly doubt any new major new E-tickets or park expansions will be announced; it will likely be teases of a ‘someday’ Avengers E-ticket, Genie demos, and WDW existing 50th attraction previews (Tron and Guardians). I think without a serious ‘wow’ upcoming Parks attraction pipeline beyond 2023, that may help further drive down Magic Key renewals and 2022-2023 vacations revenue.

Outside of fandom, I also think once more of the suburban mom market hears about all the ongoing pains and lack/drastically reduced value a Disney vacation currently offers (trickle down effect), they will vote with their wallets for more family friendly non-Disney customer-valued alternative vacations.

- Further streaming lack of renewals: Disney could likely aggressively discount this to temporarily boost up numbers, but as Netflix, Amazon, and even Apple start to aggressively pump in new quality content, it is further unlikely Disney is going to keep up its renewal rates up, which will further add Wall Street pressure on the stock price.

If Disney does also try to play the deep discount streaming game and have to move its break-even target beyond 2024, this will further erode Wall Street confidence and drop the stock price further.

To me, this current Disney cycle continues to feel like the last stages in the Eisner era and we are just about around what it was like in late 2003/early 2004 stage.

My only hope now is we get a more creative, and less retail-centric CEO post-Chapek in the coming years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaygatzby View Post

With the news the stock lost nearly 7% of its value and was at its lowest since June 2020, it does offer a glimpse of hope things might turn around.

CEO post-Chapek in the coming years.

I read that too......
                      MMMmmm- I HOPE for a post-Chapek
                      and Better CEO -SOONER
                      Eagleman
                      Lord of the Sky
                      Last edited by Eagleman; 11-11-2021, 08:12 PM.
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

To the corporate mind, the fact that Christine McCarthy holds the traditionally male position of CFO is testament to Disney's inclusivity.

To the corporate mind, a public boast of cost-cutting is no PR gaffe, it's music to Wall Street's ears.

And it's no surprise that McCarthy is emulating her boss. It's the fastest way to climb the corporate hierarchy.
                        I find it being a BIG SLAP........to all Disney Consumer.......
                        The Time Have Come for a Overhaul of this Company
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

They would probably cut portions and raise the price.

Comment

The company forces its employees to watch countless repetitive "compliance" videos about harassment etc. Over and over these tell the cast to not even comment on anyone's appearance - even to compliment their clothing! But somehow Christine is above all this and not only makes a universal fat shaming condemnation but does it it in public and aimed at the customers. Is she not made to watch those videos too? Is she above the rest of the cast who would be fired for making a similar comment?

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                              The company forces its employees to watch countless repetitive "compliance" videos about harassment etc. Over and over these tell the cast to not even comment on anyone's appearance - even to compliment their clothing! But somehow Christine is above all this and not only makes a universal fat shaming condemnation but does it it in public and aimed at the customers. Is she not made to watch those videos too? Is she above the rest of the cast who would be fired for making a similar comment?
                              One can't overestimate the degree of elitism that saturates the culture of corporate management. Distance from the customers and frontline employees is worn like a badge of membership in the executive club.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-12-2021, 12:05 AM.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                              - Bob Chapek

Comment

One can't overestimate the degree of elitism that saturates the culture of corporate management. Distance from the customers and frontline employees is worn like a badge of membership in the executive club.
                                This! Post of the day, Mr Wiggins.

Comment

o

Ain't that the truth! And Disney's isn't the only well that's been tainted with that particular poison. "If they have no bread, let them eat cake" permeates just about every upper (and some not so upper) echelons of just about every corporation, large and small, in the US. Contrary to 'common wisdom' greed is NOT good!!!

As far as reducing portion size, I can't say I particularly disagree with that as long as it came with a price reduction commensurate with the reduction in portion size, which it won't. But that's for environmental and world hunger reasons, not my waistline! Some Disney eateries give ridiculously large size portions, with WDW being worse than DL. I've seen people throw away a lot of their meals. Sharing is a good option when you can, but being GF I can't really share a meal with someone else unless the other party consents to sharing my GF so there are times I've had to regrettably throw food out and my DH has also thrown out food because I can't eat it.

If nothing else, let them offer 'regular' and 'for smaller appetites' sizes like some other restaurants do. Not 'kiddie meals' ordered for adults, I don't want a yogurt and fruit cup with my burger or sammie, thank you very much! Just a half sammie with a small handful of fries.
                                  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by BigThunda View Post
                                    Absolutely!
                                    sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                                      When was this person when they were deciding to remove the original boats from iasw? If I recall their reason for doing so had something to do with larger guests being too big for the boats or causing them to stall or a combination of the two. All Disney needed was to have her tell all the guests to eat less and that problem would have been solved!
                                      Fun Fact: McCarthy was actually serving as the Treasurer at Disney, during the time of the controversial IASW refurb.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

Fun Fact: McCarthy was actually serving as the Treasurer at Disney, during the time of the controversial IASW refurb.
                                        Funner fact: IASW has recently flooded.

Talk about character development!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X