Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
    I believe just as you can get a pre-funded card at the park there is a way to then at the end of the day cash it out. Pretty much 99% of guests will be paying via debit credit or using their debit card to get prior to visiting so as much as I do not like the idea of being forced to use a card. I however do not see it as a real issue for the vast majority of guests unlike policies at other parks which negatively affect huge percentage for the benefit of the few.

Going cashless is often done for multiple reasons:
    - Speed of transaction
    - Prevention of theft by staff
    - Kick backs by credit card companies
    - Reduction of accounting staff

Those are just the reasons off the top of my head.

I rarely use cash at all anymore to be honest.

I do think though this thread should be moved the Knott's section.
    Me too that it should be moved to KNotts. I flagged it, but I don't think Matt really checks these boards anymore. I really wish Dusty would pick a couple more mods ( I have volunteered) and we could also steer every conversation from becoming about Chapek also.
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
      Remember "Disney Dollars" with Uncle Scrooge on them? An early post-WDP attempt (1980s-90s?) to get you trade real money for a cash substitute you might not spend.
      Ohhh, yeah. Got a mint-quality collection of them... alongside a stack of never-opened Main Street Electrical Parade light bulbs that were never going to be available again because the parade was Glowing Away Forever.
      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Ohhh, yeah. Got a mint-quality collection of them... alongside a stack of never-opened Main Street Electrical Parade light bulbs that were never going to be available again because the parade was Glowing Away Forever.
        I got one those light bulbs
        The only good news
        Money spent on it - did support local children’s charities.
        So there a little Glow in a - way .............................................
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I went to Knott's yesterday and saw a couple of kiosks where you can convert cash to a pre-paid cards already up and running. They were all situated inside various stores. I asked a couple of Associates what the reason for this was and they said it was to speed up transactions to lesson wait times for guests. They also mentioned Six Flags and Universal are already doing this. I suspect Disney will follow suit as not only does it allow for expedition of transactions but allows the parks to track guest spending down to the person. Between your debit card and these pre-paid cards a savvy system would also track the spend behavior of each individual. ( Assuming this pre-paid cards require a name & DOB attached to them.)
          Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

What is this "cash" you speak of?

Comment

I rarely carry cash, so this changed doesn't bother me.
              Big Thunder Ranch > Galaxys Edge

Comment

I went to Knott's yesterday and saw a couple of kiosks where you can convert cash to a pre-paid cards already up and running. They were all situated inside various stores. I asked a couple of Associates what the reason for this was and they said it was to speed up transactions to lesson wait times for guests. They also mentioned Six Flags and Universal are already doing this. I suspect Disney will follow suit as not only does it allow for expedition of transactions but allows the parks to track guest spending down to the person. Between your debit card and these pre-paid cards a savvy system would also track the spend behavior of each individual. ( Assuming this pre-paid cards require a name & DOB attached to them.)
                I think your right.....I can see the speed up transactions
                But
                don't like the concept still !imo
                Specially (savvy system would also track the spend behavior of each individual)
                pre-paid cards does require a name & DOB attached to them.......
                Like check out the kiosks where you can convert cash to a pre-paid cards and see how they work.
                Sure Disney will follow as well !

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by BigThunda View Post

I rarely carry cash, so this changed doesn't bother me.
                  Big items or dinner,ect.........I use my credit card
                  then pay it off ASAP
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Do people still use cash? I mean, I don't remember the last time I used cash, where if I was ever given any, it goes into my account and I use my card or phone. If anything, going cashless is a safer option as it allows for companies to not have to worry about being short or short changing anyone and cashiers can focus on getting people through without having to deal with handing back money. The only issue I see is that this may remove cashiers all together and remove a small percentage of jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by jish5555 View Post
                      Do people still use cash? I mean, I don't remember the last time I used cash, where if I was ever given any, it goes into my account and I use my card or phone. If anything, going cashless is a safer option as it allows for companies to not have to worry about being short or short changing anyone and cashiers can focus on getting people through without having to deal with handing back money. The only issue I see is that this may remove cashiers all together and remove a small percentage of jobs.
                      Yes, I want to especially say people from Fresno still use cash but it does vary by market XD

I suppose the sad truth is Disney is pricing out the kind of people that still use cash anyways. They're low to moderate income usually live rurally and either lack technical ability or access to banking services. I also know these people DO visit Disneyland or at least they did as of a year or so ago.

The bank cards are really going to make the companies happy because it'll make it easier to spend larger amounts and also it will make people feel pressured to empty the balance on the card out over their trip so it's not just the ease of liquidity it's about buttering people up for greater sales.
                      "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider View Post

The bank cards are really going to make the companies happy because it'll make it easier to spend larger amounts and also it will make people feel pressured to empty the balance on the card out over their trip so it's not just the ease of liquidity it's about buttering people up for greater sales.
                        Your Right....
                        I think Starcade came up lots good reason

Going cashless is often done for multiple reasons:
                        - Speed of transaction
                        - Prevention of theft by staff
                        - Kick backs by credit card companies
                        - Reduction of accounting staff
                        More I think about it.....I use my cards more than cash.....
                        IMO
                        I just think it dumb to use ,for a cup of soda......But that me.
                        Also it depends were I buying at ?....I do not trust every store I go to, with there Machine s
                        But forsure will not get a pre-paid cards IMO

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

We also need to remember these prepaid cards are only for those not wanting to use their existing debit or credit cards. I see this mainly being used for kids that are in the park but not with their parents. Example we took our girls and 5 of their friends last Sunday for a half day and gave everyone $20 for lunch as we were bring everyone back to our house for dinner afterward. If we had done that this next weekend we would have to get them all these prepaid cards. My wife and I still used our debit cards all day as we and I suspect most people will do going forward.
                          Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

We also need to remember these prepaid cards are only for those not wanting to use their existing debit or credit cards. I see this mainly being used for kids that are in the park but not with their parents. Example we took our girls and 5 of their friends last Sunday for a half day and gave everyone $20 for lunch as we were bring everyone back to our house for dinner afterward. If we had done that this next weekend we would have to get them all these prepaid cards. My wife and I still used our debit cards all day as we and I suspect most people will do going forward.
                            I been thinking about prepaid cards....
                            It can be good if one goes to Theme Parks a lot....specially with AP's !

I was wondering can - same card - be re-loaded....from the machine ?
                            also is other Theme Parks such as Six Flags and Universal,
                            useing the same company prepaid cards?
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Contactless payments almost certainly negate any time differential that may still persist between cash/card (card payments have gotten faster over time), and yes, that statement is predicted on empirical data and research. A majority of Americans use cards to begin with anyway.

I do not use cash for 99% of my daily life, so I am entirely unbothered by this.
                              Restore Walt's Disneyland: bring back the Aluminum Hall of Fame!

Comment

Originally posted by JLee1226 View Post
                                Contactless payments almost certainly negate any time differential that may still persist between cash/card (card payments have gotten faster over time), and yes, that statement is predicted on empirical data and research. A majority of Americans use cards to begin with anyway.

I do not use cash for 99% of my daily life, so I am entirely unbothered by this.
                                Same here. Any cash I get usually ends going to my nearest ATM to deposit into my acct.

The world is a treasure trove of places.
                                The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
                                Indy Ride Count: 2211
                                World of Color Count: 74

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X