Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Filled during early hours" Would Disney really be so cheap an incompetent to not continuously staff such a rare and critical event as a ride flume refill, simply because it took place outside regular daytime ride and maintenence staffing hours?
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

Basically someone forgot to turn off the faucet on the bathtub.
      and Damage happen.......
      I know ....I done that.....twice........

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by greenalfonzo View Post
        "Filled during early hours" Would Disney really be so cheap an incompetent to not continuously staff such a rare and critical event as a ride flume refill, simply because it took place outside regular daytime ride and maintenence staffing hours?
        This is exactly the kind of cheapness people inside and outside of DLR staffing have been reporting since the start of the quarantine. This is the kind of cheapness that chooses to let go of workers, not even just keeping unpaid but still employed with benefits; all the while having to be called out by the public when it comes to executive pay. This is the kind of cheapness that saw Disney choosing to increase park capacity "when the state said they could do it," instead of them waiting for them to have enough staff again. And now it appears to be the kind of cheapness that has damaged literally one of the most world famous attractions in DL history.

Comment

Originally posted by SkunkID View Post

This is exactly the kind of cheapness people inside and outside of DLR staffing have been reporting since the start of the quarantine. This is the kind of cheapness that chooses to let go of workers, not even just keeping unpaid but still employed with benefits; all the while having to be called out by the public when it comes to executive pay. This is the kind of cheapness that saw Disney choosing to increase park capacity "when the state said they could do it," instead of them waiting for them to have enough staff again. And now it appears to be the kind of cheapness that has damaged literally one of the most world famous attractions in DL history.
          I for one glad no one was hurt, last time they had leadership this miss guided somebody died. Makes me concerned for just how safe the parks are these days.
          Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Brian PieGuy View Post

Oof, I hope not. Between the New York World's Fair and nearly 60 years at Disneyland, these props have such value by via of their age. Destroying it's a small world is the Disneyland equivalent of burning the Library of Alexandria.
            They can reproduce most, if not all, of those props. I’m not saying artwork is replaceable as far as intrinsic value goes (technically it is replaceable) but nothing in that attraction contains stories or knowledge that would be lost forever if destroyed.

All the more reason this attraction should be preserved and sealed in amber and moved to a museum for those that want to protect it from Joe the Maintenance Guy.

Comment

Originally posted by wdimike55 View Post

They can reproduce most, if not all, of those props. I’m not saying artwork is replaceable as far as intrinsic value goes (technically it is replaceable) but nothing in that attraction contains stories or knowledge that would be lost forever if destroyed.

All the more reason this attraction should be preserved and sealed in amber and moved to a museum for those that want to protect it from Joe the Maintenance Guy.
              That's true, and we might never know if props were replaced. If the original props are gone, the ride would lose some "swag points" for me, but 99% of people that go through that building probably wouldn't care.
              Brian the Pooh

Comment

That's true, and we might never know if props were replaced. If the original props are gone, the ride would lose some "swag points" for me, but 99% of people that go through that building probably wouldn't care.
                I like to know......original props are gone.....
                and Sure Disney , not going to tell me......
                But there is a lots of History to It's the small Word !
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

I like to know......original props are gone.....
                  and Sure Disney , not going to tell me......
                  But there is a lots of History to It's the small Word !
                  This is my concern as well. Hopefully there's some eagle-eyed Disney historian who would be able to spot the difference.
                  Brian the Pooh

Comment

This is my concern as well. Hopefully there's some eagle-eyed Disney historian who would be able to spot the difference.
                    Not my Eagle eyes....I to old with glasses.....lol
                    But again -there is lot's of HISTORY there, long with Mary Blair-Art works !
                    I would hate -----to see them damage !
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

That’s terrible! Hope the ride is damaged too badly.

Comment

I watched a few Small World videos trying to figure it all out. The Disneyland Small World is a flume on a concrete foundation and most of the props are elevated to the height of the flume. An overflowing flume would fall to the foundation then move to the lowest part of the building, which you would hope would have drainage, since water must splash out occasionally. So, my guess is the damage is to electrical equipment like pumps, switches and power components. Let's hope so, anyway.
                        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

The Refurbishment Calendar officially list the ride down though Sunday(11/28). After that date, the ride isn't listed for refurbishment. However, Disney has moved dates back in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Druggas View Post
                            You would think that with the park being closed for such a long time, all rides and attractions would be in pristine condition.
                            Remember that this is the state of California, where the state dictated during COVID that a theme park, even closed, is more dangerous to WORK IN than a bioweapons facility (only slight exaggeration here - the onerous requirements for theme parks that were far above nearly all industries were well documented on Micechat). Disney is lucky that they were even allowed to have security on site to prevent the park from being looted. Everything requires constant maintenance and they were simply not allowed to do so - running the rides is maintenance in itself - it would have required thousands of people a day and that was not allowed by the state. Remember that even your local grocery store was not allowed to open every cash register - the state managed to cook up thousands of pages of very detailed new OSHA anti-viral requirements that told you, the business, exactly how you must run every aspect of your business from how far apart your workers must be to what temperature to set your thermostat at. Disney should sue the state for all of the damage caused by the lack of maintenance that they were not allowed to perform because of the uncalled for discrimination against the amusement park industry. For once, this is not Disney being cheap - I guarantee the massive expense of the repairs to damaged attractions like World of Color where the million dollar projectors were all lost as the wooden platforms rotted is far more expensive than the staffing would have been. And by the time they were even allowed to come back by Cal OSHA - everyone who worked in these positions had lost their OSHA certifications to expiration - which pushed maintenance back even further as people who are likely experts were still forced to be retrained while the ride equipment sat deteriorating even longer.
                            Last edited by ClownLoach; 11-24-2021, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownLoach View Post

Remember that this is the state of California, where the state dictated during COVID that a theme park, even closed, is more dangerous to WORK IN than a bioweapons facility (only slight exaggeration here - the onerous requirements for theme parks that were far above nearly all industries were well documented on Micechat). Disney is lucky that they were even allowed to have security on site to prevent the park from being looted. Everything requires constant maintenance and they were simply not allowed to do so - running the rides is maintenance in itself - it would have required thousands of people a day and that was not allowed by the state. Remember that even your local grocery store was not allowed to open every cash register - the state managed to cook up thousands of pages of very detailed new OSHA anti-viral requirements that told you, the business, exactly how you must run every aspect of your business from how far apart your workers must be to what temperature to set your thermostat at. Disney should sue the state for all of the damage caused by the lack of maintenance that they were not allowed to perform because of the uncalled for discrimination against the amusement park industry. For once, this is not Disney being cheap - I guarantee the massive expense of the repairs to damaged attractions like World of Color where the million dollar projectors were all lost as the wooden platforms rotted is far more expensive than the staffing would have been. And by the time they were even allowed to come back by Cal OSHA - everyone who worked in these positions had lost their OSHA certifications to expiration - which pushed maintenance back even further as people who are likely experts were still forced to be retrained while the ride equipment sat deteriorating even longer.
                              Interesting take on why Disneyland couldn't perform proper maintenance on their rides during the shutdown.

Interesting, too, that Universal and Knotts and Six Flags were similarly shut down -- and yet none of them have had the maintenance issues that DLR has.

Wonder why that is?

Maybe because they haven't had years of Bob "Cheapta$tic" Chapek heading their parks and filling their executive ranks with his penny pinching think-alikes?
                              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                              - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Interesting take on why Disneyland couldn't perform proper maintenance on their rides during the shutdown.

Interesting, too, that Universal and Knotts and Six Flags were similarly shut down -- and yet none of them have had the maintenance issues that DLR has.

Wonder why that is?

Maybe because they haven't had years of Bob "Cheapta$tic" Chapek heading their parks and filling their executive ranks with his penny pinching think-alikes?
                                You are right.

While this isn't too specific to what's occurred on It's a Small World (which sounds more like a staffing issue, still in the vein of 'cheap'), Disney could have done more for their rides during the closure. It sounds like they only addressed bare minimum concerns... which were fixing lighting, and making sure most animatronics were in working condition upon return. They did not cycle their rides enough, and while I'm rather picky about comparing anything to the Pressler-era... some stories are feeling a bit reminiscent, and they are making me a bit worried.

Staffing is very important in that comparison as well. The senior staff knew what to look out for. It's in their muscle memory. When you have a high turnover, you leave room for even more mistakes.

I revisited a couple of Al Lutz articles on previous incidents. Some of those mistakes were easy to catch if you knew what to look out for.

Comment

This is probably going to REALLY skirt to lines of the forum rules, but the "dog whistle" needs to be pointed out. I thoroughly reject the notion that "the state barely let Disney have enough staff to prevent looting, much less allow proper maintenance." Dieney, just like universal, knotts, SeaWorld, and Legoland, are not as risk of "looters and rioters." These are locations which are largely walled and gated off, and have merchandise, props, and other objects likely to be stolen to later be pawned off, are managed in such a way that it is FAR MORE LIKELY that any form of theft will occur from employees or ticketed guests themselves.

The argument that Disney HAD to understaff maintenance to supplement security to prevent looting is at best, disengenuise to the actual reasons looting and rioting occurs. At worst, is an active dog whistle meant to build upon an already existing growing narrative that government oversight during a pandemic that had killed literal millions is unacceptable because it has negatively affected large corperations, and that a separate by relate issue regarding the role corperations have in systemic issues in our society resulting in growing instances of looting and rioting stores of said multi-billion dollar corperations, is related.

Perhaps this dog whistle was not intended. Regardless. It is disengenuise and will be called out as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

You are right.

While this isn't too specific to what's occurred on It's a Small World (which sounds more like a staffing issue, still in the vein of 'cheap'), Disney could have done more for their rides during the closure. It sounds like they only addressed bare minimum concerns...
                                    I always felt the park , open way to fast=and agree with your statement .
                                    Last edited by Eagleman; 11-24-2021, 06:00 PM.
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
                                      I watched a few Small World videos trying to figure it all out. The Disneyland Small World is a flume on a concrete foundation and most of the props are elevated to the height of the flume. An overflowing flume would fall to the foundation then move to the lowest part of the building, which you would hope would have drainage, since water must splash out occasionally. So, my guess is the damage is to electrical equipment like pumps, switches and power components. Let's hope so, anyway.
                                      That's what I've heard as well, is all the damage was done to the pump and control equipment since it was located in a pit below the flume level. In some recent Small World videos, there's a large device that's been set up in the loading dock area of the queue which leads me to believe that at least an area of focus of the work is right at the load area. There's definitely a concentration of water pumps and electrical equipment in that area to divert water flow to the two loading docks and for the ramps that move the boats, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it is located underground beneath the flume level. That device they have set up might be an industrial pump to clear out the accumulated water or an air dryer to try and dry out that space.
                                      "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
                                      "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Comment

The original props are definitely long gone. If you believe that the dolls you see today and the props you see today are the same ones from the 60s, I commend you, but it's not true. All the dolls were replaced over time in the 2000s, along with new boats. When they did the 2008 refurb, I heard they even replaced the flume and the ride system. I'd gander the archives have some of the original costumes and dolls though.

Comment

Originally posted by savarese04 View Post

The original props are definitely long gone. If you believe that the dolls you see today and the props you see today are the same ones from the 60s, I commend you, but it's not true. All the dolls were replaced over time in the 2000s, along with new boats. When they did the 2008 refurb, I heard they even replaced the flume and the ride system. I'd gander the archives have some of the original costumes and dolls though.
                                          Most likely your right..........But there still lots of History still ........of this attraction
                                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X