Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Weird Nostalgia

I’ve noticed an uptick of people who are nostalgic for DCA 1.0. You heard me correctly. Here’s the kicker — I’m one of them.

I actually attended DCA within its first year of opening. I was very young, but I can distinctly remember the large spaces of concrete, the dinosaur with the sunglasses, how absurdly weird and un-Disney the space was. However, as I’ve grown older, part of me misses the Beach Boys loop, the smell of burnt coffee, the postcard-sequence entrance… even the view of the Orange Stinger. How weird of me.

It leads me to this topic… do any of you have weird nostalgic memories of the parks? I’m not talking the run-of-the-mill usual stuff, but like… Disney dollar / “I’m ashamed I miss this” nostalgia? It can even include food of the past (genuinely curious)!

P.S. I’ll also admit that I miss the Mickey and Friends shirts that were designed with specific attractions in mind. 😭 they’re pretty tacky but ugh! Miss em.

There used to be a similar thread about this same topic a few years ago, but I think it got yeeted to the litterbox after [REDACTED]. But I'm interested if the slightly different make up of the forum these days has different takes. I'll submit the same one I gave back then though.

I have an extremely strange nostalgia towards the original paradise pier background music, which was an orchestron arrangement of pop songs roughly related to California, much like the background music for the original sunshine plaza. But the PP music seems to have had actual effort put into it.

Comment

Originally posted by SkunkID View Post

I have an extremely strange nostalgia towards the original paradise pier background music, which was an orchestron arrangement of pop songs roughly related to California, much like the background music for the original sunshine plaza. But the PP music seems to have had actual effort put into it.
      The nostalgic whiplash of this is amazing. Brings back so many more memories. Thank you for sharing!

Comment

I do miss 1.0. Current park is themed all over the place now. Still don't know what Pixar and Marvel have to do with California.

"And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Originally posted by TacAlert View Post
          I do miss 1.0. Current park is themed all over the place now. Still don't know what Pixar and Marvel have to do with California.
          I call DCA 1.0 weird nostalgia because I can acknowledge that DCA 2.0 was superior and super close to perfection before Pixar Pier came into the picture, and the GOTG:MB re-skin. At this point, DCA should probably be renamed “Hollywood Studios” considering it’s shifted to mostly IP-inspired attractions.

However, I won’t dunk on those that love DCA 1.0 — whatever makes someone happy. Needed more shade, though!
          Last edited by Captain Andy; 11-13-2021, 10:36 PM.

Comment

I’ll admit, there are some unique at-that-point-in-time experiences I do miss.

While I would never trade things like Buena Vista Street, Cars Land, shade, and World of Color for DCA 1.0, there are some weird things I do miss.

I miss watching the Power of Blast playing at the Hyperion Theatre; that was a fun, energetic show. It was also fun visiting and playing Who Wants to be a Millionaire (which was one of the fastest show buildings I think I ever saw Disney Parks put up; bonus points I recall it really feeling like walking onto a Hollywood soundstage).

Back in the spring and early summer ‘02, their was also something weirdly enjoyable kicking back a Long Island ice tea at the Cove Bar those evenings when the park was pretty empty and looking out at Paradise Bay.

Plus, no shame in my earned age, it was pretty fun watching some bands like I believe Herman’s Hermits play during the Rock’in the Bay concert series.

My only minor DCA 1.0 regret I passed on was a chance to try the Mondavi restaurant while the winery operated it. I do remember some friends that went at the time say the food was quite good.

Also, for all the Disney parks I’ve gone to, DCA 1.0 was still, for me, to infinity and beyond more enjoyable than visiting Walt Disney Studios at Disneyland Paris the first year that park was open. My gosh, that was the first and so far only Disney park on my first visit I spent less than three hours in on a first visits, and most of those three hours was just to watch the Motoers car stunt show.

Lastly, I still remember that ‘whoa’ moment the first time at the end of rising Soar’in over California at the end during the Disneyland fireworks finale; at the time, that truly felt like a Disney-only-could-do-it moment.

Fun thread choice Andy.

Comment

You know, I was at a Beach Boys concert a month ago and I was hit with a burst of nostalgia for DCA, as Mike Love performed almost every song that used to play in Sunshine Plaza, including the non-Beach Boys ones. It brought back memories of sitting on a curb waiting for the Electrical Parade to start 🙂.

I went to California Adventure shortly after opening, when I was not fully grown yet, and I remember being really discouraged that I was just barely not tall enough to go on California Screamin', which looked like the coolest ride there. When my family went to California Adventure again the following week, I insisted on wearing the dress shoes I wore to church, hoping it would give me some added height. It worked! That was my first ride on California Screamin'.
              Brian the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Jaygatzby View Post
                I’ll admit, there are some unique at-that-point-in-time experiences I do miss.

While I would never trade things like Buena Vista Street, Cars Land, shade, and World of Color for DCA 1.0, there are some weird things I do miss.

I miss watching the Power of Blast playing at the Hyperion Theatre;

Lastly, I still remember that ‘whoa’ moment the first time at the end of rising Soar’in over California at the end during the Disneyland fireworks finale; at the time, that truly felt like a Disney-only-could-do-it moment.
                WOE.......I miss Power of Blast playing at the Hyperion Theatre;

But they did Last !.............(only couple months ?)
                "THEY WAS GREAT"

Soar’in over California - Really make feel like a "EAGLE"
                and have say I AGREE...end during the Disneyland fireworks finale; at the time, that truly felt like a Disney-only-could-do-it moment.
                IMO it best part of Movie/Attration......Just which the fireworks finale could last longer *!*!*!*!
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

For the Sunshine Plaza fans out there, the one element that wasn't morphed into Buena Vista Street is... the palm tree tiles in the restroom by the entrance. Like dinosaur DNA preserved in sap, the DNA of Sunshine Plaza lives on in restroom art.
                  Brian the Pooh

Comment

One thing my family misses is the Tortilla Factory tour. The free tortilla at the end was a much better snack than the piece of bread at the Boudin tour. One year we were there for my oldest son’s birthday and he had the birthday button on and they gave him a pack of 5 tortillas as a birthday present. His siblings were mad that he wouldn’t share his present with them.

Comment

Videopolis - but I really wouldn't want it back. It's more that it added some energy at night and kept all the teenagers corralled. Made for some shorter lines. I always think of it as I walk by that area.

Mission to Mars (I didn't know it as the moon adventure) - I really liked the experience! I have a big imagination, so I really let myself get into it. What a great family friendly "adventure"! And it was much better than the cheap food joint that is using up all that real estate now. Only thing it's good for is AC, and we had that in Mission to Mars plus entertainment!

I REALLY miss the Tron ride through in the people mover. Like how I miss the Battlestar Galactica scene at the Universal Studios tour ride. So fun. Little did they know that both those franchises would be appreciated again if they just waited 5 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by nostalgic View Post
                        Videopolis - but I really wouldn't want it back. It's more that it added some energy at night and kept all the teenagers corralled. Made for some shorter lines. I always think of it as I walk by that area.

Mission to Mars (I didn't know it as the moon adventure) - I really liked the experience! I have a big imagination, so I really let myself get into it. What a great family friendly "adventure"! And it was much better than the cheap food joint that is using up all that real estate now. Only thing it's good for is AC, and we had that in Mission to Mars plus entertainment!

I REALLY miss the Tron ride through in the people mover. Like how I miss the Battlestar Galactica scene at the Universal Studios tour ride. So fun. Little did they know that both those franchises would be appreciated again if they just waited 5 years or so.
                        I also miss the Battlestar Galactica scene at USH. Was a great way to start off the tour when it used to start at the top at the entrance.
                        "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

WOE.......I miss Power of Blast playing at the Hyperion Theatre;

But they did Last !.............(only couple months ?)
                          "THEY WAS GREAT"

Soar’in over California - Really make feel like a "EAGLE"
                          and have say I AGREE...end during the Disneyland fireworks finale; at the time, that truly felt like a Disney-only-could-do-it moment.
                          IMO it best part of Movie/Attration......Just which the fireworks finale could last longer *!*!*!*!
                          I hear you Eagle, I would have totally liked that ending on Soar’in to last longer.

To me, it reminded me of that very rare sight of seeing fireworks going off over Orange County before landing at John Wayne and Long Beach airports.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaygatzby View Post

I hear you Eagle, I would have totally liked that ending on Soar’in to last longer.

To me, it reminded me of that very rare sight of seeing fireworks going off over Orange County before landing at John Wayne and Long Beach airports.
                            Reminds me, I use watch Fireworks from single hill-Long Beach
                            and other place's ! lol
                            One time was aboard the MONORAIL while in the back cab........going around Tomorrowland
                            that was cool.........
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I think some my love for DCA could be rooted to the fact, that I was a Millennial that grew up alongside the park. I remember getting excited at the sight of the massive construction in 2000. The weird factors of the park didn't phase me (mostly) as a kid. And I was actually shocked to learn people hated park.

Was early DCA perfect? No, the Sun Centerpiece was a "great on paper, bad execution" idea. Lets make it glow DURING THE DAYTIME, since guests will love LOOKING at how BRIGHT IT IS (Is it a coincidence, that I now have to wear glasses? ).
                              It's also weird on how lite 1.0 was on characters in the park.
                              Mickey? He's here somewhere...?
                              Princesses? Nope, this is America.
                              Whoopi? YES, wait what...?

But, I love that DCA gave me the chance to finally to see the Electrical Parade, after it left Disneyland. I loved the Calliope Pier music, Mickey Ear loop and Soarin. The Golden Gate bridge and the CALIFORNIA letters are also on my nostalgia list.

Regarding Disneyland....I oddly miss Club Buzz. I never really watched the show, but I remember seeing it being performed while arriving or waiting in line at the Monorail Station. The Jedi Academy just wasn't the same.

Comment

https://www.yesterland.com/blast.html
                                Power of Blast playing at the Hyperion Theatre
                                November 22, 2001, through September 2, 2002
                                Now in YESTERDAY LAND
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I think this is kind of proof that nostalgia googles exist. Many of the kids who grew up with DCA are now nostalgic of park that was part of their childhood. Like many things we are nostalgic about as children, it’s not so much the thing as the fact that we’re young and carefree and that general feeling is something you lose into adulthood (with financial and existential worries). Essentially, we attach that childhood feeling to things, like theme parks, and thus we look back on it more fondly than we would on something we might have experienced first as an adult.

For me, this is Rocket Rods. A highly criticized ride that came out when I had an AP and was just the right age with the right temperament (nothing too physically scary; I didn’t like the big drop on Splash). I love RRs aand will defend it because of my nostalgic bias.

Comment

The park was so empty back then it'd be a hard world to return to if I ever had a time machine lol

That said there are certain elements that either kinda worked enough that I miss them or were just so weird that they almost become a special detail in themselves.

I miss the Zepher Train in Sunshine Plaza the most I think it was a cute little novelty walking through the fake train doors and seeing the way the shops were designed.

The Wave Fountain of Sunshine Plaza was slightly amusing when you'd sit next to it but man that never really fit together. I think maybe of the wave fountain had been part of the entrance mural? It never really added up to a whole lol.

I have weird memories about my 2000's trips to DCA anyways that have more to do with people who were part of my life then that arn't anymore which creates a weird emotion about it. So much of the areas where those memories reside have been so heavily altered I can't really return to that place like I might a few other areas I remember from the past.
                                    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Captain Andy , I'm also weirdly nostalgic for DCA 1.0, too! I try not to hold any illusions about it, though (the fact that I was younger is certainly at play here). I know the park that opened in 2001 wasn't what a Disney park should aspire to be. That said, I have so many fun memories with friends in the parks earlier years and there was something selfishly satisfying about the lack of crowd levels at this time. Sure, California Screamin' or the MaliBOOMer didn't have the level of thought or theming put into them as other Disney attractions, but being able to enjoy them with your friends over and over again without any wait was still enjoyable, especially at the 2001 price points. DCA 1.0, it could be argued, was more thematically cohesive than what stands today, even if the overall execution was not so great. Early DCA also had many attractions that I enjoyed which have since gone off to Yesterland (Muppet*Vision 3D, " it's tough to be a bug", Tower of Terror, Soarin' over California, California Screamin').

In terms of other "weird" things I am nostalgic for, here are a few that come to mind:

- McDonalds fries at the Harbor Galley and enjoying them in the small dining area on the other side of the docked ship.
                                      - Having a mint ice cream sundae inside the Zepher Train.
                                      - 13 treats in 13 frightful weeks HMH pin promotions (there's a general lack of quality NBC merchandise everywhere these days).
                                      - Some of the "scarols" and sometimes, some of the former HMH soundtrack sounds and the giant floating Jack head in the stretching room.
                                      - Spending time doing all the fun little things on Pirate's Lair (yes, I like this overlay) that have since been left to fall apart and rot.
                                      - Mickey Mouse chicken nuggets! I'm sure they were awful for you but man I loved 'em as a kid.

Heck, I could go on and on about things I miss but I think the majority of what I list off wouldn't be considered "weird" to most (like missing the Chamber of Destiny). Those are some of the first that came to my mind. Thanks for starting the thread! Thinking these up took me down memory lane again.

Comment

Originally posted by Blurr View Post
                                        Captain Andy , I'm also weirdly nostalgic for DCA 1.0, too! I try not to hold any illusions about it, though (the fact that I was younger is certainly at play here). I know the park that opened in 2001 wasn't what a Disney park should aspire to be. That said, I have so many fun memories with friends in the parks earlier years and there was something selfishly satisfying about the lack of crowd levels at this time. Sure, California Screamin' or the MaliBOOMer didn't have the level of thought or theming put into them as other Disney attractions, but being able to enjoy them with your friends over and over again without any wait was still enjoyable, especially at the 2001 price points. DCA 1.0, it could be argued, was more thematically cohesive than what stands today, even if the overall execution was not so great. Early DCA also had many attractions that I enjoyed which have since gone off to Yesterland (Muppet*Vision 3D, " it's tough to be a bug", Tower of Terror, Soarin' over California, California Screamin').

In terms of other "weird" things I am nostalgic for, here are a few that come to mind:

- McDonalds fries at the Harbor Galley and enjoying them in the small dining area on the other side of the docked ship.
                                        - Having a mint ice cream sundae inside the Zepher Train.
                                        - 13 treats in 13 frightful weeks HMH pin promotions (there's a general lack of quality NBC merchandise everywhere these days).
                                        - Some of the "scarols" and sometimes, some of the former HMH soundtrack sounds and the giant floating Jack head in the stretching room.
                                        - Spending time doing all the fun little things on Pirate's Lair (yes, I like this overlay) that have since been left to fall apart and rot.
                                        - Mickey Mouse chicken nuggets! I'm sure they were awful for you but man I loved 'em as a kid.

Heck, I could go on and on about things I miss but I think the majority of what I list off wouldn't be considered "weird" to most (like missing the Chamber of Destiny). Those are some of the first that came to my mind. Thanks for starting the thread! Thinking these up took me down memory lane again.
                                        You also had me at "McDonalds fries." While I no longer eat any kind of super-fast food, those fry spots were near and dear to my heart as a young kid, and I still salivate at the thought of them to this day.

And the Mickey nuggets. How have I grown from that to lobster nachos...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X