• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    bayouguy
    Bayou Native

• bayouguy
    replied
    Bug's Land was our nostalgic place in DCA...perfect for our daughter who was pre k at that time...the water fountain wet areas were the best and she really loved getting wet...after changing into dry clothes, we'd get on Heimlich's Chew Chew, Flic's Flyer and Tuck and Rolls...Disneyland topped the day off...

Leave a comment:

• DaHatTrick
    Big Hockey Fan

• DaHatTrick
    replied
    My first trip to Disneyland was in 2000 when I was 4. I remember DCA still being under construction and the California Letters being put up. I am quite nostalgic about that time period. I always felt early DCA wasn’t given enough credibility. The last time I was at DCA this year in October. I walked around DCA reminiscing on the past. Walking from soarin to Grizzly and reminding myself “wow, DCA was this well themed even in 2001!” Yes even in 2001 that small section of the park, the walk from Soarin to grizzly was about the only escape one could find from the outside world in the park. That feeling I felt in 2001 the escape I got from reality I felt again in 2021. There is another small section of Hollywoodland that reminds me of early DCA. After you walk past the theater, and the section where the animation building is, the award wieners and schmoozies. That small section reminds me of early DCA. The area near jumpin jellyfish and golden zephyr also reminds me of that time era. Everything else seems new and is meant to diminish the past. Yet something the pier lacks is great musical theming. As for me walking from the wharf to the pier the musical transition doesn’t feel Disney to me. In the early 2000’s the only thing Disney about DCA was the music. Now in 2021 that musical atmosphere is missing.

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    MiceChatter

• mickdaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by SkunkID View Post

The sadist part of me almost does wish that SSL was just kind of... Boxed up, and sent away to some musuem, so Disney, or ANYONE could look at it, and see why it didn't really work.

That and, bad take, I know, but I'm not 100% impressed with Mike and Sully to the rescue? Like, it's better than SSL, and parts of it are good. But the way it's kind of just in the middle of nowhere location wise, and how it's kind of just lingered in a really weird way (in the sense that, as an early 2000's ride, it really could be at least slightly improved if they swapped the movie footage with HD Blu-ray footage). I'd compare it to the way that alot of people feel burned by Winnie the Pooh in DL, except that ride did kill country bears, which was leagues better than SSL; but in just how it "exists" in the parks, as a perfectly fine dark ride... But there's a better version of it in Japan, and it never seems to get improved cause it's like Disney is waiting for something to replace it.
    I Will say that I am pretty bitter that Japan has amazing versions of Pooh and Monsters rides because they are two of my favorite character IP's and wish they had better representation in the U.S. parks as it is not likely I will ever make it to the Japanese parks in my lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• SkunkID
    Entity of Chaos

• SkunkID
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

It’s almost so bad and transformative that it belonged in a museum of some kind.
    The sadist part of me almost does wish that SSL was just kind of... Boxed up, and sent away to some musuem, so Disney, or ANYONE could look at it, and see why it didn't really work.

That and, bad take, I know, but I'm not 100% impressed with Mike and Sully to the rescue? Like, it's better than SSL, and parts of it are good. But the way it's kind of just in the middle of nowhere location wise, and how it's kind of just lingered in a really weird way (in the sense that, as an early 2000's ride, it really could be at least slightly improved if they swapped the movie footage with HD Blu-ray footage). I'd compare it to the way that alot of people feel burned by Winnie the Pooh in DL, except that ride did kill country bears, which was leagues better than SSL; but in just how it "exists" in the parks, as a perfectly fine dark ride... But there's a better version of it in Japan, and it never seems to get improved cause it's like Disney is waiting for something to replace it.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by Co Foo View Post

The only time I've been to Knott's was about 10 years ago. I remember it being a pretty nice park with some good coasters and I really enjoyed the mine cart dark ride.

I think that might have been the last time I've been to a non-Disney theme park. I've since realized that I'm not really a theme park or coaster enthusiast anymore. I'm just into Disneyland and it's parks. It really is those characters, stories, and atmosphere that I enjoy. Not so much rides.
    I do understand.....as for the rides there very few.....for the same reason.
    coaster enthusiast ,I'm not.....
    I go for the Food -Shops- Entertainment and Atmosphere.
    That what Enjoy the most !

Leave a comment:

• Co Foo
    replied
    Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

I guess, as I was growing up....
    There 2 parks in my life,I enjoy Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm.
    Knott's has always been my 2nd park..... IMO DCA does come close to it
    as Fun goes......
    I been Disappointment how what DCA has become....IMO
    There some good attractions.....there,but over all
    I really do not get a lot.......out of the place!!
    The only time I've been to Knott's was about 10 years ago. I remember it being a pretty nice park with some good coasters and I really enjoyed the mine cart dark ride.

I think that might have been the last time I've been to a non-Disney theme park. I've since realized that I'm not really a theme park or coaster enthusiast anymore. I'm just into Disneyland and it's parks. It really is those characters, stories, and atmosphere that I enjoy. Not so much rides.

Leave a comment:

• Spongeocto4
    OBJECTION!

• Spongeocto4
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian PieGuy View Post
    Here's a deep cut: I'm nostalgic for the preshow that used to play before Honey I Shrunk the Audience. I used to always show up to that attraction early so I could watch the whole preshow.
    I don't remember if I ever saw the full pre-show before. Watching this now confused the heck out of me, as it's very unrelated to HISTA and beyond random. Then I remembered that Kodak was the show's sponsor. And I then thought "Oh...So I just watched a 6 minute schmaltzy commercial for Kodak".

No wondered they went bankrupt.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by brian pieguy View Post
    here's a deep cut: I'm nostalgic for the preshow that used to play before honey i shrunk the audience. I used to always show up to that attraction early so i could watch the whole preshow.

good one !

Leave a comment:

• Brian PieGuy
    Bear of Little Brain

• Brian PieGuy
    replied
    Here's a deep cut: I'm nostalgic for the preshow that used to play before Honey I Shrunk the Audience. I used to always show up to that attraction early so I could watch the whole preshow.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

-The smell of the bromine in the water rides (California's drinking water on the other hand...)
    I think of strange smelly Pirates of the Caribbean water ........Pirate Water
    and get splash with.....were really come from (GRAY WATER)
    It has a new meaning, keep you hand inside the boat at all times..........

Leave a comment:

• Spongeocto4
    OBJECTION!

• Spongeocto4
    replied
    Additional miscellaneous Weird Nostalgia:

-Turnstiles! I'm weirdly disappointed when a ride doesn't have one.

-Jack Wagner's Train announcement and holler. Gives me chills.

-The smell of the bromine in the water rides (California's drinking water on the other hand...)

-Star Tours Oil scent.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky

• Eagleman
    replied
    Superstar Limo- It was Michael Eisner
    "BRIGHT IDEAL"

Leave a comment:

• Jaygatzby
    MiceChatter

• Jaygatzby
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I miss Superstar Limo even though I never went on it, and if it were there today I still wouldn't go on it.
    I almost wonder, if this attraction had somehow lasted till today if it would have gain Disney attraction cult following status, like a attraction version of midnight movie showings like Rocky Horror Picture Show or The Room (‘Oh, hi Mark’)?

I rode it a couple times before it closed and when I look back, if I had viewed the attraction for its pure, over-the-top bad, campy chessefest perspective, I think it may have been more fun just for laughs even if it was definitely a brand deduction by Disney standards.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Andy
    A Brave Little Tailor

• Captain Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I miss Superstar Limo even though I never went on it, and if it were there today I still wouldn't go on it.
    It’s almost so bad and transformative that it belonged in a museum of some kind.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Weaver
    MiceChatter

• Bob Weaver
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Brian PieGuy
    Bear of Little Brain

• Brian PieGuy
    replied
    Another reason I have an appreciation for California Adventure and its concept is because it has inspired me to visit the real locations DCA based their park on. I've made it my goal to visit all the locations depicted in Soarin' over California (I'm still working on getting to the boujee golf course, and unfortunately I don't think the orange grove still exists). My favorites so far are Redwood Creek and Monterey Bay.

Hollywoodland is based on real buildings in Los Angeles, and I used this Yesterland article as the basis for seeing them (it's a bit outdated, but a lot of the buildings are still there). The most recent one I saw is the Beverly Wilshire Hotel, which is the basis for DCA's Hyperion Theater. It was on a busy street, but it was worth it!

Next on my list is the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, Texas, the basis for Cars Land's mountain range
    Brian PieGuy
    Bear of Little Brain
    Last edited by Brian PieGuy; 11-20-2021, 09:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky

• Eagleman
    replied

Reflecting on DCA 1.0, I had a lot of good times there. Certainly it's beneath what a Disney park could be, but it's not like there wasn't anything fun about the place.

The main reason it gets criticized so heavily is that it's across the esplanade from the most iconic theme park in history. The drop off between Disneyland and DCA is steep.
    I guess, as I was growing up....
    There 2 parks in my life,I enjoy Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm.
    Knott's has always been my 2nd park..... IMO DCA does come close to it
    as Fun goes......
    I been Disappointment how what DCA has become....IMO
    There some good attractions.....there,but over all
    I really do not get a lot.......out of the place!!
    Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky
    Last edited by Eagleman; 11-19-2021, 09:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Co Foo
    replied
    "Permenecer sentados por favor."

Leave a comment:

• Brian PieGuy
    Bear of Little Brain

• Brian PieGuy
    replied

The main reason it gets criticized so heavily is that it's across the esplanade from the most iconic theme park in history. The drop off between Disneyland and DCA is steep.
    Exactly. And even Disneyland took years to grow into its better form. Experiencing DCA 2001 and Disneyland 1955 side by side would be interesting🤔

Leave a comment:

• Co Foo
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
    I’ve noticed an uptick of people who are nostalgic for DCA 1.0. You heard me correctly. Here’s the kicker — I’m one of them.

I actually attended DCA within its first year of opening. I was very young, but I can distinctly remember the large spaces of concrete, the dinosaur with the sunglasses, how absurdly weird and un-Disney the space was. However, as I’ve grown older, part of me misses the Beach Boys loop, the smell of burnt coffee, the postcard-sequence entrance… even the view of the Orange Stinger. How weird of me.
    Reflecting on DCA 1.0, I had a lot of good times there. Certainly it's beneath what a Disney park could be, but it's not like there wasn't anything fun about the place.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X