Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

To be fair, nothing really has been changed in Toon Town, since it opened in '93. Tomorrowland has received several updates (of varying quality, I will admit) since the 98 makeover. Toon Town has simply removed things without improving anything...or doing anything at all. Jolly Trolley gone forever, Chip & Dale Ball Pit and Slide Removed, Goofy's house interior being deflated.

I also worry about the last rumored plans for Tomorrowland, where a 3rd TRON coaster could be planted smack dab in the front of the land, right next to the hub. In my opinion, I rather they take their proper time and not hurry out another project with disregard....like Pixar Pier and Avengers Campus....
    Fair argument, however I would counter with the amount of customers that enter and traverse Tomorrowland which is roughly 5x the size of Toontown provides far more touch points and interactions with guests than TT. ( We seldom even enter Toontown and we know many others that do the same). The loss of Rocket Rods/PM and America Sings is far more significant than loosing a trolly and ballot/slide removal. I agree Toontown needed new paint but beyond that nothing about the land was as terribly under maintained/used like empty husks of rides still not dealt with in TL.
    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

an update for sure could be done in that time as the majority of the sets would remain the same, I was more saying the time frame would not support a complete retheme.
      Oh...but from what I read, you weren't really comparing the timeline for an update or a retheme. You seemed to be comparing it to a timeline for the complete construction of a ride from the ground up. Here's part of your quote:

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post
      The time frame suggests it will be closed a little over a year, not sure how much they can really change and do in that time period. Unless they close Roger Rabbits before the March of 2022 timeline I can't see their being a full retheme of that ride as it will have taken 3 years to complete MMRR. I will very much welcome some green space and shade.
      So I guess MMRR is "Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway"; an entirely new ride (although a 2nd generation from the one in Florida). But see? It sounded like you were talking about the timeframe for a whole new ride.
      By the way, "Twilight Zone ToT" in DCA closed in January of 2017, and "GotG: Mission Breakout" opened later that year in May. In other words, less then 5 months for a re-theme.
      March of 2022 is over 9 months before even January of 2023. That should be plenty of time for an update or retheme, especially if they have people at WDI right now building new set pieces, recording new audio, doing animation for new projections, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post

Fair argument, however I would counter with the amount of customers that enter and traverse Tomorrowland which is roughly 5x the size of Toontown provides far more touch points and interactions with guests than TT. ( We seldom even enter Toontown and we know many others that do the same). The loss of Rocket Rods/PM and America Sings is far more significant than loosing a trolly and ballot/slide removal. I agree Toontown needed new paint but beyond that nothing about the land was as terribly under maintained/used like empty husks of rides still not dealt with in TL.
        I think quantifying attraction absences is the wrong way to go. It seems more impactful if we're comparing America Sings and Rocket Rods to a bounce house/slides/climbing net. However America Sings has been gone for decades and was replaced with Innoventions, it was a downgrade for sure but it was replaced. Rocket Rods replaced two attractions (People Mover/Circlevision) and its queue was replaced by Buzz which is more popular than Circlevision and likely more popular than PM.

I think the real differentiator between Tomorrowland and Toontown is that Toontown has managed to maintain a strong sense of identity and I don't know what Tomorrowland is exactly.

The Downtown of Toontown is usually fairly busy whenever I visit and I often find myself interfering in people pictures accidentally if I just want to go out of my way to play with a few of the buttons ore interactive elements. I don't usually go to the residential side though but I'm sure Mickey and Minnie do fine. The land may have too much concrete but there's no mistaking the cartoon architecture and the kind of place its trying to be.

Tomorrowland has way better attractions but overall reads as just mishmesh. There isn't a common thread that ties everything together aesthetically and I think that hurts Tomorrowland more than any kind of quantifying missing attractions or gaps. You just don't walk through Tomorrowland and get the same feeling you do in Adventureland or Frontierland. It's just a series of buildings with some pretty nice attractions behind them and I think that adds to the Westslide slant the park has where all the cool areas feel like they're over there. Even Fantasyland West has a kind of Tomorrowland vibe in spots but at least there's gardens over there.

I then the real answer for why its time to finally fill in Toontowns gaps and fix the logistical problems like not enough shade is the theme park market in 2023. Runaway Railway is going to be going up against Mario Kart isn't it? If Mario Kart is anything like the land Universal opened in Tokyo then we're going to see an amazing interactive land with plenty of little minigame stations and small details layered all over the place.

Thus to properly counter this addition Disney ought to brush up the area around Toontown to a more modern spec. Guests should reach the area and find a modern comfortable spot full of similar modern interactive elements as well as being comfortable to explore. Toontown already has some of the bones with the downtown area still having all its buttons but if they can patch up the holes with new interactive elements and just add a nice relaxing spot it should balance out nicely as a competitor to the new Nintendoland.
        "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

So happy they are plussing our Toon Town instead of axing it altogether (lookin at you Magic Kingdom!).

Facebook me!
          Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider View Post

I think the real differentiator between Tomorrowland and Toontown is that Toontown has managed to maintain a strong sense of identity and I don't know what Tomorrowland is exactly.
            Tomorrowland have become "TACKY and RUNDOWN"........
            But still feel Toontown needs TLC and refreshing .....
            even tho it does have it sense of identity!
            I Agree
            IMO
            Last edited by Eagleman; 11-17-2021, 08:08 PM.
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Listen I'm gonna give Disney the easiest layup ever. Add a "House of Mouse" style theater/resturaunt. Get adults to want to get over to Toon Town.

Comment

Realistically, Disney is probably going to limit fireworks to only weekends and holidays and after-hours parties. That will make it not that big of a deal for ToonTown to close early, even with MMRR.

Regarding the path, it may actually be required now for emergency egress. That land is a bottleneck, and could be disastrous if there were a fire or other emergency blocking the tunnel under the Railroad. Similar to Tomorrowland, any major construction in this land will likely trigger a legal requirement to bring that whole area up to code. Beyond that, Disney probably just wants to make it as easy as possible for people to get to Galaxy's Edge, and having to leave Toontown and walk all the way around through Fantasyland is a major pain (particularly for the young, the elderly, people with mobility challenges, and the many of us who are not in peak physical condition).

Regarding Tomorrowland, the redo will cost at least 4-5 billion at this point. More if it drags out another 5-10 years before construction starts. Galaxy's Edge cost over 2 billion several years ago, and inflation and materials costs have skyrocketed since then (especially with the global supply chain issues stemming from the pandemic). Disney will only make that move if the redo is something that is guaranteed to bring in billions of dollars in merchandise and special themed food (ala Galaxy's Edge) to recoup the billions spent on demolishing the old and building the new. That requires a MAJOR IP theme, which doesn't currently exist for Tomorrowland (the closest thing would have been Marvel).

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Fonzi Brown View Post
                  Realistically, Disney is probably going to limit fireworks to only weekends and holidays and after-hours parties. That will make it not that big of a deal for ToonTown to close early, even with MMRR.
                  Disney have and will continue save money were they can
                  and as entertainment and specially with FIREWORK is going be limited.

Regarding the path, it may actually be required now for emergency egress. That land is a bottleneck, and could be disastrous if there were a fire or other emergency blocking the tunnel under the Railroad.
                  Fire lane needs be open ,at all time for emergency.......and can not block.

IMO-I agree with on both counts !

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

When MMRR opens along with a whole new Toontown, i believe they will only shown projection show on weekdays, even in summer where fireworks were almost shown on daily basis. Giving the guest demand to keep MMRR open past 8 pm (fireworks begin at 9:30 pm normally), i wouldn't surprised if it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
                      Oh...but from what I read, you weren't really comparing the timeline for an update or a retheme. You seemed to be comparing it to a timeline for the complete construction of a ride from the ground up. Here's part of your quote:

So I guess MMRR is "Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway"; an entirely new ride (although a 2nd generation from the one in Florida). But see? It sounded like you were talking about the timeframe for a whole new ride.
                      By the way, "Twilight Zone ToT" in DCA closed in January of 2017, and "GotG: Mission Breakout" opened later that year in May. In other words, less then 5 months for a re-theme.
                      March of 2022 is over 9 months before even January of 2023. That should be plenty of time for an update or retheme, especially if they have people at WDI right now building new set pieces, recording new audio, doing animation for new projections, etc.
                      I was comparing the two because the Roger Rabbit building and interior theme is very specific to the movie itself so there would need to be a complete change, With the Guardians update of TOT they literally stripped the interior to look like a warehouse, added some props and screens and called it good. The exterior probably took the majority of the time for that one. My guess is they will do the Jessica Rabbit update and call it good. Just my speculation. Also I fully understand that a lot of the time on MMRR was to create the structure itself so a poor comparison on my part.
                      BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

They had me at "spontaneous family play and parental relaxation".

When my kids were little they had a blast in Toontown. We had to talk them into leaving and going to other places in Disneyland. This is going to be great for all the young families.

Comment

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post
                          They had me at "spontaneous family play and parental relaxation".

When my kids were little they had a blast in Toontown. We had to talk them into leaving and going to other places in Disneyland. This is going to be great for all the young families.
                          I for a area such as TOONTOWN for the little one's to enjoy......
                          But as for me , I just pass that area by......
                          When I was a Kid
                          My Brother and I
                          was able spend a whole day on Tom Sawyer Island ,
                          But that was many years, ago....lol

But I'm glad that Disney going give TOONTOWN , the Refreshing that area needs......
                          IMO
                          Last edited by Eagleman; 11-19-2021, 08:25 PM.
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by spfalla View Post
                            Listen I'm gonna give Disney the easiest layup ever. Add a "House of Mouse" style theater/resturaunt. Get adults to want to get over to Toon Town.
                            I always thought this would be a perfect fit for a Downtown Disney/Disney Springs. I never got the impression that the show was a huge hit or anything, but the concept of Mickey owning what was essentially a Dinner Club that ran Disney Cartoons non-stop on the big screen (with room for character interaction and special events) seems obvious enough to lean into. I'd certainly choose something like that over Earl of Sandwich any day.

But I wouldn't say no to it in Toontown either! Pop the show and its specials up on Disney+, maybe even make some new ones, and let people come . . .
                            www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
                            -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
                            ~Alice Davis

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X