Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Keys, Restaurants, and New Technology

Hey Everyone,

While eating at Carthay yesterday we learned that the servers at most (if not all) restaurants would eventually be receiving new IPhones specifically for the purpose of taking payments. I asked how this would affect those with Magic Keys, and the response was that the systems will be able to detect a screenshot vs the actual pass and will not process the former. The belief is that this new process would be taking place prior to the New Year and the influx of visitors. If anyone else like me is using an old phone, then I guess that means we will ultimately need to upgrade.

Isn't there an option to pay $20 for a plastic pass? Kinda lame, but cheaper than a new phone.

Comment

Due to fraud they have already updated the Disneyland App to change the bar code occasionally for the Magic Key pass. They're just going to speed it up to change quickly with the exact same tech that Ticketmaster uses for sporting events - the bar code has an animated ring around it and changes every few seconds. It tells you clearly "screenshots won't get you in.". Nobody needs a different phone for this as it's just a mathematical algorithm. They're already using the new iPhones at the gates as of last night and already rejecting screenshots as the party in front of us got stuck because they needed to load the actual Disneyland app (they tried to use a screen shot that was outdated instead of the app). The old front gate iPhones had an added scanner jacket, the new ones just use the phone camera itself. Interestingly after we entered the park my wife's barcode changed but mine didn't. But I have seen it change - when it does you pull up the app and click on the ticket screen and you'll see the barcode load then change about a second later. The numbers below don't change but those will go away with the new update.

Eventually I believe that the barcode will go away entirely and be replaced by MagicMobile which is already testing at WDW and seems to be working fine - your ticket will move into ApplePay or Google Pay, whichever you use - and become a entirely NFC based system where you just tap your phone.

Unfortunately there is way too much fraud that is easily committed with screenshots of tickets and other apps. People download questionable apps to their phone and unknowingly release Spyware that steals information. You'll notice these days your bank's app won't even show your full login name, account number or any other complete identifier on the screen to prevent these Spyware apps from taking a screen shot and allowing your account to be hacked.

By Disney moving from plastic cards to phone apps with barcodes they knew they were opening a whole new Pandora's box. They have to eliminate the ability to use a screenshot ASAP and move away from any printed ticket to digital only.
      ​​​​​
      ​​​​​​That $20 paper card printout is going to go extinct very soon as well - it will be discontinued in early 2022. Won't be needed because of the Magic Band rollout.

And for those of you who have constantly responded to my posts going back to 2017 when I said Magic Bands are coming to Anaheim and the infrastructure is already installed - who said it will never happen and didn't believe me that they had already wired the entire park for it - you're welcome.

Now the customer gets to pay for the band to make up for the lack of Wi-Fi infrastructure. Meanwhile they recoup the rest of their Magic Band costs by selling them on both coasts.

​​​​​
      Last edited by ClownLoach; 11-20-2021, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deez Nutz View Post
        Isn't there an option to pay $20 for a plastic pass? Kinda lame, but cheaper than a new phone.
        No, the small print said twenty dollars for a paper ticket version of your pass. My gang all got them, no charge, use them all over instead of our phones.
        Last edited by sailor310; 11-20-2021, 10:51 PM.
        Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by sailor310 View Post

No, the small print said twenty dollars for a paper ticket version of your pass. My gang all got them, no charge, use them all over instead of our phones.
          That sound BETTER to me !
          Not crazy about use my phone........
          IMO
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

That's good, my phone has a lot of problems with screenshots for some reason
            Brian the Pooh

Comment

So tired of Disney “updating” things. Ya know what needs constant updating, bad ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumperrrrr View Post
                So tired of Disney “updating” things. Ya know what needs constant updating, bad ideas.
                There are massive fraud problems with the barcodes. Disney never should have used them, that was the bad idea. Within the next year you'll see them completely wiped out of the sports and entertainment ticket industry. Everything is going to digital NFC (near field communications) - same technology as tap to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

That sound BETTER to me !
                  Not crazy about use my phone........
                  IMO
                  The paper pass will not be accepted after the Magic Bands land. Hopefully they'll let guests exchange the paper pass for a basic band at no charge. The barcodes will move to rapid changing for now, and completely gone (Magic Band or MagicMobile NFC) very soon just like the rest of the ticketing industry. This is an industry change not a Disney change due to fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownLoach View Post

The paper pass will not be accepted after the Magic Bands land. Hopefully they'll let guests exchange the paper pass for a basic band at no charge. The barcodes will move to rapid changing for now, and completely gone (Magic Band or MagicMobile NFC) very soon just like the rest of the ticketing industry. This is an industry change not a Disney change due to fraud.
                    make sence-thank you
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X