Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Lawn…

Am I the only one seeing an emerging pattern of “remove that, put a lawn there and put out a press release touting our great new expansion!”

I have a bad feeling we have not seen the last of this.
    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Lawn=$$$ to rent out for special events.

Comment

If they're removing concrete or some type of blockage/barrier (planter, wall, etc) to create more open green space I'm good with it.

The new re-do of TT will be much more pleasant to visit than the 'concrete and no trees' place it is now.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
        Lawn=$$$ to rent out for special events.
        Same M.O. as when they replaced the Disneyland Hotel's beautiful waterfalls, streams and koi pools with a lawn, which they then rented out for weddings.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

Comment

It part of Disney’s ‘Going green’ initiative:

Add low install/low maintenance lawns, offer such spaces for special events, and gain higher yield per square foot.

In all seriousness, this reminds me of another example of the Pressler era when it seemed more money and effort was used on shops and retail, rather than attractions because of revenue gain.

I like the idea of some more open relaxing green spaces, but I also get the feeling most of these are being designed to further serve as more ‘exclusive’ limited capacity higher revenue event spaces (with the exception of Toon Town).

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Same M.O. as when they replaced the Disneyland Hotel's beautiful waterfalls, streams and koi pools with a lawn, which they then rented out for weddings.
            Definitely dating myself, but back in the day, before things like Irvine Spectrum, Disney Hotel with those koi ponds, water falls, restaurants and clubs like Sgt. Preston’s really we’re a perfect date night.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

That specific blunder was what I was thinking about, when I wrote my OP.

The Disneyland Hotel has in my opinion, way too many spaces on property to rent. I get its the convention center of the property, but I doubt that they have ever booked up all spaces at once. Even during pre-pandemic times.

Comment

With this logic, I began to wonder who would be so ridiculous to get married in Toon Town…

Then I looked in the mirror.

Comment

It’s easy to be cynical considering current management but I think in this specific case, more green space is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by wdimike55 View Post
                    It’s easy to be cynical considering current management but I think in this specific case, more green space is welcome.
                    I for that
                    Long with ~SHADY TREES~
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

More places for kids to run around and just be kids is okay with me.
                      We don't have enough of it anymore, used to play in the bounce house and ball pit all the time. People just love throwing lawsuits around like candy now so I understand why they take these places out, but I have so many good memories from those fun spots "making my own magic" as my parents used to say.

Comment

I am hearing they are using fake grass instead of actual lawn which makes sense as the volume of foot traffic would have it hard to keep a lush surface pristine year round. My concern if this is the case then anyone who has owned fake grass will tell you the surface gets really hot on hot days. I am hoping there is a surface I haven't seen yet that would stay cool like real grass but so far I am not aware.
                        Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                          I am hoping there is a surface I haven't seen yet that would stay cool like real grass but so far I am not aware.
                          I had dogs when I was buying my turf, and the salesman brought samples of many different kinds and then placed them out in the hot backyard while we were talking inside. Later on we went outside and he had me touch the various pieces of turf so I could see how cool they'd stay. Some of them stayed decently cool, but at the expensive of not being as convincing looking. The cooler feeling ones were more reflective, looking more like a freshly watered lawn with water on it. Another plus is that it was a tougher material, so it'd survive my dogs (and probably lots of food traffic.) It wasn't cheap though so that might be a problem for the beancounters today

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                            I am hearing they are using fake grass instead of actual lawn which makes sense as the volume of foot traffic would have it hard to keep a lush surface pristine year round. My concern if this is the case then anyone who has owned fake grass will tell you the surface gets really hot on hot days. I am hoping there is a surface I haven't seen yet that would stay cool like real grass but so far I am not aware.
                            I sure....it going be the fake grass afraid,that what use at the MAGIC KINGDOM at Walt Disney World .
                            the upkeep is cheaper than real grass...........daily use
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X