Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: How long before Bob Chapek is replaced?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL: How long before Bob Chapek is replaced?

With Disney's latest disappointing quarterly report and constant missteps on behalf of the Walt Disney Corporation, how much longer do you give Disney's board before they find new leadership?
    Chapek will be gone this time next year.
    11.11%
    Chapek will be replaced by summer.
    0%
    Chapek will be replaced if he continues to disappoint Wall Street.
    85.19%
    Chapek is doing a great job and will remain for years.
    3.70%

The poll is expired.

I'd be surprised if Chapek lasted beyond 2022. Regardless of his marketing and finance skills, he increasingly appears miscast as the public face of Disney: He seems to be tone-deaf to the entertainment industry, dismissive of Disney's traditions of customer service, and a cheapskate to his employees -- the latter in an era of employee empowerment.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

It's all about the benjamins. If the BoD and (major) stockholders don't see a return on their investment, he'll be 'invited to retire to spend more time with his family'.
      "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
        I'd be surprised if Chapek lasted beyond 2022. Regardless of his marketing and finance skills, he increasingly appears miscast as the public face of Disney: He seems to be tone-deaf to the entertainment industry, dismissive of Disney's traditions of customer service, and a cheapskate to his employees -- the latter in an era of employee empowerment.
        I agree. Chapek seems to lack any imagination or long term vision. He seems like he would make a fine accountant but he is proving to be a disastrous choice for CEO.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
          I agree. Chapek seems to lack any imagination or long term vision. He seems like he would make a fine accountant but he is proving to be a disastrous choice for CEO.
          Exactly. As head of marketing he's an asset. As CEO he's a poster boy for the Peter Principle.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
          - Bob Chapek

Comment

I read somewhere that he was heckled out of a meet and greet with Guests over at WDW and that he immediately ran to the backstage area to hide. Of course there's no video evidence of it but it would sort of explain why he pulled out of his D23 appearance.

In any case, I am leaning into the pessimist mentality. I'm just going to assume that he is here to stay for as long as he wants so I'm mentally prepared and not really too surprised with anything going forward. -and if things change and he gets replaced by someone better? Then I get to be pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed.
            Last edited by Blurr; 11-22-2021, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Sadly he has already damaged so much it is head shaking. I know shareholders are not happy as the last 6 months their stock value has dropped when other studios and theme park corporations in that sector have risen nicely. True fans are now very angry by his actions and very frustrated by his ongoing stewardship. The parks are making changes nobody asked for and many of these changes are making the park experience less not more. Pricing has risen beyond the rest of the inflation spectrum and Disney is more and more becoming seen as an elitist endeavor which is a turn off to the majority of fans who can afford to visit but are now choosing not to. I hear more and more with other families in the affluent So. OC area I live in that they no longer wear their Disney merch as it sparks the ire of others they interact with. My wife is a middle school teacher and she has seen the transition away from Mickey Mouse as a fashion brand to now seeing Peanuts and Nintendo and Anime as being "cool" IP's to wear. As somebody that does design and marketing for a living I am personally shocked at how badly he has miss managed things. He could have easily attracted droves of guests all happy to revisit their favorite place and be building an ever increasing army of Disney Evangelists making crowds the only thing people complain about. Now people still complain about crowding but the complaints are a list that is ever growing. Boob cheap park has mismanaged himself into a corner and there is no turning back now for him, he literally could not reverse his direction without major backlash from share holders who would see it as cutting any chance at increased profits. His moves are not the kind that can simply be reversed or pivoted they are all or nothing chances that so far have all seem to yield nothing. I still hold hope we will get Disneyland back to where it feels there is at least some mutual benefit for visiting. We are still willing to return if the parks return to a more worth while park as they were before Covid. We hope things will rebound somehow and it is why I still visit Micechat in hopes of hearing good news for once. In the end my wife and I are pretty much in the camp of we will return when chapek is gone not before and our now teen daughters are fine with that as well since they are really enjoying Knott's in the meantime. I am just glad when they were younger Disneyland was still mostly a positive experience and we have those memories. I hope in the coming years those with young ones can experience this again.
              Last edited by Starcade; 11-23-2021, 11:13 AM.
              Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

I’ll try to start positive. Based on the mounting evidence and areas Disney has been shifting its focus (data collection, mobile experiences, etc.) I think this is at its core, as a consumer, just an example of the wrong person (Chapek) in the wrong position (CEO of the Disney media corporation).

I think if Chapek was leading either a national traditional retailer (such as Target) or an online retailer (like Amazon’s retail business), I believe within that space, he and his like minded colleagues he’d bring over, would be exceptional. With focused resources on cutting expenses, reducing operating inefficiencies, and maximizing cost-per-sale margins, he’d be considered a Wall Street hero.

But what could be considered Chapek’s best strengths are not only weaknesses, but really are liabilities for Disney.

For as much as Chapek could arguably be considered an exceptional ‘goods/physical products’ retailer, it could be argued he is also an unexceptional ‘service and experiences’ (creative content, lifestyle experiences, etc.) retailer.

I could homer to my own interest and believe Chapek’s fall will be due to the brand and experience damage he admin. is spreading throughout the parks (hard to see now with the burn off from the return pent-up demand and higher prices; but I’ve actively talked to those I know that are not hard core Disney fans that returned from the parks and I’ve heard the same three reoccurring responses: 1.) Parks are still too crowded 2.) Everything seems unnecessarily over complicated now (reservations, mobile ordering, etc.) and perhaps the worse 3.) My family is ready to take another longer break from going back to a Disney park.

But again, Chapek’s Wall Street fall from grace will likely be Disney+.

I think in 2022 those ever distant subscriber #’s are going to become increasingly impossible to achieve and with each new quarterly earnings report, Wall Street analysts are going to not continue buying the same old ‘sorry guys, we promise we have more content coming and with that the subscribers will come’ story.

I don’t know Chapek and I won’t weigh in on if I think he is a good or bad guy.

I just see him as the wrong person in the wrong position and, for my own long term interests as a Disney fan, I just wish we’d get a CEO that was a much more natural and exceptional services and experiences company leader.

Comment

I vote ........
                  Chapek will be replaced if he continues to disappoint Wall Street.
                  That will show in the stock market if he up or out the door.....
                  Hope it sooner that !
                  IMO
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Blurr View Post
                    I read somewhere that he was heckled out of a meet and greet with Guests over at WDW and that he immediately ran to the backstage area to hide. Of course there's no video evidence of it but it would sort of explain why he pulled out of his D23 appearance....
                    It's no surprise that Disney has blocked fan media sites on their in-park WiFi. Headlines like these have been common during the last week:

Bob Chapek Bails on D23 Event So He Won't Get Booed

The Disney CEO is HIDING from Angry Disney Fans?

Disney CEO Bob Chapek Skips Out on Destination D23: Is He HIDING from Angry Disney Fans?

Bob Chapek No Longer Attending D23 Event

Disney CEO Bob Chapek Pulled from Destination D23 Appearance Out of Fear Disney Fans Would Boo Him

Disney CEO Bob Chapek Will NOT Attend Destination D23 — Fans Cite His Growing Unpopularity

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Sure glad
                      I did want see Bob anyway.....

Have Not Been Good News- for Disney again
                      CEO make no D23 appearance......................
                      But Not Surprising......
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post

Agree....He good in Advertisement........
                        He is disastrous choice for CEO
                        Now he to far up.......and it time for just leave, the company-IMO
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I think even worse than Bob bailing on D23 (which if he really did have a schedule conflict on Friday night and couldn’t make it, totally understandable; we’re all human) was the statement about the schedule conflict by Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Whaler that a You Tube Disney blogger shared (ending in a “you’ve really stooped to a new low making this up.”)

I get Disney needs to play media defense sometimes and it could, admittedly be a difference in my generation, but even on the defensive responses, I always thought these spokespersons responses were to try and be polite, not to be belittling, antagonistic, and personal.

Rather than ending on a simple ‘Bob looks forward to attending future D23 events’ or even a ‘while our company denies the contents of your recent report, we do respect and appreciate you continuing to share your interest in Disney with your YouTube subscribers’ .

Between Whaler’s recent response and the initial ScarJo lawsuit response (which was just wrong on so many levels) it seems Disney’s current spokespeople are more interested in being combative rather than professional.

It just continues to be a different Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaygatzby View Post
                            I think even worse than Bob bailing on D23 (which if he really did have a schedule conflict on Friday night and couldn’t make it, totally understandable; we’re all human) was the statement about the schedule conflict by Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Whaler that a You Tube Disney blogger shared (ending in a “you’ve really stooped to a new low making this up.”)

I get Disney needs to play media defense sometimes and it could, admittedly be a difference in my generation, but even on the defensive responses, I always thought these spokespersons responses were to try and be polite, not to be belittling, antagonistic, and personal.

Rather than ending on a simple ‘Bob looks forward to attending future D23 events’ or even a ‘while our company denies the contents of your recent report, we do respect and appreciate you continuing to share your interest in Disney with your YouTube subscribers’ .

Between Whaler’s recent response and the initial ScarJo lawsuit response (which was just wrong on so many levels) it seems Disney’s current spokespeople are more interested in being combative rather than professional...
                            The snippets of unprofessional 'tude that come out in public speak volumes about the mood inside. Those on the corporate ladder who make public statements reflect the groupthink that comes from the top -- in this case, Chapek.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                            - Bob Chapek

Comment

You left out the best answer to your poll, "Not Soon Enough".
                              sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

I voted if he keeps disappointing Wall street, but in my opinion it is a little more than that. Chapek has become a laughing stalk in the Disney fandom, When your base does not have faith in its leader that is or at least should be a major red flag. The company has an interesting dilemma on it's hands though, get rid of him too soon and it looks like you don't have a clue how to run the company and who is the best to lead, Keep him to long and you can potentially damage the company to a point of costing major losses. The handling of the Union negotiations and the Scarlett Johannsen lawsuit speak volumes as does Moving WDI and other cost cutting measures. The issue at hand is the same issue that every company is facing right now is that the pandemic changed the rules so now everyone looks at what do companies need to do to survive so he will be given at least a pass if not be commended if his efforts help the company regain the loses it felt during the shutdown. The problem lies in the long run. With reports of Christmas merchandise already having stocking issues in the gift shops and other money making items not being restocked fast enough the return may not be what is expected and all of the other cost cutting measures will be met with disappointment. As was stated above His skill set was in marketing and consumer products and this is another example of promoted to failure and he will be replaced sooner rather than later in my opinion.
                                BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

If Chapek is given the boot, I doubt it will be anytime soon (unless he quits). Chapek is not "on his own" just, as Iger is still on the board for another month. Instead, 2022 will be his make or break year. Even then, history suggest it could take longer. Roy E. Disney's plan to ousted Eisner actually took about 2 years to happen.

If he does leave, then who will replace him? Despite the Iger conspiracy theory on the internet, I don't think Iger will return as CEO, unless on an interim basis. Disney will likely want a younger candidate to fill the role. And right now, there is no obvious choice.

Comment

If the stock drops for an extended period of time, then he will probably be replaced. But that's a big if.

Ive heard Josh D'marro floated as a possible replacement. But aside from hearing he's a nice guy, I haven't been impressed with what he's done with the resorts.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post
                                      If the stock drops for an extended period of time, then he will probably be replaced. But that's a big if.

Ive heard Josh D'marro floated as a possible replacement. But aside from hearing he's a nice guy, I haven't been impressed with what he's done with the resorts.
                                      I have tempered enthusiasm for Josh. Even though he wasn’t given many big announcements to share last weekend, there was just a natural positive and fun way he presented, especially during the ‘wow’ lightsaber moment. I also am not a fan of moving most of Imagineering to Florida (even if I understand the business reasons for the decision).

If, very big if, Josh was a replacement, I hope it would be like a Walt/Roy or Eisner/Wells package deal, where Josh was the creative public face and another executive was the operations/behind-the-scenes lead role.

But agree with much of the thread sentiment, for Chapek to be ousted, the stock would essentially have to crater in 2022. Even in the event that stock crash did happen, Chapek could at such a low stock price, probably make a play to sell the company to Apple or Amazon, giving him a couple more additional years leading Disney and then walking off with an enormous pay day once such a merger was complete.

Comment

Originally posted by Druggas View Post
                                        You left out the best answer to your poll, "Not Soon Enough".
                                        Indeed. 😁

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X