Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: How long before Bob Chapek is replaced?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This isn't any sort of defense of Chepak... But suddenly the way even Disney itself is making VERY bad choices that seems to put all the blame aimed at Chepak seems...off?

A few days ago Defunctland released their feature length doc on fastpast in the parks, and that video got me thinking about how, ALOT of the current problems seem to follow a combination of the situation surrounding to effort to DESPERATELY streamline guest spending and create class warfare between guests by introducing "paid" fastpasses. Either in the form of what we have now with lightening lane and Maxpass, or the situation with fastpass+ where guests were "paying" for fast passes literally months in advance ahead of others by being able to book hotels, be part of the vacation club or other Disney up charges.

That combined with the overuse of popular IP's that, even I can find "cheap," making me think of places like SeaWorld and Legoland, that create entire lands and themed attractions, JUST to have to retheme them less than a decade later. Alot of the problems, predate Chepak, and easily start with Iger. They've been trying to find ways to essentially bring back pay-to-ride since the early 2010's. Price jumps outpacing inflation have been around since the Pressler era. And understaffing and throwing CM's under the bus to satisfy overly entitled guests have been a thing at least since the famous 60th anniversary kick off disaster.

I'm not saying Chepak should be allowed to stay. He shouldn't be allowed to last the year. But part of me does worry that, like others have already said, Chepak might have just been continuing what Iger and the Disney BoD have been DYING to do for a decade now. Chepak just happened to be the one to pull the trigger, and refuse to look back... Mostly because what he's done is what "has been wanted." It's just that it was always kind of known that it would result in a disaster, and maybe everything that's happened over the past decade was inevitable to the current situation within the parks, and Chepak is sort of a sacrifice to allow it all the kind of crash and burn and eventually reset.

I just don't know if a "reset" will get us anywhere back to where we were before. If we can ever get to the point where the parks are well staffed, and staff are payed fairly. If ticket prices match up to where economic trends say their should fairly be priced and not where investors have been dying for them to be priced. If we can ever go back to free fastpasses, or hell, if we could AT LEAST just have Maxpass and no "pay-to-ride" nonsense. I don't know if it's possible to ever go back. Simply because "the profits are just too good." It doesn't matter if the product is subpar, if the workers would be more respected at the Walmart or target or Starbucks. It might just be broke now.
    Last edited by SkunkID; 11-24-2021, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaygatzby View Post

I have tempered enthusiasm for Josh. Even though he wasn’t given many big announcements to share last weekend, there was just a natural positive and fun way he presented, especially during the ‘wow’ lightsaber moment. I also am not a fan of moving most of Imagineering to Florida (even if I understand the business reasons for the decision).

If, very big if, Josh was a replacement, I hope it would be like a Walt/Roy or Eisner/Wells package deal, where Josh was the creative public face and another executive was the operations/behind-the-scenes lead role.
      Josh D'Amaro is not a guaranteed shoo-in, as There are other potentialcandiates.

Rising through the ranks is Kareem Daniels, head of Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution and an ally of Chapek. Earlier this year, The Wrap called Daniels "the Most Powerful Figure in Hollywood You’ve Never Heard Of".

We have the brief former Disneyland President & longtime ally to Chapek, Rebecca Campbell. Currently she is serving as heads of International Operations AND Direct-to-Consumer.

There is Christine M McCarthy, the CFO, the 'Number 2' in the company, that executive who made the recent bad joke about waistlines...

The recent Fox Transfer, Peter Rice, who is Head of Disney Television. This may seem a random choice, but let's not forget that Iger was plucked from the ABC/TV division.

James Pitaro, Head of ESPN and Sports Content....and he likely has no shot at the job because of that 4 letter TV network I just mentioned....so never mind.....

And just for reference, the other remaining Major Disney Executives I didn't mentioned are:

-Recent fully installed Disney Studios head, Alan Bergman
      -Jenny Cohen, head of "Corporate Social Responsibility"
      -Carlos A. Gómez, Treasurer
      -Ronald L. Iden., Chief Security Officer
      -Diane Hudgens, Enterprise Technology and Chief Information Officer
      -Nancy Lee, Chief of Staff to Executive Chairmen(AKA Iger/Chapek)
      -Latondra Newton, Chief Diversity Officer
      -Paul Richardson, Chief Human Resources Officer
      -Alicia Schwarz, Chief Compliance Officer
      -Brent​​​​​ Woodford, Controllership, Financial Planning, Tax

(I excluded Zenia Mucha, Alan Horn & Alan Braverman who are all leaving the company next month).

But agree with much of the thread sentiment, for Chapek to be ousted, the stock would essentially have to crater in 2022. Even in the event that stock crash did happen, Chapek could at such a low stock price, probably make a play to sell the company to Apple or Amazon, giving him a couple more additional years leading Disney and then walking off with an enormous pay day once such a merger was complete.
      The board would fire him ASAP before that actually happened. By having the stock plunge, the company is in danger to a hostile takeover, where anyone could take over the company. With or without a finanical payout.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

The board would fire him ASAP before that actually happened. By having the stock plunge, the company is in danger to a hostile takeover, where anyone could take over the company. With or without a finanical payout.
        I felt in a way........a takeover ,have taken place with in the company........IMO
        But still possible
        hostile takeover, where anyone could take over the company,
        if the company does get there act together soon.....

and again maybe this what the BoD wants ?
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

It's always about the dollars. Always

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

I felt in a way........a takeover ,have taken place with in the company........IMO
            But still possible
            hostile takeover, where anyone could take over the company,
            if the company does get there act together soon.....

and again maybe this what the BoD wants ?
            It’s an interesting angle Eagle, a bit of a Trojan Horse, taken-over-from-the-inside with the way current Disney is running things. Makes me wonder though: Was it years, recent decades, of Disney’s company culture that made Chapek and Co., or would Chapek and the current admin. been the same even if they replaced Iger from the outside without time inside Disney?

When I think of the possibilities of a hostile takeover, I think about how close Comcast attempt came back in 2004. Comcast saw the state Disney was in back then and figured they were vulnerable enough to make a play.

Even in the thoroughs of the decline, I think Eisner was still a fighter and if it had been a weaker minded CEO at Disney at the time, Comcast may have succeeded.

If Disney has a financially rough 2022 and potentially a Apple makes a bid, should be interesting to see if/how Chapek reacts to such a takeover attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaygatzby View Post

It’s an interesting angle Eagle, a bit of a Trojan Horse, taken-over-from-the-inside with the way current Disney is running things. Makes me wonder though: Was it years, recent decades, of Disney’s company culture that made Chapek and Co., or would Chapek and the current admin. been the same even if they replaced Iger from the outside without time inside Disney?

When I think of the possibilities of a hostile takeover, I think about how close Comcast attempt came back in 2004. Comcast saw the state Disney was in back then and figured they were vulnerable enough to make a play.

Even in the thoroughs of the decline, I think Eisner was still a fighter and if it had been a weaker minded CEO at Disney at the time, Comcast may have succeeded.

If Disney has a financially rough 2022 and potentially a Apple makes a bid, should be interesting to see if/how Chapek reacts to such a takeover attempt.
              IMO
              Trojan Horse, taken-over-from-the-inside,
              and there been big change since Eisner.......
              But the takeover with in, really hit during CEO IGER who is still on the BoD in the company,
              and how he made money......(still does)
              also still in control of the company !
              O there others in play......again , IGER name really pop up ,even with Chapek as CEO !
              Again IMO
              Last edited by Eagleman; 11-27-2021, 08:20 PM.
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                It's always about the dollars. Always
                And sadly, the guests are always the victims..........

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post

And sadly, the guests are always the victims..........
                  Well I do feel ,over all Consumer in the company.....get a raw deal
                  But it is up to Consumer how they want be treated , and there vote in there Wallet
                  Last edited by Eagleman; 11-27-2021, 08:18 PM.
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X