• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beavis
    MiceChatter
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post

Fortunately for pirates, teaching their actual historical portrayal isn't a hot bed of political discourse in America where it obviously is for racism and slavery.
    I don't know about fortunately. Pirates sticking around and dressing fancy to auction chickens to the people they'd normally just take money from was a bit of an eyeroller.

Comment

• JLee1226
      MiceChatter
      • Jan 2021

Originally posted by Beavis View Post

I don't know about fortunately. Pirates sticking around and dressing fancy to auction chickens to the people they'd normally just take money from was a bit of an eyeroller.
      ...you know pirates didn't really bury treasure chests, right? A substantial amount of piracy involved more basic cargo, like silk, food, and medicine, goods that did eventually end up getting re-sold.

The supposed "historical accuracy" of POTC is probably the most easily debunked argument for not updating the ride.
      Last edited by JLee1226; 12-14-2021, 08:44 PM.
      "...nostalgia is the worst. It is a toxic impulse that leads to nothing good, honestly. The idea that things were better once and are terrible now and getting worse every minute is what fuels the worst, in my opinion, movements in contemporary culture." - John Hodgman

Comment

• Beavis
        MiceChatter
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

Except the company doesn't appear to be backing down from the idea. If they hypothetically canceled the project, there would likely be public backlash, considering with their recent push for inclusivity in the company as whole.

The ride in it's current state does not benefit in today's relevancy. The last time 1946's Song of the South was released in the US, was back in 1986, 35 years ago. When Splash opened in 1989, only 3 years had passed since the re-release. But, fast foward to today, the film hasn't been seen in it's entirety by some Millennials (like myself), all of Generation Z and the upcoming post-Gen Z group.
        Same logic would say that Small World is due to be made into a Moana boat ride attraction.

Comment

• mickdaddy
          MiceChatter
          • Dec 2009

Same logic would say that Small World is due to be made into a Moana boat ride attraction.
          That is actually not the same logic, Small world is based on the idea of creating world peace for children around the world a relevant and timeless idea that is not tied to an IP at all and Splash mountain is tied to an IP that a large part of the general public have never seen. A child of the 70's I have a memory of the film but have not seen it since I was 8 years old. I think the story of Splash mountain itself is pretty timeless but as an IP tie in probably due for an update. I am very worried about how they will tie the ride system and drops into the story of Princess and the Frog, I am also worried about how they will accomplish the ride sets, If they are not great quality animatronics I want nothing to do with it.
          BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

Seeing how cheap Chapek was with Avenger's Campus, it seems unlikely that he would give the Splash reskin a decent budget... especially when we consider that The Princess and the Frog IP is a much smaller money-maker than Marvel.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

• mickdaddy
              MiceChatter
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
              Seeing how cheap Chapek was with Avenger's Campus, it seems unlikely that he would give the Splash reskin a decent budget... especially when we consider that The Princess and the Frog IP is a much smaller money-maker than Marvel.
              He just said in a press conference that he does not like his bean counter perception, This attraction would be a good way for him to reverse this by unleashing WDI.

Comment

• merlinjones
                Minion
                • Jan 2005

I'm afraid those tacky new Jessica mannequins suggest what to expect here.

(I'll take Br'er Rabbit instead).
                “I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past.” -- Walt Disney

Comment

• merlinjones
                  Minion
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post
                  He just said in a press conference that he does not like his bean counter perception, This attraction would be a good way for him to reverse this by unleashing WDI.
                  This was just an apple polishing PR article (in Financial Times) to try and bend perception. Move along, nothing to see here.
                  “I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past.” -- Walt Disney

Comment

• BasilOregano
                    MiceChatter

• Mar 2021

This really hits the heart of the issue. There's nothing wrong with updating an attraction to keep it caught up to contemporary mores and tastes, but that doesn't excuse replacing something that fundamentally 'works' with something that fundamentally doesn't, and their record recently has been, let's say, spotty. I am a huge fan of the Princess and the Frog, and certainly do see and appreciate the very real issues with Song of the South, but if the "let's do chickens instead" crowd is going to be in charge of the reskin....

Does he not like it enough not to ease up on the bean counting, though? I doubt it.

I'm not sure how many people are getting their HBO max subscriptions to watch old shows like the Sopranos though either. From my own perspective I frequently feel like I'm behind the curve when something has already been out for several seasons and I'm not going to binge it to catch up. I'll hear about it and some people will tell me that a series really gets good after the third season and I'm like, no thanks.

I think the problem for WandaVision is that it was a mystery and you always wanted to know what happens in the next episode. The problem with mysteries is that when you find out whodunit then the mystery is over. I watched the series a second time to see how they put the pieces together which I found riveting the first time, but once you know the secret then you don't need to go back.

I'm watching the Mandalorian again to get ready for Boba Fett and it holds up really well. I haven't rewatched Falcon and Winter Soldier or Loki again yet, but I'm sure that I will at some point.
                    Sure, but if you're the kind of person who is sufficiently into Marvel that you're going to watch and then rewatch something like Falcon and Winter Soldier, or sufficiently into Star Wars that you're going to rewatch Mando to prep for Boba Fett, you're already on Disney+. Obviously there are lots and lots of people in those categories, but if they want to expand their user base, and they definitely do if the venture is to be profitable, they need to consider people who are not that into either IP.

Comment

• mickdaddy
                      MiceChatter
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post

This was just an apple polishing PR article (in Financial Times) to try and bend perception. Move along, nothing to see here.
                      Oh I agree, Was just merely saying there is a way to reverse that perception. Don't be a bean counting tool.

Comment

• jish5555
                        MiceChatter
                        • Jul 2020

Honestly, I'm surprised it took as long as it did for Splash Mountain to get its redesign seeing as how the movie's been negatively received since the 90s (and probably before). If anything, fans of the ride should be happy they were able to ride Splash the way it was for so long, because it could have easily been reskinned back in the early to mid 00s under Iger as he started doing changes around the parks. As for a poll, I think Disney knows there will be a few negative posts for sure and understand the outcry a few fans have already, but also they understand that Splash Mountain is just gonna become much more problematic and that an entire retheme and reskin is necessary sooner rather than later.

Comment

• Beavis
                          MiceChatter
                          • Feb 2015

That is actually not the same logic, Small world is based on the idea of creating world peace for children around the world a relevant and timeless idea that is not tied to an IP at all and Splash mountain is tied to an IP that a large part of the general public have never seen. A child of the 70's I have a memory of the film but have not seen it since I was 8 years old. I think the story of Splash mountain itself is pretty timeless but as an IP tie in probably due for an update. I am very worried about how they will tie the ride system and drops into the story of Princess and the Frog, I am also worried about how they will accomplish the ride sets, If they are not great quality animatronics I want nothing to do with it.
                          Is IP really a factor though if people are unaware of the source as you say? Can you have IP without the I?

The point is, for the vast majority of riders, Splash Mountain's theme is Splash Mountain. No different than IaSW. And I have absolutely no faith that this leadership will develop anything nearly impressive enough to make up for all those decades of lost Disneyland nostalgia. It's going to be a cheap reskin that will remind you more of what's not there anymore than what is.

Comment

• Brian PieGuy
                            MiceChat Moderator

MiceChat Moderator
                            • Nov 2020

I never felt like "outdated IP" was a problem if an attraction is well-done. If forming an attachment to a narrative-based ride requires you to be familiar with another adaptation of said story, then the ride was never that great to begin with. For years I rode Splash Mountain without having seen Song of the South, but I always had a fondness for the story and characters depicted on the ride. I have since seen Song of the South, and doing so has given me a greater appreciation for the ride, but Splash Mountain's narrative stands on its own. As has been mentioned, the story of Brer Rabbit is timeless. There's a reason the Wren's Nest is a popular tourist attraction (the storytellers at that museum are incredible). I understand modern IPs are more profitable, and there is some baggage that comes with the ride's Song of the South connection (though I think less people are aware of that connection than you might think), but I believe Splash Mountain could have existed in its current form for decades to come and been just as beloved by future generations.

Originally posted by jish5555 View Post
                            If anything, fans of the ride should be happy they were able to ride Splash the way it was for so long, because it could have easily been reskinned back in the early to mid 00s under Iger as he started doing changes around the parks.
                            I agree. I imagine a Princess and the Frog retheme has been discussed for almost a decade, and if the movie had been a bigger hit it probably would have been announced several years after the movie came out.
                            “I think, therefore I am... confused.”
                            ― Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Comment

• DaHatTrick
                              Big Hockey Fan
                              • Oct 2009

Uncle Remus’ himself is based upon African-American Folk tales. I pray that Disney doesn’t change Splash Mountain and they forget they ever wanted to change it. Zip A Dee Doo Dah is probably the most Disney song there is. This is all just one bad nightmare and the lockdown has affected us all in numerous ways maybe when it’s all said and done they forget they wanted to change it. Hopefully it’s all just a bunch of steam that needed to be let loose.

Comment

• mickdaddy
                                MiceChatter
                                • Dec 2009

Is IP really a factor though if people are unaware of the source as you say? Can you have IP without the I?

The point is, for the vast majority of riders, Splash Mountain's theme is Splash Mountain. No different than IaSW. And I have absolutely no faith that this leadership will develop anything nearly impressive enough to make up for all those decades of lost Disneyland nostalgia. It's going to be a cheap reskin that will remind you more of what's not there anymore than what is.
                                I agree with you completely, If the :"re-imagining" of Splash mountain is anything less than the quality of the original it will be an utter failure.

Comment

• Co Foo
                                  • Jul 2014

I agree with you completely, If the :"re-imagining" of Splash mountain is anything less than the quality of the original it will be an utter failure.
                                  I think this is true, but I really hope people give it a fair shake.

Comment

• merlinjones
                                    Minion
                                    • Jan 2005

By then it will be too late to save it.

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

...If the :"re-imagining" of Splash mountain is anything less than the quality of the original it will be an utter failure.
                                      One would think. But sadly, the behavior of DLR customers over the past decade -- specifically, what the great majority of DLR customers have shown they will spend their money on -- suggests that lack of quality will not stop them crowding the main gates, or from lining up to ride a Cheapekified ride.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

• Eagleman
                                        Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post

By then it will be too late to save it.
                                        Bingo
                                        Imo

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

One would think. But sadly, the behavior of DLR customers over the past decade -- specifically, what the great majority of DLR customers have shown they will spend their money on -- suggests that lack of quality will not stop them crowding the main gates, or from lining up to ride a Cheapekified ride.
                                        X2 on "SADLY"
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• mickdaddy
                                          MiceChatter
                                          • Dec 2009

I am definitely going to give it a chance and really do hope it is successful if not an upgrade.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X